Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

1101112131416»

Comments

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2016 #302
    Donswife48

could you direct me to what studies your were refering to? very interested in reading about it.

• MAbound said:

Donswife48

could you direct me to what studies your were refering to? very interested in reading about it.

Here's a couple

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-878-GLUTAMINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=878&activeIngredientName=GLUTAMINE

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/glutamine

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/cancer_cells_feed_on_sugar_free_diet

Most of what I have read and heard about is from Inspire and this board.  Plus I was initially enthused about taking glutamine so I bought a bottle from Whole Foods.  On the back it warned me that it may interfer with chemotherapy.  When I asked my doctor about it he said no, he didn't want anything that would diminish the chemotherapy drugs.  He cautioned against all supplements, and said if I ate a good variety of foods, that would certainly be the best way.  If you google Glutamine and cancer, or adverse relations between Glutamine and cancer you will find lots of info.  Hugs Nancy

• MAbound
    Thank you!

Thanks for such a quick response, Nancy! There's so much to look into and think about isn't there? These discussions are so helpful for sharing what each of us as learned and benefited from and what to be cautious about. I'm probably out of time to check these out today or tomorrow, because of appointment with a genetisist that's a ways away from where I live, but I'll definetly read them soon. 

• MAbound
    Jacjac2 said:

Chemo done, now two a day radiation

Chemo did not get rid of all cancer. Sill have a 2" on a muscle and two 1"  tumors on my liver chemo was rough for about a week, and weak for a week. Once you feel good time to do again.  So my next step is external radiation two times a day for 5 weeks.  However I have not had the final meeting on times. Doc is not saying we will get it all with radiation but hope to shrink them some.  Anyone ever had the two a day radiation. Oh and 9am on Letrozole. I am ready to be thru with treatments of any kind. I live 4 states from my family, my mom in poor health and can not go see her.  I have to drive cause tickets to fly are out of my pocket range. I miss her.   As a teachers my break is still dealing with this illness sorry I rambled

How are you doing?

You posted on my chemo day and I missed it. I see that no one has replied to your post and just wanted to see how you're doing this week. I'm not going through what you are, but just wanted to reach out and let you know I'm thinking about you and am concerned. What you're going through sounds pretty rough. 

• retiredfromstate
    retiredfromstate Member Posts: 13 Member
    Chemo treatments

Thank you ladies. This is all great info. I have a garden so I eat organic. My friend raises chickens and eggs so I have organic protien. I like the idea of watermelon. I have those growing. I also juice and drink local honey with vinegar in water. I hope I can continue to do this. Sounds like hydration is important.

• giggs100
    giggs100 Member Posts: 91 Member
    Hydration hydration

This is one (of the many you will take during chemo) of the most important steps in chemo treatment.   Before, during and after each and every treatment.  This is what washes the poison out of your body after they infuse it into you.  Guaranteed you will feel better if you do it.

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    edited July 2016 #308
    Update on me & checking in with others

My 2nd chemo treatment was about a week and a half ago. Side effects were a little rougher this time than last. I was constipated for almost a week--so I now know that I need to start earlier with the stool softeners and laxatives next time.

I've had more pain in my feet and have started to have some pain and numbness in my hands. This worries me most of all because I don't want to be taken off the Taxol. The neuropathy is not constant, it comes and goes, so that gives me some hope.

I've felt a little more fatigued this time than before. I thought my blood work was good, since most of my numbers were still high, but my doc says I'm slightly anemic, so I'm trying to make sure I get as much protein as I reasonably can every day. (I forgot to ask her if I should take iron supplements during chemo. Does anyone have experience with that?)

My hair had been coming out quickly, then stopped coming out just before the chemo. Now I think it's about to start coming out fast again. I got what's left of it cut very short last week, and I love the cut. I also went to an ACS Look Good, Feel Better session, and that was a great pick-me-up--even for someone who doesn't normally wear much makeup. I definitely recommend that women in cancer treatment consider attending one of those.

