Cheese Update

Options

Comments

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    Options

What an ordeal!

So after 12 days in the hospital trying to jump start my bowels, I’m where I belong at the beach. The conclusion was that the surgery and/or the anesthesia put my bowel to sleep. Finally when they put the barium through my NG tube it did the trick. But I had some horrible days and I was one day away from total parental nutrition. I guess I was in pretty bad shape. Thank you for all your concern but fingers crossed I’m out of the darkness. Praise the Lord. I’ll never take eating for granted again. It’s pretty bad when you look forward to the taste of your lip balm! Hell of a way to lose 18 pounds!

Whew!

I'm so glad to hear you are at the beach!  That sounds like quite an ordeal.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    Options

What an ordeal!

So after 12 days in the hospital trying to jump start my bowels, I’m where I belong at the beach. The conclusion was that the surgery and/or the anesthesia put my bowel to sleep. Finally when they put the barium through my NG tube it did the trick. But I had some horrible days and I was one day away from total parental nutrition. I guess I was in pretty bad shape. Thank you for all your concern but fingers crossed I’m out of the darkness. Praise the Lord. I’ll never take eating for granted again. It’s pretty bad when you look forward to the taste of your lip balm! Hell of a way to lose 18 pounds!

Oh my gosh, so glad you're on

Oh my gosh, so glad you're on the other side of that!

• Lulu7582
    Lulu7582 Member Posts: 112 Member
    Options

What an ordeal!

Oh my gosh!!

Yes glad those horrible days are behind you. Enjoy the beach and eating!! Happy 4th of July! xo

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm.....lip balm....mmmmm

Mmmmm.....lip balm....mmmmm

Cheese - you know I am teasing you.  Holy crap woman!!!  (literally)  I guess we know why they make us pee and poop before we can leave the hospital.  My bladder was sleepy after my surgery, and I didn't produce enough, but I worked on it when I got home.  

Good to hear you are out, on the beach, enjoying yourself.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Glad you're off the lip balm diet and at the beach!

So nice to hear your good news, Cheese!  I hear the water ice diet at the beach is a lot tastier than lip balm diet in the hospital!  I guess with that huge weight loss you'll be sporting a new bikini on the beach this season?  Cool  All kidding aside, have a great 4th of July holiday!!

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear things

I'm so glad to hear things seem to be getting better! The beach is absolutely the place to be. Hopefully, things are looking up.  (((Susan)))

Love, 

Eldri 

• SF73
    SF73 Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited July 2019 #128
    Options
    So glad to hear your good

So glad to hear your good news, Cheese. Have a great 4th of July!

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited July 2019 #129
    Options
    Merry Christmas!

Your news was just what we all wanted!!

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2019 #130
    Options

What an ordeal!

SO GLAD

SO GLAD you're home and at the beach, where you belong. I had no idea that your bowels could go to sleep and refuse to wake up, a sobering piece of information for all of us. So glad you can put that time behind you now. Enjoy your holiday, it's well earned.

• MAbound
    Options
    derMaus said:

SO GLAD

SO GLAD you're home and at the beach, where you belong. I had no idea that your bowels could go to sleep and refuse to wake up, a sobering piece of information for all of us. So glad you can put that time behind you now. Enjoy your holiday, it's well earned.

Ileus

What happened to Cheese is called ileus and its the same complication I had after my radical abdominal hysterectomy because of being tied down to the bed with tubes, IVs, and mechanical compression stockings. I was restricted to only getting up with help and no one had time to do that for me except for physical therapy once or twice. My husband was there, but was leery of messing with all that I was attached to. For some reason I had ended up on a medical floor instead of a surgical post-op and it really showed that staff there didn't quite know what I really needed and so I went through what Cheese did except that it didn't get to the point of needing an ng tube, thank God! It was not fun and really prolonged how long I was in the hospital.

During abdominal surgery, they give you medications to paralyze your intestines so that they aren't moving around while they are working in there. It's the reason why they won't discharge you until you have a bm or at least start passing gas to show that they are working again. It's why they want you to get up walking around asap after surgery which is a real problem for those who can't do it without help. Ileus is considered a preventable surgery complication, but it happens a lot.

Cheese's situation may have been different than mine because I seem to recall that she has had issues with blockages before and that may have played into what happened to her this time.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Happy Days, Cheese

There is something therapeutic about the sea air. I always feel so much better. Even my arthritis improves. Hope it is the same for you. Enjoy!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Cheese, so glad to hear from

Cheese, so glad to hear from you. Hopefully, you are on the right side of complete healing now. You certainly have earned it!

Enjoy your beach time and please let us know how you are doing as you progress.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Cheese, its been so hard to

Cheese, its been so hard to watch you struggle with so much. I kept reading hoping for good news. Sounds like things are looking up for you. I really hope it stays that way for you. Enjoy the beach okay.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Ahh the beach is a great

Ahh the beach is a great place to recover:)

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Not good news for my little ureter

Well, I saw my urologist yesterday. It’s not good news. Apparently my surgery wasnot successful as we had hoped. Probably to repair it would require more surgery, maybe more extensive than the original. My response at this point is I will live with the nephrostomy for now. I’ll think about things until after the holidays. But right now I’m thinking no more surgery. My kidney is being protected by the nephrostomy and I can live with the bag. I’m not sure I’ll ever change my mind because who knows what may be in my future health wise. I’m no worse off than I was before surgery and I’m sure not going back to the painful stents although they give me more personal freedom. So that’s the story now. I look forward to having some fun this fall!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

Well, I saw my urologist yesterday. It’s not good news. Apparently my surgery wasnot successful as we had hoped. Probably to repair it would require more surgery, maybe more extensive than the original. My response at this point is I will live with the nephrostomy for now. I’ll think about things until after the holidays. But right now I’m thinking no more surgery. My kidney is being protected by the nephrostomy and I can live with the bag. I’m not sure I’ll ever change my mind because who knows what may be in my future health wise. I’m no worse off than I was before surgery and I’m sure not going back to the painful stents although they give me more personal freedom. So that’s the story now. I look forward to having some fun this fall!

Frustrating as it is

I believe I'd make the same decision.  Grow stronger and start planning some things to look forward too

• MAbound
    edited August 2019 #138
    Options

Disappointing

I'm so sorry that after all that you have been through that it didn't get you to where you had hoped to be. It sure didn't seem like those stents gave you more freedom if you had to resort to using ice water bottles like you had, so in the scheme of things you at least got rid of the pain you were dealing with. That's good.

It's not fun having to adapt to new circumstances, but you certainly have the right outlook for not letting this get the best of you. Good on you! 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Cheese, so sorry to hear this

Cheese, so sorry to hear this. I'm glad that you are in a good head space. Being pain free is a blessing. And, after all that you have been through, I think I would make the same decision that you are. Thanks for letting us know your latest. We are all here for you!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Decisions

It seems with cancer one has to make decisions, often based on a wing and a prayer, knowing the outcome may or may not result in what we hope. You have certainly been a brave warrior and have taught all of us so much. My sister-in-law had to have the bag as well and she has amazed me at her acceptance of it and all the things that go with it. She opted to not do more surgery and she was 88! At 90 she is still driving down the road to help stock the church food pantry and she never misses a Sunday service. All of us were so worried about her and she has put us all to shame. I know this may not cheer you up, but it just proves how strong and what fighters we women can be. Hope you continue to show your indomitable spirit.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Taking time

Perhaps you'll decide differently later, but since you can tolerate the nephrostomy and don't have the pain you did with the stents, postponing a decision about more surgery until later seems like the best option. I hope you can enjoy the rest of the summer without any more immediate problems.