Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Options

Comments

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Chris

I'm just starting to climb out of my last chemo hell.... Sorry for the late response.

I'm right there with you on the 'what next' front. In fact, my anxiety started the day of my last chemo. I'm sure this is all normal but I really hate that feeling!

My radiologist appointment is Dec. 9th. I had rescheduled it from October because I just wasn't ready to face it. I'm still not ready! I have never been so undecisive about something in my life. But, I guess this is the ultimate in making a life decision so it warrants a lot of thought.  The thing is, I'm not even sure what to ask him that will help me make a decision. I don't want to decide based on fear. But, that is a tall order since just hearing the C word is fearful!

BTW, I have not been able to focus for quite a while. In fact, I have only managed to finish ONE book since I started chemo. Hopefully we will both get back to normal soon after our LAST ONE!

Take care my friend and Chemosabe partner! Phase 1 finish line is in our sightline!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Only one more chemo!

What a pleasure it will be to ring the bell after your last treatment! I know what a difficult decision that radiation treatment is. I did discuss it several times with my gyn/onc as well as with the radiologist and even now I'm not sure I made the right decision!  I did do three sessions of brachytherapy but no external radiation. I really saw no purpose to the external as there was absolutely no sign that my cancer had spread outside the uterus, but it had spread to my cervix which is why I ultimately did agree to the brachytherapy. Go ahead and keep your appointment with the radiologist and see what he recommends. Maybe get a second opinion. There is so much discussion now regarding radiation, it makes it so difficult to come to a decision. 

I finished chemo and radiation treatment 18 months ago and I'm feeling great. I do have some discomfort due to minor vaginal scarring, but it is under control. I don't regret doing the radiation but I am still not sure that it really made a difference as far as chances of a reoccurrence.  This is ultimately your decision. Sandy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options

Delay

Hey Lou Ann,

Sorry for the low counts and anemia. But, so happy about a chemo free Christmas and Birthday for you! I say that is a silver lining for sure.

I'm praying that your scans come back with great results. Please let us know what you find out!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Sandy, LouAnn, Connie

Thank you for the feedback. I am truly grateful for your support and wisdom.

I will go to the radiologist appointment on Wednesday. I still need to list out my questions. :-)

This chemo round was different than the last two. And, it really played with my emotional strength or lack thereof. I'll post the "impacts" in a separate thread. I'm feeling stronger today and am hopeful that the worst is over for this time.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options

Sandy, LouAnn, Connie

Thank you for the feedback. I am truly grateful for your support and wisdom.

I will go to the radiologist appointment on Wednesday. I still need to list out my questions. :-)

This chemo round was different than the last two. And, it really played with my emotional strength or lack thereof. I'll post the "impacts" in a separate thread. I'm feeling stronger today and am hopeful that the worst is over for this time.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

chemo impacts - round 5

As I stated earlier, this one was different than rounds 3 and 4.

What was better was much less bone and joint pain. I had some but it truly was (and is) minimal.

My legs still hurt like before but not as intense.

What was worse was very heavy fatigue and stomach aches. The fatigue hit as usual half way through day 2 post chemo. And I was unable to do much of anything until today. (Today is day 7 post chemo day.) I spent 5 days sleeping. I would get up in the morning and sit on the porch for an hour then on the couch until dinner time.  I could barely get food on the plates and sit and eat before I was back on the couch again until bedtime. This cycle of doing nothing really  wore on me emotionally. By yesterday my level of crankiness was beyond any I have had to deal with. I did not even take a shower for 3 days. (I know YUCK!) I skipped 2 days walking my boys and decided to try on that 5th day. OMG - I thought I was going to die by the time we got home. And, it was only a 10 minute walk! They say walking helps with the fatigue. Well, I felt sicker than I can begin to describe after that attempt!  My breathing has been more labored too. I guess that goes along with the fatigue.

