The Radiation Room

Options

Comments

• Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    mamolady said:

Bob Marley
    Lorrie, you know I told the techs a little Bob Marley would help keep the whole tropical vacation thing going but they only switched to jazz.......
    I do wear my hawaiian scrub tops though.... Off I go for number 9.

Cindy

Can we listen to ipod while
    Can we listen to ipod while doing rads??
  • Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    BMS said:

Twilight Zone
    What an eerie story, Lorrie! Funny how things happen like that. In my family the number 11 is our number...births, deaths, anniversary, even when my Dad had bypass surgery on March 11th, his heart was officially stopped at 11:11am!!!

I have 10 rads left! 2 of them (today and tomorrow) are regular and then I get my 8 boosters. I finish on the same day my son graduates from elementary school! So we get to celebrate that night. Ony side effect is an itchy rash near the cleavage! Cortisone cream helps a lot.

I will let you know how the boosters go since I start those on Wednesday.

BTW...did the Susan G. Komen 5K on Saturday. It was quite empowering and emotional. If anyone is on Facebook, I posted pictures. Friend me...Bonnie Brownstein Schendell.

Bonnie

Sent request Bonnie. I
    Sent request Bonnie. I forgot to let you know I found you on this site....
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    Kylez said:

You don't feel anything with
    You don't feel anything with rads Renee. It all happens so fast that it takes longer to undress than the actual treatment. Good luck!

The one day during the week
    The one day during the week that takes you longer is when they do films. They take pictures with the laser to check your treatment fields to make sure everything is going along as planned. Renee as far as the laser chamber goes, it's nothing like an MRI machine where your whole body goes into a tunnel. The laser only circulates around your torso area and there is always open space all around you. I think you will do fine.

I on the other hand had treatment number 22 today and I asked the nurse about my burn under my boob area. She gave me a script for Biafine, even though I only have three more regular treatments the skin is getting quite thin in a couple of areas. Boosters start next week... the end is in sight... I am feeling some of the "tired" symptoms too, this morning I had to have a can of diet Mt. Dew. That did the trick...

Lorrie
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options

The one day during the week
    The one day during the week that takes you longer is when they do films. They take pictures with the laser to check your treatment fields to make sure everything is going along as planned. Renee as far as the laser chamber goes, it's nothing like an MRI machine where your whole body goes into a tunnel. The laser only circulates around your torso area and there is always open space all around you. I think you will do fine.

I on the other hand had treatment number 22 today and I asked the nurse about my burn under my boob area. She gave me a script for Biafine, even though I only have three more regular treatments the skin is getting quite thin in a couple of areas. Boosters start next week... the end is in sight... I am feeling some of the "tired" symptoms too, this morning I had to have a can of diet Mt. Dew. That did the trick...

Lorrie

"light at the end of the tunnel"
    Lorrie
    I am so happy for you!
    I am glad you see the light at the end of the tunnel! What a wonderful feeling that will be for all of us! I'm starting the rads Monday along with the films your talking about. I'm actually looking forwards to it, just to get it going!
    Thanks everyone for posting your experiences on here! It sure has helped so many!

Happy weekend everyone!
    Renee
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    TKMomma said:

Boosters
    Interesting reading ladies. I'm down to 11. 8 boosters start next week. Can anyone tell me if the boosters make you feel any different from the other treatments. I guess I'm really asking about the fatigue. Do you notice if it gets worse or pretty much equivalent. That is my biggest complaint - fatigue and no interest in doing much or socializing.

I can't wait for the party
    I can't wait for the party when all of you become rad grads! LOL

Wishing you continued good luck!

Lex
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    week 2
    Made it through week 2, little swelling, little redness~good cry today...all in all doing ok. Hope everyone else is doing well too. Posting this at 1 am and heading to bed. 2 days off, God bless the weekends~Cindy
  • Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Jacque101 said:

It just reminded me...
    During my treatments....I wore those big fluffy socks. I had about 10 pair and sometimes even wore them mis-matched. it was always the topic when i would climb on that bed. at the end of my treatments....I took everyone their own pair...including the male tech. he said he would give them to his girlfriend...but i'm betting he at least tried them on first. LOL

Socks
    Lol! I did the same thing! We ride horses and I have these crazy patterned and colored boot socks that come up to your knees. The techs couldn't wait to see what I was wearing every day. Sort of lightens the mood of the whole thing! Too funny!
    Deborah
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Can we listen to ipod while
    Can we listen to ipod while doing rads??

I-Pod
    They make me put my i-phone on the chair. I don't know why. It doesn't hurt to ask. Where I go if they don't have the music on I mention it to them. It is all oldies but at least it is distracting.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    Here we go again
    Ok girls, time to sing the song Chen thought up for us, get all our goopy lotion ready and hit it again this week. I am now down to where I can count it all on my fingers and can say 1 Friday left and will be able to count that way all week.

Yup, just 9 to go and the RO promised me he wouldn't change the number, as he says, "We're swinging for the back fence"

Go get 'em Radical Ladies!!

