Chefdaddy New Up-date on Mike 5-30-10

Options

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options

debbiejeanne
    Glad you just have a few side effects, and are doing well with healing. I like to hear that. I told Mike I would call him tomorrow. I would call him more than I do, but I don't want to wear him out.

I went to the hospital today, for my check up with my RO. When he saw me he said, "WOW! Is it my imagination, am I dreaming, or do you look GOOD AGAIN??" I laughed and said, well I look better. Amazing what some hair dye and some highlights will do. All the nurses said they loved it as soon as they saw me. I layered up with as much clothing as I could get away with. Long jeans, 5" wedge silver heels, black and white sleeveless short dress, wide black belt, black cropped sweater, black flower pin, phone in pocket, and bright yellow bag. I was 101.5 when I stepped on the scale. hehe. I am 94 on my scale at home. I am bad, I know. He looked at my weight on the computer and was happy, it has been steadily going up since the last time I saw him. I am on the 3 month plan. He did his thing, and when he looked at my tongue and in my mouth, he said my tongue still looks awful, but is v e r y s l o w l y looking a little better. My mouth is so dry that the tongue depressor stuck to my tongue. :( He sent me for a routine chest xray. I am out of radiation a year tomorrow! I asked if he thought my tongue would ever be normal. He said he was still hoping, but probably not. I am going to try to step down to 25mcgs of Fentanyl. He said if I am in more pain than I am in now, then don't do it. He wants to make sure I can still eat and swallow. The last time I tried, my tongue hurt so bad, I could not drink again. And.....he said my speech sounded sooo much better. YAY! He said, "What did you do?" I told him I am trying like heck to retrain myself to sound like I used to. My tongue does not move like it used to. I am telling you, they fricasseed my poor tongue. I cannot even stick it out. I can't whistle any more, and I can't 'roll' my tongue, or even touch the sides of my teeth with it. It is really weird. So, he bumped me to 4months, unless I have a problem.

Well, I am going to try to eat some new things. I got some fresh udon noodles, and some miso soup to try. Or I may just be lazy and do my tiny tortilla wrap. I am beat from being out running around since noon.

Hope all is well with everyone.

sweet
    Sweet, it is so good to hear from you. I'm really gald that you are doing better and hopefully your tounge will be better soon. I would have thought all would be back to normal within a year, but I guess not. I hope you get function of your tounge back. C is so hard to deal with. YOu and everyone here is always in my prayers.
    Take care and I'll keep prayaing.
    God Bless,
    Deb
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Fire34 said:

I agree Glenna
    I also hope that if he is discharged that there is some sort of home health care he can use. Here in Northern IL we have numerous organizations that provide that service most are affiliated with the local hospitals. My home care was covered by my insurance.

Hondo
    Is there anyway to get Mikes home address without invading his privacy. Been wanting to send a card flowers etc but dont know where to send them. If they were sent to the hospital do you think it wold be forwarded, if it got there after he was discharged?

Best Wishes & Prayers
    Dave

Hi Dave

His children are in protected custody because of the ex wife boyfriend so I don’t think he will give out the address until after the court hearing. I know it does make him happy when I tell him that there are a lot of his friends on CSN praying for him.

Take care
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Dave

His children are in protected custody because of the ex wife boyfriend so I don’t think he will give out the address until after the court hearing. I know it does make him happy when I tell him that there are a lot of his friends on CSN praying for him.

Take care

He is in my prayers. He sure
    He is in my prayers. He sure has been through a rough time.
  • Hondo
    Options
    staceya said:

He is in my prayers. He sure
    He is in my prayers. He sure has been through a rough time.

Up-date 5-15-10
    Mike did sound a lot better today and he believes that they will let him go home Monday. When I called him he was in the Emergency room with his son who was running a 103 deg fever, this poor guy just does not get a break. I could not talk to him very long and hope to get an good up-date tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your prayers
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Hondo said:

Up-date 5-15-10
    Mike did sound a lot better today and he believes that they will let him go home Monday. When I called him he was in the Emergency room with his son who was running a 103 deg fever, this poor guy just does not get a break. I could not talk to him very long and hope to get an good up-date tomorrow.

update
    thanks for the update. I felt terrible last night because I did not get to call him. a friend i have not spoken to in like 22 years got in touch with me, and it was a cool suprise. could not very well blow him off. by the time i knew it, was midnight or later here. I was thinking that would be too late to call him. I know he isn't a night owl like me.
  • debbiejeanne
    Options
    Hondo said:

Up-date 5-15-10

Update 5-17-10
    Hi, all. I spoke with Mike today and things aren't looking good. He is still having problems with his intestins and the doctors told him that if they don't start working, he will not make it. He is very worried about what will happen to his children. I told Mike to hand in there and not give up because he has a lot of friends who are pulling for him and praying for them all EVERYDAY! I wish there were more we could do for him and his children. Hondo, you are right, he just cannot get a break. It is really sad. Mike also said that he had fallen a couple times because he is so weak. He said the hospital would be moving him to a home b/c he will need assistance with his meds. He didn't say when this will happen. I guess the hospital feels they've done all they can and thus the home (like a nursing home b/c of Mike's needing help with the meds). Please, please keep Mike and his family in your prayers. In fact, let's all pray extra prayers for them.
    God Bless,
    Debbie
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options

Update 5-17-10
    Hi, all. I spoke with Mike today and things aren't looking good. He is still having problems with his intestins and the doctors told him that if they don't start working, he will not make it. He is very worried about what will happen to his children. I told Mike to hand in there and not give up because he has a lot of friends who are pulling for him and praying for them all EVERYDAY! I wish there were more we could do for him and his children. Hondo, you are right, he just cannot get a break. It is really sad. Mike also said that he had fallen a couple times because he is so weak. He said the hospital would be moving him to a home b/c he will need assistance with his meds. He didn't say when this will happen. I guess the hospital feels they've done all they can and thus the home (like a nursing home b/c of Mike's needing help with the meds). Please, please keep Mike and his family in your prayers. In fact, let's all pray extra prayers for them.
    God Bless,
    Debbie

Thanks for the update
    Thanks for the update Debbie, wish it could have been better news. My heart breaks every time I think of what Mike and his children have been through. Please let him know that I say a special prayer for him and his children every night along with a prayer for all of us who have cancer.

