The Radiation Room

Options

Comments

• sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BMS said:

#19 today!
    Today will be rad #19 for me. And, Lorrie, I am so looking forward to the 3 day rad-free weekend! I even asked my RO about having a drink (those martinis or margaritas will be around this weekend) and she said of Course! Yay!

A fruity drink and ditching the wig this weekend! Happy Memorial Day!

Bonnie

I have not worn a wig, lots of hats though~now that my hair has started growing back in I almost never wear a hat, besides it is just to hot~hope you had that drink and it tasted as good as you imagined it!!! Enjoy, Sinee
  • wndringmnd
    wndringmnd Member Posts: 44
    Options
    boost quesion
    I just finished week 3 of my radiation and had my weekly visit to my doctor. he told me I was going to have 22 sessions of "regular" rads and 8 sessions of booster sessions. My question is this...what exactly is the differance between regular radiation treatments?
    thank you? Marilyn
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

boost quesion
    I just finished week 3 of my radiation and had my weekly visit to my doctor. he told me I was going to have 22 sessions of "regular" rads and 8 sessions of booster sessions. My question is this...what exactly is the differance between regular radiation treatments?
    thank you? Marilyn

Hello Rads ladies,
    Sinee good luck with your first round of rads... I'll be thinking about you.

Marilyn, regular rads is treating your entire breast area. I have three fields that they zap each day. When it comes time for my booster round they will treat the area of the breast that the tumor was removed, the other sections should get minimal if no treatment during this final week.

Eerie story I have to share with you girls. Every day that I go for treatment I choose locker #13 to store my purse and clothes. The number 3 has always been my favorite number since I was a little girl, but in my center there is no number 3 and the only locker with a 3 in it was 13. Well the rebel that I am, I didn't let this unlucky number scare me. Now with that said there have been two times that locker wasn't available for me. The first was on Friday the 13th (May) and the second was this past Friday. Friday was my 13th treatment.... (somebody cue the twilight zone music please). Now if I go in on June 13th and it's not available I am really going to freak out...

Happy tanning this coming week my rad buddies...
    Lorrie
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options

Hello Rads ladies,

Marilyn, regular rads is treating your entire breast area. I have three fields that they zap each day. When it comes time for my booster round they will treat the area of the breast that the tumor was removed, the other sections should get minimal if no treatment during this final week.

Eerie story I have to share with you girls. Every day that I go for treatment I choose locker #13 to store my purse and clothes. The number 3 has always been my favorite number since I was a little girl, but in my center there is no number 3 and the only locker with a 3 in it was 13. Well the rebel that I am, I didn't let this unlucky number scare me. Now with that said there have been two times that locker wasn't available for me. The first was on Friday the 13th (May) and the second was this past Friday. Friday was my 13th treatment.... (somebody cue the twilight zone music please). Now if I go in on June 13th and it's not available I am really going to freak out...

Lorrie

Love it!
    Somtimes life is too funny. Maybe you should put an "out of order" sign on the locker to keep it for yourself, LOL!

Friday was #14, the official middle of regular rads...not counting the 5 boosts, so I am heading toward the downhill side. Will it go faster if I get some skis? Or maybe surf on the top of the magic pink bus?

Still don't like rads, still doing what I have to,

Jennifer
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Love it!
    Somtimes life is too funny. Maybe you should put an "out of order" sign on the locker to keep it for yourself, LOL!

Friday was #14, the official middle of regular rads...not counting the 5 boosts, so I am heading toward the downhill side. Will it go faster if I get some skis? Or maybe surf on the top of the magic pink bus?

Still don't like rads, still doing what I have to,

Jennifer

take the key home....
    Take the key home.... Tell them it was just an accident. It should get you through a couple of days.

12 rounds done, 18 total left, including the boosts. Just now starting to feel like sun burn. A little dry and itchy but not bad. Doc says I will probably blister because of the mastectomy but in less than 4 short weeks I will be done! I can't wait to get back to what I call normal!

Cindy
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options

Hello Rads ladies,

Lorrie

Twilight Zone
    What an eerie story, Lorrie! Funny how things happen like that. In my family the number 11 is our number...births, deaths, anniversary, even when my Dad had bypass surgery on March 11th, his heart was officially stopped at 11:11am!!!

I have 10 rads left! 2 of them (today and tomorrow) are regular and then I get my 8 boosters. I finish on the same day my son graduates from elementary school! So we get to celebrate that night. Ony side effect is an itchy rash near the cleavage! Cortisone cream helps a lot.

