Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Options

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options

LOL, Cindi, those are two cute little guys

What kind of pups do you have?  My little guy follows me around everywhere.  I am ordering a reclining love seat on Saturday so my little guy and I can take naps together in our sunroom while I recover from my chemo.  When I'm sitting in "my" chair on the computer he is always trying to worm his way in - this will give him some room.

I agree though - here's to another 20+ years of healthy living for ALL of us!!

Take care,

Eldri

Eldri

Thanks. My little guys are rescues... I had DNA done.  They are half miniture poodle and half chihuahua.  I thought I was getting poodle/havenese mix. Would never have considered chihuahuas. But, so glad I didn't know. They are great little boys. They are not barkers (thank goodness) and have very sweet dispositions. I used to work from home and shared my office chair with both of them!  So glad I have a huge couch for us instead. lol....

It will be interesting to see if your little one builds up an expectation to be on "the spot" with you after you park for a few days.  :-)

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options

Maybe I could start a group - cheeseheads with cancer?

Maybe I could start a group - cheeseheads with cancer??

LOL Tongue Out

Impacts Update

Is it Neulasta or Chemo? No one knows but I plan to find out next time!

This has been a week from Hell for me.  The initial impacts were bad enough but were doable. Albeit, painful.  But this lingering and new stuff has worn me out.

It has been 9 days since my treatment.  I got through the "normal" stuff in about 4 days. Then, Wednesday... My lower back and leg muscles started in. Could not stand up for more than a few minutes.  And, I got diarrhea. Never had any of this before. I am still dealing with all of it.  I did force myself to swim for a little bit yesterday. Trying to get my muscles to relax.  And, I discovered that extra strength Tylenol takes the edge off the pain. I was afraid to take anything due to the upset stomach. 

Today has been a bit better on the muscles aches.  I have been able to be up and around for a while.  So, I'm hoping for things to settle down soon. My stomach is still upset. Hard to eat very much. It goes in, creates stabbing pain, then right out. Oh joy!

So, I will refuse Neulasta before my next Chemo even if it means a delay in treatment.  I want to know for sure if my body just can't process it.

Sorry for the downer post. But, wanted to make sure I documented the experience for future reference.  I'll update my findings after the next chemo infusion.  That is still a few weeks away thank goodness!  No need to post back. I know you are all there with me! :-)

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Impacts Update

This has been a week from Hell for me.  The initial impacts were bad enough but were doable. Albeit, painful.  But this lingering and new stuff has worn me out.

It has been 9 days since my treatment.  I got through the "normal" stuff in about 4 days. Then, Wednesday... My lower back and leg muscles started in. Could not stand up for more than a few minutes.  And, I got diarrhea. Never had any of this before. I am still dealing with all of it.  I did force myself to swim for a little bit yesterday. Trying to get my muscles to relax.  And, I discovered that extra strength Tylenol takes the edge off the pain. I was afraid to take anything due to the upset stomach. 

Today has been a bit better on the muscles aches.  I have been able to be up and around for a while.  So, I'm hoping for things to settle down soon. My stomach is still upset. Hard to eat very much. It goes in, creates stabbing pain, then right out. Oh joy!

So, I will refuse Neulasta before my next Chemo even if it means a delay in treatment.  I want to know for sure if my body just can't process it.

Sorry for the downer post. But, wanted to make sure I documented the experience for future reference.  I'll update my findings after the next chemo infusion.  That is still a few weeks away thank goodness!  No need to post back. I know you are all there with me! :-)

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

I refused to have Neulasta

and my worst side effect was bone pain in my legs between knees and ankles, very bad and stabing, no one pill ever took away.

Did not have constipation or diarrhea, both managed with food I ate. Headaches, as I complained so many times, tiredness, etc.

And the neuropathy in my feet, I don't know for how long I'll have it...

Don't be afraid of sharing what is happening to you.

We are all together in the struggle.

Wish you have less side effects.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Impacts Update

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Hi, Cindi

Don't feel bad about posting the hard things.  They happen.  I am also 9 days out from my last chemo.  Digestive issues are clearing up, but I can't seem to get rid of the fatigue.  Tried to go shopping with my husband today and he ended up have to push the card ,because it was just to heavy for me.  i still had to hold on though.  I have been getting real lighted headed after I stand up.  Typical for me on Taxol/Carbo, but I am still ready for that feeling to go away.. Sometimes I wonder if it is low blood sugar.

