The Radiation Room

Options

Comments

• grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options

Thank you everyone.. Three
    Thank you everyone.. Three down thirty to go. Oyyyyy....

Since I had a mastectomy my treatments are geared to zap my lymph nodes and skin. Let me tell you it's a funky feeling when they put that "fake skin" layer on your boob. Nice and cold and try not to jump. Yea... right. My first week down... and um... 5 more to go. I'm off to put the big "X" on the calendar. Have a good weekend ladies...

Lorrie

Hey Lorrie ...no fair
    Hey Lorrie, this is just not fair.. LOL!!!, I am on my 5th treatment today and still have 28 to go!!! Yesterday I tried being really nice and chatty and one rads tech told the other I was talking too much and she couldn't get everything lined up !! #1 Like I couldn't hear her as she stood 12 inches from me, and #2 like I would talk if I knew it was important to be quiet. Then when the treatment was over she told me how much she liked my shoes, OMG!!! Too Funny. Now I can't decide whether to go back to my grumpy ways of before or just be chatty while remembering the no talk zone.

Cancer is such a crazy trip,

Jennifer
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options

Thank you everyone.. Three
    Thank you everyone.. Three down thirty to go. Oyyyyy....

Since I had a mastectomy my treatments are geared to zap my lymph nodes and skin. Let me tell you it's a funky feeling when they put that "fake skin" layer on your boob. Nice and cold and try not to jump. Yea... right. My first week down... and um... 5 more to go. I'm off to put the big "X" on the calendar. Have a good weekend ladies...

Lorrie

3 regular ones to go and 8 boosters
    I've done 22 of 25 all over rads, radiating the breast and lymph node areas. I've been using the creams religiously and airing out as much as possible. My skin is very pink and is just starting to peel some...just in the fold under the boob area. I'm still wearing soft bras for work and probably will be able to all the way through. My rad onc told me the skin will start to heal as soon as the rads stop. So I don't think your skin continues to cook for 2 more weeks. (Not sure who on this thread said that.) What does happen is that radiation continues to work for @6 months after it stops. But the skin issues end when the radiation ends.

I'm finding that I'm very sleepy a few hours after the rad treatment. And I'm a little more tired in general. It's getting really, really hard to get myself to the gym...but I'm continuing to go because the rad onc said people who exercise experience less fatigue. As far as being moody, I'm noticing that a little but I think it's because I'm tired.

Can't wait until this is over. I've been going on my lunch hour, every day, 33 days. It will be really nice to have a lunch hour to do stuff for me again!!
  • Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Jennifer,
    You now how the very first thing you do is to state your name and birthdate? I got so annoyed - although I know all the reasons we do this, that everyday I had a new quip -like 'I'm sorry, haven't we met? I don't show my boobs to just anybody you know!' and stuff like that.
    Then I started a story, stating my name and birthdate followed by 'It was storming that night'. Then the next day day, I added to the story and on the day we finished they knew the story of my birth (according to my mother)! Anyway, it helped pass the time and bring some levity to those very intense 5 minutes.

And, honestly, the days pass quickly. You'll be surprised.

Sue

LOL
    Jennifer...so funny. Everyday when I was asked my name and Bd...I'd just ask them the same thing. But after the first week...I guess we were well aquainted...and they stopped asking.
  • NJMom10
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Jennifer,
    You now how the very first thing you do is to state your name and birthdate? I got so annoyed - although I know all the reasons we do this, that everyday I had a new quip -like 'I'm sorry, haven't we met? I don't show my boobs to just anybody you know!' and stuff like that.
    Then I started a story, stating my name and birthdate followed by 'It was storming that night'. Then the next day day, I added to the story and on the day we finished they knew the story of my birth (according to my mother)! Anyway, it helped pass the time and bring some levity to those very intense 5 minutes.

And, honestly, the days pass quickly. You'll be surprised.