I will let you know how the boosters go since I start those on Wednesday.

BTW...did the Susan G. Komen 5K on Saturday. It was quite empowering and emotional. If anyone is on Facebook, I posted pictures. Friend me...Bonnie Brownstein Schendell.

Bonnie
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    BMS said:

Twilight Zone
    What an eerie story, Lorrie! Funny how things happen like that. In my family the number 11 is our number...births, deaths, anniversary, even when my Dad had bypass surgery on March 11th, his heart was officially stopped at 11:11am!!!

I have 10 rads left! 2 of them (today and tomorrow) are regular and then I get my 8 boosters. I finish on the same day my son graduates from elementary school! So we get to celebrate that night. Ony side effect is an itchy rash near the cleavage! Cortisone cream helps a lot.

I will let you know how the boosters go since I start those on Wednesday.

BTW...did the Susan G. Komen 5K on Saturday. It was quite empowering and emotional. If anyone is on Facebook, I posted pictures. Friend me...Bonnie Brownstein Schendell.

Bonnie

Bonnie you are awesome girl,
    Bonnie you are awesome girl, look for me I friended you on Facebook.

Hmmmm ... today I had to take locker #14 again, my streak is broken. After my treatment today I had to stay to visit the doctor. When he asked me if I had any questions I impressed him with my wisdom. Little did he know, in the mail this weekend I received a copy of the book by Dr. Susan Love titled "The Breast Book". Yikes talk about a bible of knowledge... over 700 pages and I'm about a quarter of the way through it.

Treatment 14 today.... Hey I chose locker #14 today. Oh stop it Lorrie... LOL

Can't wait to hear how you do on the boosters Bonnie..
    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • BMS
    Options

Bonnie you are awesome girl,
    Bonnie you are awesome girl, look for me I friended you on Facebook.

Hmmmm ... today I had to take locker #14 again, my streak is broken. After my treatment today I had to stay to visit the doctor. When he asked me if I had any questions I impressed him with my wisdom. Little did he know, in the mail this weekend I received a copy of the book by Dr. Susan Love titled "The Breast Book". Yikes talk about a bible of knowledge... over 700 pages and I'm about a quarter of the way through it.

Treatment 14 today.... Hey I chose locker #14 today. Oh stop it Lorrie... LOL

Can't wait to hear how you do on the boosters Bonnie..
    Hugs,
    Lorrie

Will let you know
    So today will be the last of the regular, all-over rads. I have to meet with my RO afterwards so they can set up my "coordinates" for the boosters, which start tomorrow. Can't believe I only have 9 more treatments!! Yay!

Bonnie

BTW...we only have 5 lockers in our RAD area!
  • grams2jc
    Options
    BMS said:

Will let you know
    So today will be the last of the regular, all-over rads. I have to meet with my RO afterwards so they can set up my "coordinates" for the boosters, which start tomorrow. Can't believe I only have 9 more treatments!! Yay!

Bonnie

BTW...we only have 5 lockers in our RAD area!

Congrats Bonnie!!
    Friday was my 1/2 through regular rads, tomorrow 1/2 way through treatment will be my overall 1/2. Can't wait!!!

So excited for you,

Jennifer
  • BMS
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Congrats Bonnie!!
    Friday was my 1/2 through regular rads, tomorrow 1/2 way through treatment will be my overall 1/2. Can't wait!!!

So excited for you,

Jennifer

Boosters
    Today I start my boosters! There will be 8 of them which will take me to next Friday - my last day! So, the RO wrote all over me with a sharpie to encircle the exact area of my lumpectomy where the boosters will be targeted. She said my skin looked great and the rash I have will heal while they are targeting the new area.

8 more days!!!

Bonnie
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    BMS said:

Boosters
    Today I start my boosters! There will be 8 of them which will take me to next Friday - my last day! So, the RO wrote all over me with a sharpie to encircle the exact area of my lumpectomy where the boosters will be targeted. She said my skin looked great and the rash I have will heal while they are targeting the new area.

8 more days!!!

Bonnie

Bonnie,
    Love your new picture... Good luck today with your booster. Jennifer you and I are on the same treatment schedule. My last rad appointment is July 1st, when is yours?

Today is treatment 16 for me and I am starting to see redness... I have to leave in a couple of minutes for my zap of the day. I'll catch up with you girls later today. Grease those boobies...

Lorrie
  • sinee
    Options

Hello Rads ladies,

Lorrie

thanks Lorrie
    Well I had a good cry for myself, not even sure where it came from but it was necessary, and day 2 was a bit easier and so was today. Just found out about the cream, got a tiny sample from the nurse today. So I will be picking it up tomorrow for sure. A tiny bit of redness under my arm, but that is about it. I am having rads on my breast, armpit, sternum and shoulder area, just found that out today too. I think I need to be asking more questions of this Dr. She talks so fast I can't keep up with her. I am sure she told me all of this but wow, to fast. Anyway, I know I need to be my own best advocate...take care all, you all have been a big help. Oh and Lorrie, our lockers have no numbers on them, so I am thinking that is a good thing. LOL. Take care and let us know about June 13th~Hugs Cindy
  • butterflylvr
    Options
    sinee said:

thanks Lorrie
    Well I had a good cry for myself, not even sure where it came from but it was necessary, and day 2 was a bit easier and so was today. Just found out about the cream, got a tiny sample from the nurse today. So I will be picking it up tomorrow for sure. A tiny bit of redness under my arm, but that is about it. I am having rads on my breast, armpit, sternum and shoulder area, just found that out today too. I think I need to be asking more questions of this Dr. She talks so fast I can't keep up with her. I am sure she told me all of this but wow, to fast. Anyway, I know I need to be my own best advocate...take care all, you all have been a big help. Oh and Lorrie, our lockers have no numbers on them, so I am thinking that is a good thing. LOL. Take care and let us know about June 13th~Hugs Cindy

Cindy,
    You are on your way my dear, it's really not that bad. But then again I just finished treatment #17 and can now say I am over half done. Woohoo...

Seems we only have 10 lockers in our treatment area and for some reason the first locker starts with the number 8. I should ask where the other 7 are...LOL, Hmmmm.... maybe today I will do just that. Bonnie told me yesterday (she's in the booster phase) that she is ready to break out the Aquaphor. I think I may need to buy some of this cream to be ready, I see I can get it at Walmart or Walgreens.. As for me within the first few treatments I started showing red (mostly under side of torso, just below armpit) but that's stayed pretty even. Never really got any darker. Now my entire left breast area is showing some pinkness. So far so good, I do use the aloe gel they supplied me 3 times a day though.

The weekend is coming ladies, after boobie zapping today we get a two day rest. My hubby will be gone this weekend I have the house to myself. I can't contain myself...oh what will I do? Looks like a "girlfriends" weekend. ; )

Hugs to all,
    Lorrie
  • BMS
    Options

Cindy,
    You are on your way my dear, it's really not that bad. But then again I just finished treatment #17 and can now say I am over half done. Woohoo...

Seems we only have 10 lockers in our treatment area and for some reason the first locker starts with the number 8. I should ask where the other 7 are...LOL, Hmmmm.... maybe today I will do just that. Bonnie told me yesterday (she's in the booster phase) that she is ready to break out the Aquaphor. I think I may need to buy some of this cream to be ready, I see I can get it at Walmart or Walgreens.. As for me within the first few treatments I started showing red (mostly under side of torso, just below armpit) but that's stayed pretty even. Never really got any darker. Now my entire left breast area is showing some pinkness. So far so good, I do use the aloe gel they supplied me 3 times a day though.

The weekend is coming ladies, after boobie zapping today we get a two day rest. My hubby will be gone this weekend I have the house to myself. I can't contain myself...oh what will I do? Looks like a "girlfriends" weekend. ; )

Hugs to all,
    Lorrie

Boosters
    The boosters are going fine so far. I still do have residual effects from the 25 all-over rads. Pink and itchy spots near the cleavage for me. Last night I noticed a couple tiny blisters, but the cortisone cream is helping that. Haven't used the Aquaphor yet!

Have a great weekend everyone! I am going to a baseball game with my husband and son tonight and a jazz concert with a friend tomorrow night! Yay! Feels good to be able to have my energy back to do all of this!

Bonnie
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    BMS said:

Boosters
    The boosters are going fine so far. I still do have residual effects from the 25 all-over rads. Pink and itchy spots near the cleavage for me. Last night I noticed a couple tiny blisters, but the cortisone cream is helping that. Haven't used the Aquaphor yet!

Have a great weekend everyone! I am going to a baseball game with my husband and son tonight and a jazz concert with a friend tomorrow night! Yay! Feels good to be able to have my energy back to do all of this!

