Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Options

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Hi Cindi

I know what you mean about the aching, I am still running into some of that too.  A while back my GP told me that sometime that aching is caused by marrow shifting into overdrive to keep your blood supply up.  That kind of makes sense because most of my achiness seems to be in my larger bone area where most of your blood suppy id made.  I am still more fatigued that I have been in the past and hope it goes away before I have to start all over next week.  Lou Ann

One more thing

It is day 15 since my last chemo and first back on Taxol/Carbo and yesterday my hair started to fall out.  Tomorrow I will have my husband buzz off what is left and I will dig out my rather huge collection of hats.. I am not dissapointed, knew it was going to happen and besides, it makes me feel like maybe this id working.  After all if it is kelling my hair cells, maybe it is killing those nasty littler cancer cells.  Hugs and prayers for all odf you, Lou Ann

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Hi Cindi

I know what you mean about the aching, I am still running into some of that too.  A while back my GP told me that sometime that aching is caused by marrow shifting into overdrive to keep your blood supply up.  That kind of makes sense because most of my achiness seems to be in my larger bone area where most of your blood suppy id made.  I am still more fatigued that I have been in the past and hope it goes away before I have to start all over next week.  Lou Ann

Maybe that's why my hip is aching a bit

Maybe my marrow in my hip bone is working overtime to keep my blood supply up and that's why it's aching a bit tonight....or maybe I just sat crooked in my chair this afternoon when I took my nap.

I have been getting so many cards, letters and facebook messages encouraging me.  I really didn't realize so many people cared about me.  That's been REALLY nice.  I'm so glad you had that encounter, Anne!

Take care,

Eldri

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    AWK said:

Interesting day today

I was at Cedars getting my neulasta shot.  Everything my doctors have told me is day 14 or 15 post treatment is the low point and in looking at my labs over the past few years that certainly seems true.  I get lab work on day 15 of my cycle and now day 18 too and the turnaround is pretty dramatic.  Plus I get labs in day 1 and 8.  I am still running low in roc, hemoglobin and platelets so I am officially chemo induced anemia.  Wbc counts are good thx to the Neulasta.  Weight loss continues I am now on the eat what you can diet - luckily I had weight to lose but now my clothes just hang on me.  My skinny jeans are now boyfriend jeans!  

Leaving the hospital I got on an elevator with another patient and her friend.  The woman - Elsie looked at me and I thought she looked like she needed some encouragement so I asked her how she was feeling.  She asked if I was in treatment and I said yes (I still have hair and always try to get some make up aka spackle on before I head out).  She looked at me and told me she was tired and not feeling well but added today was her last treatment.  I got so excited for her I said congratulations and i promise you will start feeling better in two weeks.  You need to celebrate Then!  She took my hand, asked my name and thanked me.  Said it was just what she needed to hear.  She headed to her ride then came back and asked how long until her hair starts coming back and I shared mine started about three weeks post chemo.  She asked why I was still in treatment and this is where I struggle with people coming off frontline - I said we were still treating active disease but I am doing well and thriving.  She took my hands, said a blessing, I told her I would keep her in my prayers and that I know she will thrive like I do no matter what.  Her friend came over to me after she was in the car and said that was exactly what Elsie needed to hear.  The thing is - the encounter was so boosting for me, I needed it more than she did.  I shed a few tears driving home, blasted some music and sang to my hearts content.  

These moments of grace make my cancer experience amazing and joyful at times.  I am so glad I am open to them.

hugs to all - Anne

We really never know what the

We really never know what the person is going through and isn't it funny how things come along and give us the 'blessing' we need as well?  Thank you for sharin.  

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options

Maybe that's why my hip is aching a bit

Maybe my marrow in my hip bone is working overtime to keep my blood supply up and that's why it's aching a bit tonight....or maybe I just sat crooked in my chair this afternoon when I took my nap.

I have been getting so many cards, letters and facebook messages encouraging me.  I really didn't realize so many people cared about me.  That's been REALLY nice.  I'm so glad you had that encounter, Anne!

Take care,

Eldri

thanks!

Really appreciate all of the replies.  And, from what a few of you said, I am very hopeful my blood with go up even more by next week.  I'm really curious to see if my side effects are less this time without the Neulasta.  If not, then I guess this is the way it will be until I'm done.  Not looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to a life of NED. So, I'll do what I have to do. And whine to all of you when needed!  :-)

LouAnn, It sure sounds like we have a similar reaction to this. At least for this last round.  Here's hoping we both get a break next time!