Sue

I have to identify my picture
    Every day I have to state my birthdate, identify my picture (a picture of me standing there in my wig and blue gown) and tell them if I'm in any pain. What's funny is there apparently are several pictures of my boob in the system too so when I first go in and they ask me to identfy my picture sometimes that boob picture comes up. And I'm thinking, um, well I don't know whose boob that is actually! Most of the time I'm not sure I want to claim that picture of me in the wig and gown either. It's not very attractive!
  • Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    Options

A friend of mine suggested I
    A friend of mine suggested I should wear my flip flops and something tropical. Walk in holding my water bottle with a little umbrella (I'd really rather it be a margarita). This way when you start seeing that burn, you will feel at least you earned it while lying there on that beach basking in the laser sunlight. We rad girls do have a great support group.

Thank you all,
    Lorrie

It just reminded me...
    During my treatments....I wore those big fluffy socks. I had about 10 pair and sometimes even wore them mis-matched. it was always the topic when i would climb on that bed. at the end of my treatments....I took everyone their own pair...including the male tech. he said he would give them to his girlfriend...but i'm betting he at least tried them on first. LOL
  • wndringmnd
    wndringmnd Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Rash
    Hello,
    I just finished week 1 of my radiation. We are required to see our doctor each friday for weight check and to address any problems. During my visit he checked under my breast area and said ...huh, no rash, that's surprising, well, it should come soon, and when it does we'll take care of it....so my question to you ladies is, have ALL of you gotten rashes? and when is the average week for it to start, is there something to do immediately to maake it less troublesome?
    Thanks ladies:
    Marilyn
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

Rash
    Hello,
    I just finished week 1 of my radiation. We are required to see our doctor each friday for weight check and to address any problems. During my visit he checked under my breast area and said ...huh, no rash, that's surprising, well, it should come soon, and when it does we'll take care of it....so my question to you ladies is, have ALL of you gotten rashes? and when is the average week for it to start, is there something to do immediately to maake it less troublesome?
    Thanks ladies:
    Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,
    Hmmm.. I know some of the other girls mentioned rashes but I am not one for advice. I too just completed my first week of rads (Hey we will finish together.. ) and my doctor hadn't mentioned this. I have a feeling if maybe your big breasted maybe that might be an issue with skin touching skin and that friction being there. I had a double mastectomy and I have my perky tissue expanders in. I don't have that crease under the girls to coagulate moisture or sweat.

I would say to just make sure it's kept dry under there and use your lotions or gels religiously. Good luck to you and lets keep in touch.

Hugs,

Lorrie
  • Survivor73
    Survivor73 Member Posts: 135
    Options

Rash
    Hello,
    Thanks ladies:
    Marilyn

Hi there...I am done #15 out of 21...I am definately red, like a sun burn, but no peeling and no rash to speak of...my RO said last week that he would likely give me a prescription cream this week but he didn't and I don't think I need it...

I have been making sure I use my cream. I have noticed some pain in the last couple of days. It's like someone is sticking a knife in where the scar is....(had a lumpectomy)

I was told to take advil for the pain...but I've only had to take one a couple of times.

The big thing I have noticed in the last week is my appetite has disappeared...I get up and eat breakfast (since I know I should) and then don't eat until dinner with my family (since I know I should). I am not hungry at all...and I have lost at least 5 lbs....which I'm totally happy about...

If this side effect will last for about 25 more pounds and not revert to the opposite once done I will be happy...lol.

I have also felt totally exhausted...today was a really good day...I felt great, the first time in a long time. Cleaned up my house a bit and actually didn't feel like I was going to cry while doing it....

Anyway, Hope all is well...I know we have all been told to use different types of creams - I was told to use "base glaxco"...what is everyone else using?

This cream has no additives and is really gentle. It also doesn't stain or cause any issue with my clothes...I've heard on this board that some of them stain...just wondering.

Take care all.
  • wndringmnd
    Options

Hi Marilyn,
    Hmmm.. I know some of the other girls mentioned rashes but I am not one for advice. I too just completed my first week of rads (Hey we will finish together.. ) and my doctor hadn't mentioned this. I have a feeling if maybe your big breasted maybe that might be an issue with skin touching skin and that friction being there. I had a double mastectomy and I have my perky tissue expanders in. I don't have that crease under the girls to coagulate moisture or sweat.

