The Radiation Room

Options

Comments

• butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

Hey guys..
    Wow I am only two days away from graduation. I must tell you though I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to continue my last three treatments. My foob (fake boob)is a neon red with open blisters just under the breast mound. My external skin is starting to peel all over and it really looks kinda yucky. I did see my Plastic Surgeon today and he said "Yup they are sure doing a number on you down there aren't they?". He wasn't terribly concerned and said I would probably do fine to finish out my boosts. I did get a little time with my RO nurse and she gave me some antibiotic salve and dressings to apply in my non booster areas which is where most of the problem spots are.

I should be open with you girls and tell you that I am probably a rare case for this type of severity. I had tissue sparing surgery when I had my mastectomy in February and it seems where ever there is a "skin fold" on my breast is where the most problems lie. Amazingly it really doesn't hurt as long as I keep it all lubed up. It's when the skin dries and becomes taunt that I can feel the oowie... not to mention cracked skin.

So here I sit at my keyboard, aquaphor slathered all over wearing no bra and two shirts. I wear a tank top over my goopy chest to protect my outside garment.Truly a sight I must tell you.. LOL. Oh well nobody can really see what lies underneath... haahahahahha....

Two more days... I have "Thank You" cakes to pick up before my treatment on Friday. One for here at work and the other for my cancer center. Those girls do try and make your journey an easy one. I'm gonna miss them.

Sinee (Cindy) and Renee, you girls hang in there... *\0/*

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Hey Mammolady Cindy - Graduation Day today isn't it?

Hi Maurie,
    I spotted your comment way up in the beginning of this thread. You are asking what salve we used Pre-radiation treatment? I didn't use any, but as soon as I had my first treatment I used an aloe gel that my treatment facility gave me. I was soon prescribed biafine cream and am currenly finding I like the aquaphor gel the best. As my skin gets all shoe leathery this gel is like applying lard or Vaseline on the skin. Yup it's that thick and greasy... LOL

I guess if you wanted to you could do the aquaphor while your still in chemo, but I am not so sure there is a need for that.

Maybe the other girls can weigh in with different opinions, Good luck with the rest of your chemo..

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Hey guys..
    Wow I am only two days away from graduation. I must tell you though I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to continue my last three treatments. My foob (fake boob)is a neon red with open blisters just under the breast mound. My external skin is starting to peel all over and it really looks kinda yucky. I did see my Plastic Surgeon today and he said "Yup they are sure doing a number on you down there aren't they?". He wasn't terribly concerned and said I would probably do fine to finish out my boosts. I did get a little time with my RO nurse and she gave me some antibiotic salve and dressings to apply in my non booster areas which is where most of the problem spots are.

I should be open with you girls and tell you that I am probably a rare case for this type of severity. I had tissue sparing surgery when I had my mastectomy in February and it seems where ever there is a "skin fold" on my breast is where the most problems lie. Amazingly it really doesn't hurt as long as I keep it all lubed up. It's when the skin dries and becomes taunt that I can feel the oowie... not to mention cracked skin.

So here I sit at my keyboard, aquaphor slathered all over wearing no bra and two shirts. I wear a tank top over my goopy chest to protect my outside garment.Truly a sight I must tell you.. LOL. Oh well nobody can really see what lies underneath... haahahahahha....

Two more days... I have "Thank You" cakes to pick up before my treatment on Friday. One for here at work and the other for my cancer center. Those girls do try and make your journey an easy one. I'm gonna miss them.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Graduation Day
    Last day today! I will miss the techs but I am sooooo happy to be done. Saw the PT today, my arm is back to normal size! This past week was only boosts so I think the lymph nodes are calming down now. My arm pit area is still raw but manageable. It is really weird to think that I am almost done.

Cindy
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options
    sinee said:

Thanks Lorrie
    Now I am well into week 4 and have 2 weeks to go. Do you know if any one that had a lumpectomy first is experiencing a hardening of their breast? mine seems to be getting firm around the nipple area, I will of course ask the Ro when I see her this week, but just curious if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. All and all I am doing pretty good. Red and a bit uncomfortable, but the cream seems to be keeping it at bay. A tiny bit of blistering or dermatitis really, not bad, not painful. Thanks for starting this room, it has been a tremendous help. and Congratulations to all the grads!!! gives me hope! Sinee/Cindy

Hi
    Glad you are into your

Hi
    Glad you are into your 4th week! It sure seems to have flown by! Since mondays a Holiday It will be a short week next week! I hope the rest of your time goes well! "Time" Sounds like were all doing "Time" LOL!
    Renee
  • renee616
    Options

Hey guys..