Stomach issues were harder this time than before. My appetite was non-existent and even when I was hungry, I didn't feel like eating. I had severe cramps, sharp pains and nausea. The pills didn't give much relief. Normally they take care of that fairly well. I lost 6 pounds in 4 days. Eating seemed to make me hurt more. I never had diarhea or constipation. But, I had that upset feeling for days. And I knew when I ate I was going to hurt more. I did force the issue of eating something every day. And drinking too. But, it was very hard to do. Days 3,4,5 were the hardest for dealing with the stomach issues. Day 6 was much better and today is almost back to a normal level of being able to eat with little pain afterwards.

I had a lot of random sharp pains throughout my body this time. I always get some of that but it seemed to be more of it. Might be my imagination though since I felt so crappy with the other things.

My fingers and hands in general hurt more. I have had limited strength and my fingertips are numb.

Sooo.... I woke up today feeling much better. It is amazing the difference. I still have low energy but not fatigue. I have managed to stay awake and it is after 1:00. And, I even loaded the dishwasher. :-)

My attitude is much better as well. Thank goodness that is behind me!

I debated on posting this because I don't want to scare newbies. But, decided knowledge is helpful and the fact that I came out the other side of the crappy days ready to face the next challenge would be worth noting.  I'll say it again... I'm amazed at the strength we all find when we need it the most.

And... I only have ONE MORE TO GO!

Finally, the support I received from many of you was more appreciated than I can begin to express. Your encouragement and reminders of the temporary nature of this beast, the words of wisdom on why our bodies fail us and the love in your words helped boost my emotional well being. I'm forever grateful.

Love and Hugs to All from your Chemosabe partner,

Cindi

• Yikes!

OK, (so maybe you scared me a little bit) but sorry to hear that you were so fatigued this time.  I'm planning (hoping) to go to chemo on Thursdays, back to work on Fridays, rest Sat & Sun and go to work the next weeks until my cycle again.  I'm by myself, so I don't have anyone to drive me, etc so I'm hoping I can hang in there.  I live in Nebraska and expect cold and snow too, so I guess I'll see what my body tells me.  Thanks for sharing, and yea to one more to go for you.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Yikes!

OK, (so maybe you scared me a little bit) but sorry to hear that you were so fatigued this time.  I'm planning (hoping) to go to chemo on Thursdays, back to work on Fridays, rest Sat & Sun and go to work the next weeks until my cycle again.  I'm by myself, so I don't have anyone to drive me, etc so I'm hoping I can hang in there.  I live in Nebraska and expect cold and snow too, so I guess I'll see what my body tells me.  Thanks for sharing, and yea to one more to go for you.

Chemo + work

While I was working, I had chemo on Wednesdays and would go to work on Thursday and Friday's rest up on Saturday and Sundays.  I went back on Monday.  I was always pretty tired on Monday, but it did work.  Now that I am retired, I honestly don't know how I did it.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Chemo + work

While I was working, I had chemo on Wednesdays and would go to work on Thursday and Friday's rest up on Saturday and Sundays.  I went back on Monday.  I was always pretty tired on Monday, but it did work.  Now that I am retired, I honestly don't know how I did it.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

DonsWife48

There are a lot of women that are able to continue working.  Based on my reaction to chemo, I would not have been able to do so.  Many women can tolerate the side effects much better than I do. And, many don't have the severity either. So, here's to hoping, praying and wishing you fall into the last category!  :-)

I'm sending you lots of positive vibes for an easier impact.

I was able to walk my little guys tonight. Woo Hoo!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Yikes!

Thought I'd chime in

Thought I'd chime in here.  Here's the thing...  everybody reacts to chemo differently.  Heck, I just recently made contact with someone whose identical twin was diagnosed shortly after her own treatment was complete.  Same diagnosis, same chemo, totally different reactions.  I have had a relatively easy time of it during chemo.  I have had no overwhelming fatigue, no nausea only occasional slight queasiness, no food aversions, a healthy appetite.  I have had stomach pains which are not pleasant but tolerable, constipation which is now manageable, and very slight numbness now in my fingertips and toes.  The first go round for me was the worst as far as being kind of tired on days 3 and 4 after chemo, but not so much that I couldn't get off the bed.  Mostly more tired in the late afternoon and evening, though early on, I did take a few naps on days 3 & 4.  Weirdly, the last couple of times I seem to be having fewer side effects.  Or maybe I just know what they are and they don't bother me as much as they did the first time around.   I would say be prepared for the worst, but don't assume that is how it will affect you.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I continue to be fortunate after my sixth and final this Friday.

