Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Options

Comments

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Cucu me said:

taste

is getting better right after your bad days after last chemo is over.

It's strange how you start craving sweet, did not happen to  me at all.

I was craving only salty food and junk food all the time during chemo.

Courage to all of us,  we need it!

My brain craves certain things

My brain craves things but when I get it, I take a bite and my taste buds don't want it.  The only thing that really tastes good are the grape and tangerine Outshine Fruit bars.  I'm eating at least one a day.

Chemo #3 is scheduled for December 8th and #4 for December 29th which means my best week should be the week of Christmas!!!!  Our youngest graduates from college on the 19th so we're going to have a combination graduation/Christmas party....and serve.....fruit bars LOL!

Take care,

Eldri

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Next chemo

Hey Chris,

Soooo glad you finished with #5.  And, that your body is still being so amazingly strong with the chemo. Amazing!  Only one to go!  WOW!

Mine was moved out from this coming Thursday (for obvious reasons) to Monday, 11/30.  So, I get to enjoy 3 extra days of feeling great. :-)

Lou Ann, I hope all goes well for you and you get to stay on schedule.

Ann, please let us know your results. I sure hope that everything comes back negative and you get to stay in the trial. Sending an extra prayer up for you tonight!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi

Thinking about you and hoping every thing goes well today and your side effects are minimal.  What ever this nasty stuff sends your way you can handle.  Only one more.  The light at the end of your tunnel must be getting very bright.

Way back during my 7 months of NED my taste came backm pretty quickm for most things.  a few things never came back.  Now most of my taste is back a few days beforwe my next chemo.  Then it starts all over again.  I do seem to always grave salt and I can never get enough on my food.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Cindi

Thinking about you and hoping every thing goes well today and your side effects are minimal.  What ever this nasty stuff sends your way you can handle.  Only one more.  The light at the end of your tunnel must be getting very bright.

Way back during my 7 months of NED my taste came backm pretty quickm for most things.  a few things never came back.  Now most of my taste is back a few days beforwe my next chemo.  Then it starts all over again.  I do seem to always grave salt and I can never get enough on my food.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

EZ and Lou Ann

Thanks for your replies. 

Fruit Bars.  Funny, I eat Healthy Choice Fudge Bars.

Lou Ann, I'm going to try pizza again during my good times.  I think it may have been the ham on the pizza that I didn't like. Considering I hated the ham on Thursday.

I sure hope you are able to continue with your infusion tomorrow too Lou Ann.

My place was PACKED! They ran out of chemo chairs.  I sat in mine for 7 hours. ugh!  And, you are RIGHT... ONE TO GO! woo hoo!

Not sure why I was so apprehensive today. My blood pressure was 168 / 99.  oops...

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

EZ and Lou Ann

Thanks for your replies. 

Lou Ann, I'm going to try pizza again during my good times.  I think it may have been the ham on the pizza that I didn't like. Considering I hated the ham on Thursday.

My place was PACKED! They ran out of chemo chairs.  I sat in mine for 7 hours. ugh!  And, you are RIGHT... ONE TO GO! woo hoo!

Not sure why I was so apprehensive today. My blood pressure was 168 / 99.  oops...

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

The finish line

The finish line is in sight!  Just one more round of this, and then back to (new) normal.  Glad everything went well.

And Lou Ann, hoping your blood counts are good tomorrow and you can keep on your schedule.

Chris

• Lou Ann M
    Options

My brain craves certain things

My brain craves things but when I get it, I take a bite and my taste buds don't want it.  The only thing that really tastes good are the grape and tangerine Outshine Fruit bars.  I'm eating at least one a day.

Chemo #3 is scheduled for December 8th and #4 for December 29th which means my best week should be the week of Christmas!!!!  Our youngest graduates from college on the 19th so we're going to have a combination graduation/Christmas party....and serve.....fruit bars LOL!

Take care,

Eldri

Eldri

My brain and taste buds act the same way.  I have a lot of food around that I was so hungry for, and then couldn't eat.  i did like the fruit bars for awhile and also fudge bars,

I hope you can stay on schedule so you have a good week forr Christmas and graduation.  If everything goes OK for me tomorrow, I looks like I will end up with chemo the week of Christmas, but that is Ok, because I will feel pretty good the next week for my birthday.  Not much except football going on that day, but they do throw me a rather nice parade that I can watch.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

I love your name.  It is so much like my motyher's.  Elda 

• Lou Ann M
    Options

EZ and Lou Ann

Thanks for your replies. 

