Ladies going through chemo - how are you doing? Or those just starting or curious

Options

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Abbycat2 said:

Cindi, what a great Christmas present!

Cancer teaches us to pause, contemplate life and to revel in both the small and big victories. Finishing 6 rounds of chemo is a BIG accomplishment. You did it! In about a month's time, you will begin to notice and feel peach fuzz on your head. I look forward to meeting both you (peach fuzz and all!) and Sandy. Don't know if there are other Florida residents who post here.

Have a fun and memorable holiday season! 

A Warm Hug to you,

Cathy

Chemo #6 Impacts - Last Time!

Hi All,

I'm happy to be on the other side of the chemo impacts today. Whew! I made it.  I had a wonderful sense of relief today. And, I'm looking forward to living a full life chemo and cancer free!

Have to say once again how grateful I am for all of the ladies on this board. The support, friendship, knowledge and overall willingness to share is priceless. Thank You!

Impacts:

This time was really unpredictable. It didn't follow the normal timeline. I'm still sitting with very low energy (day 8 post chemo). Since my blood count dropped again, I'm sure it will take longer for me to bounce back. I'm still  below the acceptable range for my WBC, HGB, and ANC as of yesterday's blood tests.  

I had very minimal bone and muscle pain.

Had the normal sharp/shooting pains off and on.

Had the normal stomach issues and no appetite.

Fatigue hit in the normal 2 days post chemo.

All of the other stuff hit on day 4 post chemo instead of day 3 (except the no appetite which hit same day as chemo)

Most of the pain this time was LESS than my average. Very happy about that!

Nueropothy has been really bad this time. My hands, legs and feet are all impacted. A lot of numbness, tingling and pain. The worst of it being the stinging. Best description I can come up with is to imagine a huge hornet with a 5" stinger sneaking up on you.  It seems to be getting better so far today.

Breathing is still labored when I try to move too fast. I was able to take a short walk last night with the pups. I missed several nights this time around. So, they were quite excited when I got the leashes. :-)

Overall, round 6 was way easier than rounds 3, 4 and 5.

I had a CT scan yesterday. I'll get the results next Monday. So far, I haven't felt any fear about this one. I had that initial day of dread when I was told it would be scheduled. Then, nothing since. Good, I'll take it!

Next steps: Brachytherapy which begins 1/14 and completes 1/28.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Hi All,

I'm happy to be on the other side of the chemo impacts today. Whew! I made it.  I had a wonderful sense of relief today. And, I'm looking forward to living a full life chemo and cancer free!

Have to say once again how grateful I am for all of the ladies on this board. The support, friendship, knowledge and overall willingness to share is priceless. Thank You!

Impacts:

This time was really unpredictable. It didn't follow the normal timeline. I'm still sitting with very low energy (day 8 post chemo). Since my blood count dropped again, I'm sure it will take longer for me to bounce back. I'm still  below the acceptable range for my WBC, HGB, and ANC as of yesterday's blood tests.  

All of the other stuff hit on day 4 post chemo instead of day 3 (except the no appetite which hit same day as chemo)

Nueropothy has been really bad this time. My hands, legs and feet are all impacted. A lot of numbness, tingling and pain. The worst of it being the stinging. Best description I can come up with is to imagine a huge hornet with a 5" stinger sneaking up on you.  It seems to be getting better so far today.

Breathing is still labored when I try to move too fast. I was able to take a short walk last night with the pups. I missed several nights this time around. So, they were quite excited when I got the leashes. :-)

I had a CT scan yesterday. I'll get the results next Monday. So far, I haven't felt any fear about this one. I had that initial day of dread when I was told it would be scheduled. Then, nothing since. Good, I'll take it!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

So happy to hear that #6 was

So happy to hear that #6 was easier than 3-5.  And now you are on your way! Doesn't it feel great to be on the upswing? 

In a way, I feel that my life after chemo doesn't really begin until Friday, which would have been when my next chemo would have been scheduled if I were still doing that.  On that day, instead of subjecting my body to the poison, I will be celebrating the beginning of not only a New Year, but a new chapter in my life.

I say we both have extra reasons to celebrate the end of this year and the beginning of the next one!