Here's hoping that your side effects will be minimal.

Chris

• giggs100
    giggs100 Member Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Thought I'd chime in

Thought I'd chime in here.  Here's the thing...  everybody reacts to chemo differently.  Heck, I just recently made contact with someone whose identical twin was diagnosed shortly after her own treatment was complete.  Same diagnosis, same chemo, totally different reactions.  I have had a relatively easy time of it during chemo.  I have had no overwhelming fatigue, no nausea only occasional slight queasiness, no food aversions, a healthy appetite.  I have had stomach pains which are not pleasant but tolerable, constipation which is now manageable, and very slight numbness now in my fingertips and toes.  The first go round for me was the worst as far as being kind of tired on days 3 and 4 after chemo, but not so much that I couldn't get off the bed.  Mostly more tired in the late afternoon and evening, though early on, I did take a few naps on days 3 & 4.  Weirdly, the last couple of times I seem to be having fewer side effects.  Or maybe I just know what they are and they don't bother me as much as they did the first time around.   I would say be prepared for the worst, but don't assume that is how it will affect you.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I continue to be fortunate after my sixth and final this Friday.

Here's hoping that your side effects will be minimal.

Chris

Hmmm not looking forward to chemo but looking forward to living

Well tomorrow is my first treatment of chemo and a bit uneasy but I will take whatever it takes to get through it to continue living.  I have two more treatments to follow on Wednesday and Thursday.  I will let you know how it goes for me.  Tomorrow I also get my port put in before treatment.  I have a total of 5 more (3 day treatments) after that with 2 week rest periods between each treatment.  

• giggs100 said:

Hmmm not looking forward to chemo but looking forward to living

Well tomorrow is my first treatment of chemo and a bit uneasy but I will take whatever it takes to get through it to continue living.  I have two more treatments to follow on Wednesday and Thursday.  I will let you know how it goes for me.  Tomorrow I also get my port put in before treatment.  I have a total of 5 more (3 day treatments) after that with 2 week rest periods between each treatment.  

That's a good sentiment, looking forward to living!

Thanks gals for being here for everyone, new and old diagnosed.  Giggs100, that sounds like an aggressive therapy, do you mind if I ask what drugs you are receiving?  I had my port put in last Wednesday, it itches, but it will be my new friend if I don't have to have an IV in the hand as much.  I already have a bump on my wrist from the first one (during my hysterectomy).  It seems like it will be with me permanently.

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

chemo impacts - round 5

What was better was much less bone and joint pain. I had some but it truly was (and is) minimal.

What was worse was very heavy fatigue and stomach aches. The fatigue hit as usual half way through day 2 post chemo. And I was unable to do much of anything until today. (Today is day 7 post chemo day.) I spent 5 days sleeping. I would get up in the morning and sit on the porch for an hour then on the couch until dinner time.  I could barely get food on the plates and sit and eat before I was back on the couch again until bedtime. This cycle of doing nothing really  wore on me emotionally. By yesterday my level of crankiness was beyond any I have had to deal with. I did not even take a shower for 3 days. (I know YUCK!) I skipped 2 days walking my boys and decided to try on that 5th day. OMG - I thought I was going to die by the time we got home. And, it was only a 10 minute walk! They say walking helps with the fatigue. Well, I felt sicker than I can begin to describe after that attempt!  My breathing has been more labored too. I guess that goes along with the fatigue.

Stomach issues were harder this time than before. My appetite was non-existent and even when I was hungry, I didn't feel like eating. I had severe cramps, sharp pains and nausea. The pills didn't give much relief. Normally they take care of that fairly well. I lost 6 pounds in 4 days. Eating seemed to make me hurt more. I never had diarhea or constipation. But, I had that upset feeling for days. And I knew when I ate I was going to hurt more. I did force the issue of eating something every day. And drinking too. But, it was very hard to do. Days 3,4,5 were the hardest for dealing with the stomach issues. Day 6 was much better and today is almost back to a normal level of being able to eat with little pain afterwards.

I had a lot of random sharp pains throughout my body this time. I always get some of that but it seemed to be more of it. Might be my imagination though since I felt so crappy with the other things.

My fingers and hands in general hurt more. I have had limited strength and my fingertips are numb.

Sooo.... I woke up today feeling much better. It is amazing the difference. I still have low energy but not fatigue. I have managed to stay awake and it is after 1:00. And, I even loaded the dishwasher. :-)

I debated on posting this because I don't want to scare newbies. But, decided knowledge is helpful and the fact that I came out the other side of the crappy days ready to face the next challenge would be worth noting.  I'll say it again... I'm amazed at the strength we all find when we need it the most.

Finally, the support I received from many of you was more appreciated than I can begin to express. Your encouragement and reminders of the temporary nature of this beast, the words of wisdom on why our bodies fail us and the love in your words helped boost my emotional well being. I'm forever grateful.

Cindi

Thank you for posting this!!!

Thank you for posting this!!!  I have gone through all these things and it makes me feel like I'm not alone AND more importantly, if you can get through it, I can too.  You give so much hope when you say you're better today and you had days where you barely had the strength to take your pups outside.  I feel like that with Spunky.  I can barely make it to the door when he scratches to go outside, much less take him outside to play.

And, ONLY ONE MORE TO GO!!!  We should have "end-of-chemo" virtual parties!!  I plan to have one the second week of February!!!

Love,

Eldri

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Yikes!

I hope that schedule works

I hope that schedule works for you, Donswife.  Some people have said they worked straight through the chemo.  I couldn't do it but hopefully after my chemo tomorrow, I'll be better by Monday.  I'm getting the Neulasta shot too and I think that adds a little longer recovery time.

Love,

Eldri

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Options

chemo impacts - round 5

Cindi

Thanks for the enlightenment and the insight into yr. journey

The honest info. is what helps newbies the most to make informed decisions. Knowing what to expect makes for a less frightening journey. Reading  your and others  unsugarcoated  stories  doable is what I think most people will think.Reading about the reality probably won't stop anyone from doing treatment. I am convinced that  the 2 in a million that refuse the said treatment  has had this mind set  of refusal years before cancer knocked their door, So  please ladies  like Cindy , please post the good,bad and the ugly.

Wish I could keep  the rough days out of your path but it is part and parcel of and you are strong and determined, I wish you and all NED.

Nuff love ,Moli

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    Options

I hope that schedule works

I hope that schedule works for you, Donswife.  Some people have said they worked straight through the chemo.  I couldn't do it but hopefully after my chemo tomorrow, I'll be better by Monday.  I'm getting the Neulasta shot too and I think that adds a little longer recovery time.

Love,

Eldri

Im working through chemo and

Im working through chemo and radiation - or at least that is the plan. I work for one of the Big Four accounting firms and they have been wonderful with process thus far.  We have agreed to take it day by day - I will work as I can when I can and take another leave if and when things get to a point that I need to.  I set my chemo up for Wed. so I have the steriods given as premeds and the ones I take at home to help me through Thurs. and Friday and then am able to be home and rest on days 3 & 4 (Saturday and Sunday)....then back to work on Monday.

I had my first round three weeks ago tomorrow and my first week was during my last week of medical leave for the hysterectomy. As far as side effects go the meds I was prescribed for home use control any nauseau very well.  Days 3 and 4 were not good days for me as predicited by the nurse.  I was tired and my bones were very achy.  I felt pretty good after day 5 except I couldn't stand the taste of much - even water was horrible! The end of week 1 and into week 2 was very hard for me from an eating and hydrating prespective.  I did find that I needed to eat something every few hours (just small bites) to keep the queazy away.  Sometime mid week two Ichemo started escaping my body everywhere - it was like fire!  My tears burned my face, I have a bit of a cold so my nose ran with the same fire and caused several bloody noses (I use Ayr a gel saline solution on a Qtip to put it in my nose), if I burped it was the same vial fire and made me instantly gag and nearly vomit, I peed the same fire and developed a rash and burns on my bottom (I switched to moisten toilet paper and used diaper rach cream)...I was a total mess but it only lasted about four days and I have been pretty much feeling like my old self since.

