What do we have in common - revised questions

Options

Comments

• pascotty
    pascotty Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
    CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY BEING A FINGERNAIL BITER WOULD IMPACT GETTING CANCER? I ASKED THIS A MONTH AGO AND DID NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

IF ME AND OR MY SPOUSE ARE HPV + COULD CONTINUING ORAL SEX CAUSE A RE OCCURRANCE OF CANCER IN ME?

I NEVER SMOKED BUT MY SURGEON SAID ABSOLUTELY NO CONTACT WITH SECONDHAND SMOKE IN A CLOSED ROOM. MY SON SMOKES IN THE GARAGE, COULD ME PASSING IN AND OUT OF THIS DWELLING BE HARMFULL?

MY DOC SAYS HE WOULD PREFER FOR ME TO STOP DRINKING ALL TOGETHER, BUT IS NOT AS CONCERNED AS THIS AS HE IS WITH THE SECOND HAND SMOKE. I DRANK QUITE ALLOT FOR ALLOT OF YEARS, MY CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS AND KIDS SPORTING EVENTS SEEMED TO HAVE DRINKING INVOLVED. ARE AFEW BEERS OR A COCK TAIL OR TWO REALLY GOING TO CAUSE A RE OCCURANCE?

MIKE

Not sure
    Not sure about the nail biting. Someone asked me to add it so I did. I am was a smoker drinker. I don't drink anymore maybe one or two beers every now and then. I have a ciggy every now and then also. Had too many changes too quick. Did apricot kernels for two months. Had a break during and after treatment. Back on them now. Only five a day.
    When I was diagnosed with tonsil c I thought okay you probably deserve that. Then I look around the footy club. Everyone smoking drinking older than me. Heavier drinkers and smokers than me. Then. It is like why me. The hpv makes so much more sense for smokers and non smokers. My natural mother died at 44 yo and I remember he sinuses being really swollen and she could only have mashed food. I would love to know what she actually died of cause that is young to be alcohol related. As she was an alcoholic. Maybe she was hpv + also. That was twenty years ago now and I wish when I met her for that one week I asked more questions (as I was adopted) This is starting to seem like an epedemic as it is more and more prevelant. It seems like there is someone diagnosed every day xxx
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
    CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY BEING A FINGERNAIL BITER WOULD IMPACT GETTING CANCER? I ASKED THIS A MONTH AGO AND DID NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

IF ME AND OR MY SPOUSE ARE HPV + COULD CONTINUING ORAL SEX CAUSE A RE OCCURRANCE OF CANCER IN ME?

I NEVER SMOKED BUT MY SURGEON SAID ABSOLUTELY NO CONTACT WITH SECONDHAND SMOKE IN A CLOSED ROOM. MY SON SMOKES IN THE GARAGE, COULD ME PASSING IN AND OUT OF THIS DWELLING BE HARMFULL?

MY DOC SAYS HE WOULD PREFER FOR ME TO STOP DRINKING ALL TOGETHER, BUT IS NOT AS CONCERNED AS THIS AS HE IS WITH THE SECOND HAND SMOKE. I DRANK QUITE ALLOT FOR ALLOT OF YEARS, MY CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS AND KIDS SPORTING EVENTS SEEMED TO HAVE DRINKING INVOLVED. ARE AFEW BEERS OR A COCK TAIL OR TWO REALLY GOING TO CAUSE A RE OCCURANCE?

MIKE

Some answers
    Mike

The 'survey' is trying to ascertain any common links we all have. Fingernail biting may have some effect as unfriendly bacteria is frequently introduced to the mouth as a result of this difficult habit. It was longer shot perhaps but worth a look at as we search for a common list of causes. Perhaps a less obvious few lifestyle occurrences may somehow help unravel this mystery. I was thinking of another one being 'How many of us handled fuel and or chemicals'. I grew up on a farm so had my hands in Diesel or Petrol every other day, and more recently I handled fuel for mowers, trimmers, boats and aircraft, getting more than my fair share of fumes and spills on me than a once a fortnight trip to a gas station.

As for the drinking alcohol, unfortunately there is nothing good about it and it is bad for you and especially us as it does increase the risk of cancer. There are the big points like 'cirrhosis' of the liver stomach issues blah blah ... but when you study the metabolism of alcohol and some of the pathogens created and also the depletion of critical nutrients from alcohol consumption and their effects including DNA alterations, you get the bigger picture. Drinking less is just using smaller bullets while playing Russian Roulette. Hate to be party pooper, but these are just the facts (see PDF in link below).

All cigarette smoke is bad. The more exposure, the worst the effect. While I don't think you need a Space suit to pass through the garage, I think it is inconsiderate of any smoker to pollute a contained area or room where others have to use. I have 2 little kids, anyone who tries to smoke anywhere in our place gets ungraciously tossed out.