Chris

• Editgrl said:

So happy to hear that #6 was

So happy to hear that #6 was easier than 3-5.  And now you are on your way! Doesn't it feel great to be on the upswing? 

In a way, I feel that my life after chemo doesn't really begin until Friday, which would have been when my next chemo would have been scheduled if I were still doing that.  On that day, instead of subjecting my body to the poison, I will be celebrating the beginning of not only a New Year, but a new chapter in my life.

I say we both have extra reasons to celebrate the end of this year and the beginning of the next one!

Chris

Oh I'm so happy for everyone that is finished, but jealous too!

How wonderful to be able to say you're done with chemo!  I'm just having my 2nd chemo tomorrow, but at least it's progress.  I hope to be able to say I'm done after 6?  I don't know what my future is, I don't even know if there is any cancer that is still in my body because I haven't had any scans or tumor marker tests yet, just surgery, now chemo.  Had my blood work done this morning, and only a small drop in the WBC & RBC.  I did notice my Bun/Cr ratio increased quite a bit.  I don't know how that will affect future chemo if it gets too high.  To all the ladies that I've met, I wish a happy, heathy New Year and MANY more.  Hugs Nancy

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

Hi All,

Impacts:

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

I'm so glad you made it,

I'm so glad you made it, Cindi!!  Here's to years and years of a wonderful life ahead of you!

Love,

Eldri

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Hi All,

Impacts:

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

So glad for you,

and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wishing you the best results with the scanner and the follow treatment!

And your hair back on your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Hi All,

Impacts:

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi

So glad #6 is done.  I hope you did a littl celebrating .  Good luck with the brachytherapy.  That was the easiest part of this journey for me.  It lasted less than 4 minutes and I had no side effects from it.  Just found  to be embarrassing.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Cindi

So glad #6 is done.  I hope you did a littl celebrating .  Good luck with the brachytherapy.  That was the easiest part of this journey for me.  It lasted less than 4 minutes and I had no side effects from it.  Just found  to be embarrassing.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Ladies...

Please celebrate my official NED status with me!  Woo Hoo! My CT scan was CLEAN.

Next stop.... Radiation.  I'm ready for it. :-) Lou Ann - my hope is for it to be just like yours....

My blood took another dive so I'm still in the "house arrest" phase. That's just fine with me.  I'll be out and about soon enough.

Chris - I'm with you on the feelings AFTER the 3rd week post last chemo. That will be next Monday for me. I believe yours was last Friday. Please share your new hair experience when you get to that point. I'm so darn curious for what, when, texture, color, etc when that happens for me.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    Options

Ladies...

Please celebrate my official NED status with me!  Woo Hoo! My CT scan was CLEAN.

Next stop.... Radiation.  I'm ready for it. :-) Lou Ann - my hope is for it to be just like yours....

My blood took another dive so I'm still in the "house arrest" phase. That's just fine with me.  I'll be out and about soon enough.

Chris - I'm with you on the feelings AFTER the 3rd week post last chemo. That will be next Monday for me. I believe yours was last Friday. Please share your new hair experience when you get to that point. I'm so darn curious for what, when, texture, color, etc when that happens for me.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

That is wonderful, Cindi!!

That is wonderful, Cindi!!  Here's to years and years of clean CT scans and NED!!

Love,

Eldri

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Ladies...

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Great news,

stay that way,

Wishing you the best.

My hair started to grow like after the 5th week post chemo.

Now I'm much more hairy than before, no other changes.

• Editgrl
    Options

Ladies...

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Congratulations, Cindi!

That's great news.  Here's hoping all scans are just like that one!

Yep, Day 22 was last Friday.  I'm eagerly awaiting the return of hair.  It might be hard to tell when the hair on my head starts growing again, because I did not go completely bald.  There is still a fair amount of fuzz there.  It seems that the hair on my legs stopped growing first, so maybe it will start growing first.  

Cucu, I was kind of thinking 4-5 weeks would be when things would start growing again.  Funny that your hair is thicker now than before.  That could be a good thing in some ways.  In some places, maybe not lol! 

I took a photo of myself last night and plan to take one every week to document my hair growing out.  I looked dreadful in the photo, however.  I think I'll put makeup on next time!