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi

I am glad your day went fine, even though it was long.  Only one more.  Wonderful.  Will you get the last one Christmas week?..  Even though you wouldn't feel the best for Christmas, what a great present that would be.

I also like fruit bars and fudge bars, I have some in the freezer, but often forget they are there.  I have no memory anymore!  I usually have cheese pizza and lately I have opted for bread sticks.  After all this time my taste buds are giving up on my beloved pizza.

• Editgrl
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Eldri

My brain and taste buds act the same way.  I have a lot of food around that I was so hungry for, and then couldn't eat.  i did like the fruit bars for awhile and also fudge bars,

I hope you can stay on schedule so you have a good week forr Christmas and graduation.  If everything goes OK for me tomorrow, I looks like I will end up with chemo the week of Christmas, but that is Ok, because I will feel pretty good the next week for my birthday.  Not much except football going on that day, but they do throw me a rather nice parade that I can watch.

I love your name.  It is so much like my motyher's.  Elda 

Lou Ann

My birthday is just a few days before you... the 29th. Not the greatest time to have a birthday.  At least you get a birthday eve celebration as well as a parade!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Cindi

I am glad your day went fine, even though it was long.  Only one more.  Wonderful.  Will you get the last one Christmas week?..  Even though you wouldn't feel the best for Christmas, what a great present that would be.

I also like fruit bars and fudge bars, I have some in the freezer, but often forget they are there.  I have no memory anymore!  I usually have cheese pizza and lately I have opted for bread sticks.  After all this time my taste buds are giving up on my beloved pizza.

Chemo #5 Impacts - preliminary

Hi All,

I'm posting this ahead of my normal time so that I don't forget about this part.

Normally, the day after chemo is a high energy day for me. I use it to clean my house in preparation for the heavy fatigue days.

Today I did not get the energy push. In fact, I feel tired. I'm having to take a lot of breaks in between everything. Very disappointing. Not even going to try and clean anything. Which isn't so bad because it wasn't dirty to begin with! I just like to start off fresh.

Also, my appetite is really low. That normally doesn't hit until the second day after chemo.  And, my itchy rash started a bit earlier today.

Something new, I have a low grade headache. Not bad but it is hanging out in the background.

I'll post again after I get through the hard times later this week.

Here's to wishing all of us the strength and attitude to get through this.  AND I KNOW WE WILL! :-)

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    A little disappointing .  No

A little disappointing .  No chemo today. My platelets were to low again.  Anemia is a little worse.  That was really disappointing .. I have been feeling a little stronger so I thought, hoped, that maybe those counts would be a little higher.  On the bright side... It looks like I will be able to have both Christmas and my birthday without just having chemo.

Hugs and prayers to all of you.  Lou Ann

• Editgrl
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

A little disappointing .  No

A little disappointing .  No chemo today. My platelets were to low again.  Anemia is a little worse.  That was really disappointing .. I have been feeling a little stronger so I thought, hoped, that maybe those counts would be a little higher.  On the bright side... It looks like I will be able to have both Christmas and my birthday without just having chemo.

Hugs and prayers to all of you.  Lou Ann

So sorry to hear this, Lou

So sorry to hear this, Lou Ann, especially since you were feeling stronger.  Have they pushed it back to next week?

Chris

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    Editgrl said:

So sorry to hear this, Lou

So sorry to hear this, Lou Ann, especially since you were feeling stronger.  Have they pushed it back to next week?

Chris

We are going to try again

We are going to try again next week and probably just space them out  for 4 weeks instead of 3. I will,have a CT scan on Thursday so my doctor can go over it th me next Tuesday.  Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

We are going to try again

We are going to try again next week and probably just space them out  for 4 weeks instead of 3. I will,have a CT scan on Thursday so my doctor can go over it th me next Tuesday.  Lou Ann

Delay

Hey Lou Ann,

Sorry for the low counts and anemia. But, so happy about a chemo free Christmas and Birthday for you! I say that is a silver lining for sure.