Regds
    Scam

Alcohol and Cancer
    http://www.sge-ssn.ch/fileadmin/pdf/700-veranstaltungen_ausbildung/20-archiv_sge_veranstaltungen/10a-alcohol_and_health_an_update/Abstract_Seitz.pdf
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

1 or 2 answers
    well Mike, all I know is my husband smoked for about 20 years, drank moderately for about 15 & in construction around 25 years ( carpenter ). his ENT said no more smoking, avoid second hand especially, not so concerned with drinking,no working with chemically treated lumber or renovating historical homes (his fav)due to the materials used back in the day like lead based paint etc. his 'C' was VERY AGGRESSIVE.

hope that helps some

YES IT DOES
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. I MANAGE THE BUSINESS SO I WOULD RARELY COME INTO CONTACT WITH HAZARDOUS MATERIALS. MY COMPANY PROVIDES SCAFFOLING SERVICES TO THE POWER AND REFINERY INDUSTRY. THERE ARE A LOT OF NO GOOD SUBTANCES IN THESE PLANTS, BUT WHEN I VISIT, IT IS USUALLY TO MY CLIENTS OFFICES OR OUR ON SITE JOB TRAILERS. I HAVE WONDERED IF EVEN LIMITED EXPOSURE MAY HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO MY CANCER.

BEST

MIKE
  • luv4lacrosse
    Options
    zinniemay said:

Nail biter
    I think Nail biting is something they might think of because of Nail Polish and things like the chemicals in to? Or maybe not good cleaning under the nail? I am not sure I was puzzled at that one.

Second hand smoke Is not good for anyone at all. The smoke when exhaled still has the same chemials (Again Chemicals).

Dranking I think has more to do with the alcohol I would think that would burn the linning of your throat.

Oral sex , That I wonder about too. Since my husband 's doctor said that they did not check for HPV since he did not smoke drank or any of the things that would cause that type of cancer they concider his to be H.P.V. Now here is something I tossed around in my head . This is hard personal thing. My father died of Head and Neck cancer his mother died of Ovarian cancer, My husband's mother died of Ovarian cancer. So Could our sexual partenership play a role in his cancer. Like to people who are born from carriers have the cells that when inact cause this to activate? You may laugh or thinkk this is funny but I wonder . We had friends who married he had cancer Leukemia, he was winning they had two children he died, then She got a rare form of Leukemia and she died . I wonder if the fact their body fluids and her getting pregant may have had a hidden part in it. Sorry I am not really good at explaining this.
    My husband thinks because two maybe three years ago he had a mole cut off his back that it set off his immune system and it failed him.
    Who knows the answers . But always looking for clues , that do not set off mass fears .

Jennie

NO LAUGHINGMATTER AT ALL
    Jennie, thanks so much for the input. We really have to look at everything and study / evaluate everything that crosses our lives as one really cannot pinpoint exactly what risk factor and or genetic predisposition we have.

Regarding the HPV, people say most of the worlds population may be harboring this and others say it is strictly a sexually transmitted virus. Personally I think HPV is allot like Staph. It is around everywhere and can lay dormant and be a trigger to cause many different things.

I do not know, but have quickly learned to keep an open mind about this. I hope the next 5-10 years of research will tell us allot.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

MIKE
  • luv4lacrosse
    Options
    pascotty said:

Not sure
    Not sure about the nail biting. Someone asked me to add it so I did. I am was a smoker drinker. I don't drink anymore maybe one or two beers every now and then. I have a ciggy every now and then also. Had too many changes too quick. Did apricot kernels for two months. Had a break during and after treatment. Back on them now. Only five a day.
    When I was diagnosed with tonsil c I thought okay you probably deserve that. Then I look around the footy club. Everyone smoking drinking older than me. Heavier drinkers and smokers than me. Then. It is like why me. The hpv makes so much more sense for smokers and non smokers. My natural mother died at 44 yo and I remember he sinuses being really swollen and she could only have mashed food. I would love to know what she actually died of cause that is young to be alcohol related. As she was an alcoholic. Maybe she was hpv + also. That was twenty years ago now and I wish when I met her for that one week I asked more questions (as I was adopted) This is starting to seem like an epedemic as it is more and more prevelant. It seems like there is someone diagnosed every day xxx

IN SEARCH OF THE UNKNOWN
    I agree with the "why me VS others" but do not worry about that anymore. At the beginning I would look at allot of my employees who are 2 pack a day smokers, at the tavern each day after work, a couple of 30 packs every weekend and they have no disease what so ever. My mom smoked for 55 years and was an alcoholic, and she has never had a cancer scare. I have talked with her about this in detail. All the years of having regular check ups and cancer was never an issue.

I look at this as my cancer "is what it is" and would now rather look forward to see how the research pans out as my medical team says they are only scrathing the surface of the whole HPV thing.