Would be interested in hearing how others are doing who have recently started treatment.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member

My 2nd chemo treatment was about a week and a half ago. Side effects were a little rougher this time than last. I was constipated for almost a week--so I now know that I need to start earlier with the stool softeners and laxatives next time.

I've had more pain in my feet and have started to have some pain and numbness in my hands. This worries me most of all because I don't want to be taken off the Taxol. The neuropathy is not constant, it comes and goes, so that gives me some hope.

I've felt a little more fatigued this time than before. I thought my blood work was good, since most of my numbers were still high, but my doc says I'm slightly anemic, so I'm trying to make sure I get as much protein as I reasonably can every day. (I forgot to ask her if I should take iron supplements during chemo. Does anyone have experience with that?)

My hair had been coming out quickly, then stopped coming out just before the chemo. Now I think it's about to start coming out fast again. I got what's left of it cut very short last week, and I love the cut. I also went to an ACS Look Good, Feel Better session, and that was a great pick-me-up--even for someone who doesn't normally wear much makeup. I definitely recommend that women in cancer treatment consider attending one of those.

Would be interested in hearing how others are doing who have recently started treatment.

Hear is my update.  I have my

Hear is my update.  I have my third chemo treatment this comming tuesday.  I still have joint pain in my legs.  I dont think that got any worse since my first chemo treatment.  Ive been taking egg shell membraine to help with that.  I dont know if its helping but i havent stpped taking it.  Ithankst might be.  I got dizziness after second chemo i couldnt get rid of it so i got depressed.  Im hoping to get rid of that symptom for next treatment.  Im trying to be positive but it is hard at time.  My last weks seem to be pretty good.  Im finding that is when i can go have some fun with my kids.  I have been contiplating taking the look better feel better class and thanks to beccatown i looked into that futher today.  I need to call back on monday to get signed up.  Honestly my motivation to want to take this class is to get the free make up kit  and to learn how to do fake eye brows.  That will be a tough one for me.

• MAbound

Iron doesn't work fast.

Iron doesn't work fast and can be constipating, so you might want to talk to your doctor 1st about it before taking any. It can also make your stools black and that can be scary if you're not expecting that.

Ask your doctor what kind of bowel regimen he would recommend for you, because that's probably the key to dealing with that issue.  I was told lots and lots of water every day (2-3 qts.), and Miralx twice a day. I still don't go the first three days after a treatment, but it keeps things from getting too uncomfortable. I'm also on a low fiber diet because fiber can actually cause a blockage when chemo messes with how your bowels normally work. The drugs affect the nerves in the intestine too, I'm afraid, not just in our hands and feet. Sucks!

I'm signed up for the beauty class in August. Sounds like a nice excuse to get out of the house. Not sure my eyes can handle eyeliner and fake lashes, though. 

• beccabtown
    Update & a question

I had my 3rd round of chemo last week. Side effects generally have been comparable to the previous rounds. Pain in my hands and feet has been a bit worse, but that is going away now. I managed to avoid becoming too constipated this time. Hair has started coming out in handfuls again, though I still have enough to sort of cover the bald spots.

The big change this time is that I've almost lost my sense of taste. It's so frustrating to still have an appetite but not be able to taste anything. I'm getting by, finding that salty tastes and crunchy textures are best for me.

My question is how long this side effect is likely to last. Does it go away fairly quickly, like the pain does, or is it likely to continue until chemo treatment is over?

The 3rd chemo marks the end of Phase 1 of the sandwich regimen (the first slice of bread?!) for me. Even though I have a looong way to go, it feels good to be able to check one thing off the list. I'll find out tomorrow when my radiation treatments will start. I've been dreading that more than the chemo, but I'll be glad to have a change of routine.