Chris, I hope everything builds up fast enough for you to stay on schedule. But, if not... you can join LouAnn and I in the same week. :-)

Anne, I know exactly how you feel about getting back so much when you help someone that needs emotional support. It really is special and comes at unexpected times. And, it turns out to be the perfect times for us. You are an inspiration to all of us!

EZLiving, don't hesitate to take pain meds if your aching gets worse. My doctor encouraged me to not let it get out of control next time.

Cucu, so glad you finished up!  How are your legs doing now? I'm really interested to see how long it takes you to get back to normal.

Love and Hugs to All,

Cindi

• pam0422
    pam0422 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Also waiting for #4, Cindi

My understanding is that the low point for WBC is 10-14 days after chemo, at least for carbo/taxol.  Somebody correct me if I have misunderstood this. After that, the count begins rising.  I went for my blood test today also prior to tomorrow's chemo, but just got word that my WBC is slightly lower than they want.  So now, I go in tomorrow morning for another test, hoping that it will rise.  The differentials indicate that the marrow is still ramping up, and I know that those neutrophils can pop up rather quickly.  That happened last time.  It's close, so if it is still low, chemo will be postponed to early next week as oppposed to any Neulasta.  RBC looks good, though, so I'm happy about that.

Has anyone done anything special to help keep your white blood cells up?  Diet?  Supplements?  I have read some information about astragalus and was wondering if anyone here has used it.  I was disappointed that I was low since last time, my ANC was well into the normal range.  Guess that cumulative effect caught up with me.

I still have eyelashes and eyebrows though they are thinning.  And I still have hair on my head as well.  In fact, it looks like what is left might even be growing! It looks a little unruly, though, not as fuzz-like as it did when first clipped.

Sorry your joints are still hurting.  That I have not experienced.  Hope that goes away before your next infusion, chemosabe.  We may end up on exactly the same schedule if things don't turn around tomorrow!

WBC increased by Orange Juice

My husband used to work on nuclear reactors and was required to have frequent blood work done. If a worker's wbc was too low they weren't allowed to work. When his wbc fell below the required level, the medical office would have him drink a lot of OJ for 48-72 hours,then retest and his counts were always up. 

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    pam0422 said:

WBC increased by Orange Juice

My husband used to work on nuclear reactors and was required to have frequent blood work done. If a worker's wbc was too low they weren't allowed to work. When his wbc fell below the required level, the medical office would have him drink a lot of OJ for 48-72 hours,then retest and his counts were always up. 

Thanks, Pam

I'll keep this in mind for the next cycle.  

• Editgrl
    Options
    our bodies are amazing

In 24 hours my ANC more than tripled to 3. 4.

As Anne said pretty dramatic. So chemo #4 is on for today!

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options

thanks!

Really appreciate all of the replies.  And, from what a few of you said, I am very hopeful my blood with go up even more by next week.  I'm really curious to see if my side effects are less this time without the Neulasta.  If not, then I guess this is the way it will be until I'm done.  Not looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to a life of NED. So, I'll do what I have to do. And whine to all of you when needed!  :-)

LouAnn, It sure sounds like we have a similar reaction to this. At least for this last round.  Here's hoping we both get a break next time!

Chris, I hope everything builds up fast enough for you to stay on schedule. But, if not... you can join LouAnn and I in the same week. :-)

Anne, I know exactly how you feel about getting back so much when you help someone that needs emotional support. It really is special and comes at unexpected times. And, it turns out to be the perfect times for us. You are an inspiration to all of us!

EZLiving, don't hesitate to take pain meds if your aching gets worse. My doctor encouraged me to not let it get out of control next time.

Cucu, so glad you finished up!  How are your legs doing now? I'm really interested to see how long it takes you to get back to normal.

Love and Hugs to All,

Cindi

Cindi

My last chemo was exactly tree weeks ago.As of today no bone pain, no hair anywhere yet, no headache the last few days.

Neuropathy is same bad in my feet, some nights sleeplessness, some days anxiety, but this is normal I guess.

Wish you the best

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

our bodies are amazing

Editgrl,

what is ANC?

I find interesting the idea of drinking OJ.

I drink lemon juice in the morning and Iwill add orange as well.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Cucu me said:

Cindi

My last chemo was exactly tree weeks ago.As of today no bone pain, no hair anywhere yet, no headache the last few days.

Neuropathy is same bad in my feet, some nights sleeplessness, some days anxiety, but this is normal I guess.

