Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Comments

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Editgrl said:

Hello, EZLiving

Yes, you will be very happy you got the port.  You will be sore for maybe a week or so after it is put in, but it makes everything so much easier. 

I have a wig, but I find that I am using a combination of various headcoverings.  Scarves that I never had much of a use for, old t-shirts as a wrap, and pre-tied scarves that I found online at TLC.  The other day I wore a pre-tied scarf over my wig, and I swear, I looked ten years younger, lol!

If you've read the other posts, you have seen what some of us have been dealing with regarding chemo.  If I could only tell you one thing, it would be to stay well-hydrated and be proactive regarding constipation.  That is something that I never had to deal with before chemo.  Now I start with Mira-lax the day before chemo and several days after.  Everyone's body is different, but it takes mine about a week after chemo to get back to normal.

Welcome to the group...  sorry you're here, but glad that you found us.  Vent, ask questions, this group of women is such a great source of info and support.  I don't know how I would be dealing with everything if I hadn't found them!

Chris

Thanks for the info!

It should be interesting to see what happens because my whole life I've had chronic diarhea made worse with stress.  Even after my hysterectomy they were going to give me a laxative and I told the nurse, "been there; done that" when I was in the bathroom to urinate.  She told me that doesn't often happen!  

I will be sure to keep drinking my water; I sip all day long because I get dehydrated easily.  This may be the first time in my life I won't have to worry where the closest bathroom is.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member

Hello ladies!

I read through all your comments and they are VERY helpful.  I get my port installed on the 26th and start chemo on the 27th.  I need a port since I only have one visible vein on my body which is in the inside of the crook of my right arm and they use it for everything.  I am going to pick out a wig next week while I still have my hair so they can match it as closely as possible.  Here in Wisconsin you don't want to be without something on you head in the winter!

I am also glad that you are

I am also glad that you are getting a port.  It will make life a lot simpler.  I tried a wig and scarves, but ended up feeling most comfortable with hats.  It is also cold where I live, and hats kept my head warmer.  Get a soft cuddly hat for bedtime.  My head always got cold at night.  So sorry you had to join this club, but it is a great place for information and support.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• EZLiving66
    Lou Ann M said:

I am also glad that you are

I am also glad that you are getting a port.  It will make life a lot simpler.  I tried a wig and scarves, but ended up feeling most comfortable with hats.  It is also cold where I live, and hats kept my head warmer.  Get a soft cuddly hat for bedtime.  My head always got cold at night.  So sorry you had to join this club, but it is a great place for information and support.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Thank you, Lou Ann!

Cool

LOL, I have a huge head and have never found a hat to fit me except visors.  I was looking at the scarves at a website someone mentioned on here and am going to order a few for winter. I am lucky there is a wig/hat/masectomy store right by my hospital so will make an appointment to get a custom wig and hopefully a cap to wear at night.  Our youngest daughter who's a senior in college told me I should get an electric blue one....but I think shoulder length blonde hair would suit me better ;).

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member

Thank you, Lou Ann!

Cool

LOL, I have a huge head and have never found a hat to fit me except visors.  I was looking at the scarves at a website someone mentioned on here and am going to order a few for winter. I am lucky there is a wig/hat/masectomy store right by my hospital so will make an appointment to get a custom wig and hopefully a cap to wear at night.  Our youngest daughter who's a senior in college told me I should get an electric blue one....but I think shoulder length blonde hair would suit me better ;).

EZLiving - LOVE your little

EZLiving - LOVE your little dog picture.  What a cutie!

If you are from Green Bay wouln't your cap be green and yellow for the Packers? Tongue Out  

I have to say, between you and Lou Ann, your attitudes AMAZE me.  

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

If you are from Green Bay wouln't your cap be green and yellow for the Packers? Tongue Out  

Chemo - Round 3 (would have been weekly 9)Impact updates

It is going to be a bit difficult figuring out impacts this time since I had the Neulasta shot.  I'm going to make two assumptions:  1. My fatigue is LESS this time because the Neulasta pumped my blood up 2.  My bones hurt like crazy because of the Neulasta.

My face was the usual red like on the weekly except it was almost a purple it was so dark. And, my head and neck also got red.  Resolved in the normal 2 days.

I had itching this time that I didn't have with the weekly.  Mostly on my face, eyes and head that lasted for 3 days. I have a feeling I'm going to lose my eyebrows with this one.

