Cheese Update

Options

Comments

• Lulu7582
    Lulu7582 Member Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update

Yes I too believe we have to make the best decisions we can and accept that some things don't go the way we want. The new normal of life!! Have fun planning some things for the Fall and enjoy each day!! As always you are in my thoughts and prayers. xo

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Darn it, Cheese.  I'm sorry

Darn it, Cheese.  I'm sorry but it sounds like you have made a plan.  This particular journey has been a very circuitious.

• Rosesforever
    Rosesforever Member Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2019 #144
    Options

Not good news for my little ureter

Well, I saw my urologist yesterday. It’s not good news. Apparently my surgery wasnot successful as we had hoped. Probably to repair it would require more surgery, maybe more extensive than the original. My response at this point is I will live with the nephrostomy for now. I’ll think about things until after the holidays. But right now I’m thinking no more surgery. My kidney is being protected by the nephrostomy and I can live with the bag. I’m not sure I’ll ever change my mind because who knows what may be in my future health wise. I’m no worse off than I was before surgery and I’m sure not going back to the painful stents although they give me more personal freedom. So that’s the story now. I look forward to having some fun this fall!

I feel like a newbie so please excuse dumb questions

selfishly I like to learn more about your kidney a kidneys. Do you have both kidneys or are 2 urters effected. I have one urter misbehaving. It’s mildly blocked perhaps do to radiation. I’m learning so much from you number one NO Stent. My urologist is saying as long as I have 1 healthy kidney I’m fine. You have been through so much. I know I’m missing something  and I’m sorry. I’m wishing you the very best. My heart is with you. ❤️❤️

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Well, I saw my urologist yesterday. It’s not good news. Apparently my surgery wasnot successful as we had hoped. Probably to repair it would require more surgery, maybe more extensive than the original. My response at this point is I will live with the nephrostomy for now. I’ll think about things until after the holidays. But right now I’m thinking no more surgery. My kidney is being protected by the nephrostomy and I can live with the bag. I’m not sure I’ll ever change my mind because who knows what may be in my future health wise. I’m no worse off than I was before surgery and I’m sure not going back to the painful stents although they give me more personal freedom. So that’s the story now. I look forward to having some fun this fall!

Good Call

I think you're making the right call, Cheese. Since the neprostomy bag is quite tolerable for you, it's good to let your body rest up after all it's been through. I, also, have become quite leery of surgery; it seems like as soon as you open things up, unforseen problems ensue. Perhaps you'll revisit the matter when you've had some time and healing behind you, meanwhile, enjoy the rest of your summer and work on getting your equilibrium back. May you have smooth sailing through the rest of the year! Best always, B

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear that Cheese but

Sorry to hear that Cheese but I agree with you with no more stents.  Even though you say you had more freedom you were probably in more pain and discomfort.   I was so happy to get rid of my stent.  

enjoy And have fun   thinking of you

Kathy

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Options

I feel like a newbie so please excuse dumb questions

selfishly I like to learn more about your kidney a kidneys. Do you have both kidneys or are 2 urters effected. I have one urter misbehaving. It’s mildly blocked perhaps do to radiation. I’m learning so much from you number one NO Stent. My urologist is saying as long as I have 1 healthy kidney I’m fine. You have been through so much. I know I’m missing something  and I’m sorry. I’m wishing you the very best. My heart is with you. ❤️❤️

I have 2 kidneys

Only the right ureter was blocked. After so much trouble with the stents I considered letting the kidney go. But then I developed diabetes ( probably due to Megace) and I can’t afford to lose a kidney now due to potential kidney complications from the diabetes. Many meds are metabolized by the kidneys so although you can live with one kidney, it’s best to have both functioning. Good luck. 

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you didn't get the

I'm sorry you didn't get the outcome you had hoped from the surgery but, for what it's worth, I think you're making the right decision. Have some fun this fall and see what happens is a good plan. (((Susan))) 

Love,

Eldri

• CheeseQueen57
    edited September 2019 #149
    Options
    Here’s to surviving to celebrate another birthday!

As Willie says, “ It’s been rough and rocky traveling but I’m finally standing upright on the ground. After taking several readings, I’m surprised to find my mind is still fairly sound...”

I had a wonderful weekend last weekend celebrating my 62nd birthday with my family. Every birthday is especially precious to me now. I’m feeling well and managing to walk about 1.25 miles a day despite the pee bag. I’m planning a short trip to Boston to see a friend in October and to attend my professional meeting Which is in Philly. My family plans to celebrate Thanksgiving in Orlando and I got tickets to Phoenix for February to Phoenix rountrip for two for $60. So we’re there!!!  Next weekend my son is treating me to see Book of Mormon and then we’ll go upstate NY for a wedding. My point is, I planning like there’s no tomorrow. 

I have to get this tube replaced some time in October so I’m hoping it’s no big deal. I found this stuff that goes over your dressing called Tagederm which allows me to take a regular shower. WHY DON‘T THEY TELL YOU ABOUT THIS???  It makes a huge difference to be able to take a regular shower. I found out about this on the Inspire forum for bladder cancer from a lovely lady’s posting who unfortunately passed away in 2017. Thank GOD for these forums. They are life saving. 

You all are in my nightly prayers and although I’m experiencing a good patch right now I know many of you are going through tough times. Know your sisters are with you every step of the way. Thanks for your sustaining support. 

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    edited September 2019 #150
    Options
    Your post is so positive and

Your post is so positive and im glad to hear you are living and planing good things.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

It sure feels good to see you making plans again! I'm about midway between Boston and Worcester, so if there's a possibility....  I don't want to intrude on your time with your friend, though. 

• CheeseQueen57
    Options
    MAbound said:

Happy Birthday!

It sure feels good to see you making plans again! I'm about midway between Boston and Worcester, so if there's a possibility....  I don't want to intrude on your time with your friend, though. 

Boston

As much I’d love to connect, I’m flying and only staying for a couple days. My friend lives in Sudbury. Probably isn’t feasible this time. 

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Boston

As much I’d love to connect, I’m flying and only staying for a couple days. My friend lives in Sudbury. Probably isn’t feasible this time. 

No problem

I actually almost bought a place in Grouse Hill in Sudbury, so that's not so far from where I ended up. You keep doing well and maybe there'll be another opportunity or excuse down the road. Enjoy all of your plans, you are going to be busy!

• mamlicsw
    mamlicsw Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So glad you have some non

So glad you have some non cancer events to look forward to and that you're feeling up to doing them after all you've been through.  Mary Ann

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Glad you have all sorts of

Glad you have all sorts of good things to look forward to!

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Birthday greetings!

Happy to hear that things are going well for you now and that you've got some fun trips lined up for the next few months. Enjoy!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited September 2019 #157
    Options
    Happy Birthday Cheese! So

Happy Birthday Cheese! So glad you are enjoying life. Thanks for sharing. It surely helps all that are going through any struggles now.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• oldbeauty
    oldbeauty Member Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea, CQ!

All of your plans sound wonderful, and exactly what you should be doing.  Fun stuff with people you love.  Happy Birthday and many more!!  Best wishes, Oldbeauty

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    oldbeauty said:

You have the right idea, CQ!

All of your plans sound wonderful, and exactly what you should be doing.  Fun stuff with people you love.  Happy Birthday and many more!!  Best wishes, Oldbeauty

CheeseQueen has the right

CheeseQueen has the right idea. Healing rest and relaxation is category of medicine unto itself, and one we undervalue too much. Enjoy all the positives that life can offer you right now! xxxooo

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and many more

Bet all of you feel the same way - when good news is spread, we all smile and feel stronger. So glad things are getting better for you, Cheese! And we all can invent what helps. After a recent fall, I had to make a crutch out of a MR. Clean mop. When I got to ortho, the doc thought it was a new crutch designSurprised So, I think frozen water bottles are brilliant! Love ya, Cheese!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Cheese!

Happy birthday Cheese!