Hopeing round two has no new issues :)

• giggs100
    Options
    OK first day of first application Done

Well first day of application of chemo done and it didn't go too bad.   The name of the drugs I am given are Ifosfamide and Paclitaxel (taxol/Ifex).   Port placement ran into some problems.   I got to run my appointment for second application is this morning.   I will write more later the evening about how second day went and my port problem.   

Jerri 

• giggs100
    Options
    Day Two of Chemo is done

Well day two of chemo application is done as of noon today.  So far affects have not been too noticeable which I am glad of.  Day three is tomorrow so we will see what that brings.  My port when put in was a little bit of a hic-up and that was because of a blood thinner drug I was on and that didn't get stopped soon enough before the procedure.  So the problem was it didn't want to clot up and continued to bleed through out the day on Monday when installed.  They opened up the port area and cauterized the small blood vessels that were still bleeding and as of last night to this morning no more bleeding and all looks well.  They also put a picc in my left arm so they could continue on with my chemo treatments this week.  They checked out the port area this morning and will check again on next Tuesday to make sure everything is healing right.  My schedule during the remainder of chemo will always be long day Tuesday with both drugs and mesna given to me and short days Tuesday and Wednesday with just one drug and mesna.  Hope the rest of my chemo goes as well but the additional drugs in my body with each application will eventually take its toll.

Jerri

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Chemo #6

I posted in another thread, but I also wanted to post here since we are documenting our chemo experiences in one place.  I had my 6th and final infusion today.  While I am glad that this phase is over, I'd also like to say that it was a much easier experience than I anticipated. No delays in treatment, no Neulasta, no major reactions or side effects.

I am sure that the fact that I did not lose my appetite nor have any food aversions was a major factor in being able to keep my blood counts up and head off most of the fatigue.  I also took a few supplements, L-Glutamine, Vitamin D3, B12, B6, probiotics and Claritin to help head off some side effects.  Pro active Miralax and stool softener worked for the constipation.  And lots of liquid, of course.

Right now, I have some mild numbness in my fingertips and toe tips.  My doctor said that once the steroids wear off, I may experience more of that.  Guess we'll wait and see.

As I move forward, I am in the process of getting a second opinion regarding radiation from the UC Davis Med Center here in Sacramento, a Comprehensive Cancer Center.  And I am getting a referral to a nutritionist if I do decide to go that route.

But right now, I am enjoying the end chemo.  This might be the second best Christmas gift ever.  The absolute best would be the gift of NED, but I think I will have to wait til next year for that!

Thanks to all of the ladies here on the board for their advice/experiences, even those who no longer frequent the board. 

You all rock!

Cindy, it's your turn next!!!

Chris

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Chemo #6

I posted in another thread, but I also wanted to post here since we are documenting our chemo experiences in one place.  I had my 6th and final infusion today.  While I am glad that this phase is over, I'd also like to say that it was a much easier experience than I anticipated. No delays in treatment, no Neulasta, no major reactions or side effects.

I am sure that the fact that I did not lose my appetite nor have any food aversions was a major factor in being able to keep my blood counts up and head off most of the fatigue.  I also took a few supplements, L-Glutamine, Vitamin D3, B12, B6, probiotics and Claritin to help head off some side effects.  Pro active Miralax and stool softener worked for the constipation.  And lots of liquid, of course.

Right now, I have some mild numbness in my fingertips and toe tips.  My doctor said that once the steroids wear off, I may experience more of that.  Guess we'll wait and see.

As I move forward, I am in the process of getting a second opinion regarding radiation from the UC Davis Med Center here in Sacramento, a Comprehensive Cancer Center.  And I am getting a referral to a nutritionist if I do decide to go that route.