I hope your digestive issue is just an isolated occurence and that it won't happen every time.  Thinking of you,  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Hi, Cindi

Don't feel bad about posting the hard things.  They happen.  I am also 9 days out from my last chemo.  Digestive issues are clearing up, but I can't seem to get rid of the fatigue.  Tried to go shopping with my husband today and he ended up have to push the card ,because it was just to heavy for me.  i still had to hold on though.  I have been getting real lighted headed after I stand up.  Typical for me on Taxol/Carbo, but I am still ready for that feeling to go away.. Sometimes I wonder if it is low blood sugar.

I hope your digestive issue is just an isolated occurence and that it won't happen every time.  Thinking of you,  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Lou Ann and Cucu

Thanks....

Cucu - My sister's friend had bad neuropothy in her feet. Most of it resolved within a year or less. She does still have a small amount in one foot after two years.  I hope yours goes away FAST! So glad you are finished with all of this.  I know it was brutal for you and you MADE IT! :-)

Lou Ann - Funny, the reason I went from weekly to every 3 weeks was because I couldn't shake the fatigue doing the weekly; so I never got a break. This time, I had hardly any fatigue but as posted had a lot of other stuff to deal with.  I got smarter this afternoon and took Immodium. So far so good. I was even able to eat a decent dinner. whew! I think the Neulasta may have overridden the fatigue. Haven't read that anywhere, just the only thing I could think of since I have always had fatigue. I'm blaming most of the digestive issues and the muscle pain on Neulasta so I might as well give it credit for something good as well. lol

I am thinking tomorrow will bring me the beginning of my good days.  And, that gives me lots of days to celebrate before the next time.  I hope your fatigue lifts soon so that you can enjoy some good non-chemo days.

• Lou Ann M
    Options

Lou Ann and Cucu

Thanks....

Cucu - My sister's friend had bad neuropothy in her feet. Most of it resolved within a year or less. She does still have a small amount in one foot after two years.  I hope yours goes away FAST! So glad you are finished with all of this.  I know it was brutal for you and you MADE IT! :-)

Lou Ann - Funny, the reason I went from weekly to every 3 weeks was because I couldn't shake the fatigue doing the weekly; so I never got a break. This time, I had hardly any fatigue but as posted had a lot of other stuff to deal with.  I got smarter this afternoon and took Immodium. So far so good. I was even able to eat a decent dinner. whew! I think the Neulasta may have overridden the fatigue. Haven't read that anywhere, just the only thing I could think of since I have always had fatigue. I'm blaming most of the digestive issues and the muscle pain on Neulasta so I might as well give it credit for something good as well. lol

I am thinking tomorrow will bring me the beginning of my good days.  And, that gives me lots of days to celebrate before the next time.  I hope your fatigue lifts soon so that you can enjoy some good non-chemo days.

Make Immodium your new best

Make Immodium your new best freind.  I think that part of my problem with fatigue is still left over from my surgery. I was still tired  when I started the chemo, so I am hoping that the next times it won't be as bad. Lou Ann

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Make Immodium your new best

Make Immodium your new best freind.  I think that part of my problem with fatigue is still left over from my surgery. I was still tired  when I started the chemo, so I am hoping that the next times it won't be as bad. Lou Ann

Something is in the air?

I threw up at the grocery store today.  I had my treatments on Wednesday, counts were okay and got in a gentle ride on Thursday.  Downhill ever since.  I wanted to get out of the house so I went to the store with my husband.  I did make it to the bathroom but it wasn't graceful; I felt like Walter Payton in the old Hertz commercials.  Ugh.

luckily it is all temporary!  Hugs - Anne

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    AWK said:

Something is in the air?

I threw up at the grocery store today.  I had my treatments on Wednesday, counts were okay and got in a gentle ride on Thursday.  Downhill ever since.  I wanted to get out of the house so I went to the store with my husband.  I did make it to the bathroom but it wasn't graceful; I felt like Walter Payton in the old Hertz commercials.  Ugh.

Anne

Good Grief!  I hope that was a one time event for you and you can go back to some more gentle riding.

It is still mind moggling how we all react differently to chemo and other drugs out there.

Don't push yourself but enjoy the heck out of your good days my friend.  I know you will!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    AWK said:

Something is in the air?