This is so new to my Doc, as when he restaged me from Stage 4 1B to Stage 4 2B he now will not put a percentage to my survivorship as he says there is not enough solid research on the 2B part. On the 1B part, the Washington University Medical Complex in St. Louis where I am being treated collaborates with the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale AZ as they say they have probably the most extensive collection of research available and is only 5-7 years of study at best.

Scary thing, but the research is growing.

Mike
  • luv4lacrosse
    Options

Some answers
    Mike

The 'survey' is trying to ascertain any common links we all have. Fingernail biting may have some effect as unfriendly bacteria is frequently introduced to the mouth as a result of this difficult habit. It was longer shot perhaps but worth a look at as we search for a common list of causes. Perhaps a less obvious few lifestyle occurrences may somehow help unravel this mystery. I was thinking of another one being 'How many of us handled fuel and or chemicals'. I grew up on a farm so had my hands in Diesel or Petrol every other day, and more recently I handled fuel for mowers, trimmers, boats and aircraft, getting more than my fair share of fumes and spills on me than a once a fortnight trip to a gas station.

As for the drinking alcohol, unfortunately there is nothing good about it and it is bad for you and especially us as it does increase the risk of cancer. There are the big points like 'cirrhosis' of the liver stomach issues blah blah ... but when you study the metabolism of alcohol and some of the pathogens created and also the depletion of critical nutrients from alcohol consumption and their effects including DNA alterations, you get the bigger picture. Drinking less is just using smaller bullets while playing Russian Roulette. Hate to be party pooper, but these are just the facts (see PDF in link below).

All cigarette smoke is bad. The more exposure, the worst the effect. While I don't think you need a Space suit to pass through the garage, I think it is inconsiderate of any smoker to pollute a contained area or room where others have to use. I have 2 little kids, anyone who tries to smoke anywhere in our place gets ungraciously tossed out.

Regds
    Scam

Alcohol and Cancer
    http://www.sge-ssn.ch/fileadmin/pdf/700-veranstaltungen_ausbildung/20-archiv_sge_veranstaltungen/10a-alcohol_and_health_an_update/Abstract_Seitz.pdf

STRAIGHT FORWARD ADVICE
    Scam, I appreciate your "Black and White" approach to your advice. Your are correct, 'it is what it is". We all need to look at it this way. My thought with the nail biting was simillar to yours regarding providing an access path for suspect bacteria. I have also thought about being exposed to (in a very limited basis) hazardous materials via my work. I am a GM for a company that provides scaffolding services to the industrial manufacturing market base. Coal fired Power Plants, Nuke Plants, Refineries, Chemical Plants ETC. My exposure really would be passing through the facilities on my way to client meetings or to attend meeting with my employees in our on site job trailers.

I guess I am getting caught up with all of the "life changes" i am having to make in just the last 30-45 days.

Just like the old NIKE commercial, "JUST DO IT"

Thanks much!!

Mike
  • abbimom
    abbimom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options

More Questions
    Good one Jen,

Was meaning to do this many times. I have put the blank questions in below my answers so people can 'copy n' paste' into their post and added my few and Pam's questions. Maybe be one of the computer wizards can construct a real survey we can do online !!

How old at diagnosis ( 47 )
    Sex ( Male )
    Smoker (10 yrs ago- v. moderate)
    HPV ? (unknown)
    Type of Cancer (SCC - Tonsil)
    Cannabis User ( Long term - Self medication )
    Drinker ( Moderate )
    Ever been serevley sunburned (Yes )
    Eye Colour ( Blue -Grey )
    Skin complexion (Very Fair)
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? (Yep -many)
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( several years) ( Was workaholic for a while)
    Were you tired before diagnosis ( Mmm yes )
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue ( Yes - 10+ yrs)
    Ever subconciously worried about getting cancer ( Probably)
    Obese (No - maybe 10-15lbs above lean)
    Fingernail biter ? ( Yes -since a kid)
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? ( Fair to Good)
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? (Yes -30+yrs )
    Diet (Lots of red and other meats but fairly balanced)
    Heritage ( Nordic/Anglo)

COPY & PASTE BELOW INTO YOUR POST

How old at diagnosis ( )
    Sex ( )
    Smoker ( )
    HPV + ( )
    Type Of Cancer ( )
    Cannabis User ( )
    Drinker ( )
    Ever been serevley sunburned ( )
    Eye Color ( )
    Skin complexion ( )
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? ( )
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) ( )
    Were you tired before diagnosis ( )
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue ( )
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer ( )
    Obese (Y/N)
    Fingernail biter ? ( )
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? ( )
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? ( )
    Diet (Vegetarian >> Carnivore)
    Heritage ( )

