Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Options

Comments

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Chemo halfway done

I had my third infusion on Friday after having to have two blood tests because WBC was low on the first one.  My doctor is frustrated that they (HMO) asks to have the blood test 48 hours prior to appointment with her and her appointment is 48 hours prior to chemo.  She is now requesting that I have my blood work done the morning of the appointment with her.  What was amazing was how much my WBC rose in 3 days, ANC from .8 to 2.3.  Pretty interesting.  My RBC counts remain at the low end of normal, but I managed to increase my platelets.

In any case, I felt well enough to attend my 45th high school reunion Saturday night.  I overdid, staying up until 1:30am, and pretty much vegged Sunday and yesterday.  Feeling a bit more energetic today.  Surprisingly, so far, I am not having the stomach pains that I have had with the first two rounds.  There was a bit Saturday afternoon, but other than that, it has been minimal.  So far, constipation has been at bay, too, now that I started with Miralax the day before.  Skipped going for a few days, though I was comfortable, then made up for it yesterday!  Guess that is going to be the MO.

Looking forward to sailing with friends on Friday, and a long weekend with my girlfriends the following week.  It's an annual getaway to the Monterey Bay that's been going on for over 20 years, and I'm so glad that we were able to plan it this year, too.  Hope my good luck with side effects holds out.

Sending good thoughts to Teddy&BearsMom and LouAnn this week.  

Chris

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    mary8237 said:

hair loss

Thank you for responding.  It really helps to know what to expect. Have you heard of anyone in stage 1 who has declined chemo initially and chose   observation? 

miss mary, I see you haven't

miss mary, I see you haven't been on for a little while, so I do hope you come back.  

I worked throughtout all my treatment.  Of course, chemo was an all day thing, so I had to take off on those days.  

Doctors will tell you treatment is ALWAYS your option.  However, I don't think anyone with UPSC has been told by their gyn/oncs that observation its he route to go.  It is always your decision, my radiologist could tell you I really pushed back on getting that, but in the end I decided to do it.

Please let us know how you are doing.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Chemo halfway done

I had my third infusion on Friday after having to have two blood tests because WBC was low on the first one.  My doctor is frustrated that they (HMO) asks to have the blood test 48 hours prior to appointment with her and her appointment is 48 hours prior to chemo.  She is now requesting that I have my blood work done the morning of the appointment with her.  What was amazing was how much my WBC rose in 3 days, ANC from .8 to 2.3.  Pretty interesting.  My RBC counts remain at the low end of normal, but I managed to increase my platelets.

In any case, I felt well enough to attend my 45th high school reunion Saturday night.  I overdid, staying up until 1:30am, and pretty much vegged Sunday and yesterday.  Feeling a bit more energetic today.  Surprisingly, so far, I am not having the stomach pains that I have had with the first two rounds.  There was a bit Saturday afternoon, but other than that, it has been minimal.  So far, constipation has been at bay, too, now that I started with Miralax the day before.  Skipped going for a few days, though I was comfortable, then made up for it yesterday!  Guess that is going to be the MO.

Looking forward to sailing with friends on Friday, and a long weekend with my girlfriends the following week.  It's an annual getaway to the Monterey Bay that's been going on for over 20 years, and I'm so glad that we were able to plan it this year, too.  Hope my good luck with side effects holds out.

Sending good thoughts to Teddy&BearsMom and LouAnn this week.  

Chris

I am so glad you got to go to

I am so glad you got to go to your high school reunion.  Enjoy your sailing trip and time at Montery Bay.. We have been through there once and loved the aquarium.  we all need to take anvantage of the fun times.  Sometimes just getting away makes you feel better.  Put stupid cancer out of your heasd for awhile.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

I am so glad you got to go to

I am so glad you got to go to your high school reunion.  Enjoy your sailing trip and time at Montery Bay.. We have been through there once and loved the aquarium.  we all need to take anvantage of the fun times.  Sometimes just getting away makes you feel better.  Put stupid cancer out of your heasd for awhile.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Chris

So glad you were able to attend the reunion! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. And, based on your chemo history, I'm betting you will be able to enjoy the other fun things you have planned. Life is way too precious not to grab every single moment of our healthy times. I'm starting Miralax today! Not going to take a chance on waiting until chemo day tomorrow. Thanks for posting that reminder.

Love and hugs,

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Chemo - Round 3 (would have been weekly 9)

I am half way there! Took a lot longer today. They want me to go in earlier next time since we had to stay after 5:00.

I'm a bit bummed out.  Even after having a couple of weeks off of chemo, my white blood count was too low. :-(  .....  So, why do weekly if it doesn't keep the darn blood counts up high enough? That was the point of doing it. Darn it!

They went on and did my treatment but I had to agree to have a Neulasta shot.  So, I have this thing on the back of my left bicep muscle. Apparently, it releases over a 27 hour period. Then I can take it off.  They are having me take Claritin and Aleeve to help manage the bone pain.  They suggested taking both for 5 days. Starting today.

From a chemo impact perspective - I am not hurting yet. But I am absolutely NOT hungry! Very thirsty though. I'm not going to push it tonight. I'll drink and only eat if I feel like it. Then, start out with watermelon tomorrow.

I'll post more as I experience this new way for me.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Options

I am half way there! Took a lot longer today. They want me to go in earlier next time since we had to stay after 5:00.

I'm a bit bummed out.  Even after having a couple of weeks off of chemo, my white blood count was too low. :-(  .....  So, why do weekly if it doesn't keep the darn blood counts up high enough? That was the point of doing it. Darn it!

They went on and did my treatment but I had to agree to have a Neulasta shot.  So, I have this thing on the back of my left bicep muscle. Apparently, it releases over a 27 hour period. Then I can take it off.  They are having me take Claritin and Aleeve to help manage the bone pain.  They suggested taking both for 5 days. Starting today.

From a chemo impact perspective - I am not hurting yet. But I am absolutely NOT hungry! Very thirsty though. I'm not going to push it tonight. I'll drink and only eat if I feel like it. Then, start out with watermelon tomorrow.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

A long day

Yes, the infusion takes a long time because of the Taxol, I think.  My taxol alone takes 3 hours. It's almost 5 hours total each time.  I was happy last time when they moved my chemo up to 9:15am.  But they've scheduled my next one for 11:15, so there goes the day.

That sucks about the white blood count.  So is the Nuelasta a shot or a patch?  I had always heard shot.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Editgrl said:

A long day

Yes, the infusion takes a long time because of the Taxol, I think.  My taxol alone takes 3 hours. It's almost 5 hours total each time.  I was happy last time when they moved my chemo up to 9:15am.  But they've scheduled my next one for 11:15, so there goes the day.

That sucks about the white blood count.  So is the Nuelasta a shot or a patch?  I had always heard shot.

Nuelasta

It is a shot patch.  I have never seen anything like it.  It is about a 2" square and about 1/4" high.  They tape it on your arm or stomach.  Then, it makes some noises to activate it, then it pops. That pop is the needle sticking into your skin.  It feels kind of like a bee sting.  My nurse then wrapped it with that sticky cloth ace bandage stuff. She doesn't want me to get it wet. So no shower tomorrow. 

It is supposed to boost the bones to build the marrow.  That's why the bones hurt.

• Lou Ann M
    Options

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Hi Cindi

I have had a very similar day.  The Carbo desensitization took 8 hours but it worked.  i did not have a reaction to it.  The Taxol today took over 5 hours with everything else that went along.  It took a new nurse forever to access my port.  She finally called in a lab tech to do it.  Then the pharmcy took forever to get the meds down.  I also   got the Nuelasta patch.  it was a new thing here and saves a 60 mile trip tommorrow.  Mine is attached below my ribs on my upper abs.  I am a little worried about rolling on it while I am sleeping.  I hae aways ha the Nuelasta shot and have had no reactions to it.  I blamed it for the bone pain I had 2 days after, but found out that was actually coming from the Taxol.  I use Hydrocodone for 2 nights and that usually takes care of the pain.  I also use the Claritin.  I came home just completely exhausted today.  hoping you have a good weekend and find someting you can eat.  I know it will be hard for me.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Lou Ann M
    Options

Nuelasta

It is a shot patch.  I have never seen anything like it.  It is about a 2" square and about 1/4" high.  They tape it on your arm or stomach.  Then, it makes some noises to activate it, then it pops. That pop is the needle sticking into your skin.  It feels kind of like a bee sting.  My nurse then wrapped it with that sticky cloth ace bandage stuff. She doesn't want me to get it wet. So no shower tomorrow. 