I had to laugh, Anne

I think it was OJ Simpson in those old Hertz commercials ;).  I have had IBS most of my life and I've learned to ALWAYS know where the bathrooms are when I'm out and about.  There have been a few times when I've had to almost knock down small children and elderly ladies to get there, but, knock on wood, I've always made it.

Thanks for the smile!! I sure hope you're feeling better!!

Take care,

Eldri

• Cucu me
    Options

I had to laugh, Anne

I think it was OJ Simpson in those old Hertz commercials ;).  I have had IBS most of my life and I've learned to ALWAYS know where the bathrooms are when I'm out and about.  There have been a few times when I've had to almost knock down small children and elderly ladies to get there, but, knock on wood, I've always made it.

Thanks for the smile!! I sure hope you're feeling better!!

Take care,

Eldri

Oh girls,

you made me smile. It's seriuos problem, but the way you talked about it made me laugh.

Crosing fingers for usSmile

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    AWK said:

Something is in the air?

Oh, so sorry

I think you experienced my husband's nightmare for me.  While I was on Doxil and so often would get nausiated with out much warning, he would take a "barf Bag" along in his pocket, just in case.  Did get sick in the car once, but we keep bags there too.  Oh the life we live.  

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    AWK said:

Something is in the air?

Oh, so sorry

I think you experienced my husband's nightmare for me.  While I was on Doxil and so often would get nausiated with out much warning, he would take a "barf Bag" along in his pocket, just in case.  Did get sick in the car once, but we keep bags there too.  Oh the life we live.  As you said it is tempoary.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Oh, so sorry

I think you experienced my husband's nightmare for me.  While I was on Doxil and so often would get nausiated with out much warning, he would take a "barf Bag" along in his pocket, just in case.  Did get sick in the car once, but we keep bags there too.  Oh the life we live.  As you said it is tempoary.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Lou Ann, I got sick in the car, too

Oh, what a nightmare that was! I was driving on I 95 between Vero Beach, FL and Port St Lucie, FL when I experienced "breakthrough" nausea. Oh, dear, this was NOT good, as I was in a construction zone and could not pull over. Thankfully, I had a bunch of plastic bags in the car that I intended to recycle. What a lifesaver that turned out to be! From that point on I made sure that I had a small bucket in the car just in case I needed it. 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Abbycat2 said:

Lou Ann, I got sick in the car, too

Oh, what a nightmare that was! I was driving on I 95 between Vero Beach, FL and Port St Lucie, FL when I experienced "breakthrough" nausea. Oh, dear, this was NOT good, as I was in a construction zone and could not pull over. Thankfully, I had a bunch of plastic bags in the car that I intended to recycle. What a lifesaver that turned out to be! From that point on I made sure that I had a small bucket in the car just in case I needed it. 

One Week away from chemo #4 - #3 chemo impact questions

Hi All,

Went for my weekly blood test today. All of my levels are up. So, it looks like I won't have to worry about Neulasta this time.  Fingers crossed!

Question: Does anyone know if my white blood count could still drop this long after my last chemo? It has been two weeks.

Also, today will be my last attempt at using mascara.  I lost most of my lashes over the last few days. My eyebrows have thinned out now as well.  So, I suspect I will have a bald face to go along with my bald head by my next infusion.  BTW, I still have some fuzz on my head. I thought by now I would have a slick, shiny head.  Did any of you keep your fuzz throughout your treatments?

Another question... My joints are still hurting. Knees, ankles, wrists, hips, lower back. And, I'm still getting some muscle cramps. Not like they were last week. But, they have not completely resolved. Have any of you experienced this two weeks after treatment?  Oh, and I can only stand up for about 20 minutes at a time. My legs just give out.

Thanks for the input.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Hi All,

Went for my weekly blood test today. All of my levels are up. So, it looks like I won't have to worry about Neulasta this time.  Fingers crossed!

Question: Does anyone know if my white blood count could still drop this long after my last chemo? It has been two weeks.

Also, today will be my last attempt at using mascara.  I lost most of my lashes over the last few days. My eyebrows have thinned out now as well.  So, I suspect I will have a bald face to go along with my bald head by my next infusion.  BTW, I still have some fuzz on my head. I thought by now I would have a slick, shiny head.  Did any of you keep your fuzz throughout your treatments?

Another question... My joints are still hurting. Knees, ankles, wrists, hips, lower back. And, I'm still getting some muscle cramps. Not like they were last week. But, they have not completely resolved. Have any of you experienced this two weeks after treatment?  Oh, and I can only stand up for about 20 minutes at a time. My legs just give out.

Thanks for the input.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Also waiting for #4, Cindi

My understanding is that the low point for WBC is 10-14 days after chemo, at least for carbo/taxol.  Somebody correct me if I have misunderstood this. After that, the count begins rising.  I went for my blood test today also prior to tomorrow's chemo, but just got word that my WBC is slightly lower than they want.  So now, I go in tomorrow morning for another test, hoping that it will rise.  The differentials indicate that the marrow is still ramping up, and I know that those neutrophils can pop up rather quickly.  That happened last time.  It's close, so if it is still low, chemo will be postponed to early next week as oppposed to any Neulasta.  RBC looks good, though, so I'm happy about that.

Has anyone done anything special to help keep your white blood cells up?  Diet?  Supplements?  I have read some information about astragalus and was wondering if anyone here has used it.  I was disappointed that I was low since last time, my ANC was well into the normal range.  Guess that cumulative effect caught up with me.

I still have eyelashes and eyebrows though they are thinning.  And I still have hair on my head as well.  In fact, it looks like what is left might even be growing! It looks a little unruly, though, not as fuzz-like as it did when first clipped.

Sorry your joints are still hurting.  That I have not experienced.  Hope that goes away before your next infusion, chemosabe.  We may end up on exactly the same schedule if things don't turn around tomorrow!

• Cucu me
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Also waiting for #4, Cindi

My understanding is that the low point for WBC is 10-14 days after chemo, at least for carbo/taxol.  Somebody correct me if I have misunderstood this. After that, the count begins rising.  I went for my blood test today also prior to tomorrow's chemo, but just got word that my WBC is slightly lower than they want.  So now, I go in tomorrow morning for another test, hoping that it will rise.  The differentials indicate that the marrow is still ramping up, and I know that those neutrophils can pop up rather quickly.  That happened last time.  It's close, so if it is still low, chemo will be postponed to early next week as oppposed to any Neulasta.  RBC looks good, though, so I'm happy about that.

Has anyone done anything special to help keep your white blood cells up?  Diet?  Supplements?  I have read some information about astragalus and was wondering if anyone here has used it.  I was disappointed that I was low since last time, my ANC was well into the normal range.  Guess that cumulative effect caught up with me.

I still have eyelashes and eyebrows though they are thinning.  And I still have hair on my head as well.  In fact, it looks like what is left might even be growing! It looks a little unruly, though, not as fuzz-like as it did when first clipped.

Sorry your joints are still hurting.  That I have not experienced.  Hope that goes away before your next infusion, chemosabe.  We may end up on exactly the same schedule if things don't turn around tomorrow!

WBC

For the time of the chemo mine were 1or 1,something instead of minimum 4.....

I had only one transfusion and NO Neulasta.

I was advised to eat daily sesame( I ate tahini) also red, brown or black bean and to drink juice from beets 50ml.

I don't know if that helped, but I did not have my #6 postponed.

Good luck to all of us

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Cucu me said:

WBC

For the time of the chemo mine were 1or 1,something instead of minimum 4.....

I had only one transfusion and NO Neulasta.

I was advised to eat daily sesame( I ate tahini) also red, brown or black bean and to drink juice from beets 50ml.

I don't know if that helped, but I did not have my #6 postponed.

Good luck to all of us

Cucu

I thought my doctor told me last time the cut-off was 1.0, but I guess I was wrong.  I was at 1.1 today.  Last time 2.3 and before that 1.3.   I do eat beans and hummus to keep my protein up, though I am careful about the iron.  It's a balancing act.  I will try more tahini and beet juice in the next 3 weeks.  Can't hurt!

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Cucu

I thought my doctor told me last time the cut-off was 1.0, but I guess I was wrong.  I was at 1.1 today.  Last time 2.3 and before that 1.3.   I do eat beans and hummus to keep my protein up, though I am careful about the iron.  It's a balancing act.  I will try more tahini and beet juice in the next 3 weeks.  Can't hurt!

