TJ's Challenge

Options

Comments

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Really enoying all your photos of yesteryear. Gorgeous and glamourous. I had most of the hair styles mentioned but there was one I liked called the "pixie". I never wore it but thought it looked real cute. Pony tails and the "flip" were also big in my day. I kind of had my hair styled in the "flip" in some of my teen and young 20's pics. (Flip=curled up and out on the ends). Can't post any since we're on our vacation away from home. I guess you can call me "Height challenged" at 5'2" also. All my kids and grandkids are taller than me, so I'm the shorty in the family. My husband is 6'2" so we're quite a couple, tall and short. Not on the board much right now, having some fun and relaxation before going home and facing the music in Feb., surgery, radiation and probably chemo. At least for now, I'm enjoying myself and again love seeing all these pics.

Sunrae ♥
    So good to see your beautiful smiling face again! I am happy to hear that you are really enjoying your vacation. I wish I was there in Florida with you. I posted some new pics yesterday on my Expressions Page of the weather we had here yesterday. Let me just say this one word...SNOW! LOL I know, I know, you are jealous. LOL

We will all be here supporting you when you go thru your treatments in February!

Take care and have lots and lots of fun!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Sunrae ♥
    So good to see your beautiful smiling face again! I am happy to hear that you are really enjoying your vacation. I wish I was there in Florida with you. I posted some new pics yesterday on my Expressions Page of the weather we had here yesterday. Let me just say this one word...SNOW! LOL I know, I know, you are jealous. LOL

We will all be here supporting you when you go thru your treatments in February!

Take care and have lots and lots of fun!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Thanks Jeanne. I did take a
    Thanks Jeanne. I did take a look at your pics of all the snow. That's how it looked when we left MO. We actually drove out of the snow coming down and watched the car thermometer go up as we drove, from 20's to 50's in Georgia and 60's in Florida. Its cool now but supposed to be around 70's next week. Wish you could all take a break from the frigid weather. I agree with everyone, Farrah, hair and teeth, really beautiful. Lot of fun to see everyone fresh and beautiful. Wait a minute, that describes us now, doesn't it?
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Oh Stef you described the
    Oh Stef you described the beehive very well. I could never achieve that beehive because my hair was too short and too wavy. The beehive was similar to the french twist but higher. that hairdo I'm sporting is a bubble but not the double bubble. Do you remember the artichoke? It was also a short do with very fluffy curls on top and thinned out bottom. I have a photo of me in the mid 60's with a high tease (ratting or backcomb). There was never enough hair to cover the back of my head so I walked around with very high hair on top with a slight bald spot in the back. I didnt care as long as it looked high and teased from the front view. LOL

They still do the french
    They still do the french twist Natly! Your hairdo is a bubble? lol Sorry, the names of these are hysterical. Or, to me they are. Sorry :(

The artichoke? lol I bet you looked beautiful Natly even with that bald spot. lol

Sue :)
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Thanks Jeanne. I did take a look at your pics of all the snow. That's how it looked when we left MO. We actually drove out of the snow coming down and watched the car thermometer go up as we drove, from 20's to 50's in Georgia and 60's in Florida. Its cool now but supposed to be around 70's next week. Wish you could all take a break from the frigid weather. I agree with everyone, Farrah, hair and teeth, really beautiful. Lot of fun to see everyone fresh and beautiful. Wait a minute, that describes us now, doesn't it?

I had a pixie hair cut as a
    I had a pixie hair cut as a young girl. I had an artichoke hair cut. We would go to the beauty school where you could get the latest styles at low prices. I remember french twists (and yes the beehive is just a taller variation) I remember rollers the size of coke cans. I remember the bubble, that preceded the double bubble. There was also a hair cut called the gesh. It was short, layered, kind of like the artichoke (which looked likes it name) but had longer side curls that were either taped to your face or adhered with clear name polish. You could use clppies also but our teachers made us take them out. Go figure, polish is okay but don't put in a hair clip. And I remember that bun, pony tail. It was actually very cute. Oh and a curled side pony tail (my daughter had those). And hair pieces were big in my twenties. I had falls, postiches (spelling) which were small hair pieces used to create those curls on the top of an updo. Think sixties prom pictures. I loved my fall. It was beautiful and real hair and went almost to my waist. I remember going on a job interview and wearing it and my cute pink and green suit with matching shoes and purse. I got the job and the first day I wore my fall. The following day I went with my own cute hair which was short and one of the ladies ran over to me and asked how could I cut off all that beautiful hair. I laughed and assured her it would be back in no time. It was fun to have all those hair options. I even had a wig or two. My daughter has a beautiful fall that she uses when she belly dances to add length and thickness to her hair. Hair extensions are just too expensive and very hard on the hair.
    Okay, now a question? Did anyone wear hot pants, boots and tights? How about fish nets? Who went braless? Poodle skirts? Disco style? Cyndy Lauper? What else was in fashion in your youth? Maybe a new thread called, Fashionistas of the Day.
    Oh and I am not only a member of the height challenged club, I am also the president (just kidding). I am just barely (if I stretch a bit) 5 feet tall.
    Stef
  • Ritzy
    Options
    fauxma said:

I had a pixie hair cut as a young girl. I had an artichoke hair cut. We would go to the beauty school where you could get the latest styles at low prices. I remember french twists (and yes the beehive is just a taller variation) I remember rollers the size of coke cans. I remember the bubble, that preceded the double bubble. There was also a hair cut called the gesh. It was short, layered, kind of like the artichoke (which looked likes it name) but had longer side curls that were either taped to your face or adhered with clear name polish. You could use clppies also but our teachers made us take them out. Go figure, polish is okay but don't put in a hair clip. And I remember that bun, pony tail. It was actually very cute. Oh and a curled side pony tail (my daughter had those). And hair pieces were big in my twenties. I had falls, postiches (spelling) which were small hair pieces used to create those curls on the top of an updo. Think sixties prom pictures. I loved my fall. It was beautiful and real hair and went almost to my waist. I remember going on a job interview and wearing it and my cute pink and green suit with matching shoes and purse. I got the job and the first day I wore my fall. The following day I went with my own cute hair which was short and one of the ladies ran over to me and asked how could I cut off all that beautiful hair. I laughed and assured her it would be back in no time. It was fun to have all those hair options. I even had a wig or two. My daughter has a beautiful fall that she uses when she belly dances to add length and thickness to her hair. Hair extensions are just too expensive and very hard on the hair.
    Okay, now a question? Did anyone wear hot pants, boots and tights? How about fish nets? Who went braless? Poodle skirts? Disco style? Cyndy Lauper? What else was in fashion in your youth? Maybe a new thread called, Fashionistas of the Day.
    Oh and I am not only a member of the height challenged club, I am also the president (just kidding). I am just barely (if I stretch a bit) 5 feet tall.
    Stef

Should I call you Madam President? lol
    Stef, I love your stories. You are a great writer! I can't wait to see what someone writes back about hot pants? Whatever they are lol

I wear fish net stockings now. They are in style. Do you still have yours? Maybe you could wear them with your hot pants? lol

• Ritzy
    Options

You are so right, Stef. The
    You are so right, Stef. The other thing I remember is wearing huge petticoats with yards and yards of net, with a colored border around the bottom. My job on Saturday was to mix up a large aluminum tub of starch water, soak the petticoat for about thirty minutes, and then run out to the clothes line and hang in right in the middle of the lines. Then you took clothes pins and stretched it out as far as you could around the bottom so that it would dry stiff and "large'. Then when you put it on the next morning for church, your dress hem would almost be even with your waiste, except four feet out. On days you went to school, you would catch a bus at 7:30 in the morning, and by the time you got to school, the starch had sweated off of the petticoat, and stuck to your legs. Oh, those were the days. Today's generation really doesn't know what it is like to live like that, but those of us who lived through those days have lots of funny memories. However, at the time, that was normal....and life was simple. Hugs,

Judy

Judy, you are beautiful!
    Judy, you are beautiful! Your story of the petticoat dilemna is funny! I just keep coming back to this thread to read more of these stories. I love them!

