How old were you when dx

Options

Comments

• mollymousemom
    mollymousemom Member Posts: 18
    Options
    How old were you when Dx
    I was 62...was told on 6/30/2009....had mamogram in March of 09...nothing showed up....had a few needle like pains in left breast @ work on 6/23/09....that night did my self breast exam & found large lump...was too high for mamo to pick up......called my gyn the next am & saw him that afternoon...did ultrasound & sd it really didn't look like cancer...referred me to surgeon who looked @ ultrasound & sd he didn't think was cancer...did core biopsy & came back cancer.....had mastectomy on 7/16/09 in one hospital & grandson born in other hospital on other side of town same day.....I was lucky...no lymph node involvement...finished chemo in November 09...
  • mollymousemom
    mollymousemom Member Posts: 18
    Options
    How old were you when Dx
    I was 62...was told on 6/30/2009....had mamogram in March of 09...nothing showed up....had a few needle like pains in left breast @ work on 6/23/09....that night did my self breast exam & found large lump...was too high for mamo to pick up......called my gyn the next am & saw him that afternoon...did ultrasound & sd it really didn't look like cancer...referred me to surgeon who looked @ ultrasound & sd he didn't think was cancer...did core biopsy & came back cancer.....had mastectomy on 7/16/09 in one hospital & grandson born in other hospital on other side of town same day.....I was lucky...no lymph node involvement...finished chemo in November 09...
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    weazer said:

Shocked at 49
    And My Mother was 47, I fould out 20 yrs later on the same date as my mother.
    Take care everyone...Karie

dx
    I was diagnosed right before my daughter's college graduation, May 2008. We didn't tell her until after the festivities.
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    Options

How old were you when Dx

61 when cancer showed
    61 when cancer showed up...my mother' s first BC was at age 40, my aunt's at age 58. My sister shows no signs of any cancer thank heavens. It was harder to tell her about my cancer than it was to tell my Hubby/love of 41 years. Probably because of our heartbreak when mama died.
    We ate so happy that Auntie has been cancer free these 13 years!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options

61 when cancer showed
    61 when cancer showed up...my mother' s first BC was at age 40, my aunt's at age 58. My sister shows no signs of any cancer thank heavens. It was harder to tell her about my cancer than it was to tell my Hubby/love of 41 years. Probably because of our heartbreak when mama died.
    We ate so happy that Auntie has been cancer free these 13 years!

I was 58.
    My Grandmother and her sister had breast cancer but after age 60. So at 58, I'm the youngest in my family to get the disease. Hugs to all.

Roseann
  • GenieM27
    GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Shocked at 48
    I was dx on November 19, 2009 I was 48.
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Age 39-always opt for the biopsy
    Went in for a baseline at my checkup because of costochondritis, saw some spots. I was told to either get a mammo every six months and keep an eye on the spots or to get a biopsy.

If I hadn't gotten the biopsy the DCIS would have shown up too late.

Turned out the spots were calcifications but because they routinely biopsy the ducts while they're in there, they found the cancer by accident. It didn't show on mammogram. I got really 'lucky'.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
    www.mymastectomyonline.com
  • starseed
    starseed Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I was
    dx'd on May 4th--ouch my sister's BD, I was 55.
    Had my lumpectomy on May 27, 5 days after I turned 56.
    In a way it was an okay BD present..I called the ob/gyn who
    begged, pleaded, groveled with me to go get an MRI after the
    initial mammogram to thank her for hammering on me to get
    the MRI. I'm a bit stubborn, but am grateful to her.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    starseed said:

I was
    dx'd on May 4th--ouch my sister's BD, I was 55.
    Had my lumpectomy on May 27, 5 days after I turned 56.
    In a way it was an okay BD present..I called the ob/gyn who
    begged, pleaded, groveled with me to go get an MRI after the
    initial mammogram to thank her for hammering on me to get
    the MRI. I'm a bit stubborn, but am grateful to her.

Beautiful pic!
    Near you?

Hugs, Kathi
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Beautiful pic!
    Near you?

Hugs, Kathi

66 yr old when diagnosed 7-09.
    Turned 67 in Nov and finished treatment in Dec 09. Had my hair colored for the first time in 10 months yesterday on the 1 year anniversary of discovering my lump! Yay! I got a completely new color from my old one to go with a new life!