But right now, I am enjoying the end chemo.  This might be the second best Christmas gift ever.  The absolute best would be the gift of NED, but I think I will have to wait til next year for that!

Thanks to all of the ladies here on the board for their advice/experiences, even those who no longer frequent the board. 

You all rock!

Cindy, it's your turn next!!!

Chris

Yep, my turn next! I read

Yep, my turn next! I read your other post before this one. So glad you are done.

My husband and I decided We would celebrate New Year's on February 1st.  I'll be finished with chemo and radiation and plan to put cancer behind me!

Here's to all of us finding peace with this beast and being able to live great lives for many many more years!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• giggs100
    Options
    Well I am tired on days 4 and 5

The tiredness hit me days 4 and 5.  Kind of just took it easy and watched TV those days.  Got my Neulasta shot on Friday and those effects were some pain in my thumb joints and uppper part of my thighs.  Still not sleeping well in the nights.  I think that would be caused by the steroid pills??? Hopefully they will wear off and can get a good nights sleep. 

I just want to thank all of you for give me a heads up on what to expect. 

Love and hugs to all of you.

Jerri

• giggs100 said:

Well I am tired on days 4 and 5

The tiredness hit me days 4 and 5.  Kind of just took it easy and watched TV those days.  Got my Neulasta shot on Friday and those effects were some pain in my thumb joints and uppper part of my thighs.  Still not sleeping well in the nights.  I think that would be caused by the steroid pills??? Hopefully they will wear off and can get a good nights sleep. 

I just want to thank all of you for give me a heads up on what to expect. 

Love and hugs to all of you.

Jerri

Joint/muscle pain today!

Whee, isn't this fun!  I woke up last night with restless legs, twinges of pain.  Today, it seems the areas in my body that had booboos before are targeted now.  My right knee (arthritis) is sore, I get twinges of pain in my abdomen, my healed fractured wrist hurts, and my calf's where I get leg cramps are sore, with intermittant pain shooting.  At least the heart burn is better today.  I keep walking around the house as much as I can, but I didn't sleep much last night, don't appear to be on a sleepy schedule again tonight.  I am drinking fluids to help maybe flush the chemo from my system.  I read my calendar and today I was suppose to have fatigue and loss of appitite, it wasn't until tomorrow that the joint pain was suppose to start.  Guess my bodies an overachiever, darn it.  Oh and I have tingling slightly numb fingertips today too, ahead of schedule.  Wishing ME a better day tomorrow, and of course wishing all who read this a better day too.  Nancy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    unknown said:

Joint/muscle pain today!

Whee, isn't this fun!  I woke up last night with restless legs, twinges of pain.  Today, it seems the areas in my body that had booboos before are targeted now.  My right knee (arthritis) is sore, I get twinges of pain in my abdomen, my healed fractured wrist hurts, and my calf's where I get leg cramps are sore, with intermittant pain shooting.  At least the heart burn is better today.  I keep walking around the house as much as I can, but I didn't sleep much last night, don't appear to be on a sleepy schedule again tonight.  I am drinking fluids to help maybe flush the chemo from my system.  I read my calendar and today I was suppose to have fatigue and loss of appitite, it wasn't until tomorrow that the joint pain was suppose to start.  Guess my bodies an overachiever, darn it.  Oh and I have tingling slightly numb fingertips today too, ahead of schedule.  Wishing ME a better day tomorrow, and of course wishing all who read this a better day too.  Nancy

Jerri and Nancy

I hope your days ahead of this round of chemo get much better.  It is tough, but doable as you are and will continue to discover.

The random sharp pains are just too strange for words, aren't they?!

Neuropothy has gotten worse for me after Chemo #5.  Hands, Feet and Legs hurt. And, seems to be worse at night.  However, it isn't excrutiating pain. Just bothersome and I can't stand up more than about 20 minutes or so at a time.  I fully expect this to go away once I'm done.

Thinking of you and hope you are on the mend for this time around!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi