TJ's Challenge

Options

Comments

• Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    natly15 said:

1961 HS Graduation from West
    1961 HS Graduation from West Geauga High School, Chesterland, Ohio, (age 18). The black dress and pearls were mine. I think we were able to choose what we wore, but I wanted the standard look. I dont remember if we had hairspray in 1961, if not it wasnt much longer before it came on the scene. Amazing how I went from brunette in 1961, to brunette with blond Hi-Lites, then to blonde thru the years, and then bald in 2009. LOL

I'm still 5"1 and a heck of alot fuller all Over!!

Great pic, Natley
    And I love your sense of humor...the hair style of 2009. I believe I'll get that '09 style by the end of the month..can I call it the style of the century - 2010 ? And at 5-1 we could start our own "I'm not short - just height challenged" club. Stef..you can join too.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Movie stars among us!
    Judy, you look like Rita Hayworth, and Cousin Natly, you look like Audrey Hepburn, giving Cary Grant that come-hither look!

Traci

So many beautiful women on
    So many beautiful women on this site! Now if I can just find a talent agent to look at these pictures and be your agent, I could make some moolah! LOL
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

LOL Stef
    OMG, you make me laugh! I can't believe that you would do that to your hair. I have to google it and see what pops up. I remember people talking about ironing their hair. Did you do that? I would think you might catch it on fire, to say the least. LOL

Thanks for explaining it Stef!

Sue :)

I am trying to put something here and it isn't working. I will keep trying. :(((((

Ritzy
    I never ironed my

Ritzy
    I never ironed my hair. I kept it pretty short. But I had a friend with long wavy hair who ironed hers all the time. I remember one time we were talking and she was ironing and she left it on too long. It didn't burn so much as frizzled. When She lifted the iron, there was a large piece of her hair on the ironing board and about four inches left on her head. Fortunately you do a small area at a time so it was easily hidden.
    Okay, here's a little story for you all. When I was 13 or 14, a good friend and I wanted to bleach our hair. We had asked our parents and they, of course, said no we couldn't buy hair color and color it. So, we decided that if we used bleach (as in Clorox) that would be okay because it wasn't hair dye and it should bleach it. Well, Clorox doesn't work but it does make your scalp burn. Well, it might have worked if we hadn't been in such a hurry to wash it off. A year later we bought straight peroxide and used that. Her hair was blonde so it did lighten it. My hair was a dark brown and it turned it a lovely orangish shade. My mom hated the color so she bought some kind of hair color and tinted it a medium brownish red shade. I loved it. It was much like the color I have done my hair most of my life. I think all the trauma I did to my hair caused premature greying. I started having significant streaks at 20. I think it is white now but I am not positive. I have done countless other stupid things as a young person and am probably lucky that I lived through many of them. That was me, more courage than brains, act first, think later. But I survived and they do make for interesting memories.
    Stef
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    fauxma said:

For the couple of gals too
    For the couple of gals too young to remember the beehive hairdo. You backcombed your hair (we called it ratting) until it was a mass of snarls and had volume. Then you started just above one ear smoothing it as you combed or brushed it slightly upward, forward and around your head. You used bobby pins as needed. The end result looked just like a beehive on the top of your head. Wish I could find that picture. Mine was a small beehive. I didn't have the thick hair that worked so much better for these backcombed styles but I tried. I am sure you can google it and see it. There was another style called the double bubble that was popular as well. The most common and flattering styles were the backcombed flip or the backcombed page boy. One of our gals has a perfect picture of that style. I could never get mine to do that. The best I got was my graduation pictures and that took me a long time to achieve. Glad that ratting is no longer in style. No to mention how hard it is on your hair. Oh, we suffer for beauty. Like the gal who had starched legs by the time she got to school. That was too funny.
    Stef

Oh Stef you described the
    Oh Stef you described the beehive very well. I could never achieve that beehive because my hair was too short and too wavy. The beehive was similar to the french twist but higher. that hairdo I'm sporting is a bubble but not the double bubble. Do you remember the artichoke? It was also a short do with very fluffy curls on top and thinned out bottom. I have a photo of me in the mid 60's with a high tease (ratting or backcomb). There was never enough hair to cover the back of my head so I walked around with very high hair on top with a slight bald spot in the back. I didnt care as long as it looked high and teased from the front view. LOL
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Class of 1987
    I was going for "Madonna hair" back then, and I wouldn't be caught dead without my gold glitter mousse and my lavender eyeshadow.

(although, apparently, I hadn't yet discovered eyebrow tweezers!)

My girlfriend's 11-year-old son saw the picture yesterday and said I was "hot"!

:-) Traci

That's funny Traci
    you were talking about tweezing eyebrows(or not). I picked the worst time to tweeze mine for the first time-right before my senior pictures were taken. Needless to say,I didn't know when to stop and when my Dad saw me-he said that I looked like I'd been in a fight or something... so whenever someone would comment on maybe how nice my picture looked,all I could see were those eyebrows...
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Jacque101 said:

Great pic, Natley
    And I love your sense of humor...the hair style of 2009. I believe I'll get that '09 style by the end of the month..can I call it the style of the century - 2010 ? And at 5-1 we could start our own "I'm not short - just height challenged" club. Stef..you can join too.

You can add me to the
    You can add me to the "height challenged" club also. At barely 5'2", I qualify. The funny thing is that my two sons are 6' 3", and 6' 6", respectifely, and fortunately took after their father. My daughter was 5'5", so she was more in the average range. My oldest son is constantly shooting "short jokes" at me, and it has become a family saying when my kids had kids, "I just hope they are taller than Mom". Mimi, I have been off of the board for a few days, and missed your posting of your graduation picture. As I suspected, it is a beautiful picture, and looks so much like you do now. Funny how we don't change, but think we do. Hugs to all. Judy
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Ritzy
    I never ironed my

Ritzy
    I never ironed my hair. I kept it pretty short. But I had a friend with long wavy hair who ironed hers all the time. I remember one time we were talking and she was ironing and she left it on too long. It didn't burn so much as frizzled. When She lifted the iron, there was a large piece of her hair on the ironing board and about four inches left on her head. Fortunately you do a small area at a time so it was easily hidden.
    Okay, here's a little story for you all. When I was 13 or 14, a good friend and I wanted to bleach our hair. We had asked our parents and they, of course, said no we couldn't buy hair color and color it. So, we decided that if we used bleach (as in Clorox) that would be okay because it wasn't hair dye and it should bleach it. Well, Clorox doesn't work but it does make your scalp burn. Well, it might have worked if we hadn't been in such a hurry to wash it off. A year later we bought straight peroxide and used that. Her hair was blonde so it did lighten it. My hair was a dark brown and it turned it a lovely orangish shade. My mom hated the color so she bought some kind of hair color and tinted it a medium brownish red shade. I loved it. It was much like the color I have done my hair most of my life. I think all the trauma I did to my hair caused premature greying. I started having significant streaks at 20. I think it is white now but I am not positive. I have done countless other stupid things as a young person and am probably lucky that I lived through many of them. That was me, more courage than brains, act first, think later. But I survived and they do make for interesting memories.
    Stef

Clorox?
    OMG lol I can't believe what you did to your hair. You are lucky to have any left after all of that! Thanks for these stories! I am laughing so hard at these! And, I want more! lol

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Clorox?
    OMG lol I can't believe what you did to your hair. You are lucky to have any left after all of that! Thanks for these stories! I am laughing so hard at these! And, I want more! lol

Ok I'll tell you my hair
    Ok I'll tell you my hair raising story. I had a sister in high school and I was in junior high or 6 - 8th grade anyway. There was a fad syle in the high school and she came home and said she'd do my hair that way. You put your hair into a ponytail and put it through a bun and wrap part of it around the bun but leave some loose so it's a bun and a ponytail. I wore it to school and no one said anything about it. Some time later (days) another girl showed up with her hair done the same way. She either liked it or had an older sister too.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Ok I'll tell you my hair
    Ok I'll tell you my hair raising story. I had a sister in high school and I was in junior high or 6 - 8th grade anyway. There was a fad syle in the high school and she came home and said she'd do my hair that way. You put your hair into a ponytail and put it through a bun and wrap part of it around the bun but leave some loose so it's a bun and a ponytail. I wore it to school and no one said anything about it. Some time later (days) another girl showed up with her hair done the same way. She either liked it or had an older sister too.

LOL
    I love your story Marcia! I think they liked it!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    fauxma said:

Ritzy
    I never ironed my

Ritzy
    Stef

LOL Stef ♥
    I am shocked that you used clorox! I am surprised you didn't get severe burns from it. And, the smell........ew! LOL

I do remember girls using peroxide to color their hair. My sister would put lemon juice on her hair and go out in the sun and said it made her hair blonder. I don't remember if that worked or not. I might have to call her and ask. But, I doubt she remembers. LOL

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

LOL Stef ♥
    I am shocked that you used clorox! I am surprised you didn't get severe burns from it. And, the smell........ew! LOL

I do remember girls using peroxide to color their hair. My sister would put lemon juice on her hair and go out in the sun and said it made her hair blonder. I don't remember if that worked or not. I might have to call her and ask. But, I doubt she remembers. LOL

Love, Jeanne ♥

I remember a spray on
    I remember a spray on product that would lighten your hair in the sun. I used it for awhile but just being in the sun a lot lightens my hair anyway. I started out blond (remember the baby pictures) and darkened gradually. So being in the sun takes me back to my roots (well not that blond just lighter). After getting a hair cut I've actually had people ask if I dyed my hair.
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I remember a spray on
    I remember a spray on product that would lighten your hair in the sun. I used it for awhile but just being in the sun a lot lightens my hair anyway. I started out blond (remember the baby pictures) and darkened gradually. So being in the sun takes me back to my roots (well not that blond just lighter). After getting a hair cut I've actually had people ask if I dyed my hair.

I remember that Marcia!
    I do remember that too Marcia. Now, what was it called? Darn it! Yes, I remember your baby pic and your being light headed.

Going thru all of these stages of our lives has been so fun!

I don't know if they do this anymore, but, I remember getting my hair frosted and the hair stylist pulled it thru this bag with holes on my head and it hurt!

Also, here is a warning! LOL My hair used to be dry, so, I put vaseline on it, yes vaseline. Guess what? It doesn't just wash out! LOL Mom had to get some kind of super duper strong special shampoo and I had to wash my hair about a million times to get it out. I stayed home from school even for a few days. LOL

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I remember a spray on

It's called Sun-In and it still exists!
    Oh my gosh, my husband told me he used this in highschool to lighten his hair. And he's Asian-American! I can't imagine what it looked like. LOL.
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    mimivac said:

It's called Sun-In and it still exists!
    Oh my gosh, my husband told me he used this in highschool to lighten his hair. And he's Asian-American! I can't imagine what it looked like. LOL.

YES!
    That is the name of it Mimi! I was googling trying to find it. Look how much time you saved me! LOL I bet your hubby was a doll no matter what. He has such good taste! The proof is in the fact that he married our pretty Mimi! ☺

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

YES!
    That is the name of it Mimi! I was googling trying to find it. Look how much time you saved me! LOL I bet your hubby was a doll no matter what. He has such good taste! The proof is in the fact that he married our pretty Mimi! ☺

Love, Jeanne ♥

Jeanne,
    I am quoting this to my husband tonight!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

You can add me to the
    You can add me to the "height challenged" club also. At barely 5'2", I qualify. The funny thing is that my two sons are 6' 3", and 6' 6", respectifely, and fortunately took after their father. My daughter was 5'5", so she was more in the average range. My oldest son is constantly shooting "short jokes" at me, and it has become a family saying when my kids had kids, "I just hope they are taller than Mom". Mimi, I have been off of the board for a few days, and missed your posting of your graduation picture. As I suspected, it is a beautiful picture, and looks so much like you do now. Funny how we don't change, but think we do. Hugs to all. Judy

I've had to be off for
    I've had to be off for awhile, too. It's been fun scrolling through all the new posts. Thanks for the kind comments. You are all so beautiful and the memories are a gas. xoxoxo Lynn
  • lynn1950
    Options

You can add me to the

I've had to be off for
    I've had to be off for awhile, too. It's been fun scrolling through all the new posts. Thanks for the kind comments. You are all so beautiful and the memories are a gas. xoxoxo Lynn
  • lynn1950
    Options

You can add me to the

I've had to be off for
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options

You can add me to the

Really enoying all your photos of yesteryear. Gorgeous and glamourous. I had most of the hair styles mentioned but there was one I liked called the "pixie". I never wore it but thought it looked real cute. Pony tails and the "flip" were also big in my day. I kind of had my hair styled in the "flip" in some of my teen and young 20's pics. (Flip=curled up and out on the ends). Can't post any since we're on our vacation away from home. I guess you can call me "Height challenged" at 5'2" also. All my kids and grandkids are taller than me, so I'm the shorty in the family. My husband is 6'2" so we're quite a couple, tall and short. Not on the board much right now, having some fun and relaxation before going home and facing the music in Feb., surgery, radiation and probably chemo. At least for now, I'm enjoying myself and again love seeing all these pics.
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    mimivac said:

Jeanne,
    I am quoting this to my husband tonight!

You do that Mimi ♥
    And, let him know that there are a LOTof others that agree with me!

Love, Jeanne ♥