Most of the side effects I had from chemo, minor though they were, have diminished greatly.  The digestive issues, random stomach pains, gas, bloating, have almost completely disappeared.  I do still have the slight numbness in my fingertips and toes, but that seems to be getting better as well.  All in all, feeling strong and happy 3 1/2 weeks post-chemo.

Chris

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options

Ladies...

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Yea!!!

That is such great news!  I had the sorta sandwich chemo-radiation so by the time chemo was over radiation was just a memory!  My hair, lashes, brows, and every hair else disappeared, around chemo #2 wich was in Jan., chemo ended May 8th.  By Thanksgiving my hair was long enough to fix and throw the wig away!  No eye lashes, brows, or body hair has ever returned even five + years.  And as Alexandra said,"Best Brizillian Ever"!  Mine came in baby soft, same color, slightly wavey, but by three inches the wave left and left it as before, straight as a board!  Good luck with NED, we Sister-wives don't mind sharing!

• Editgrl
    Options
    debrajo said:

Yea!!!

That is such great news!  I had the sorta sandwich chemo-radiation so by the time chemo was over radiation was just a memory!  My hair, lashes, brows, and every hair else disappeared, around chemo #2 wich was in Jan., chemo ended May 8th.  By Thanksgiving my hair was long enough to fix and throw the wig away!  No eye lashes, brows, or body hair has ever returned even five + years.  And as Alexandra said,"Best Brizillian Ever"!  Mine came in baby soft, same color, slightly wavey, but by three inches the wave left and left it as before, straight as a board!  Good luck with NED, we Sister-wives don't mind sharing!

Anybody else

have only head hair return?  I'd really like to hear an explanation of how that happens.  I'm half Sicilian, so I was pretty hairy all over. I wouldn't mind if the body hair didn't return (nod to Alexandra!) but I do miss my eyelashes and brows.

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Anybody else

have only head hair return?  I'd really like to hear an explanation of how that happens.  I'm half Sicilian, so I was pretty hairy all over. I wouldn't mind if the body hair didn't return (nod to Alexandra!) but I do miss my eyelashes and brows.

Hair

My hair started growing back about 5-6 weeks after I finished chemo. At first it was very curly, it looked like I had a bad home perm! But as it grew it relaxed into the wavy hair I had in the past. Unfortunately it came back much thinner and remains that way to date. It also seems to grow slower than in the past. My eyebrows, which had been very full, and my eyelashes are also thinner. My hair came back mostly white( some of the hair on the back of my head stayed brown) and I had kept it that way until last week. My daughters coaxed me into dying it brown and I'm still getting used to it. My guess is nobody knows for sure what stimulates hair growth( Minoxadel aside), otherwise there would be a lot fewer bald people! Sandy

• EZLiving66
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Congratulations, Cindi!

That's great news.  Here's hoping all scans are just like that one!

Yep, Day 22 was last Friday.  I'm eagerly awaiting the return of hair.  It might be hard to tell when the hair on my head starts growing again, because I did not go completely bald.  There is still a fair amount of fuzz there.  It seems that the hair on my legs stopped growing first, so maybe it will start growing first.  

Cucu, I was kind of thinking 4-5 weeks would be when things would start growing again.  Funny that your hair is thicker now than before.  That could be a good thing in some ways.  In some places, maybe not lol! 

I took a photo of myself last night and plan to take one every week to document my hair growing out.  I looked dreadful in the photo, however.  I think I'll put makeup on next time!

Most of the side effects I had from chemo, minor though they were, have diminished greatly.  The digestive issues, random stomach pains, gas, bloating, have almost completely disappeared.  I do still have the slight numbness in my fingertips and toes, but that seems to be getting better as well.  All in all, feeling strong and happy 3 1/2 weeks post-chemo.

Chris

I'm 4 weeks since my last

I'm 4 weeks since my last chemo and no hair yet.  Since I only went 3 rounds my eyebrows and eyelashes never fell out.  I am still having a lot of side effects - diarhhea, stomach cramps, numb fingers, burning and needle-like pain in my feet, aching hips and legs, eye problems, anemia and fatigue.  I have to go back to my GP in three weeks for more tests on my liver to see if it has recovered.