My right thigh has more tingling and numbness than before. And my fingertips seem to be a bit numb as well.  No pain, just kind of pins and needles sensation.

Stomach issues were the normal impacts to weekly. Not bad and were easily managed with the meds. 

Overall, it seems like every 3 weeks is a better way to go than weekly.  While I'm not out of the impact phase yet, I have a good feeling that I will be having at least two decent weeks before the next hit.

Neulasta impacts: The patch released the meds at 9PM Friday night. (It goes under the skin.) By Saturday night I had some bone pain but it wasn't bad.  By Sunday morning the bone pain was fairly significant. I wouldn't say excruciating, but it was a steady hurt for sure. My legs ached the most and stayed steady. My hips hurt off and on. And other places would hurt just for a while and then go away.  I was not able to take my daily walk.  Today (Monday) the bone pain is better but still hanging around in my legs and hips.  I'm going to try and walk tonight.  I was able to walk around my yard a bit with some limping. I think I turned 90 over night.  On the positive side of things... My breathing doesn't seem to be as labored and as stated above, my fatigue is not as heavy.

Question: For those that have used Neulasta and got the bone pain, how long did it take to resolve?

Love and Hugs!

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Cucu me said:

Courage my sisters!

One week after chemo #6 I'm feeling better finally, but with headache, bone pain in differnet times of the day and the neuropathy in my feet.

Cindi, I hope you won't have bone pain after Neulasta and feel better with the 3weeks cycle.

Chris, I worry about your low blood counts.

Lou Ann you are brave woman.

Wish to all of us luck.

In December I'm going to have a scanner and follow up appointent.

Cucu

Time to celebrate!  I'm so happy for you!  Congrats on hitting that finish line and being over the impacts!!!!

I posted my Neulasta impacts down further in the thread.  :-)

• TeddyandBears_Mom

It is going to be a bit difficult figuring out impacts this time since I had the Neulasta shot.  I'm going to make two assumptions:  1. My fatigue is LESS this time because the Neulasta pumped my blood up 2.  My bones hurt like crazy because of the Neulasta.

My face was the usual red like on the weekly except it was almost a purple it was so dark. And, my head and neck also got red.  Resolved in the normal 2 days.

I had itching this time that I didn't have with the weekly.  Mostly on my face, eyes and head that lasted for 3 days. I have a feeling I'm going to lose my eyebrows with this one.

My right thigh has more tingling and numbness than before. And my fingertips seem to be a bit numb as well.  No pain, just kind of pins and needles sensation.

Stomach issues were the normal impacts to weekly. Not bad and were easily managed with the meds. 

Overall, it seems like every 3 weeks is a better way to go than weekly.  While I'm not out of the impact phase yet, I have a good feeling that I will be having at least two decent weeks before the next hit.

Neulasta impacts: The patch released the meds at 9PM Friday night. (It goes under the skin.) By Saturday night I had some bone pain but it wasn't bad.  By Sunday morning the bone pain was fairly significant. I wouldn't say excruciating, but it was a steady hurt for sure. My legs ached the most and stayed steady. My hips hurt off and on. And other places would hurt just for a while and then go away.  I was not able to take my daily walk.  Today (Monday) the bone pain is better but still hanging around in my legs and hips.  I'm going to try and walk tonight.  I was able to walk around my yard a bit with some limping. I think I turned 90 over night.  On the positive side of things... My breathing doesn't seem to be as labored and as stated above, my fatigue is not as heavy.

Question: For those that have used Neulasta and got the bone pain, how long did it take to resolve?

Love and Hugs!

Cindi

EZ Living

I agree with all the other ladies that have responded to you.  Sorry you had to join us but glad you found us.

Your attitude will carry you through this.  You will have your good days and trying ones. And through it all, we will be here to celebrate with you and pick you up if you need it.

There are a lot of us going through this journey now and many more that have been there, done that and provide us a wealth of experience.

BTW, glad you are getting the port. I debated initially and made the right decision by getting it.

Love and Hugs!

Cindi

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member

Love and Hugs!

Cindi

Hi Cindi

What i thought was pain from the Neulasta shot usually lasted about 2 days.  For me the pain was coming from the Taxol. and not from the Neulasta.  I was really giving Neulasta a bad name until I had to Taxol treatmernts without the Neulasta and I still hgad the bone pain.  I had several Doxil treatments with the Neulasta and had no pain.

My Neulasta shot started at about 3:30 and lasted about 45 minutes.  I am not sure if i like the patch or the shot better.  The shot hurt and I had to drive 60 miles to get it the next day, but i thought the patch was kind of stressful.

i hope by now you are starting to feel better.  I have gone through the usually side effects for me.  Indigestion, bone paine, no appitite and fatigue.  Now I am starting to feel a little better.  can't say this is any fun, but i do like this better than the Doxil, because I at least know what kind and when I will have side effects.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member

Love and Hugs!

Cindi

Hi!

Regarding the Neulasta ask them if you can take Claritin for it.  My doctors and a few of my Chemosabes docs have them doing this and none of us had bone  pain related to the shot.  

I am still battling the blood counts and have low energy, am hoping this turns soon with the various boosters they are giving me.  I need my equine therapy:).  Tomorrow is scan day and hopefully the positive news will continue and keep me in the trial.  I will update everyone once I know!

good to see all of the dialogue here!  Hugs to all - Anne

• EZLiving66

That's my little boy!

LOL, at the hospital where I'm getting chemo treatments, they give you a FREE green and gold Packer hat.  I thought about getting a green and gold wig but thought that might be a little out there for an old lady Sealed.  As a matter of fact, Aaron Rodgers is the spokesperson for their healthcare system.  We have season Packer tickets we inherited from my stepdad - that's about the only way you get season tickets around here and the first thing I did when I got my chemo schedule was to figure out if I could make that Thanksgiving game where they're going to retire Brett Favre's jersey.  

The little dog is my little Maltese, Spunky! He's the first dog I ever had who is all MINE!!  We've always had dogs but they were family dogs and usually cocker spaniels.  I was thinking of ways I could sneak him into the hospital for my chemo.  I thought I could tell everyone that he's my son, Timmy, who has dogabetis (that's when a little boy looks like a Maltese).  I have clothes for him including a winter coat - think it would work???  LOLOLOL!!!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    AWK said:

Hi!

Regarding the Neulasta ask them if you can take Claritin for it.  My doctors and a few of my Chemosabes docs have them doing this and none of us had bone  pain related to the shot.  

I am still battling the blood counts and have low energy, am hoping this turns soon with the various boosters they are giving me.  I need my equine therapy:).  Tomorrow is scan day and hopefully the positive news will continue and keep me in the trial.  I will update everyone once I know!

good to see all of the dialogue here!  Hugs to all - Anne

Lou Ann and Anne

Oh gosh Lou Ann! I sure hope my bone pain isn't from the Taxol! That means I will have to deal with it every time. yikes! I didn't have bone pain with the weekly. :-(

I am hoping it is resolved by tomorrow. I've really had enough. 

Anne, they have me taking Claritin once per day and Aleve 2 Xs per day.  I wonder if I should take more?

My legs are throbbing as I am typing this.  However, I was able to take my little guys for a short walk tonight. A very slow short walk!

Can't wait to hear your updated status after the scan.  I'm praying big time that it continues to be the BEST NEWS ever.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member

That's my little boy!

LOL, at the hospital where I'm getting chemo treatments, they give you a FREE green and gold Packer hat.  I thought about getting a green and gold wig but thought that might be a little out there for an old lady Sealed.  As a matter of fact, Aaron Rodgers is the spokesperson for their healthcare system.  We have season Packer tickets we inherited from my stepdad - that's about the only way you get season tickets around here and the first thing I did when I got my chemo schedule was to figure out if I could make that Thanksgiving game where they're going to retire Brett Favre's jersey.  

The little dog is my little Maltese, Spunky! He's the first dog I ever had who is all MINE!!  We've always had dogs but they were family dogs and usually cocker spaniels.  I was thinking of ways I could sneak him into the hospital for my chemo.  I thought I could tell everyone that he's my son, Timmy, who has dogabetis (that's when a little boy looks like a Maltese).  I have clothes for him including a winter coat - think it would work???  LOLOLOL!!!

Luv your pup!

My very first dog was named Spunky because, of course, he was a great coward! I loved him so. Im sure your little Spunky would be a great spirit lifter in the hospital!  But if he can't come with you I sure he'll give you a heroes welcome when you get home.