I would say to just make sure it's kept dry under there and use your lotions or gels religiously. Good luck to you and lets keep in touch.

Hugs,

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie
    Nope, not big breasted, in fact there is no breast there any more. so the question remains does everyone get a rash? I had a double mastectomy as well, but they only radiating the right area, the left breast was preventative. They took all the lymph nodes as well. I am empty inside - and out.
    -Marilyn
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Hi there...I am done #15 out of 21...I am definately red, like a sun burn, but no peeling and no rash to speak of...my RO said last week that he would likely give me a prescription cream this week but he didn't and I don't think I need it...

I have been making sure I use my cream. I have noticed some pain in the last couple of days. It's like someone is sticking a knife in where the scar is....(had a lumpectomy)

I was told to take advil for the pain...but I've only had to take one a couple of times.

The big thing I have noticed in the last week is my appetite has disappeared...I get up and eat breakfast (since I know I should) and then don't eat until dinner with my family (since I know I should). I am not hungry at all...and I have lost at least 5 lbs....which I'm totally happy about...

If this side effect will last for about 25 more pounds and not revert to the opposite once done I will be happy...lol.

I have also felt totally exhausted...today was a really good day...I felt great, the first time in a long time. Cleaned up my house a bit and actually didn't feel like I was going to cry while doing it....

Anyway, Hope all is well...I know we have all been told to use different types of creams - I was told to use "base glaxco"...what is everyone else using?

This cream has no additives and is really gentle. It also doesn't stain or cause any issue with my clothes...I've heard on this board that some of them stain...just wondering.

Take care all.

Jennifer,
    Just wanted to say how familiar your experience is to me....I did radiation in November and December of 2009, and also had the 3:30 appointment after work. So I, too, wasn't always in the cheeriest of moods by the time I got there, but also could just go home and crash afterwards.

And I also got reprimanded for talking too much...and told how inconvenient I was because I was having both breasts radiated...and, at Christmas, when I brought them cookies I baked, one of the techs stood in the waiting area where my girlfriend was waiting for me and talked about how his mother's cookies were better than mine! I mean -- I'm glad you appreciate your mama's cooking and all, but can't you wait until the Cancer Patient Who Baked You Cookies LEAVES before critiquing them!

I totally should have put laxative or something in those cookies....

:-) Traci
  • grams2jc
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Jennifer,
    Just wanted to say how familiar your experience is to me....I did radiation in November and December of 2009, and also had the 3:30 appointment after work. So I, too, wasn't always in the cheeriest of moods by the time I got there, but also could just go home and crash afterwards.

And I also got reprimanded for talking too much...and told how inconvenient I was because I was having both breasts radiated...and, at Christmas, when I brought them cookies I baked, one of the techs stood in the waiting area where my girlfriend was waiting for me and talked about how his mother's cookies were better than mine! I mean -- I'm glad you appreciate your mama's cooking and all, but can't you wait until the Cancer Patient Who Baked You Cookies LEAVES before critiquing them!

I totally should have put laxative or something in those cookies....

:-) Traci

A special batch
    Traci;

Glad to know I'm not the only "blabber mouth". I do think that you showed admirable restraint in not having a "special batch" of cookies delivered to mouthy tech sometime after your treatment was over so he wouldn't know who sent them. I guess there was too much risk he'd share with the good ones.

Thanks for sharing, it gave me a chuckle. I do think these techs are nice, we just have to get used to each other, and by the end of these next 28 trtmts I should have them all figured out.

Jennifer
  • grams2jc
    Options
    Rad room battle cry
    Ok rad room ladies, it's Sunday afternoon, we all get to get started on another week (or part of a week if we've already fought most of the battle), and it seems like we need a cheer, chant or battle cry to get us motivated to do it all again. I don't have a creative bone in my body and chemo brain hasn't changed that, so I am relying on all of you.

Any ideas out there? Maybe it should be more of a campfire song.