Wish you the best

No Bone Pain

Yes! Glad to hear it Cucu.  I actually woke up with no bone pain or muscle aches today.  So glad to have a break before next Thursday.

Have you asked your doctor about the neuropathy in your feet?  It has only been 3 weeks so hopefully that will change soon.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Editgrl said:

our bodies are amazing

Good!

Glad you get to stay on schedule Chris. You ROCK!

I hope you continue to have the same impacts.  Good luck this week.

• Lou Ann M
    Options

No Bone Pain

Yes! Glad to hear it Cucu.  I actually woke up with no bone pain or muscle aches today.  So glad to have a break before next Thursday.

Have you asked your doctor about the neuropathy in your feet?  It has only been 3 weeks so hopefully that will change soon.

So glad the bone pain went

So glad the bone pain went away,  Lou Ann

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    Cucu me said:

Cindi

Wish you the best

Hi Cucu me

I like that name a lot,  would fit me too.  I also have Nueropathy in my feet  I finally let the dr, give me a prescriptipn for Gabapentin and it is helping some, but I accidently stumpled accross somthing else that works   Before I had the surgery for my bowel blockage I was told to take Lorazipan for nausia and it madae the burning in my feet go away and let me sleep.  Hugs ands prayers, Lou Ann

• Editgrl
    Options
    Cucu me said:

Editgrl,

what is ANC?

I find interesting the idea of drinking OJ.

I drink lemon juice in the morning and Iwill add orange as well.

ANC and white blood cells

stands for Absolute Neutrophll Count.  The way it was explained to me is that as far WBC goes oncologists are most interested in the number of white blood cells and the ANC. It is calculated by taking the number of your WBC in your CBC differential and multiplying it by the percent of neutrophils from your WBC differential then multiplying by ten.  So today, my WBC was 4.0 x 85 x 10 = 3400.  My lab divides by 1000 and then rounds off to get 3.4 today.  As I said, yesterday it was 1.1.  On my test results, it is labelled as Neutrophils auto count.  I imagine other labs might call it something else.

Chemo went well today though it was a long day because I had to go in early for the blood test, then the appointment with my oncologist and then the chemo.  Today I got 3 pre-meds, Pepcid, Benadryl and Decadron.  The Decadron was a new one for me IV, though I take the pills 12 and 6 hours prior to chemo. They also didn't give me the Zofran tablets before, though I took the tablets myself 30 minutes prior to chemo.  So far, so good, though so I'm not going to complain yet.

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    Editgrl said:

stands for Absolute Neutrophll Count.  The way it was explained to me is that as far WBC goes oncologists are most interested in the number of white blood cells and the ANC. It is calculated by taking the number of your WBC in your CBC differential and multiplying it by the percent of neutrophils from your WBC differential then multiplying by ten.  So today, my WBC was 4.0 x 85 x 10 = 3400.  My lab divides by 1000 and then rounds off to get 3.4 today.  As I said, yesterday it was 1.1.  On my test results, it is labelled as Neutrophils auto count.  I imagine other labs might call it something else.

Chemo went well today though it was a long day because I had to go in early for the blood test, then the appointment with my oncologist and then the chemo.  Today I got 3 pre-meds, Pepcid, Benadryl and Decadron.  The Decadron was a new one for me IV, though I take the pills 12 and 6 hours prior to chemo. They also didn't give me the Zofran tablets before, though I took the tablets myself 30 minutes prior to chemo.  So far, so good, though so I'm not going to complain yet.

Glad you got to stay on

Glad you got to stay on schedule and that your day went well even though it was long.  It is dissappointing when you have to postpone treatment.  I have had to several time, but always because of low platelet counts.  Came close with the neutrophils once, just made it over the cut off mark.  I aways felt like I had been a bad girl and sent home from school.

i am happy that youn got your trip in before your chemo, We all need time, when we can forget this stuff.  I admit I am a little jealous, I love watching the ocean.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• joyce6611
    joyce6611 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Information

When were you first diagnosed with cancer?  What stage is it?

I have just been diagnosed with recurrence.  I now have metastic endometrial of both lungs.

• Editgrl
    Options
    joyce6611 said:

Information

When were you first diagnosed with cancer?  What stage is it?

I have just been diagnosed with recurrence.  I now have metastic endometrial of both lungs.

Welcome, Joyce

I'm sorry to hear about your recurrence but glad that you found this board.

