Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Options

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Jerri and Nancy

I hope your days ahead of this round of chemo get much better.  It is tough, but doable as you are and will continue to discover.

The random sharp pains are just too strange for words, aren't they?!

Neuropothy has gotten worse for me after Chemo #5.  Hands, Feet and Legs hurt. And, seems to be worse at night.  However, it isn't excrutiating pain. Just bothersome and I can't stand up more than about 20 minutes or so at a time.  I fully expect this to go away once I'm done.

Thinking of you and hope you are on the mend for this time around!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

sharp pains and nueropathy

I get very sharp pains all over at times.  They don't last more than a minute or two. Just weird, but I wonder if it is the chemo attacking cells in my body.

I statred feeling the nueropathy after chemo #6.  It doesn't bother my hands much at all, but makes my feet burn like a severe sunburn.  It seldom bothers me during the day, but starts in the light evening.  For awhile I had a lot of trouble sleeping because of it. I finally gave in and let my dr. give me a perscription for Gabipentin and that does help.. I accidently discovered that Lorazapan with the Gabipentin really works well.  I can sleep most of the night pain free.  Natural food stores have some things that may herlp, too

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

sharp pains and nueropathy

I get very sharp pains all over at times.  They don't last more than a minute or two. Just weird, but I wonder if it is the chemo attacking cells in my body.

I statred feeling the nueropathy after chemo #6.  It doesn't bother my hands much at all, but makes my feet burn like a severe sunburn.  It seldom bothers me during the day, but starts in the light evening.  For awhile I had a lot of trouble sleeping because of it. I finally gave in and let my dr. give me a perscription for Gabipentin and that does help.. I accidently discovered that Lorazapan with the Gabipentin really works well.  I can sleep most of the night pain free.  Natural food stores have some things that may herlp, too

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Thanks Lou Ann. I find it

Thanks Lou Ann. I find it interesting that many of us are opposed to taking pills and hold off until we just can't take it any longer.

We must not be good candidates to get hooked on drugs! :-)

I have Lorazepan and my sister keeps telling me to take it at night to sleep. If mine gets any worse, I may have to do that.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• giggs100
    giggs100 Member Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Thanks Lou Ann. I find it

Thanks Lou Ann. I find it interesting that many of us are opposed to taking pills and hold off until we just can't take it any longer.

We must not be good candidates to get hooked on drugs! :-)

I have Lorazepan and my sister keeps telling me to take it at night to sleep. If mine gets any worse, I may have to do that.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Interesting how we think about drugs

Wow can't believe I had a message out here and just about done typing it and I pressed something and it was gone.  LOL  Anyway....... here goes again.   I have a  bit of time yet before the Packers game is starting so will try this again.

Cindi I totally agree with you about not wanting drugs that might get us hooked on them.   I didn't take anything more then a couple of Tylenol right after my hysterectomy at midnite that night and again at 3AM.  Then not again until the next night before I went to bed and another the next night.  But then the pain wasn't really bad so I really didn't need anything more.  Then when we picked up my drugs when I left the hospital she said on the nausea drugs (2 different kinds) she said on the second one to be proactive with them and take them when I felt nausea just setting in even tho I took the strong one (that was every 8 hours) right away.  Don't mess around with getting an upset tummy as it would be harder to get under control otherwise.   So I have been doing this and no nausea (not that I have to do that too often).  Maybe that is what we should do with our ailments when the doctor prescribes something for us.   Proactive to keep everything calm and good feelinng????

Last night I selpt pretty good compare to the two previous nights.  Only had to get up when I had to go potty and went right back to sleep.  Hoping nights forward from here will be as good.  Still tired but don't think as bad as yesterday maybe that is letting up too??? 

Take care ladies will let you know how I am feeling tomorrow or next day.

Jerri

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    giggs100 said:

Interesting how we think about drugs

Wow can't believe I had a message out here and just about done typing it and I pressed something and it was gone.  LOL  Anyway....... here goes again.   I have a  bit of time yet before the Packers game is starting so will try this again.

Cindi I totally agree with you about not wanting drugs that might get us hooked on them.   I didn't take anything more then a couple of Tylenol right after my hysterectomy at midnite that night and again at 3AM.  Then not again until the next night before I went to bed and another the next night.  But then the pain wasn't really bad so I really didn't need anything more.  Then when we picked up my drugs when I left the hospital she said on the nausea drugs (2 different kinds) she said on the second one to be proactive with them and take them when I felt nausea just setting in even tho I took the strong one (that was every 8 hours) right away.  Don't mess around with getting an upset tummy as it would be harder to get under control otherwise.   So I have been doing this and no nausea (not that I have to do that too often).  Maybe that is what we should do with our ailments when the doctor prescribes something for us.   Proactive to keep everything calm and good feelinng????