Glenna
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450
    Options
    Glenna M said:

Thanks for the update
    Thanks for the update Debbie, wish it could have been better news. My heart breaks every time I think of what Mike and his children have been through. Please let him know that I say a special prayer for him and his children every night along with a prayer for all of us who have cancer.

Glenna

Oh, gosh
    I am so sorry to hear that. The poor guy has been through so much already, I can't even begin to imagine how he must feel.
    He'll be No. 1 in my prayers, for sure.

--Jim in Delaware
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    delnative said:

Oh, gosh
    I am so sorry to hear that. The poor guy has been through so much already, I can't even begin to imagine how he must feel.
    He'll be No. 1 in my prayers, for sure.

--Jim in Delaware

Faith Family & Friends
    The power of prayer is strong, he has mine....
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Faith Family & Friends
    The power of prayer is strong, he has mine....

Prayer
    Talked to him late last night again, and I wanted to post to let you guys know, but to tell you the truth I was having a bit of a problem processing this. I had to sit with it overnight. I did not sleep very well. We talked for sometime, I just wish I could do more than pray and call him.
  • Hondo
    Options
    Mike up-date 5-20-10
    I have been trying to deal with this the best I can but still find it so unbelievable, A few days ago Mike informed me that the reason he was going home was not because he was getting better but as Deb said worse. Some how when the doc was giving him the radiation they had radiated down too far into his esophagus killing it as well as the stomach and causing a back up of everything in his body, his bowels are moving but everything else is dead.

They have move Mike to a half way house until he passes. Mike is a very nice guy and does not deserve any of the problems he is going through, it is hard to believe with all his problems why this.

I believe all things are possible because I know the God I serve and ask each of you to please continue to put Mike on your daily prayer list.

Thanks everyone
    Hondo
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    thanks Hondo
    Prayers are with you and your family, hang tough, alot are pulling for you here, Thanks Hondo for the extra leg work to keep us updated. Dennis
  • dogsrule
    dogsrule Member Posts: 96
    Options
    dennis318 said:

thanks Hondo
    Prayers are with you and your family, hang tough, alot are pulling for you here, Thanks Hondo for the extra leg work to keep us updated. Dennis

I'm praying
    I am so sorry to hear about what is happening to Mike. I am praying for him and his family.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Hondo said:

Mike up-date 5-20-10
    I have been trying to deal with this the best I can but still find it so unbelievable, A few days ago Mike informed me that the reason he was going home was not because he was getting better but as Deb said worse. Some how when the doc was giving him the radiation they had radiated down too far into his esophagus killing it as well as the stomach and causing a back up of everything in his body, his bowels are moving but everything else is dead.

They have move Mike to a half way house until he passes. Mike is a very nice guy and does not deserve any of the problems he is going through, it is hard to believe with all his problems why this.

I believe all things are possible because I know the God I serve and ask each of you to please continue to put Mike on your daily prayer list.

Thanks everyone
    Hondo

Disbelief
    Mike and his children will continue to be in my prayers. I'm having a hard time accepting this right now so I am not going to write much - I would just be rambling - I can't believe this is happening to him. What will happen to his children, he has fought so hard to protect them and I know he will now have the added stress worrying about their future.

Thank you Hondo for keeping us updated.

Glenna
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options
    Hondo said:

Mike up-date 5-20-10

Thanks everyone
    Hondo

No Words .....
    ... Nothing can describe how sad this all is.

Thank you Hondo for being so supportive and caring, and please of course pass on all our thoughts to Mike when you next speak.

I can't believe this has happened.

So sorry.

Scam
  • debbiejeanne
    Options
    Hondo said:

Mike up-date 5-20-10

Thanks everyone
    Hondo

Mike
    Thank you, Hondo, I didn't know how to express what was happening with Mike. I will not give up as God is capable of anything and I will continue to pray for his recovery and for God to bless him and his family.
    Do you have a phone number for the new place? I'd like to stay in contact with him so he knows we truly care about him and his children. I wish we could visit him. When I spoke with him the other day he said he could really use a hug. I can only imagine.
    Everyone here will ALWAYS be in my prayers!!
    God Bless,
    Debbie
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Mike up-date 5-20-10

Thanks everyone
    Hondo

Thanks Tim
    Man poor Mike never seems to get a break...hard enough to fight the beast on your own, but this, well it's just unexcusable....

Mike and his children are in my prayers.....and prayers are powerful.

John
  • micktissue
    micktissue Member Posts: 430
    Options
    Hondo said:

Mike up-date 5-20-10

Thanks everyone
    Hondo

Thanks Hondo
    You are a real credit to this board, being the one to make that connection with Mike and keep us all up to date. You also provided him with some service as many here who called him would not have done so without your action. I'm sure Mike really appreciates that.

I feel for Mike and his kids deeply. All my best wishes are with them right now.

Mick
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    dogsrule said:

I'm praying
    I am so sorry to hear about what is happening to Mike. I am praying for him and his family.

Prayer's
    I will send extra prayer's for Mike also.
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450
    Options
    rozaroo said:

Prayer's
    I will send extra prayer's for Mike also.

Damn
    Cancer sucks.

--Jim in Delaware