I am so happy to hear how good you're doing, Chris, and can't wait to see how your hair comes back.

Love,

Eldri

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Anybody else

hair

all 3 times that my hair came back, it started to come in at about 3-4 weeks.  Never did get hair on my legs or arms,  Eye lashes and brows cam back slowly and thin.  Didn't lose any while I was on Doxil. Now that I am back on Taxol/Carbo I am again bald, but I still have some eyebrows.  Lou Ann

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Half way point achieved!!!

I am offically half way through!   Last Wednesday was a delayed round 3 but round three non the less!!  Round two was riddled with side effects for me - bone pain, the appearance of neuropathy in my fingers and feet (even the bottoms of my feet Surprised), no energy!, and a bad case of Bronchitis that looked to be head toward pneumonia.  An big antibotic cylce and a week to get through the antibotics and I was ready to tackle cycle 3 last Wed. 

Cycle 3's side effects have been much lighter than cycle 2. Not sure if the Bronchitis amplified things or what but I am thrilled the side effects are not as bad.  I have even been able to get to the gym and run a couple times.  Ran two miles last night...was aiming for a 5k (3.2) but a idiot with way more cologne than any one man should wear came in and hopped on a treadmill one down from mine.  Run done! The smell made me so neauseous that depsite trying my best to push through it I had to quite at 2.0 miles.  I should have puked on this shoes, it made me so mad.  Then another colgne overdose case followed me out of the gym.  I had to sit in my car, heat blarring, windows down to get some fresh air to feel up to driving home.

You all are such an inspiration to me.  Thanks for sharing all that you have and are going through.  It is so VERY helpful!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    cindy0519 said:

Half way point achieved!!!

I am offically half way through!   Last Wednesday was a delayed round 3 but round three non the less!!  Round two was riddled with side effects for me - bone pain, the appearance of neuropathy in my fingers and feet (even the bottoms of my feet Surprised), no energy!, and a bad case of Bronchitis that looked to be head toward pneumonia.  An big antibotic cylce and a week to get through the antibotics and I was ready to tackle cycle 3 last Wed. 

Cycle 3's side effects have been much lighter than cycle 2. Not sure if the Bronchitis amplified things or what but I am thrilled the side effects are not as bad.  I have even been able to get to the gym and run a couple times.  Ran two miles last night...was aiming for a 5k (3.2) but a idiot with way more cologne than any one man should wear came in and hopped on a treadmill one down from mine.  Run done! The smell made me so neauseous that depsite trying my best to push through it I had to quite at 2.0 miles.  I should have puked on this shoes, it made me so mad.  Then another colgne overdose case followed me out of the gym.  I had to sit in my car, heat blarring, windows down to get some fresh air to feel up to driving home.

You all are such an inspiration to me.  Thanks for sharing all that you have and are going through.  It is so VERY helpful!

Wow Cindy! I'm impressed that

Wow Cindy! I'm impressed that you could run at all!  I could not o more than about a 20 minute walk. At that was a stretch a few days each cycle.  You really are doing great.

I am 3.5 weeks out of my last chemo and odors still bother me. I have a feeling that will take a while to go away.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    cindy0519

When I worked in a hospital, the employees who worked in or went to the cancer center as part of their jobs were told to avoid wearing perfumes and colognes because cancer patients undergoing chemo are more sensitive to those things than people who aren't.  I have also noticed, after reading a book on eating right for your blood type, that people who aren't cancer patients seemed to notice scents/odors much more readily if they have blood type O than people of other types do. They noticed perfumes that others didn't, and they could tell what foods people had microwaved in the breakroom long after those people had left the room.  I asked those people if they happened to be blood type O and they always were.  I found that very interesting.    

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Options

Ladies...

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Great news my sister.

Cindi, congrats on your NED status. must be an awsome feeling, I pray ,wish ,hope it continues just like that .

Hugs and plenty love. Moli.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    molimoli said:

Great news my sister.

Cindi, congrats on your NED status. must be an awsome feeling, I pray ,wish ,hope it continues just like that .

Hugs and plenty love. Moli.

Thanks Moli.
    Any word yet on

Thanks Moli.

Any word yet on your surgery date?