Bonnie

Yes I always had to tell
    Yes I always had to tell them my name & birth date.
    During chemo every time they added a bag they would ask.
    So for a joke one day I made a index card with my name & date of birth.
    I put a couple holes at the top corners & put a string on it. Put it around my neck.
    All the clinic had a good laugh. After that I just hung it on the rack that holds the bags. lol when I was asleep they did not have to wake me up & ask the same old questions.
    The first time the head chemo nurse seen it she though it was great & started looking to see if
    all the ladies had one. She seem disappointed when they didn't.

I did crazy stuff like that all during chemo & rads. I thought the staff as well as us ladies needed to laugh our way though fighting that ugly beast.We did have some good times.
    Hugs
    Judy
  • grams2jc
    Options

Bonnie,
    Love your new picture... Good luck today with your booster. Jennifer you and I are on the same treatment schedule. My last rad appointment is July 1st, when is yours?

Today is treatment 16 for me and I am starting to see redness... I have to leave in a couple of minutes for my zap of the day. I'll catch up with you girls later today. Grease those boobies...

Lorrie

Lorrie, Sorry to be slow answering
    Was away from the computer for a couple of days, got spoiled by my sis at a hotel in KC 45 minutes closer to where I have rads. Was sure worth it to take a couple of days off work and only have the responsibility of getting to rads....didn't even have to make my own bed, LOL!

My last treatment is June 30th !!!!! Headed on the downhill to that date, officially 19 of 33 completed today, 58% done. My attitude is getting better the closer I get to the finish line.

Will be our new Independence Days,

Jennifer
  • sinee
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    I finished my 1st week of rads. Had a really good cry after the first one, and carried on from there. A bit achy, but I have a lot of different fields of radiation going on. A little redness, but no pain to speak of. Hope everyone is doing well. I ordered the cream today and wow is it expensive. Take care and thanks for being willing to post and share your experience's it is really helping. Cindy
  • sinee
    Options
    kya911 said:

Yes I always had to tell
    Yes I always had to tell them my name & birth date.
    During chemo every time they added a bag they would ask.
    So for a joke one day I made a index card with my name & date of birth.
    I put a couple holes at the top corners & put a string on it. Put it around my neck.
    All the clinic had a good laugh. After that I just hung it on the rack that holds the bags. lol when I was asleep they did not have to wake me up & ask the same old questions.
    The first time the head chemo nurse seen it she though it was great & started looking to see if
    all the ladies had one. She seem disappointed when they didn't.

I did crazy stuff like that all during chemo & rads. I thought the staff as well as us ladies needed to laugh our way though fighting that ugly beast.We did have some good times.
    Hugs
    Judy

crazy stuff
    Judy you sound like you would of fit right in with the crew we had. Lots of laughs too, and then all the drugs would kick in and the three of us would get all quiet at the same time. Special. The nurses were sorry to see the 3 of us graduate~lol~said they never had such a group. It made it easier on everyone, for sure.
  • sinee
    Options

Cindy,

Hugs to all,
    Lorrie

Lorrie,
    Thanks, all is well...and I am happy to have the weekend. Going to watch my daughter in laws dancing class...she is a dance teacher and has the recital this weekend....so adorable...mostly toddlers...3-6 age group. Take care and enjoy your weekend too. The boobie is happy to have the weekend off too! As for the cream, I liked the Aphor the least, I ordered something on line that the nurse gave me a sample of. It comes in 4 oz tubes, at 28.00 a tube. I ordered 12 tubes. If I don't need them all, then I will pass them on to others. Have a great one! Cindy
  • wndringmnd
    wndringmnd Member Posts: 44
    Options
    sinee said:

Lorrie,
    Thanks, all is well...and I am happy to have the weekend. Going to watch my daughter in laws dancing class...she is a dance teacher and has the recital this weekend....so adorable...mostly toddlers...3-6 age group. Take care and enjoy your weekend too. The boobie is happy to have the weekend off too! As for the cream, I liked the Aphor the least, I ordered something on line that the nurse gave me a sample of. It comes in 4 oz tubes, at 28.00 a tube. I ordered 12 tubes. If I don't need them all, then I will pass them on to others. Have a great one! Cindy

half way done
    My onc. doc. decided to extend my rads to 28 regular and 8 mega doses. I have finished 18 sessions so far with no redness, or burning. I know I am very lucky for this. My husband and I were able to have my very busy 3 year old up for the weekend and I could tell by my energy level that I could actually play with her this time, unlike last time when 2 months ago when I relied on my husband to do so much cause I was exhausted lifting my butt off the couch. I felt so guilty, but today went well and I expect tomorrow will go well also.
    Have a great Sunday everyone.
    Marilyn