Jennifer
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Here we go again
    Ok girls, time to sing the song Chen thought up for us, get all our goopy lotion ready and hit it again this week. I am now down to where I can count it all on my fingers and can say 1 Friday left and will be able to count that way all week.

Yup, just 9 to go and the RO promised me he wouldn't change the number, as he says, "We're swinging for the back fence"

Go get 'em Radical Ladies!!

Jennifer

RAD Grad!
    Well, sisters...I finished on Friday! All 33 treatments done and I had minimal burning. It is kind of funny to have one tan boob and one as white as can be! I now have to wait until September for my follow-up visit with the RO and she will give me my order for the first mammogram. She said everything needs to heal before having it done.

It feels kind of strange not going every day now. I still go every 3 weeks for a Herceptin treatment at my MO's office and will continue that through September which is the one year anniversary of beginning chemo. Boy has this been a journey. Thanks for being there for me...and I will always continue to be there for all of you.
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    BMS said:

RAD Grad!
    Well, sisters...I finished on Friday! All 33 treatments done and I had minimal burning. It is kind of funny to have one tan boob and one as white as can be! I now have to wait until September for my follow-up visit with the RO and she will give me my order for the first mammogram. She said everything needs to heal before having it done.

It feels kind of strange not going every day now. I still go every 3 weeks for a Herceptin treatment at my MO's office and will continue that through September which is the one year anniversary of beginning chemo. Boy has this been a journey. Thanks for being there for me...and I will always continue to be there for all of you.

Graduation party...
    Congrats Bonnie you helped blaze the trail for me and made my journey much easier. Jennifer you and I will be graduating within the same week. You on Thursday me on Friday, I need to get through these next two days and my under boobie burn can start healing. My boosters will be directed at the top portion of the boob and there isn't much burning going on up there at the moment.

Cindy you are doing awesome, wow.. just think 10 days behind you already. It does go fast and the time spent with those rad techs makes it bearable. I think I am actually going to miss them.Renee you are just beginning rad school but can be rest assured we will be checking in on you to see how your doing. I am proud to share the class of 2011 with all you girls.

Happy Rad Day...

Lorrie

Class of 2011

Cindy (mamolady)
    Tkmomma
    Marlene
    Char
    NJmom
    Diane
    Marilyn
    Bonnie
    Jennifer
    Lorrie
    Cindy
    Renee
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    BMS said:

RAD Grad!

Yay! Congrats!
    Congrats on being a Rad Grad. And hang in there, September will be here before we know it!

One more box checked off as done, Congratulations,

Jennifer
  • renee616
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Yay! Congrats!
    Congrats on being a Rad Grad. And hang in there, September will be here before we know it!

One more box checked off as done, Congratulations,

Jennifer

CONGRATS BONNIE!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations Bonnie! I cant wait to be where you & the other Grads are! Better than graduating school! Hoping you get back to normal! Let us know how normal feels!
    Hugs, Renee
  • renee616
    Options
    renee616 said:

CONGRATS BONNIE!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations Bonnie! I cant wait to be where you & the other Grads are! Better than graduating school! Hoping you get back to normal! Let us know how normal feels!
    Hugs, Renee

I was technically supposed
    I was technically supposed to start Rads today but instead they just did the first set of films & set the markers again. They remembered that tomorrow will be my 2 weeks out from last chemo & they need to wait for that. Any ways I told them last week that I would do a clinical trial for an herb that is supposed to help with your skin during radiation, and they had me talk to the woman in charge of it today. I spent about an hour signing papers, answering questions etc, I was told I would get blood drawn for it....ok...Didn't really want additional procedures....but ok....then they would take a pic every 5th day...Again not thrilled on top of all the stuff already...Got to the end & We could have saved each other alot of time...When she said She would see me in a week! I said..No I start rads tomorrow, She said oh, thats the Drs policy to be 2 weeks out from chemo...for the clinical trials we wait untill your 3 wks out. Well I dont know about any of you...but waiting another week is not on my schedule! I'm sorry! I planned on the date I would be done, by the end of July & she said well...it would just put you at August 10th...Sorry! NO! That week difference matters to me! She said She understood, but I'm sure She was disapointed. At least I was in the rad room today for films, not what I expected, small room, some finished puzzles on the ceiling from the waiting room. At least it took the fear out of "The room" :)
  • mamolady
    Options
    renee616 said:

I was technically supposed
    I was technically supposed to start Rads today but instead they just did the first set of films & set the markers again. They remembered that tomorrow will be my 2 weeks out from last chemo & they need to wait for that. Any ways I told them last week that I would do a clinical trial for an herb that is supposed to help with your skin during radiation, and they had me talk to the woman in charge of it today. I spent about an hour signing papers, answering questions etc, I was told I would get blood drawn for it....ok...Didn't really want additional procedures....but ok....then they would take a pic every 5th day...Again not thrilled on top of all the stuff already...Got to the end & We could have saved each other alot of time...When she said She would see me in a week! I said..No I start rads tomorrow, She said oh, thats the Drs policy to be 2 weeks out from chemo...for the clinical trials we wait untill your 3 wks out. Well I dont know about any of you...but waiting another week is not on my schedule! I'm sorry! I planned on the date I would be done, by the end of July & she said well...it would just put you at August 10th...Sorry! NO! That week difference matters to me! She said She understood, but I'm sure She was disapointed. At least I was in the rad room today for films, not what I expected, small room, some finished puzzles on the ceiling from the waiting room. At least it took the fear out of "The room" :)

7 left
    The MA at the cancer treatment center is also counting down for me! 2 more regular and 5 boost along the incision. So far not too bad. Arm pit is the worst part, blistered a bit.

My RO said it will burn a little more for 2 weeks after. Any one else have that experience?

Renee, let us know how the trial goes. What is the herb?

Anyway, it is nice to be in the home stretch. Glad to graduate with all you ladies!

Cindy
  • mamolady
    Options
    lymph edema
    Any body have mild lymph edema or just swelling of the upper arm during or just after radiation? I am having 2 areas of lymph nodes radiated. The arm pit and the bone area. I am hoping it will resolve after the burn goes away?

Cindy
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    mamolady said:

lymph edema
    Any body have mild lymph edema or just swelling of the upper arm during or just after radiation? I am having 2 areas of lymph nodes radiated. The arm pit and the bone area. I am hoping it will resolve after the burn goes away?

Cindy

Nope not me Cindy, my severe
    Nope not me Cindy, my severe burning is mostly below the breast along the incision line. I feel like a burnt lobster.. Small blisters and peeling, last regular treatment is today and 8 boosters start tomorrow. I think before todays appointment I will have the nurse look at my owwie to verify every thing is normal. I can tolerate the discomfort but I don't want my incision popping open. Thank goodness boosts are going to be directed at the top part of my boob and the lower cavity will be left alone to heal. Wow, I didn't expect to get this red though because I tan real easy. Maybe it's because I have tissue expanders and no natural breast material to absorb the treatment, just skin and nodes.

Lorrie
  • mamolady
    Options

Nope not me Cindy, my severe
    Nope not me Cindy, my severe burning is mostly below the breast along the incision line. I feel like a burnt lobster.. Small blisters and peeling, last regular treatment is today and 8 boosters start tomorrow. I think before todays appointment I will have the nurse look at my owwie to verify every thing is normal. I can tolerate the discomfort but I don't want my incision popping open. Thank goodness boosts are going to be directed at the top part of my boob and the lower cavity will be left alone to heal. Wow, I didn't expect to get this red though because I tan real easy. Maybe it's because I have tissue expanders and no natural breast material to absorb the treatment, just skin and nodes.

Lorrie

fair skin or not fair skin
    I was told, burning has nothing to do with how your skin normally reacts to the sun! I am relatively fair and I just have a little blistering in the armpit. I wish I didn't have to wear a shirt! The sleeve seam is the worst part so I have been wearing my scrubs. This heat is not helping......
    I will finish on next wed the 29th, is your last day thursday or friday? We should plan a toast!

Cindy
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options
    mamolady said:

fair skin or not fair skin
    I was told, burning has nothing to do with how your skin normally reacts to the sun! I am relatively fair and I just have a little blistering in the armpit. I wish I didn't have to wear a shirt! The sleeve seam is the worst part so I have been wearing my scrubs. This heat is not helping......
    I will finish on next wed the 29th, is your last day thursday or friday? We should plan a toast!

Cindy

Blisters
    The only small area that I had tiny blisters was near the cleavage. That went away really fast with cortisone cream. I have a pinkish circle surrounding my lumpectomy incision from the boosters, but nothing more than that. Now my next goal is to get my port out in October after I finish the Herceptin. My surgeon is out of his mond when he says that he will remove the port in his office by numbing the area with Lydocaine first. Anyone else have the port removed in the office?
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    BMS said:

Blisters
    The only small area that I had tiny blisters was near the cleavage. That went away really fast with cortisone cream. I have a pinkish circle surrounding my lumpectomy incision from the boosters, but nothing more than that. Now my next goal is to get my port out in October after I finish the Herceptin. My surgeon is out of his mond when he says that he will remove the port in his office by numbing the area with Lydocaine first. Anyone else have the port removed in the office?

Graduation next week
    Cindy you graduate on Wednesday, Jennifer graduates on Thursday and I graduate on Friday. How funny is that?? Oh yeah... big toast/party... On a side note, I stand corrected on my booster treatments. I get my booster markings tomorrow but will resume regular treatments through this week. Boosters all next week... darn more burning under there. Does Aquaphor help at night? I'm looking for other alternatives besides my current arsenal of aloe gel, biafine cream and cornstarch for the skin on skin areas.

Feeling like a lobster,
    Lorrie