It is supposed to boost the bones to build the marrow.  That's why the bones hurt.

same here

I wish my nurse had wrapped mine with tape  It is just stuck there waiting until 3 tomorrow.  Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Hi Cindi

I have had a very similar day.  The Carbo desensitization took 8 hours but it worked.  i did not have a reaction to it.  The Taxol today took over 5 hours with everything else that went along.  It took a new nurse forever to access my port.  She finally called in a lab tech to do it.  Then the pharmcy took forever to get the meds down.  I also   got the Nuelasta patch.  it was a new thing here and saves a 60 mile trip tommorrow.  Mine is attached below my ribs on my upper abs.  I am a little worried about rolling on it while I am sleeping.  I hae aways ha the Nuelasta shot and have had no reactions to it.  I blamed it for the bone pain I had 2 days after, but found out that was actually coming from the Taxol.  I use Hydrocodone for 2 nights and that usually takes care of the pain.  I also use the Claritin.  I came home just completely exhausted today.  hoping you have a good weekend and find someting you can eat.  I know it will be hard for me.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Lou Ann

I'm really glad to hear that you were able to accept the Carbo! That is GREAT NEWS!

I had mine put on my left arm since I still have port problems and can't sleep on that side anyway.

So far I'm not doing bad.  In fact, I may be getting a little hungry.  Might try some chicken noodle soup.  :-)

Take care of yourself! We can do this....

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

same here

I wish my nurse had wrapped mine with tape  It is just stuck there waiting until 3 tomorrow.  Lou Ann

You ladies are making me grateful for the shot!

I get a shot and haven't had any issues with it.  I take the Claritin daily too starting the day of the shot but only for three days.  I haven't had any issues with it at all.   

So glad you switched to the 21 day cycle Cindi!  And Lou Ann I am glad your doctors are being proactive.  When I had frontline my carbo ortIon of treatment lasted five or so hours, the total day was about eight and a half.  I loved that Doctor!  Much easier in my system than a friend of mine had whose Doctor didn't administer as slowly.  

I have been a little quiet ish lately as I am still dealing with bone marrow issues.  Platelet counts, he,ogle in and red blood cells are all low.  My energy is pretty depleted - and I am fairly nauseous.  I also had my first ureter stent replacement which went well.  Tomorrow is a transfusion day for both platelets, blood and iron.  Then I will be ready to dance all weekend!  Unless of course my counts really turn around tonight.  

I haven't ridden in a couple of weeks and am in need of my equine therapy!

• Editgrl
    Options
    AWK said:

I get a shot and haven't had any issues with it.  I take the Claritin daily too starting the day of the shot but only for three days.  I haven't had any issues with it at all.   

So glad you switched to the 21 day cycle Cindi!  And Lou Ann I am glad your doctors are being proactive.  When I had frontline my carbo ortIon of treatment lasted five or so hours, the total day was about eight and a half.  I loved that Doctor!  Much easier in my system than a friend of mine had whose Doctor didn't administer as slowly.  

I have been a little quiet ish lately as I am still dealing with bone marrow issues.  Platelet counts, he,ogle in and red blood cells are all low.  My energy is pretty depleted - and I am fairly nauseous.  I also had my first ureter stent replacement which went well.  Tomorrow is a transfusion day for both platelets, blood and iron.  Then I will be ready to dance all weekend!  Unless of course my counts really turn around tonight.  

Dance away!

Sorry that you are having such a rough time right now and I hope transfusion day brings you lots of new energy.  At least enough for you to get out to the barn.  Lots of wisdom and peace in the eye of a horse.

• Editgrl
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Hi Cindi

Good news about the carbo, LouAnn

Sorry that it has to be such an exhausting day.  Sending positive energy and healing thoughts to get you through the next few days.

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    AWK said:

iPad issues

Hemoglobin.  I swear I can type, spell and am fairly decent with grammar.  A.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    AWK said:

iPad issues

Hemoglobin.  I swear I can type, spell and am fairly decent with grammar.  A.

Spelling, etc...

We have all been there done that! And no one cares anyway. (Except us when we are the ones with the typos. lol)

I thought you must be having some low energy days since you have been quiet. Sorry about that! I sure hope the push gives you the needed strength to get back out there in peace land with you wonderful horse.

I found out after reading all the material that the Nuelasta doesn't actually release until 27 hours after the placement. It really is an interesting tool. So, I won't know until later tonight what kind of reaction I may have. I sure hope it is "only" the bone pain and not those really serious things they have to list! Kind of scary. But I keep hearing your wisdom on the impacts that you have had Anne :-)

From a larger does of chemo perspective, I am feeling a bit of muscle aches in my legs today. Not too bad but I'm aware that something isn't exactly normal. I have been able to do most of my weekly house cleaning that I do on Fridays before the chemo fatigue hits over the weekend.  So, it looks like my pattern is going to be about the same for the hit of impacts as it was with the weekly.  Albeit, probably more intense.  Time will tell!