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Hi

I had my 1st mammogram more than 13 years ago. It was the most horrible/painful test. It
    left me black and blue. From that day I said I would never have another one and would
    take my chances. So after we moved to Texas in May 2008 I had to get a Dr just because
    of other issues (diabetes). At that time I decided for the Dr to give me an examine. She said everything felt ok but go get a mammogram. Well you know what I did with that piece
    of paper when I got home - trash can!!! No way was I going and besides she didn't feel
    anything. This was July 2008. Well in March I felt a knot in my right breast, so I went to
    the dr and she said felt like a cyst but go get mammogram and I said YES MAM. So I went
    and discovered a 2cm mass. By the time I had both breast removed the tumor had grown to
    5cm in about 4 weeks. I have a very rare breast cancer that chemo and radiation has no
    effect and a subtype triple negative bc. I did take 6 treatments of chemo and as of Feb 1st
    I'm cancer free.

God bless you,

Arkansasgirl

Bump

Bump
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    PNinMN said:

Was on 4/12 of this year. My last chemo will be 3 days after my 25th birthday.

PNinMN
    Ur so young and Im sorry. Hope you have a wonderful birthday. My age of diagnosis's,48. Stage3c,HER+, 18/20 lymph nodes. What's ur cancer?
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    PNinMN said:

Was on 4/12 of this year. My last chemo will be 3 days after my 25th birthday.

PNinMN
    Ur so young and Im sorry. Hope you have a wonderful birthday. My age of diagnosis's,48. Stage3c,HER+, 18/20 lymph nodes. What's ur cancer?
  • UniqueMom
    UniqueMom Member Posts: 8
    Options

Age 39-always opt for the biopsy
    Went in for a baseline at my checkup because of costochondritis, saw some spots. I was told to either get a mammo every six months and keep an eye on the spots or to get a biopsy.

If I hadn't gotten the biopsy the DCIS would have shown up too late.

Turned out the spots were calcifications but because they routinely biopsy the ducts while they're in there, they found the cancer by accident. It didn't show on mammogram. I got really 'lucky'.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
    www.mymastectomyonline.com

I agree always opt for the biopsy! I was lucky to have a persistent surgeon. Core needle biopsy was benign. Then the open biopsy was malignant. DCIS invasive, I pray no lymph node involvement. Having a double mastectomy/tram flap surgery on the 16th.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    I was dx right before my
    I was dx right before my 49th birthday
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I read your followup post a little way into this....
    And look at it from another way....

These are all women that otherwise would not be here, had early detection programs not been around. And, we are now on generation 4 of chemo 'cocktails'. 5 years ago, when I went thru, Adriamycin was the 'new gold standard'. Now, thanks to clinical trials, there are drugs replacing it that are more targeted so there are less side reactions (read you don't lose your hair...lol).

I am proud to stand amoung this group of brave cancer warriors! I didn't wish to be a cancer survivor, but am sure grateful for medical science and a good treatment team that I am still here!!!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    KathiM said:

I read your followup post a little way into this....
    And look at it from another way....

These are all women that otherwise would not be here, had early detection programs not been around. And, we are now on generation 4 of chemo 'cocktails'. 5 years ago, when I went thru, Adriamycin was the 'new gold standard'. Now, thanks to clinical trials, there are drugs replacing it that are more targeted so there are less side reactions (read you don't lose your hair...lol).

I am proud to stand amoung this group of brave cancer warriors! I didn't wish to be a cancer survivor, but am sure grateful for medical science and a good treatment team that I am still here!!!!!!

Hugs, Kathi

One month after my 37 birthday, I got the call while standing in a tanning salon! I had a surgery to remove what I thought was a paplinoma causing a bloody discharge...nope

final result, BLM with DIEP 1.4 cen invasive tumor + several areas of DCIS, grade 1, stage 1, ES + PRO + Her2-, awaiting the results of oncotypedx test and appointment with onco. Have no idea if I will do chemo?
  • PNinMN
    PNinMN Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Katz77 said:

PNinMN

Stage 3b
    HER-, 5cm lump (hoping this shrinks with chemo), DCIS, 10-12 lymph nodes. This was definitely not what I was expecting at this stage of my life.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Wow, so many young people...Gosh I just wish they would hurry up and find a cure!!!!!!
    Praying they do.
  • kimmy101
    kimmy101 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    sea60 said:

Wow, so many young people...Gosh I just wish they would hurry up and find a cure!!!!!!
    Praying they do.

we are all too young
    mine was discovered right after thanksgiving 2009. My husband just lost his Mom. Did not know I would be grateful for having only breast cancer and not both breast and ovarian like my doctors thought back in December. My last week of chemo is the 3rd wk of July. and then I turn 45.
    The strength women have to go through this terrible ordeal is amazing. I know I was proud that my Mom has beat bc. Now having her help me through this is incredible.
    hats off to all of us for going through the motions and beating this!!