Anyway, week 2 here I come!

Jennifer
  • wndringmnd
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Rad room battle cry
    Ok rad room ladies, it's Sunday afternoon, we all get to get started on another week (or part of a week if we've already fought most of the battle), and it seems like we need a cheer, chant or battle cry to get us motivated to do it all again. I don't have a creative bone in my body and chemo brain hasn't changed that, so I am relying on all of you.

Jennifer

count me in
    Let's kick butt ladies! Week two here I come!
    Marilyn
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Rad room battle cry

Jennifer

"Radical Ladies" sing this
    "Radical Ladies" sing this song, Doo-Dah-Doo-Dah!
    Zapping those cancer cells all day long, all the Doo-Dah day!
    Going in for rads,
    No, it won't be bad!
    NED is waiting for his dance
    When you are Radical Grads!

You will make it ladies!!!!

As I always say: "We do what we have to do, so we can do what we want to do."
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Hi Lorrie
    Nope, not big breasted, in fact there is no breast there any more. so the question remains does everyone get a rash? I had a double mastectomy as well, but they only radiating the right area, the left breast was preventative. They took all the lymph nodes as well. I am empty inside - and out.
    -Marilyn

No Rash!
    I didn't get any rash at all. Did burn very bad after the last rad though (25 rads - no boosters). Got a little pink and a little tender (like a minor sunburn) after the last 3 but nothing like the morning of the day after the last rad and it just kept getting worse. I did tan very good in the entire areas that was radiated but the burns took that away.

Susan
  • grams2jc
    Options
    chenheart said:

"Radical Ladies" sing this
    "Radical Ladies" sing this song, Doo-Dah-Doo-Dah!
    Zapping those cancer cells all day long, all the Doo-Dah day!
    Going in for rads,
    No, it won't be bad!
    NED is waiting for his dance
    When you are Radical Grads!

You will make it ladies!!!!

As I always say: "We do what we have to do, so we can do what we want to do."

Perfect
    That's perfect Chen. Thanks!!!

Jennifer
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Perfect
    That's perfect Chen. Thanks!!!

Jennifer

That was fantastic Chen..
    That was fantastic Chen.. Week two here I come (bugle sound here please).

Lorrie
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Rads coming up
    Just starting my Rads soon, within the next week or so. Glad to of found this space and read the posts. I am feeling prepared now. LOL.
    Anyway I love the idea of telling the story of my birth. I have maintained a good sense of humor throughout all of this, chemo, surgery, and now I want to continue it with the Rads. too. You all helped by just posting. I know that I will be asked my name every time now. All the little bits of info help so much. Thanks for taking away some of the fear. Cindy
  • NJMom10
    Options
    sinee said:

Rads coming up
    Just starting my Rads soon, within the next week or so. Glad to of found this space and read the posts. I am feeling prepared now. LOL.
    Anyway I love the idea of telling the story of my birth. I have maintained a good sense of humor throughout all of this, chemo, surgery, and now I want to continue it with the Rads. too. You all helped by just posting. I know that I will be asked my name every time now. All the little bits of info help so much. Thanks for taking away some of the fear. Cindy

'Boost' effects
    Just checking in this 'rad' room..."totally rad"...sorry I digress. When you start boost rads does the skin all over still get burned or does just the area of the boost get burned. I'm getting rashy and itchy under the breast, but not anywhere else. I only have 2 more regular rads to go. So I'm hoping that the boost rad will only burn that part of the breast. Is this the case? Thanks.
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

'Boost' effects
    Just checking in this 'rad' room..."totally rad"...sorry I digress. When you start boost rads does the skin all over still get burned or does just the area of the boost get burned. I'm getting rashy and itchy under the breast, but not anywhere else. I only have 2 more regular rads to go. So I'm hoping that the boost rad will only burn that part of the breast. Is this the case? Thanks.

Well I'm off to work on my
    Well I'm off to work on my suntan, I've got my lotion along.

Regarding boosters, isn't that just targeted at the area where the tumor was?