I'm praying that your scans come back with great results. Please let us know what you find out!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Cindi

Lou Ann

Not sure how I missed your post!  Yep, my last chemo is scheduled for 12/21. And, I'm OK with having my bad days hit during Christmas. Because... it is the LAST ONE!  :-)

I agree, what a great Christmas present.

Too bad about the pizza!  I suspect it will come back though just like my sugar love did... :-)  I have a feeling I'll be back to my "normal" chemo foods for the next 10 days. Then, I'll have 10 days of some of my other normals.... Confusing. One never knows what to expect!

Take care my friend.  Cindi

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

Hi All,

I'm posting this ahead of my normal time so that I don't forget about this part.

Normally, the day after chemo is a high energy day for me. I use it to clean my house in preparation for the heavy fatigue days.

Today I did not get the energy push. In fact, I feel tired. I'm having to take a lot of breaks in between everything. Very disappointing. Not even going to try and clean anything. Which isn't so bad because it wasn't dirty to begin with! I just like to start off fresh.

Also, my appetite is really low. That normally doesn't hit until the second day after chemo.  And, my itchy rash started a bit earlier today.

Something new, I have a low grade headache. Not bad but it is hanging out in the background.

Here's to wishing all of us the strength and attitude to get through this.  AND I KNOW WE WILL! :-)

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi, I hope the

Cindi, I hope the "week-after-chemo" is not too bad for you and the days are bearable!  I'm in my "week-before-chemo" so trying to get everything done - cleaning, decorating, shopping, etc. before my chemo next Tuesday.  I guess before this happened (UPSC & chemo), I could never imagine what it's like but can now empathize with anybody going through it. (((Cindi)))

Take care,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options

Cindi, I hope the

Cindi, I hope the "week-after-chemo" is not too bad for you and the days are bearable!  I'm in my "week-before-chemo" so trying to get everything done - cleaning, decorating, shopping, etc. before my chemo next Tuesday.  I guess before this happened (UPSC & chemo), I could never imagine what it's like but can now empathize with anybody going through it. (((Cindi)))

Take care,

Eldri

Eldri

Thanks Eldri. Isn't that week before chemo great?! It is what gets me through this and prepares me for the next round. Enjoy the almost feeling of normal before your next one. :-)

I'm not sure what I will get this time. It isn't exactly going as the last two did.  Stuff started earlier and I didn't have my energy day after chemo day. But, I only have one more to go so whatever happens, I'll deal with it.  My guess is I'm about an hour out from being down for the next several days. AND, we all know what that means! lol

Take care of yourself and don't push too hard. Remember to rest in between all the "stuff".

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Options

Hi All,

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Isn't it odd how our

Isn't it odd how our reactions change?  I know you can push through this, Cindi.  Only one more to go.    

I am now 12 days out from chemo #5.  While the physical effects have remained minimal and consistent (stomach pains, light tingling in the fingertips, tiredness in the evenings), I am noticing more "chemo brain."  It's hard to me to stay focused on one thing.  I have turned into a multi-tasking monster, but often many of those tasks don't get finished because I'm off to something else.  This is a little disconcerting because I've always been very good at focusing my energies.  Guess I'll just wait this out since the last one is just around the bend.

And now that chemo is coming to an end, I find myself feeling anxious about what's next.  I've been waking up in the morning with anxiety.  So far, been able to keep it at bay with belly breathing and a few minutes of meditation, but it is a noticeable change in how I've been feeling since I started treatment.  I think I've been putting off thinking about radiation since my appointment in October, and now I have to really begin thinking about that.

In any case, this phase is almost over for us, Cindi!  Hoping this week isn't too bad for you.

Chris

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Isn't it odd how our

Isn't it odd how our reactions change?  I know you can push through this, Cindi.  Only one more to go.    

I am now 12 days out from chemo #5.  While the physical effects have remained minimal and consistent (stomach pains, light tingling in the fingertips, tiredness in the evenings), I am noticing more "chemo brain."  It's hard to me to stay focused on one thing.  I have turned into a multi-tasking monster, but often many of those tasks don't get finished because I'm off to something else.  This is a little disconcerting because I've always been very good at focusing my energies.  Guess I'll just wait this out since the last one is just around the bend.