Interesting day today

I was at Cedars getting my neulasta shot.  Everything my doctors have told me is day 14 or 15 post treatment is the low point and in looking at my labs over the past few years that certainly seems true.  I get lab work on day 15 of my cycle and now day 18 too and the turnaround is pretty dramatic.  Plus I get labs in day 1 and 8.  I am still running low in roc, hemoglobin and platelets so I am officially chemo induced anemia.  Wbc counts are good thx to the Neulasta.  Weight loss continues I am now on the eat what you can diet - luckily I had weight to lose but now my clothes just hang on me.  My skinny jeans are now boyfriend jeans!  

Leaving the hospital I got on an elevator with another patient and her friend.  The woman - Elsie looked at me and I thought she looked like she needed some encouragement so I asked her how she was feeling.  She asked if I was in treatment and I said yes (I still have hair and always try to get some make up aka spackle on before I head out).  She looked at me and told me she was tired and not feeling well but added today was her last treatment.  I got so excited for her I said congratulations and i promise you will start feeling better in two weeks.  You need to celebrate Then!  She took my hand, asked my name and thanked me.  Said it was just what she needed to hear.  She headed to her ride then came back and asked how long until her hair starts coming back and I shared mine started about three weeks post chemo.  She asked why I was still in treatment and this is where I struggle with people coming off frontline - I said we were still treating active disease but I am doing well and thriving.  She took my hands, said a blessing, I told her I would keep her in my prayers and that I know she will thrive like I do no matter what.  Her friend came over to me after she was in the car and said that was exactly what Elsie needed to hear.  The thing is - the encounter was so boosting for me, I needed it more than she did.  I shed a few tears driving home, blasted some music and sang to my hearts content.  

These moments of grace make my cancer experience amazing and joyful at times.  I am so glad I am open to them.

hugs to all - Anne

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    AWK said:

Interesting day today

I was at Cedars getting my neulasta shot.  Everything my doctors have told me is day 14 or 15 post treatment is the low point and in looking at my labs over the past few years that certainly seems true.  I get lab work on day 15 of my cycle and now day 18 too and the turnaround is pretty dramatic.  Plus I get labs in day 1 and 8.  I am still running low in roc, hemoglobin and platelets so I am officially chemo induced anemia.  Wbc counts are good thx to the Neulasta.  Weight loss continues I am now on the eat what you can diet - luckily I had weight to lose but now my clothes just hang on me.  My skinny jeans are now boyfriend jeans!  

Leaving the hospital I got on an elevator with another patient and her friend.  The woman - Elsie looked at me and I thought she looked like she needed some encouragement so I asked her how she was feeling.  She asked if I was in treatment and I said yes (I still have hair and always try to get some make up aka spackle on before I head out).  She looked at me and told me she was tired and not feeling well but added today was her last treatment.  I got so excited for her I said congratulations and i promise you will start feeling better in two weeks.  You need to celebrate Then!  She took my hand, asked my name and thanked me.  Said it was just what she needed to hear.  She headed to her ride then came back and asked how long until her hair starts coming back and I shared mine started about three weeks post chemo.  She asked why I was still in treatment and this is where I struggle with people coming off frontline - I said we were still treating active disease but I am doing well and thriving.  She took my hands, said a blessing, I told her I would keep her in my prayers and that I know she will thrive like I do no matter what.  Her friend came over to me after she was in the car and said that was exactly what Elsie needed to hear.  The thing is - the encounter was so boosting for me, I needed it more than she did.  I shed a few tears driving home, blasted some music and sang to my hearts content.  

These moments of grace make my cancer experience amazing and joyful at times.  I am so glad I am open to them.

hugs to all - Anne

Sometimes we run into

Sometimes we run into encouragement in the most unexpected places.  A chance meeting that was benificial to both of you.  I ran into a lady in a store who asked me if I had cancer and asked if she could pray for me.  I never turn that down , but what she did next surprised me.  She prayed for me right it the middle of Walmart.  Another complete starnger came up to me in a mall in Las Vegas, grabbed my hand and said, 'Sweety, I have been through this and your hair will grow back".  The kindness of strangers can be very uplifting.  

I am so hoping everying goes well for you.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Lou Ann M
    Options

Hi All,

Thanks for the input.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Hi Cindi

I know what you mean about the aching, I am still running into some of that too.  A while back my GP told me that sometime that aching is caused by marrow shifting into overdrive to keep your blood supply up.  That kind of makes sense because most of my achiness seems to be in my larger bone area where most of your blood suppy id made.  I am still more fatigued that I have been in the past and hope it goes away before I have to start all over next week.  Lou Ann