♥ The Latest Update ♥ ♥ Praying to Dance with NED ♥

Options

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

NED
    Sue, it means that there is no evidence of disease in your body. Some doctors interpret that as cancer-free and others say you are in remission. Always there is a "as far as we know" implied there, but it's pretty darn good and as much as we can hope for. In a way, even people who have never had cancer can never really be said to be 100% cancer free, because we never know for sure. So, NED is something that can apply to everyone.

Mimi

Thanks Mimi
    This is confusing sometimes. Some say they are cancer free and others say they are in remission. I guess they are the same things then? I hope that I can dance with NED soon then too! Sounds like a good dance! Thanks again!

Sue :)
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Thanks Mimi
    This is confusing sometimes. Some say they are cancer free and others say they are in remission. I guess they are the same things then? I hope that I can dance with NED soon then too! Sounds like a good dance! Thanks again!

Sue :)

Not sure if they are exactly the same
    I've also heard remission used in the case of people who are Stage IV, meaning that they are stable, but it is assumed that there is still cancer somewhere in their body, inactive at the moment. It is confusing, for sure.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    mimivac said:

I've also heard remission used in the case of people who are Stage IV, meaning that they are stable, but it is assumed that there is still cancer somewhere in their body, inactive at the moment. It is confusing, for sure.

NED or Remission

As always, thanks Mimi for your answers. I get confused as to what to say too when people ask. Although, my oncologist did tell me that I was cured. That was the word he used, but, not sure that he should say that. And, not sure that I believe it.

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

I was told cured too and I
    I was told cured too and I was glad to hear it. But, I think you are right, they probably really can't nor should say that. But, it made my husband and I happy for that minute to hear it.

Debby
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

The flu shot

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting the flu shot. I am sure that my getting the flu hours after getting the shot was just some freaky thing. And, my immune system is compromised, so, that didn't help. But, I am not for sure I will ever get one again quite honestly.

Love, Jeanne ♥

Logic has nothing to do with it~ Emotions win out! LOL
    I am sure you know that you absolutley CANNOT get the flu from the flu shot! It is not made from anything live; and the shot takes a good 10 days to 2 weeks to build up antibodies and shield us from whatever strain of flu is floating around! If we get ill immediately following the shot, well, it's that we would have gotten sick anyway~ we already HAD the flu virus about to attack and it truly was coincidental! Also, with so many strains of flu, it isn't always definite that the flu the CDC THINKS will be out this year is the one that actually arrives. They do say that we might feel a bit achy following the shot; but the flu itself would not be a side effect. I wish we could get a flu shot BEFORE flu season starts; but I guess they have to see what's out there, etc. I am really not sure.

All that having been said, I 100% understand your reluctance to get one next year! LOL Though I don't think our oncologists want us to get the flu and IF the shots caused it, I am certain they wouldn't recommend it while we are in chemotherapy. But they do....so go figure!

Is this yet another can't win for losing scenario??? (((((((HUGS)))))

Chen♥
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    chenheart said:

Logic has nothing to do with it~ Emotions win out! LOL
    I am sure you know that you absolutley CANNOT get the flu from the flu shot! It is not made from anything live; and the shot takes a good 10 days to 2 weeks to build up antibodies and shield us from whatever strain of flu is floating around! If we get ill immediately following the shot, well, it's that we would have gotten sick anyway~ we already HAD the flu virus about to attack and it truly was coincidental! Also, with so many strains of flu, it isn't always definite that the flu the CDC THINKS will be out this year is the one that actually arrives. They do say that we might feel a bit achy following the shot; but the flu itself would not be a side effect. I wish we could get a flu shot BEFORE flu season starts; but I guess they have to see what's out there, etc. I am really not sure.

All that having been said, I 100% understand your reluctance to get one next year! LOL Though I don't think our oncologists want us to get the flu and IF the shots caused it, I am certain they wouldn't recommend it while we are in chemotherapy. But they do....so go figure!

Is this yet another can't win for losing scenario??? (((((((HUGS)))))

Chen♥

Yep!
    I know the flu shot didn't give me the flu, but, you have to admit..it was kind of coincidental? LOL

And yes, my oncologist wanted me to get it. My rads oncologist actually gave it to me. Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot Claudia? My oncologist didn't want me to.

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Yep!
    I know the flu shot didn't give me the flu, but, you have to admit..it was kind of coincidental? LOL

And yes, my oncologist wanted me to get it. My rads oncologist actually gave it to me. Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot Claudia? My oncologist didn't want me to.

Love, Jeanne ♥

I have been out of treamtent
    I have been out of treamtent for YEARS...and am almost a year out of taking Arimidex as well. It hasn't occurred to me NOT to get the H1N1 ( notice how the abbreviation has made this flu go from Swine to HINEY flu???) LOL I think perhaps if/when the vaccine becomes available I will indeed ask my oncologist just to be on the safe side. I truly don't know if our immune systems remain forever compromised. I understand we can never be blood or organ donors post treatment, so again, I actually don't know what category I fall into as regards H1N1.

It's always something, isn't it?

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Yep!

Love, Jeanne ♥

The flu
    Jeanne, I have heard that many who get it right after the shot contract it because they are in a hospital or other setting where there are people with the actual flu. So maybe you got it from someone in the waiting area.

Mimi
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    mimivac said:

The flu
    Jeanne, I have heard that many who get it right after the shot contract it because they are in a hospital or other setting where there are people with the actual flu. So maybe you got it from someone in the waiting area.

Mimi

You are probably right Mimi
    I have been in the cancer center and the hospital so much lately for tests and doctor visits that I probably contracted it from someone there on some of my many visits. I hope none of you get it. It is awful! Thank goodness I am finally feeling better.

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

LoL Cat ♥

Yes, the flu does suck! I hope noone here gets it. And, I do blame it on that darn shot. It was just too much of a coincidence that I got sick just a few hours after getting it.

I am hoping for good news on my CAT scan too! Thanks CAT!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Jeanne
    I know of a few people who have gotten sicker than dogs right after they got the flu shot. I believe some of them actually GIVE you the flu! Hope you feel better soon and your Cat Scan brings you more news of NED!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

I love
    that show Dancing with the Stars! But, you are right, the main star is NED and I want ONE more dance with him! So wish me luck and send me a prayer!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Good luck
    and a prayer sent your way

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Stef ♥
    Didn't you have abdominal cancer? What were your symptoms, if you don't mind me asking.

Yes, I thought I was cancer free after 23 plus years, so, it was a huge shock. But, it was a new cancer, not a recurrence. All of my doctors say that is good, so, I will just accept that, fight it and live a full and happy life!

Love, Jeanne ♥

I had uterine cancer. But I
    I had uterine cancer. But I did have gallstones and had my gallbladder removed 8 or 9 months after the uterine cancer. With the gallstones I had the worst pain in my upper abdominal area and around the back. It would come on suddenly and would be waves of pain, sometimes it would cause me to vomit and then after a few hours it would go away. At first it wasn't so bad but it got progressively worse. Soon it was happening every time I ate or drank anything. I was so worried it was a cancer. They got me in as soon as I was smart enough to actually call for an appointment. Two weeks later, I had a CAT Scan (yes, that lovely stuff ugh) and three days later they called me to schedule the surgery. It was supposed to be a month later but I told them that I wasn't able to eat or drink. They had me come in and saw that I had lost quite a bit of weight from the 17 days before so they rescheduled the surgery for 2 days later I think. They said they were going to try and do it laproscopically but because of the hysterectomy they might have to go to the other type with a wide incision and a 10 day hospital stay. So I went in not knowing if I was going to wake up and go home or wake up in the hospital. Kind of what happened with Pammy. But I was more fortunate, they did it by lap and I went home that afternoon. Now I don't know if it was because I had been in such pain, or that 8 or 9 months before I had cancer and a hysterectomy but I had my surgery on Friday, went to the store with my hubby on Saturday, drove to the mall myself and shopped on Sunday and surprised my boss and all the kids in the band by showing up for work on Monday. There was a set of twins that played clarinet in the band and their dad did the surgery. He had suggested I take two weeks off so I told them not to rat me out. But when I went for the 1 week visit they had. I did, of course, follow all his other advice about straining, lifting, vacuuming, etc. I felt good but I was not taking any chances.
    I hope that this turns out to be nothing or at least noncancer. While gallbladder surgery isn't great, it beats cancer by a mile. And then there are cysts and other things. My prayers are that this turns out okay. I am sure you said before, but what symptoms are you having?
    WHat your doctor said is probably valid, but who wants either a new cancer, a recurrence or a different cancer. I sure didn't and I know you didn't either. We're done, mark us paid in full.
    Stef
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options

You & NED make a wonderful couple!!!!
    Jeanne,
    So HAPPY for your news - sorry you got that flu - just what you didn't need!!
    You are always in my prayers - take care & keep dancing!!
    much love,
    Jenny

JEANNE
    Whew (wiping hand across forehead!), I am so glad to see you post! Like so many others, my imagination went into overdrive also. Good thing we didn't start a post "so, what do you think happened?" about you! I am glad to hear that your post was with good news. Though sorry to hear about the flu (I have a thermonitor in my mouth as I type). I have been down also, but don't know if from surgery (body already weakened prior), the Tamoxifen, or I am getting the flu. With hotflashes.....how do you know if you have a fever? My biggest fear is vomiting and tearing all my internal abdominal stitches....ugghhh. So I am going to adapt your attitude and think positive!! Glad to see you back. Sending many cyber hugs. (OK, I think thermonitor is broke.....it says 96.2 degrees? I'm hot, not cold. Going to find another one that works!) Pammy
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Jeanne
    I know of a few people who have gotten sicker than dogs right after they got the flu shot. I believe some of them actually GIVE you the flu! Hope you feel better soon and your Cat Scan brings you more news of NED!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Sick after flu shot
    I have also seen some people get very sick after getting the flu shot, so, I really do think it can happen. I am glad you are feeling better. Your tests so far sound really good Jeanne. I am happy for you. So I will keep praying that your Cat Scan will be good too and those cysts benign! Keep us posted! And, I love your little colored hearts floating!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Sick after flu shot
    I have also seen some people get very sick after getting the flu shot, so, I really do think it can happen. I am glad you are feeling better. Your tests so far sound really good Jeanne. I am happy for you. So I will keep praying that your Cat Scan will be good too and those cysts benign! Keep us posted! And, I love your little colored hearts floating!

Hugs, Diane ♥

Testing again
    Testing again

Why isn't this working?

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Jeanne
    Hugz,
    Cathy

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Jadie said:

Good luck
    and a prayer sent your way

Hugs
    Jadie<3</p>

Wishing you good luck!
    So glad to see you back posting Jeanne. We missed you obviously! Congrats on the tests!

I am praying that the rest of your tests are good too and that NED will be back with you!

Please post and let us know when you find the results out!

We all will be waiting anxiously!

Big Hugs to you,

Leeza
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

You & NED make a wonderful couple!!!!
    Jeanne,
    So HAPPY for your news - sorry you got that flu - just what you didn't need!!
    You are always in my prayers - take care & keep dancing!!
    much love,
    Jenny

Jeanne
    Happy that your tests so far are clear of cancer! Praying for that to continue with the rest of your tests! Hoping that you get over the flu soon!

Angie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Jeanne
    Happy that your tests so far are clear of cancer! Praying for that to continue with the rest of your tests! Hoping that you get over the flu soon!

Angie

Feel better soon
    So happy to read that your bone scan was clean. Now praying that your CAT scan will be clean too. Praying for you always!

Kylez ♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

♥Hey, Jeanne, Just a
    ♥Hey, Jeanne, Just a quick note to ditto our sisters' notes. I am happy for your good news and hope that all the rest of your tests are equally good. xoxoxo Lynn♥

I don't know if this is
    I don't know if this is going thru, but, glad to see you back on Jeanne!

And, if it does go thru this time, happy about your results so far. Praying that all of

the rest will be free of cancer too!