New to breast cancer

Options

Comments

• angelas01
    angelas01 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Hi, going to radiation, driving, and getting undressed/dressed took the longest. Treatment took very few minutes and I felt no pain during the treatment. I was surprised. The port was not used. I say it took approximately 15 minutes. The staff was so friendly and caring.

• marlakeeth
    marlakeeth Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options

No, chemo to shrink the tumors, once every 3 weeks for 12 weeks, which means chemo times 4 infusions.

Then a different chemo treatment, once every 3 weeks for 12 weeks, which is another 4 infusion. Then MRI to check to see if the chemo worked and then surgery and then radiation. No radiation is needed if a mastectomy is done. Chemo kills every cancer and shrinks the tumors, so if a lumpectomy is done, it is breast tissue conserving.

• angelas01
    Options

You Got This!! You/We are a Pink Warrior!! Stay Positive

• Lisa7673
    Lisa7673 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for the information my pink πŸ’— sister

• angelas01
    Options
  • Srichard
    Srichard Member Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Please do not apologize, you feel free to ask as many questions as you want! We are all here to help each other.

I did have the lumpectomy in December, then started the chemo in February. I had a couple of delays for starting radiation due to family issues. The lumpectomy "should" also be very smooth, I was able to go home the same day.

Any other question....PLEASE feel free to ask😊

• Lisa7673
    Options
  • jpallone
    jpallone Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I'm confused. I am to start anastrasole tonight . When I type it in the computer, Verzenio comes up. That I'm supposed to start after radiation in about 6 weeks. My doctor didn't explain that these drugs are the same. Anyone can help with this situation? Thanks.

• Srichard
    Options

Hi Jpallone. I googled Verzenio and it almost looks like it is to be taken in conjunction with Anastrasloe, but I'm not sure. Before starting I would definitely call your Dr if you have any questions just so you are not second guessing anything. All of that "Dr Speak" can be confusing for sure.

Do you have the option of sending messages online? If so I would do so right away.

Good luck to you 🌹

• Buddybutton
    Buddybutton Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Ok so I got all my sharpie marks yesterday. Hearing all the extra problems the radiation can cause is rather frightening. When he said pneumonia...hubby died of pneumonia. I watched that, not a fan. Oh well I know you do what you have to do but boy you ain't gotta like it.πŸ˜‚

• Srichard
    Options

Good morning. I know all the possible effects they throw out with radiation are scary, but I think it really is as a precaution. I finish up my 4 weeks on Friday and I honestly had no issues at all. The treatments are really quick, honestly takes more time to get positioned than the actual treatment. There is a little tenderness after, but not bad at all. I know everyone's may be different and it probably depends on the exact area being treated.

Also so sorry to hear about your husband, that had to be hard to watch. I honestly think you will be fine though.

You are entitled to your feelings. You are right, it all SUCKS, but you do what you gotta do πŸ’ͺ

Good luck and hope all goes well with your radiation 🌷

• Buddybutton
    Options

Thanks Srichard, it's always reassuring to hear from someone who's been there done thatπŸ˜€.I know the motto get on and get done lol. Soonest started soonest finished.Then the gym and the pool.Right now that's my short term bucket list lol

• Lisa7673
    Options

Good morning I am going on the 3rd treatment of chemo so far good except I have no appetite I drink lots of water and naked juice also ensure is it any medication the Dr. Can give me to help me eat ?

• Buddybutton
    Options

Honestly I don't know if there's a pill for appetite. If you are in a state where marijuana is legal for medical reasons get some edibles.

• Lisa7673
    Options

Thank you and it's legal here in New Jersey so I will ask my Dr.🩷

• marlakeeth
    Options

what was your lumpectomy like? scar? did they take a wedge of your breast or just a line? How is you healing going?

• marlakeeth
    Options

good morning! another day shines bright.

I had my port placed last Monday, and found out that the second lump discovered via MRI, was negative! Happy really happy about that. Will start my first chemo this Wednesday the 19th. Hope all goes well. Everyone has told me to take Imodium for diarrhea before chemo and for a few days afterward to prevent diarrhea. Any thoughts?

The port site is healing but stinging every now and then. Anyone else have anything like this?

Full of questions today.😎

thanks

• Buddybutton
    Options

Mine has been in since right after Valentines day and it still stings every once in awhile.I could have it out since I finished my chemo but since this is the 2nd one I've had to have placed I've decided to wait till after my colonoscopy which i'll have done after my radiation is finished.Questions are a good thing πŸ˜€

• marlakeeth
    Options
  • Buddybutton
    Options

First time was after my colon cancer diagnosis back in January of 22. I had it removed in October of 22 when I finished chemo.Then was diagnosed with breast cancer in December had it put back in the end of January of 23.Started chemo again finished this past June. Oncologist said "lets get that out" and I said nope, wait till after my next colonoscopy (might be a bit pessimistic 🀣) but with my run of luck I'll wait.