I hope that others who are in treatment are doing well. Would be interested in hearing from you.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    edited August 2016 #312

Update & a question

I had my 3rd round of chemo last week. Side effects generally have been comparable to the previous rounds. Pain in my hands and feet has been a bit worse, but that is going away now. I managed to avoid becoming too constipated this time. Hair has started coming out in handfuls again, though I still have enough to sort of cover the bald spots.

The big change this time is that I've almost lost my sense of taste. It's so frustrating to still have an appetite but not be able to taste anything. I'm getting by, finding that salty tastes and crunchy textures are best for me.

My question is how long this side effect is likely to last. Does it go away fairly quickly, like the pain does, or is it likely to continue until chemo treatment is over?

The 3rd chemo marks the end of Phase 1 of the sandwich regimen (the first slice of bread?!) for me. Even though I have a looong way to go, it feels good to be able to check one thing off the list. I'll find out tomorrow when my radiation treatments will start. I've been dreading that more than the chemo, but I'll be glad to have a change of routine.

I hope that others who are in treatment are doing well. Would be interested in hearing from you.

Taste

I lost my taste at about 7-8 days after chemo every time.  Taste for salt was really affected.  It usually came back at about 2 weeks.  I also lpost my appetite a lot and things I really used to like I couldn't  hardly stand to eat.  Both taste and appitite seem to get worse over time.  I am off chemo and on immunotherapy for now and my appitite is starting to come back

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• beccabtown
    edited August 2016 #313
    Lou Ann M said:

Taste

I lost my taste at about 7-8 days after chemo every time.  Taste for salt was really affected.  It usually came back at about 2 weeks.  I also lpost my appetite a lot and things I really used to like I couldn't  hardly stand to eat.  Both taste and appitite seem to get worse over time.  I am off chemo and on immunotherapy for now and my appitite is starting to come back

Thanks

Thanks for answering my question, Lou Ann. It sounds like this situation may go on longer than I hoped. I feel like my mouth is full of Novocain because of not being able to taste much.

I'm glad to hear your appetite is returning! Hoping for the best for you.

• beccabtown
    Lou Ann M said:

Taste

Thanks

Thanks for answering my question, Lou Ann. It sounds like this situation may go on longer than I hoped. I feel like my mouth is full of Novocain because of not being able to taste much.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

Thanks

Hey Becca,

Hey Becca,

I used lowfat milk and lowfat ice cream to make milkshakes when nothing else appealed. The cold felt good and went down easy.

I hope you get some taste back in between treatments.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• ShelaghE
    ShelaghE Member Posts: 7 Member

Had my first chemo 2 weeks ago. I am booked for 6 rounds of Taxol plus carbaplantin every 3 weeks. While I getting the first chemo, I realized that I was coming down with a cold. Rotten luck. I got a bad cough, which kept me from sleeping at night. I had a doctor’s appointment after one week, and when I complained about the cold, she gave me prednisone, antibiotics and codeine for sleep. If I stub my toe, I am going to ask her for heroin and cocaine😂.

aside from the cold, my side effects have been minor. I took a couple of anti nausea pills a couple of times because I felt a little off, but had no nausea. The biggest impact was fatigue. I could barely sit at the table long enough to eat dinner. My appetite went down, and soup appealed to me most. My bowels were weird, I felt urgency, but had trouble moving them. My doctor suggested Peptobismal which really helped to settle things. But I started using maxi pads because I was having trouble with some urinary incontinence. I found this to be a big relief. This was perhaps because I was really trying to stay hydrated. I felt very dehydrated, and started using vaseline on my lips which worked better than lip balm. I realized that my lack of activity was causing me to feel very stiff and achy. I remembered that in the hospital, they insisted on getting peopke up walking around right after surgery, and it makes a huge difference.

After two weeks, I feel pretty good, but really out of shape. Today, I went for a dog walk with my husband. I did not get far, but sat in the car afterwards while he ran them. It was nice to be outside in nature.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member

Shelagh, you made me laugh at your plan in case you stub your toe.