And now that chemo is coming to an end, I find myself feeling anxious about what's next.  I've been waking up in the morning with anxiety.  So far, been able to keep it at bay with belly breathing and a few minutes of meditation, but it is a noticeable change in how I've been feeling since I started treatment.  I think I've been putting off thinking about radiation since my appointment in October, and now I have to really begin thinking about that.

In any case, this phase is almost over for us, Cindi!  Hoping this week isn't too bad for you.

Chris

Chris

I'm just starting to climb out of my last chemo hell.... Sorry for the late response.

I'm right there with you on the 'what next' front. In fact, my anxiety started the day of my last chemo. I'm sure this is all normal but I really hate that feeling!

My radiologist appointment is Dec. 9th. I had rescheduled it from October because I just wasn't ready to face it. I'm still not ready! I have never been so undecisive about something in my life. But, I guess this is the ultimate in making a life decision so it warrants a lot of thought.  The thing is, I'm not even sure what to ask him that will help me make a decision. I don't want to decide based on fear. But, that is a tall order since just hearing the C word is fearful!

BTW, I have not been able to focus for quite a while. In fact, I have only managed to finish ONE book since I started chemo. Hopefully we will both get back to normal soon after our LAST ONE!

Take care my friend and Chemosabe partner! Phase 1 finish line is in our sightline!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

Chris

I'm just starting to climb out of my last chemo hell.... Sorry for the late response.

I'm right there with you on the 'what next' front. In fact, my anxiety started the day of my last chemo. I'm sure this is all normal but I really hate that feeling!

My radiologist appointment is Dec. 9th. I had rescheduled it from October because I just wasn't ready to face it. I'm still not ready! I have never been so undecisive about something in my life. But, I guess this is the ultimate in making a life decision so it warrants a lot of thought.  The thing is, I'm not even sure what to ask him that will help me make a decision. I don't want to decide based on fear. But, that is a tall order since just hearing the C word is fearful!

BTW, I have not been able to focus for quite a while. In fact, I have only managed to finish ONE book since I started chemo. Hopefully we will both get back to normal soon after our LAST ONE!

Take care my friend and Chemosabe partner! Phase 1 finish line is in our sightline!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi,

don't be impatient with your body right now because there are so many things you want to do but can't.  It's endured a terrible onslaught and is serving you as best it can.  I'm sure at this point you are pretty anemic.  I certainly was.  Toward the end of treatment I spent as much time on the couch, half awake, as my dog and she sleeps a lot.  I didn't read, I didnt knit, I didn't even watch tv.  I made sure I got outside everyday for short, slow walks.  I planned so I only had to go upstairs once a day and would never do more than one load of laundry a day to limit trips to the basement.  I did housework,etc in the days before chemo because that's when I was strongest.  When it was all over, I bounced back really fast to my normal self.  My body did the best it could for me, as it always has, and I appreciated it and tried to be kind to it.

i continue to wish you luck with what to do about the radiation.  You have a very tough decision.

• Lou Ann M
    Options

Chris

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi

I know this is a hard decision for you to make.  Fear is hard to deal with and it does us no good.  Except for fatigue and some diarrhia I did not have many side effects from radiation.  I watched what I ate and kept Imodium close by.. My biggest problem at the time was an irrational fear of falling of the table durng the 20 minutes that I had to lay perfectly still.  later I found out that th radiation damaged the bone marrow in my pelvis, which is one of the reasons I have so much trouble with chemo knocking down my blood counts now.  If I didn't need the chemo, it would not be a problem.  I would ask now long each treatment would be, what organs might be effected, and what long term side effects might show up.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Lou Ann M
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Isn't it odd how our

Chris

Chris

My chemo brain is about to drive me up a wall.  I can't remember names or much of anything else.  I used to read a lot and work big jigsaw puzzles, now I can't consentrate long enough to do either.  It hasn't helped my spelling either.  I seem to have lost my patience and get easily frustarted when I can do something, sometimes to tears.  I do know from past experience that it does get better, so hang in there.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann