New to breast cancer

Options

Comments

• Basils
    Basils Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Did you start yet? How are you feeling? I am going in Monday for my 5th session. I'm on a condensed 3 week schedule where the boost is integrated. I starting feeling fatigue and headaches day 1 which is odd. I asked the doc and he said since I'm receiving more per session I will be fatigued sooner. He also said fatigue, in a smaller population of patients, presents as a headache so that's good to know. Might also be because I'm receiving radiation in the prone (on stomach) position. Let me know how you are doing with your radiation.

• Buddybutton
    Buddybutton Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I haven't started the actual radiation, I went it got my marks and my fitting? I'm on my back, they're doing my left breast area. They said a they'd contact me in 7/10 days which will be monday or so then I'll know when I start, it will be 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

• Basils
    Options

That's a pretty typical schedule. I was able to be a candidate for the condensed 3 week schedule because of age and I have no lymph node invasion. So I get whole breast radiation and also the boost in each session. I did have to ask about it though; they didn't mention the option until then.

• Lisa7673
    Lisa7673 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

How many in all chemo treatments did you have ?

• Basils
    Options

Since my oncotype was sent in so late, I do not know whether I will need chemo or not. I should know this week, but in the meantime started radiation.

• Lisa7673
    Lisa7673 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • Srichard
    Srichard Member Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Hi. My lumpectomy was really easy, my Dr was excellent. I went home the same day with very little discomfort. I do have a scar, but it is barely noticeable. No they did not take a wedge, but a line. The healing went great, they actually had a hard time finding the scar when I started radiation.

I was very nervous about the surgery, but it honestly was not bad at all. Just be sure to get a very comfortable bra without underwire. I'm sure they will tell you that though. You definitely want to make sure it's comfortable no matter how it looks πŸ˜‚

Best of luck to you and I hope all goes well with your surgery.πŸ™

• Srichard
    Options

Good morning. I really didnt have too much of a problem with appetite, ate a lot of salads and fruit. Didnt seem to want a lot of heavy goods.

Also, not sure if anyone has heard of Enterade, but it helped me a great deal. I ordered it off Amazon and I would encourage everyone to just read up on it. A little pricey, but man it really helped with the upset stomach. Also just remembered the liquid I V really helped as well. Also on Amazon and comes in a lot of flavors, great for helping you stay hydrated.

Have a great day all!❀️

• marlakeeth
    marlakeeth Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I have not posted in a bit, Had my port placed 10 days ago, 7/10/2023 and last week they tried to flush my port, but NOTHING! The chemo nurse tried again yesterday 7/27/2023and could flush but no blood returned. Can not start Chemo because of this. So in a few days have an appt with the IR Doc who put the port in to see what needs to be done. Putting in a new port sounds uncomfortable as the first one!

I have triple-negative breast cancer and very few options, chemo is the option for now.

Thanks for your input!

• Sadiej
    Sadiej Member Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Hi marlakeeth

Sometimes ports can be fussy. The last time I had chemo mine was like that but they managed to clean it out finally.

Sorry to hear you have triple negative. You're correct the only choice right now is chemo or nothing. That's what Claoh and I talk about under "Choices". We are both triple negatives and she is not going to get treatment while I am getting treatment. Love to have you say hello on that board.

I'd say welcome, but it's kind of crappy that you even have to be here. The problem with triple negative is that there's not much research because it is so rare. My triple negative metastasized to both my lymph nodes and brain. I was diagnosed in April of this year.

Anyway, you're more than welcome to come join us. We are trying to get a board that is open to triple negatives so they can see what all is involved and make their own decisions on how they want to proceed. So far it's just Claoh and me but we welcome others to share what they are going through. Hopefully this leaves a path behind us for others who may be searching.

Again welcome to the boards.

• Buddybutton
    Options

I started my radiation have been for a week now, Today starts my second week.So far no side effects 🀞 It's nice having somewhere to discuss what's going on with others who understand.

• Basils
    Options

I just finished my last radiotherapy! I did a 3 week condensed schedule because I wanted to be done before the school year started as I'm a teacher. So each time I receive more radiation per session and a small boost on all 15 sessions and now I'm done! Skin is mostly more tan in one area and a little overall redness. No other side effects. We will see how my skin heals in the next couple weeks.

• BeeRob
    BeeRob Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh!! I'm watching this right now!!! It's GREAT!!!! :) :)

• mssdebdeb
    mssdebdeb Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I was diagnosed with Triple Neg Breast Cancer on June 6th. I just had a lumpectomy on the 4th of August. Waiting for the plan on treatment. Anyone have words on this?

• Sadiej
    Sadiej Member Posts: 138 Member
    edited August 2023 #76
    Options

• Srichard
    Options

Good morning everyone. Have not posted in a while, but really had this on my heart this morning. I have now completed my chemo and radiation. Had a follow up mammogram a few weeks ago and all was good! I am finally starting to feel like I can take a breath and starting to feel like my old self. Even getting my gym schedule back on track. I say all of this to say for anyone who is just starting this unfortunate journey, there is an actual light at the end of the tunnel. Although it may not seem like it at times, it will get better (I hope anyway). Just hang in there and lean on your support system whenever you feel you need it. Hopefully you have one 🀞 Again, I just wanted to pop in to say hello and to let you all know you are in my prayers and wishing the best for you ❀️🌹πŸ’ͺ

• Buddybutton
    Options

Thank you so for the update. I just finished my radiation. Will say it was much easier than chemo lol.My mastectomy scars still tend to tighten up so my massage therapist gave me exercises to help with that so all's well so far. Colonoscopy next month if that's clear this time I'm good to go and hopefully done with this saga in my life.Lots of hugs πŸ˜πŸ’–

• Srichard
    Options

So glad to hear you are nearing the end your "journey" and praying that all goes well with your colonoscopyπŸ™

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I pray your treatments went well, and you are cancer free!

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

No one likes losing their hair! As soon as mine started falling out, I had my head shaved and got some cute scarves and hats, as well as a wig. Remember it's temporary!