I don't know if your question was addressed to anyone specifically or just a general question for this group.  I was diagnosed in June of this year, uterine carcinosarcoma Stage 3c, Grade 3.

If you click on the names of the posters, many of us have more detailed information about our diagnosis and treatments on our "About Me" page. There is a wealth of information and support here for you.  

Chris

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Options
    AWK said:

Interesting day today

I was at Cedars getting my neulasta shot.  Everything my doctors have told me is day 14 or 15 post treatment is the low point and in looking at my labs over the past few years that certainly seems true.  I get lab work on day 15 of my cycle and now day 18 too and the turnaround is pretty dramatic.  Plus I get labs in day 1 and 8.  I am still running low in roc, hemoglobin and platelets so I am officially chemo induced anemia.  Wbc counts are good thx to the Neulasta.  Weight loss continues I am now on the eat what you can diet - luckily I had weight to lose but now my clothes just hang on me.  My skinny jeans are now boyfriend jeans!  

Leaving the hospital I got on an elevator with another patient and her friend.  The woman - Elsie looked at me and I thought she looked like she needed some encouragement so I asked her how she was feeling.  She asked if I was in treatment and I said yes (I still have hair and always try to get some make up aka spackle on before I head out).  She looked at me and told me she was tired and not feeling well but added today was her last treatment.  I got so excited for her I said congratulations and i promise you will start feeling better in two weeks.  You need to celebrate Then!  She took my hand, asked my name and thanked me.  Said it was just what she needed to hear.  She headed to her ride then came back and asked how long until her hair starts coming back and I shared mine started about three weeks post chemo.  She asked why I was still in treatment and this is where I struggle with people coming off frontline - I said we were still treating active disease but I am doing well and thriving.  She took my hands, said a blessing, I told her I would keep her in my prayers and that I know she will thrive like I do no matter what.  Her friend came over to me after she was in the car and said that was exactly what Elsie needed to hear.  The thing is - the encounter was so boosting for me, I needed it more than she did.  I shed a few tears driving home, blasted some music and sang to my hearts content.  

These moments of grace make my cancer experience amazing and joyful at times.  I am so glad I am open to them.

hugs to all - Anne

Anne you are JOY on legs our cheer leader without the pom poms.

Saying hello opens the door to talk to somebody, It may be the best thing that happens to them that day ,month,or year.

Hope you get back all the love you give, some way ,somehow ,

Plenty love,Stay strong and positive. Moli

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Chris

Hey, checking in to see how you did this time?  Just think.... 2 more to go for you!

Also, I get red/purple cheeks from the Decadron in the IV. Did you get that?

Take care Chemosabe....

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Options

Chris

Hey, checking in to see how you did this time?  Just think.... 2 more to go for you!

Also, I get red/purple cheeks from the Decadron in the IV. Did you get that?

Take care Chemosabe....

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Rosy cheeks

Cindi, I remembered somebody had talked about flushing.  I did not get the red cheeks during chemo, but the next day, yes, I looked like I had spent some time in the sun!  It was a bit better on Sunday and now it is gone. I am going to ask my doctor why they added the IV decadron.  I checked over my records, and I'm pretty sure they didn't give it to me IV the last 3 times.  I just had the tablets.

Other than that, side effects have been pretty much the same as last time.  I even felt better on the third day than usual, fewer stomach pains, except I am falling asleep earlier and earlier in front of the TV! One new thing was a little bit of aching in my knee joints.  But I think I missed taking a Claritin on one day, so that might have contributed to that.

Hoping that things continue okay.  I have layed in a store of OJ and beets, and will pick up some tahini tomorrow to hopefully help with the white blood counts.  Oh, yeah, and salmon, too.  Don't know if any of this will help, but I don't think it can hurt, either.  

Next week I'm taking a couple of days away and me and the BF are staying in a friend's house 3 blocks from the beach in Capitola, just south of Santa Cruz. Yea!  More beach time.  I'll be thinking about you, Lou Ann.  I love the ocean, too.   And the BF and I haven't had any time away together since before his prostate cancer diagnosis a year ago August. He finished with his treatments and post-treatment appointments just a few days before my diagnosis, so we've been living in cancerland non-stop for a while. I'm hoping it will be a "cancer-free" few days for us.

Yes, Cindi, we are getting close to the end of this phase.  I'm still optimistic that we will be finished before Christmas.  What a great Christmas, birthday, and New Year's celebration it will be!

Lou Ann, I hope your numbers come back up for next week.  

Hugs to all my chemosabes!

Chris