Sandy

• EZLiving66
    Sandy3185 said:

Luv your pup!

My very first dog was named Spunky because, of course, he was a great coward! I loved him so. Im sure your little Spunky would be a great spirit lifter in the hospital!  But if he can't come with you I sure he'll give you a heroes welcome when you get home.

Sandy

Sandy, you're so right

If I'm gone 10 minutes my little Spunky acts like he hasn't seen me for days.  He keeps me entertained and is my snuggle buddy.  Just holding on to him makes me feel better.  We had a little Yorkie that I fostered for my niece who was going to take him back when she got into an apartment that let her have a little dog.  Well, that never happened so I had him until he died at the age of 13.  I SWORE I would never go through that pain again.....but, about three months later, I really missed that little dog.  I answered an ad for a kennel that raised Yorkies and drove there, in a rain storm, almost a hour.  I looked at the Yorkie pups and the owner let them out of their kennel and they just ran around and didn't care a hoot about me.  I asked him what that little white dog was.  He said it was a Maltese but the people who wanted him backed out because he had a hernia.  He let him out and he followed me around, sat next to me quietly and snuggled into my neck.  I was hooked!!!  This was April 28, 2014.  I told my Spunky that when he went I was going because I couldn't take that pain.  I figured he would live 13 or 14 years and that would make me 75 or 76 and that was long enough for me.  Now.....I worry I'll go before my Spunky.  My kids are grown up - 43, 41, 23 & 22 and my husband can sure make it without me.....but, Spunky needs me!!  Smile

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member

That's my little boy!

Well, the CHEESEHEAD might

Well, the CHEESEHEAD might work nicely! Tongue Out  I am sure you could rock that look out. 

• DebiR
    DebiR Member Posts: 38 Member

Lou Ann and Anne

Oh gosh Lou Ann! I sure hope my bone pain isn't from the Taxol! That means I will have to deal with it every time. yikes! I didn't have bone pain with the weekly. :-(

I am hoping it is resolved by tomorrow. I've really had enough. 

Anne, they have me taking Claritin once per day and Aleve 2 Xs per day.  I wonder if I should take more?

My legs are throbbing as I am typing this.  However, I was able to take my little guys for a short walk tonight. A very slow short walk!

Can't wait to hear your updated status after the scan.  I'm praying big time that it continues to be the BEST NEWS ever.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

I had bone pain every time

I never had a Neulasta shot. My bone pain was definitely from the Taxol.  I had to take Oxycodone...nothing else helped enough.  Towards the end someone told me about the Claritin and that really did help a lot too.

I was just thinking about it, my last chemo was the end of October last year so I'm coming up on one year since I finished.  It seems like yesterday and an eternity ago at the same time.  The time from treatment 1 to treatment 6 went really fast for me.  It was really doable and I worked the entire time. I was lucky that I have an IT related job and work remotely from home.  I only had to travel once for work between my 5th and 6th treatment for a sales meeting.  That was a bit rough but I managed.

Unfortunately I do still have lingering neuropathy in both feet (trying acupuncture and it seems to be helping) but otherwise I feel mostly back to normal.  I do seem to have a lot more aches and pains, mainly joint pain.  I feel better when I keep moving and know I need to exercise more. I keep saying I am going to start doing Yoga, I really must do that.

Debi

UPSC 3A

4-11-14 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    DebiR said:

I had bone pain every time

I never had a Neulasta shot. My bone pain was definitely from the Taxol.  I had to take Oxycodone...nothing else helped enough.  Towards the end someone told me about the Claritin and that really did help a lot too.

I was just thinking about it, my last chemo was the end of October last year so I'm coming up on one year since I finished.  It seems like yesterday and an eternity ago at the same time.  The time from treatment 1 to treatment 6 went really fast for me.  It was really doable and I worked the entire time. I was lucky that I have an IT related job and work remotely from home.  I only had to travel once for work between my 5th and 6th treatment for a sales meeting.  That was a bit rough but I managed.

Unfortunately I do still have lingering neuropathy in both feet (trying acupuncture and it seems to be helping) but otherwise I feel mostly back to normal.  I do seem to have a lot more aches and pains, mainly joint pain.  I feel better when I keep moving and know I need to exercise more. I keep saying I am going to start doing Yoga, I really must do that.