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Really enoying all your photos of yesteryear. Gorgeous and glamourous. I had most of the hair styles mentioned but there was one I liked called the "pixie". I never wore it but thought it looked real cute. Pony tails and the "flip" were also big in my day. I kind of had my hair styled in the "flip" in some of my teen and young 20's pics. (Flip=curled up and out on the ends). Can't post any since we're on our vacation away from home. I guess you can call me "Height challenged" at 5'2" also. All my kids and grandkids are taller than me, so I'm the shorty in the family. My husband is 6'2" so we're quite a couple, tall and short. Not on the board much right now, having some fun and relaxation before going home and facing the music in Feb., surgery, radiation and probably chemo. At least for now, I'm enjoying myself and again love seeing all these pics.

I hope that this thread goes
    I hope that this thread goes on forever and that all of you keep telling about how it used to be. I really enjoy it. Thanks!

Angie
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    fauxma said:

Stef

OMG Stef you have quite the
    OMG Stef you have quite the memory. Yes i remember hot pants, they were dressy shorts. I had a pair of boots in every color and loved fish nets. Poodle skirts were big in the 50's if I remember correctly. I think we wore petticoats under our poodles. yes I owned a fall, and a couple wigs, and there was a shorter hairpiece like a fall but I cant remeber what we called it. I think it helped enhance the look of the high teased hair. I havent thought about these things in years. Brings back happy and funny memories.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Angie2U said:

I hope that this thread goes
    I hope that this thread goes on forever and that all of you keep telling about how it used to be. I really enjoy it. Thanks!

Angie

Boy, Stef, you really
    Boy, Stef, you really brought back some well hidden memories. Back in the 60's, my husband and I live in the LA area (we migrated from Houston to Alhambra, CA in the early 60's, and moved from there to Phoenix in the early 70's.) Anyway, even though we had children, my husband felt we needed to be part of the "in crowd", and he joined the Playboy Club when it opened in downtown Hollywood. About once a month we would dress to the hilt and go out for the festivities on Saturday night. I can remember making sure that I timed my "dye job" to coincide with that weekend. I did have a hairpiece that was used on top of my head, and it was curled in tight little curls. The rest of my hair was tucked up on top of my head with lots of bobbypins, and was smooth but teased to make it large looking. Then came the hairpiece to sit on top. I had several gold lamet or silver lamet dresses that were so short that I couldn't sit down until I was somewhere that I could tuck my legs under a table cloth. And each outfit had a pair of matching boots...4" heels, with tops that came almost to my knee. There was always a shawl of some kind, and back then it was okay to wear fur. So if it was a little chilly, I would wear a rabbit fur shawl. If it wasn't so cold, I would wear a shawl that matched the dress. The Playboy club in Hollywood was exactly as you have seen it on TV. The Playboy Bunnies were beautiful, and you always had to comete with that. The people were always glamorous, the men in tuxedos or really nice suits, and the women dressed similar to me. Those were the days. The next day, you would wake up to the "real world" with crying babies, food to put ont he table, and the everyday cleaning, but that Saturday night was always so special. Thanks for bringing this to my memory. Hugs, Judy
  • Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    fauxma said:

Stef

Dear President Stef
    Yep, you are the orginal height challenged member. :)
    I'm a hot pants mama and also went braless..but not until after high school. I wore button down oxford shirts and plaid pleated skirts (usually rolled up at the waist to shorten them). I didn't get to roll the skirts up until after I left my house..mom wouldn't have approved. I wore pantie hose and penny loafers. We looked like we were off to private school in uniforms since we were mirror images of each other. The guys didn't wear socks or belts. If you were a couple - you and your guy wore matching "matdress" plaid shirts. The girls had to keep swapping shirts cause we all changed our boyfriends so quickly...there wasn't time or money to go buy more matching shirts.
    This has been so much fun. With you CA girls on the west coast..almost all the fashion you experienced...didn't get to the east coast for at least 6 - 12 months. heheh
  • Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    Options

So many beautiful women on
    So many beautiful women on this site! Now if I can just find a talent agent to look at these pictures and be your agent, I could make some moolah! LOL

So Sorry Survivor...
    Sorry Survivor....you are a few light years too late to make any $$$ on these pics with a talent agent...unless your agent likes grey hair and wrinkles. Jacki
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Sunrae said:

LOL
    Those snow pictures Jeanne look very scary! I would say that you did have a blizzard.

I am getting the biggest laugh out of these posts. Talk about memories and fun times. Please continue with them as many of us are truly enjoying them.

Does anyone remember poor boy shirts? I think that was what went with the hot pants. Or, am I thinking of something else?

And, thanks TJ and Stef for starting this!

Kristin ♥
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    tjhay said:

A beehine, come on Moopy I
    A beehine, come on Moopy I am way to young for a beehive? Are you saying I look old, not the thing to say to a southern womean :(
    Kidding!!!!!!!
    tj

HA, TJ!
    I knew you couldn't resist the beehive comment. Gotcha, southern sister!

My mama raised me better than to suggest any lady looks old. (She had a little help with the raising from my grandmother, who, I regret to say, did have wrinkles at a very early age. Fortunately, mama and I took after my granddad's side of the family.)
  • Moopy23
    Options
    Jacque101 said:

Oh my...
    I've never been told that before...sorry, brains just " ain't " a part of my Tennesse education. But, gee it was nice seeing that in print. :) Thank you ;)

Jacque
    You do look beautiful and brainy. But, what do you mean--brains aren't part of your Tennessee education?? My brains were pretty well exercised in Middle TN. I even got two laminated pieces of paper to prove it!

Your sister in Tennessee-ness,
    Moopy
  • Moopy23
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Moopy, you look so sweet and
    Moopy, you look so sweet and so pretty in your picture!

Lex♥

Thanks, little Tinker Bell!
    What about you?
  • Moopy23
    Options
    fauxma said:

Mimi,
    You haven't change

Mimi,

You haven't change much from your graduation. You barely look any older. My Denise is like that. She still looks very much like she did in high school. And isn't that a nice thing. But gosh, no fan in your hair. And aren't you glad? I think that was more popular a few years earlier. I think Denise was 8th and 9th grade when it was "at its peak". LOL

Marcia,
    That is another lovely picture of you. What a pretty girl. The only wedding pictures I have are of my first wedding. My 2nd wedding was small. Me, Dennis, Denise, Mom, StepDad and my sister. We didn't do pictures at all.

This is just so much fun.
    Stef

You All are Beautiful and Entertaining
    Thank you all for the wonderful photos and recollections. (I used Sun-In, too!) Mimi, you look every bit as beautiful as I expected. Still that same endearing smile and creamy skin. Hope you and your Simon had a wonderful birthday celebration.
  • Moopy23
    Options
    fauxma said:

Natly,
    Such a classic look

Natly,

Such a classic look and so pretty. I love the pose. Just the right toss to the head, so carefree and confident. Very lovely.
    Stef

Natly, I'm with Stef
    Stef wrote just what I was thinking when I saw your photo. And you look so natural in that pose, too. Bet the photographer loved you!
  • Moopy23
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Moopyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ♥
    You were a doll then, just like you are now! I hope Joe knows how lucky he is to have such a beauty, inside and out!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Jeanne!
    I know I am lucky to have such loyal friends, like my Farrah. Oh, and your hubby? I know he adores his beautiful wife!
  • Ritzy
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

HA, TJ!
    I knew you couldn't resist the beehive comment. Gotcha, southern sister!

My mama raised me better than to suggest any lady looks old. (She had a little help with the raising from my grandmother, who, I regret to say, did have wrinkles at a very early age. Fortunately, mama and I took after my granddad's side of the family.)

Hey Moopy! Stef explained
    Hey Moopy! Stef explained the beehive to me as well as other various hairstyles.

Have you heard of the artichoke? lol She had that one too.

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    fauxma said:

Stef

wiglet
    I had a wiglet during my senior year. It was a hairpiece of curls. For my prom a friend pulled my hair on top my head and pinned it up and pinned the wiglet on. She was attending the beauty school in town and was going to fix it different and had set my hair in rollers and was about to comb it out when another girl took over while she went to do something else and she teased the heck out of my hair. When my friend got back she was upset because the teasing took all the curl out. That's when she told me to go home and she'd meet me there and she'd stick the wiglet on instead. I actually think the wiglet looked better anyway.