Last night I selpt pretty good compare to the two previous nights.  Only had to get up when I had to go potty and went right back to sleep.  Hoping nights forward from here will be as good.  Still tired but don't think as bad as yesterday maybe that is letting up too??? 

Take care ladies will let you know how I am feeling tomorrow or next day.

Jerri

It's so painful after I eat

It's so painful after I eat with heartburn driving me nuts.  And, trying to keep track of all these meds is crazy!!  I try to write everything down but get mixed up about what I take and what I eat.  It's so dark here I had my days and nights mixed up and my doctor took me off oxycontin because I was hallucinating.  I spent a hell of a night last night.  The cure is becoming as bad as the disease!!! 

Love, 

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options

It's so painful after I eat with heartburn driving me nuts.  And, trying to keep track of all these meds is crazy!!  I try to write everything down but get mixed up about what I take and what I eat.  It's so dark here I had my days and nights mixed up and my doctor took me off oxycontin because I was hallucinating.  I spent a hell of a night last night.  The cure is becoming as bad as the disease!!! 

Love, 

Eldri

Eldri

Did your doctor prescribe Prilosec yet? It should help you a lot.

Stomach issues was hard for me with #5. And the one thing I didn't have to deal with was the burning.

So sorry you are going through this. It hasn't been easy for me either. I just hope it levels out for you soon.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Lou Ann M
    Options

Love, 

Eldri

so sorry this has been so

so sorry this has been so tough for you.  I get pepsid  in my Iv and the Dr. suggested Ommeprozole for heartburn.  he said I could take up tom 4 a day.  The last 2 times I had terribler heart burn though and nothing seemed to help, I watched what I ate and took my Ommeprozole and nothing worked.  It kind of made me not want to eat.  This time it has not been to bad yet..  I guess I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I used to have one pill for hypertension and a few vitamins that I took.  Now I haven a whole arsenal of medications for even possible problem.  It was hard to keep them straight.  I finally bought some small pill boxes and I get them ready for three weeks at a time.  I need to get some more, because I have 5 I need to take at night.  It is so confusing.

I am hoping you get to pain free soon.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• It's so painful after I eat

Love, 

Eldri

Hi Eldri

I'm sorry you are suffereing with heartburn.  The first two nights after chemo I had it, finally it went away.  Now if only my nerve pain would do the same.  You're right, the cure is as bad as the disease sometimes.  My chemo nurse called me today, of course I wasn't at home, I tried to go to work.  She asked innocently how I was doing, I'm glad I have time to think about what I say.  I want her to know that I'm in pain, but I also don't want them to start giving me more and more pills etc, so I don't know whether to speak up or not.  And from the sound of it, that's exactly what has happened to you, your doctor prescribed something to help, but when it became an overload to your system, he took it away.  I pray that you have a better time today and tomorrow.  Nancy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi Eldri

I'm sorry you are suffereing with heartburn.  The first two nights after chemo I had it, finally it went away.  Now if only my nerve pain would do the same.  You're right, the cure is as bad as the disease sometimes.  My chemo nurse called me today, of course I wasn't at home, I tried to go to work.  She asked innocently how I was doing, I'm glad I have time to think about what I say.  I want her to know that I'm in pain, but I also don't want them to start giving me more and more pills etc, so I don't know whether to speak up or not.  And from the sound of it, that's exactly what has happened to you, your doctor prescribed something to help, but when it became an overload to your system, he took it away.  I pray that you have a better time today and tomorrow.  Nancy

Nancy

I know we all have to deal with our chemo issues in our own way. But, just wanted to encourage you to spill the beans to your doctor and nurses. You can always decide if you want to take the medicine should they determine you need it.  My oncologist told me at the beginning of this journey that they could manage just about anything that hurts. The only exception was hair loss. I had zero medical issues when I found out I had cancer. Barely took Advil for that occassional headache. Now, I have a reserved area on my counter just for my meds. And, it took me a while to figure out what sympton I was having to determine what med to take. My point is.... This is very different than anything we have had to deal with. Information is power. There is no need to hurt and tough your way through this. My two cents!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Nancy

I know we all have to deal with our chemo issues in our own way. But, just wanted to encourage you to spill the beans to your doctor and nurses. You can always decide if you want to take the medicine should they determine you need it.  My oncologist told me at the beginning of this journey that they could manage just about anything that hurts. The only exception was hair loss. I had zero medical issues when I found out I had cancer. Barely took Advil for that occassional headache. Now, I have a reserved area on my counter just for my meds. And, it took me a while to figure out what sympton I was having to determine what med to take. My point is.... This is very different than anything we have had to deal with. Information is power. There is no need to hurt and tough your way through this. My two cents!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Eldri, how are you doing today?