I am way more thirsty this time. Probably not a bad thing since liquids help flush it all out.

Love and hugs,

Cindi

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Spelling, etc...

We have all been there done that! And no one cares anyway. (Except us when we are the ones with the typos. lol)

I thought you must be having some low energy days since you have been quiet. Sorry about that! I sure hope the push gives you the needed strength to get back out there in peace land with you wonderful horse.

I found out after reading all the material that the Nuelasta doesn't actually release until 27 hours after the placement. It really is an interesting tool. So, I won't know until later tonight what kind of reaction I may have. I sure hope it is "only" the bone pain and not those really serious things they have to list! Kind of scary. But I keep hearing your wisdom on the impacts that you have had Anne :-)

From a larger does of chemo perspective, I am feeling a bit of muscle aches in my legs today. Not too bad but I'm aware that something isn't exactly normal. I have been able to do most of my weekly house cleaning that I do on Fridays before the chemo fatigue hits over the weekend.  So, it looks like my pattern is going to be about the same for the hit of impacts as it was with the weekly.  Albeit, probably more intense.  Time will tell!

I am way more thirsty this time. Probably not a bad thing since liquids help flush it all out.

Love and hugs,

Cindi

Courage my sisters!

One week after chemo #6 I'm feeling better finally, but with headache, bone pain in differnet times of the day and the neuropathy in my feet.

Cindi, I hope you won't have bone pain after Neulasta and feel better with the 3weeks cycle.

Chris, I worry about your low blood counts.

Lou Ann you are brave woman.

Wish to all of us luck.

In December I'm going to have a scanner and follow up appointent.

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

I read through all your comments and they are VERY helpful.  I get my port installed on the 26th and start chemo on the 27th.  I need a port since I only have one visible vein on my body which is in the inside of the crook of my right arm and they use it for everything.  I am going to pick out a wig next week while I still have my hair so they can match it as closely as possible.  Here in Wisconsin you don't want to be without something on you head in the winter!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

Hello ladies!

I read through all your comments and they are VERY helpful.  I get my port installed on the 26th and start chemo on the 27th.  I need a port since I only have one visible vein on my body which is in the inside of the crook of my right arm and they use it for everything.  I am going to pick out a wig next week while I still have my hair so they can match it as closely as possible.  Here in Wisconsin you don't want to be without something on you head in the winter!

Hi

You are making a good start.  Even if you had wonderful veins, the port is the way to go.  Quick tip:  get into your bra right after they put it in.  It prevents tugging on the incision from the weight of your breast.  My recovery room nurse taught me that.

we will look forward to getting acquainted with you.  As you can see from reading past posts,  most people find the whole thing isn't anything like they dreaded.  However there are practical considerations to make it easier.  Hint:  read and pay attention to what you read about bowels.

• Editgrl
    Options

Hello ladies!

Hello, EZLiving

Yes, you will be very happy you got the port.  You will be sore for maybe a week or so after it is put in, but it makes everything so much easier. 

I have a wig, but I find that I am using a combination of various headcoverings.  Scarves that I never had much of a use for, old t-shirts as a wrap, and pre-tied scarves that I found online at TLC.  The other day I wore a pre-tied scarf over my wig, and I swear, I looked ten years younger, lol!

If you've read the other posts, you have seen what some of us have been dealing with regarding chemo.  If I could only tell you one thing, it would be to stay well-hydrated and be proactive regarding constipation.  That is something that I never had to deal with before chemo.  Now I start with Mira-lax the day before chemo and several days after.  Everyone's body is different, but it takes mine about a week after chemo to get back to normal.

Welcome to the group...  sorry you're here, but glad that you found us.  Vent, ask questions, this group of women is such a great source of info and support.  I don't know how I would be dealing with everything if I hadn't found them!

Chris

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    ConnieSW said:

Hi

You are making a good start.  Even if you had wonderful veins, the port is the way to go.  Quick tip:  get into your bra right after they put it in.  It prevents tugging on the incision from the weight of your breast.  My recovery room nurse taught me that.

we will look forward to getting acquainted with you.  As you can see from reading past posts,  most people find the whole thing isn't anything like they dreaded.  However there are practical considerations to make it easier.  Hint:  read and pay attention to what you read about bowels.

Thanks for the advise

i will make sure I ask for the bra.  I really don't have any boobs to speak of - LOL, but anything that helps, right?