Debi

UPSC 3A

4-11-14 

Thanks for the feedback.  My

Thanks for the feedback.  My legs are still aching today but not nearly as bad. So, 3 days of pain seems to be what mine is going to be.  Two bad ones and a lesser hurting one.

I think I will use my Oxycodone (left over from my hysterectomy) next time.  Since both you and Lou Ann had the bone pain without Neulasta, I have a feeling mine is also because of the Taxol and will recur.

It is interesting that I didn't have any bone pain with doing the weekly chemo. However, I still think having a couple of good weeks is worth dealing with the pain for the 3 days. I'm grateful that I retired in January. Can't imagine having to work while dealing with this.

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member

Thanks for the feedback.  My

Thanks for the feedback.  My legs are still aching today but not nearly as bad. So, 3 days of pain seems to be what mine is going to be.  Two bad ones and a lesser hurting one.

I think I will use my Oxycodone (left over from my hysterectomy) next time.  Since both you and Lou Ann had the bone pain without Neulasta, I have a feeling mine is also because of the Taxol and will recur.

It is interesting that I didn't have any bone pain with doing the weekly chemo. However, I still think having a couple of good weeks is worth dealing with the pain for the 3 days. I'm grateful that I retired in January. Can't imagine having to work while dealing with this.

hope you don't have bone pain

at least not so bad. I never got Neulasta, but the bone pain... omg

The worst were after chemo #1, 2 and 5. The fifth was postponed due to transfusion, if that was the reason.

Mine lasted 2-3 very bad days and 3-4 less painful.

• TeddyandBears_Mom

Sandy, you're so right

If I'm gone 10 minutes my little Spunky acts like he hasn't seen me for days.  He keeps me entertained and is my snuggle buddy.  Just holding on to him makes me feel better.  We had a little Yorkie that I fostered for my niece who was going to take him back when she got into an apartment that let her have a little dog.  Well, that never happened so I had him until he died at the age of 13.  I SWORE I would never go through that pain again.....but, about three months later, I really missed that little dog.  I answered an ad for a kennel that raised Yorkies and drove there, in a rain storm, almost a hour.  I looked at the Yorkie pups and the owner let them out of their kennel and they just ran around and didn't care a hoot about me.  I asked him what that little white dog was.  He said it was a Maltese but the people who wanted him backed out because he had a hernia.  He let him out and he followed me around, sat next to me quietly and snuggled into my neck.  I was hooked!!!  This was April 28, 2014.  I told my Spunky that when he went I was going because I couldn't take that pain.  I figured he would live 13 or 14 years and that would make me 75 or 76 and that was long enough for me.  Now.....I worry I'll go before my Spunky.  My kids are grown up - 43, 41, 23 & 22 and my husband can sure make it without me.....but, Spunky needs me!!  Smile

EZLiving

I'm with you! My two little guys are like velcro to me.  And, their expectation is that I stay on the couch with them all the time now that I have so many days of laying around. So, when I feel good and am up and doing things, they keep trying to get me back to "the spot".  Can't remember who commented on your white carpet but I can tell you, I would never get away with that! My guys are messy. :-)

Here's to having another 20 plus years of healthy living!  I think all of your family needs you.... Spunky, Husband and Kids!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66

EZLiving

I'm with you! My two little guys are like velcro to me.  And, their expectation is that I stay on the couch with them all the time now that I have so many days of laying around. So, when I feel good and am up and doing things, they keep trying to get me back to "the spot".  Can't remember who commented on your white carpet but I can tell you, I would never get away with that! My guys are messy. :-)

Here's to having another 20 plus years of healthy living!  I think all of your family needs you.... Spunky, Husband and Kids!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

LOL, Cindi, those are two cute little guys

What kind of pups do you have?  My little guy follows me around everywhere.  I am ordering a reclining love seat on Saturday so my little guy and I can take naps together in our sunroom while I recover from my chemo.  When I'm sitting in "my" chair on the computer he is always trying to worm his way in - this will give him some room.

I agree though - here's to another 20+ years of healthy living for ALL of us!!

Take care,

Eldri

• EZLiving66

Well, the CHEESEHEAD might

Well, the CHEESEHEAD might work nicely! Tongue Out  I am sure you could rock that look out. 

Maybe I could start a group - cheeseheads with cancer?

Maybe I could start a group - cheeseheads with cancer??

LOL Tongue Out