I'm a little concerned about going "cold turkey" without pain pills for you.  (My husband had to do just that, but that's a whole other story).  I really hope you are having a better day, along with all the rest of the ladies on this forum.  Nancy

• EZLiving66
    Options
    unknown said:

Eldri, how are you doing today?

I'm a little concerned about going "cold turkey" without pain pills for you.  (My husband had to do just that, but that's a whole other story).  I really hope you are having a better day, along with all the rest of the ladies on this forum.  Nancy

Hi Nancy!

I can still take Tylenol so I'm going to use that.  My PA said it might take a day or two to get the opiods out of my system.  Last night I still had some crazy dreams but not monsters trying to eat me.  I'm done with those kind of pain killers!!!  Just really tired today with diahhrea.  It feels like I have to learn to walk again because my legs are like rubber.  And....tomorrow should be even better!  I'm going into work for a couple of hours so I'm excited about that!!

Love,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options

Hi Nancy!

I can still take Tylenol so I'm going to use that.  My PA said it might take a day or two to get the opiods out of my system.  Last night I still had some crazy dreams but not monsters trying to eat me.  I'm done with those kind of pain killers!!!  Just really tired today with diahhrea.  It feels like I have to learn to walk again because my legs are like rubber.  And....tomorrow should be even better!  I'm going into work for a couple of hours so I'm excited about that!!

Love,

Eldri

Round #6 Chemo - Done and Done Also!!!

Finished it today. Very sleepy tonight already.

My blood didn't build up like it normally does but I still got the chemo without Neulasta. Makes sense though why I have low energy.

I'll post again when I get through the bad days.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and that you are all able to spend quality time with your families and friends.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    Options

My blood didn't build up like it normally does but I still got the chemo without Neulasta. Makes sense though why I have low energy.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and that you are all able to spend quality time with your families and friends.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

That's wonderful, Cindi!!!!

That's wonderful, Cindi!!!!  I hope your side effects are minimal and look forward to seeing you when they're done.

Love,

Eldri

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Merry Christmas to you Cindi!

I'm so glad you're done! I hope you gave that bell a big long ring! Some how it was easier for me to get through all the side effects from my final chemo treatment, probably because I knew I wasn't having any more! I hope it's the same for you. Get plenty of rest and savor your victory while you enjoy the holidays!  Sandy

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Woot! Woot!

Congrats and rest up!  Merry Christmas, Cindi!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Woot! Woot!

Congrats and rest up!  Merry Christmas, Cindi!

Wonderful!

So happy for you, Cindy.  This time next month you will be well on your way back to your normal self.

• Lou Ann M
    Options

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Fantastic

I am so happy for you.  As soon as you feel better go celebrate

• Round #6 Chemo - Done and Done Also!!!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Great news that you are done!

I just love happy news and hopefully happy endings.  Rest and give your body the pampering it desrves.  Happy holidays to everyone.  Nancy

• giggs100
    giggs100 Member Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Woooooooohooooooooooooo

So happy for you.  I can hardly wait to be able to say that but........ after 1 treatment and next one coming up next week have a bit of time to go yet.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hugs and prayers to all.

Jerri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    giggs100 said:

Woooooooohooooooooooooo

So happy for you.  I can hardly wait to be able to say that but........ after 1 treatment and next one coming up next week have a bit of time to go yet.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hugs and prayers to all.

Jerri

Thank you all for celebrating

Thank you all for celebrating with me! :-)

I am so lucky to have found all of you and can't imagine going through this without the courage and wisdom from those that were ahead of me and with me at the same time.

I hope my documented journey may also help someone currently in or soon to be in treatment as well.

Merry Christmas to ALL.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Thank you all for celebrating

Thank you all for celebrating with me! :-)

I am so lucky to have found all of you and can't imagine going through this without the courage and wisdom from those that were ahead of me and with me at the same time.

I hope my documented journey may also help someone currently in or soon to be in treatment as well.

Merry Christmas to ALL.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi, what a great Christmas present!

Cancer teaches us to pause, contemplate life and to revel in both the small and big victories. Finishing 6 rounds of chemo is a BIG accomplishment. You did it! In about a month's time, you will begin to notice and feel peach fuzz on your head. I look forward to meeting both you (peach fuzz and all!) and Sandy. Don't know if there are other Florida residents who post here.

Have a fun and memorable holiday season! 

A Warm Hug to you,

Cathy