Hugs,
    Lorrie

So happy you are almost there!!!
    Hi Lorrie
    So glad this part of your journeys almost over! I think I might just party the whole month of August!!!! I'm sorry your having the issues with blistering etc....It too will pass! I had a skin conserving mastectomy as well. Off the subject but still on the subject of "Foobs" are yours sensitive or numb? On my upper breast, I can feel it when I scratch etc, but the rest feels less sensitive, I read where the feeling doesn't always come back.
    Renee
  • renee616
    Options
    mamolady said:

Graduation Day
    Last day today! I will miss the techs but I am sooooo happy to be done. Saw the PT today, my arm is back to normal size! This past week was only boosts so I think the lymph nodes are calming down now. My arm pit area is still raw but manageable. It is really weird to think that I am almost done.

Cindy

ALL DONE!!
    Well...I'm guessing by now that you are officially done! Congratulations!!!!!
    I know its hard to imagine and I hope I will be able to be happy & JUST move on as well.....but...wow! Our heads are still reeling from the long ride! Have a great 4th of July weekend with wonderful thoughts of Life without the real "Radiation room!"
    I'm so happy for all you Grads!
    Renee
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    Go ladies, go ladies .......
    Congrats to the rad grads! I have been flying under the radar this week. My RO let me start boosts on Monday (shocked me and the techs)but will look at me today to decide if I can have my last 2 today and Fri or if it will be next week. Overnight 3 little blisters have come up in the boost area, so I have no idea which way this will go.

Hang in there all you "radical ladies", keep up the good work,

Jennifer
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Go ladies, go ladies .......
    Congrats to the rad grads! I have been flying under the radar this week. My RO let me start boosts on Monday (shocked me and the techs)but will look at me today to decide if I can have my last 2 today and Fri or if it will be next week. Overnight 3 little blisters have come up in the boost area, so I have no idea which way this will go.

Hang in there all you "radical ladies", keep up the good work,

Jennifer

Checking up on my rad
    Checking up on my rad buddies. Jen, I am curious if you are starting your final week again? Renee and Sinee (cindy) did you gals have a good holiday weekend? Lots of time to give the girls a rest... I know it's sure helped me.

I finished my radiation Friday... yes.. yes... yes... I am burnt so bad it isn't funny. But these past four days I have seen noticeable difference. I keep using my creams, and there are a couple tender areas that bleed occasionally. I got them bandaged up pretty good, surprisingly not much discomfort though. Doc prescribed me some Silver Sulfadiazine cream, let me tell you that stuff is wonderful. It seems to be taking my "beat red" color and toning it down to a deep pink. Only trouble is my boob is silver color when the goop dries. LOL..

I wanted to check in on you girls and let you know I haven't forgotten you gals. Good luck on your short week...

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • grams2jc
    Options

Checking up on my rad
    Checking up on my rad buddies. Jen, I am curious if you are starting your final week again? Renee and Sinee (cindy) did you gals have a good holiday weekend? Lots of time to give the girls a rest... I know it's sure helped me.

I finished my radiation Friday... yes.. yes... yes... I am burnt so bad it isn't funny. But these past four days I have seen noticeable difference. I keep using my creams, and there are a couple tender areas that bleed occasionally. I got them bandaged up pretty good, surprisingly not much discomfort though. Doc prescribed me some Silver Sulfadiazine cream, let me tell you that stuff is wonderful. It seems to be taking my "beat red" color and toning it down to a deep pink. Only trouble is my boob is silver color when the goop dries. LOL..

I wanted to check in on you girls and let you know I haven't forgotten you gals. Good luck on your short week...

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Starting later this week
    Was originally supposed to go today, but with the substitute doc who wouldn't know how much better I look and the blisters that have barely flattened I called and opted out. Doc isn't in on Wed so I will go Thursday and the end of this week will be the end of my Rads. Just couldn't face driving the 2 hour round trip to be turned away the 3rd time.

Just my stubborn self showing and trying to take a little control back over my situation.

Jennifer
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options

Checking up on my rad

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Don't know why it posted
    Don't know why it posted twice!
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options

Checking up on my rad

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Peeling
    I am almost 3 weeks out from radiation and parts of me are just now peeling. Kind of creepy watching your nipple peel, but oh, well...the boosters caused the blisters and now peeling right along my lumpectomy scar. It itches a bit, but no pain. Guess it'll be done done soon. Hope so...I have an appoinment with my oh-so-cute MO next Tuesday. Can't be peeling then! LOL

Bonnie
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Checking up on my rad

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Hi Lorrie
    Well this Rad Buddy has 22 down and 11 to go...so woohoo for me....doing better than I have been....not as tired, still a bit of a bright pink boobie, but not so bad...the Miaderm is a Godsend...love that cream....I even have taken a dip or two in my pool, and showered off right away, as suggested by my tech and all was fine. Back in the swing of things with the Art happenings and enjoying life..take care everyone
    I am always thinking of you all...Cindy
  • renee616
    Options
    sinee said:

Hi Lorrie
    Well this Rad Buddy has 22 down and 11 to go...so woohoo for me....doing better than I have been....not as tired, still a bit of a bright pink boobie, but not so bad...the Miaderm is a Godsend...love that cream....I even have taken a dip or two in my pool, and showered off right away, as suggested by my tech and all was fine. Back in the swing of things with the Art happenings and enjoying life..take care everyone
    I am always thinking of you all...Cindy

Hi Cindy
    I told my tech that

Hi Cindy
    I told my tech that I was going in my pool and she just marked my tatoos better. Why cant you get in for very long?
    Renee
  • renee616
    Options
    renee616 said:

Hi Cindy
    I told my tech that

Hi Cindy
    I told my tech that I was going in my pool and she just marked my tatoos better. Why cant you get in for very long?
    Renee

Hi!
    Starting on my fourth week Monday! It is flying by as most of you said! I hope that time slows down when I'm all done! kind of red/itchy in upper chest/neck area but Dr still doesn't want me to use cream yet.
    Happy to be rad free for the weekend!
    Have a great weekend girls!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Renee
  • grams2jc
    Options
    renee616 said:

Hi!
    Starting on my fourth week Monday! It is flying by as most of you said! I hope that time slows down when I'm all done! kind of red/itchy in upper chest/neck area but Dr still doesn't want me to use cream yet.
    Happy to be rad free for the weekend!
    Have a great weekend girls!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Renee

Got my certificate today
    Glad you are doing so well Renee, hope it continues til the end. They told me pools and hot-tubs were a no no bacuase the chlorine is drying to your skin and they didn't want anything to dry me out.

Every doc is different.

Hang in there,

Jennifer
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Thank you everyone.. Three
    Thank you everyone.. Three down thirty to go. Oyyyyy....

Since I had a mastectomy my treatments are geared to zap my lymph nodes and skin. Let me tell you it's a funky feeling when they put that "fake skin" layer on your boob. Nice and cold and try not to jump. Yea... right. My first week down... and um... 5 more to go. I'm off to put the big "X" on the calendar. Have a good weekend ladies...

Lorrie

Lorrie, this is such a
    Lorrie, this is such a wonderful post. Just by reading thru some of what the pink sisters have written, it is so nice that you can all share what you are going thru. I wish all of you the best of luck and can't wait to say " Congrats Rad Grad" to all of you!
  • sinee
    Options
    renee616 said:

Hi Cindy
    I told my tech that

Hi Cindy
    Renee

pools
    Hi Renee, I was just told to be sure and rinse off with a shower to get all the chlorine off, and to reapply my Miaderm...I do go in after 4pm though so the sun is not directly in the pool and I hang out in the shaded area. So far so good, I have 10 days to go, havent started the boosters yet. And I agree the time is going quickly. All is well though, red, but not blistering or itchy. A bit achy but doable with tylenol. Take care Renee, Sinee
  • grams2jc
    Options
    Go radical ladies
    Not joining you for treatment any more, but thinking about all of you still fighting.

Hang in there!!!!

Jennifer
  • renee616
    Options
    sinee said:

pools
    Hi Renee, I was just told to be sure and rinse off with a shower to get all the chlorine off, and to reapply my Miaderm...I do go in after 4pm though so the sun is not directly in the pool and I hang out in the shaded area. So far so good, I have 10 days to go, havent started the boosters yet. And I agree the time is going quickly. All is well though, red, but not blistering or itchy. A bit achy but doable with tylenol. Take care Renee, Sinee

Thanks Sinee.....
    I am red, kind of broke out and quite itchy in my upper breast/collarbone/ neck area... But this area only gets 24 treatments....So it will be healing a few days while the other areas keep getting targeted. trying to not itch! but this too shall pass! Yea Sinee! 10 days is awesome! I have 15 days! I'm glad its almost over! THere is so much I'm planning on doing in August to make up for not being able to with all these appts!
    Hugs & prayers that time passes quickly for everyone getting through chemo or rads!
    Renee
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Go radical ladies
    Not joining you for treatment any more, but thinking about all of you still fighting.

Hang in there!!!!

Jennifer

Looks like in a couple of
    Looks like in a couple of weeks we will have more members in the graduating class. You rah rah... Go Cindy and Renee. Here's hoping your girls sail through the next two weeks blister and rash free. I'm starting to get excited for you girls.

Have a good rad week,
    Lorrie
  • sinee
    Options
    A quick hello
    Hello, 2 more days of reg. rads, and then 5 days of boosts and I graduate!! woohoo, a bit of skin opened up on me under my breast
    but the cream given "Bliss" is just that~so I can handle it...going well, looking forward to being done, and then what? Back to my life? or the new one I plan on creating~for sure~taking my love of photography to the next level and partnering with a friend who has a lot more experience than I, and working in her studio....then who knows, perhaps it is time again to have my own. Long, long time ago, in another lifetime, I had a business of my very own...to long of a story to explain, but much wiser now~love to you all, Cindy/Sinee