COPY & PASTE BELOW INTO YOUR
    COPY & PASTE BELOW INTO YOUR POST

How old at diagnosis ( 21)
    Sex (f )
    Smoker ( no)
    HPV + ( unknown)
    Type Of Cancer (tongue cancer )
    Cannabis User ( no)
    Drinker (usual college kid)
    Ever been serevley sunburned ( yes)
    Eye Color ( hazel)
    Skin complexion (pale )
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? (no )
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) (yes 2years )
    Were you tired before diagnosis ( no)
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue (no )
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer ( no
    Obese (Y/N)
    Fingernail biter ? ( yes)
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? ( great)
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? (now i do )
    Diet (Vegetarian >> Carnivore)
    Heritage ( )
  • rt29781
    rt29781 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Spouse getting cancer from partner
    When my wife was diagnosed with scchn and found to be HPV positive I did a lot of research. At the time I had had a raging sore throat for weeks. I found a paper on a New York couple who both had the exact same strain of cancer (SCCHN) derived from HPV 16. I checked with my doctor and he confirmed I could be at risk. I then saw an oncologist who monitored me for 3 months. My sore throat continued for six months. I am now ok but still at risk. There are also cases of a wife having cervical cancer (HPV) and the husband getting SCCHN. I personally think it is down to how well the immune system copes.
  • zinniemay
    zinniemay Member Posts: 522
    Options

NO LAUGHINGMATTER AT ALL
    Jennie, thanks so much for the input. We really have to look at everything and study / evaluate everything that crosses our lives as one really cannot pinpoint exactly what risk factor and or genetic predisposition we have.

Regarding the HPV, people say most of the worlds population may be harboring this and others say it is strictly a sexually transmitted virus. Personally I think HPV is allot like Staph. It is around everywhere and can lay dormant and be a trigger to cause many different things.

I do not know, but have quickly learned to keep an open mind about this. I hope the next 5-10 years of research will tell us allot.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

MIKE

No laughing matter
    Mike,
    I do not know how to use many words I know how to speak them but writing them is not easy for me. I like you think it is like Staph or a Staph infection may have trigger H.V.P. I think about this allot looking for anything or way to help my husband. He is my husband and my best friend. 36 years. So I don't think any ideal no matter how far fetched it sounds can be ruled out . Many women wear nail polish, some bit their nails. So could be a chemical in the polish .
    We did ask the doctor who said that they thought Greg's cancer was cause by the H.V.P. why
    This is what he said Greg's mother died of Ovarian cancer, that they think she passed a gene along to him . We said but why did it take so long? Doctor said good question. He is not sure. He said could be anything , Greg could have had a cold or flu and his immune system was down enough to cause the gene to do it's thing. I just keep reading and looking for anything that would answer these questions. I don't know what else I can do.
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    rt29781 said:

Spouse getting cancer from partner
    When my wife was diagnosed with scchn and found to be HPV positive I did a lot of research. At the time I had had a raging sore throat for weeks. I found a paper on a New York couple who both had the exact same strain of cancer (SCCHN) derived from HPV 16. I checked with my doctor and he confirmed I could be at risk. I then saw an oncologist who monitored me for 3 months. My sore throat continued for six months. I am now ok but still at risk. There are also cases of a wife having cervical cancer (HPV) and the husband getting SCCHN. I personally think it is down to how well the immune system copes.

The treatment only kills cancer cells not HPV!!!!!
    I strongly feel now that HPV is the culprit. My question is how fast did the cells proliferate and develop into cancer. I'm a nurse and some of my medical friends say that it couldn't have developed over 6 months; it had to develop over years. Look at cervical cancer it's the same thing. Tumors don't grossly develop in the cervix over 6 months. My next scare is that yes i hope and pray to beat this cancer; but I'm still single with no kids. Was engaged twice but didn't pan out. Now I have to tell future women that I meet that I have HPV and I could possibly give it to her and it may turn into to cancer. Who in there right mind wouldn't turn and run. You guys are so lucky that you have partners and are already in relationships and have kids. I wish the stupid doctors never told me about HPV! Yes I know that most likely people who have had multiple sex partners already have HPV; but like us if they weren't diagnosed with they will deny having it. Hopefully, I will be able to meet a woman who is understanding/and or would be willing to take the vaccine! It's crazy I should be happy to having a fighting chance at beating this cancer; but I'm more afraid of dying alone. :( What's the sense of beating cancer if you have to grow old alone!!!!!!!!! I don't want to offend anyone, but this sucks, I wish I would have listened to my black friends and never participated in oral sex!!!!
  • zinniemay
    zinniemay Member Posts: 522
    Options

The treatment only kills cancer cells not HPV!!!!!
    I strongly feel now that HPV is the culprit. My question is how fast did the cells proliferate and develop into cancer. I'm a nurse and some of my medical friends say that it couldn't have developed over 6 months; it had to develop over years. Look at cervical cancer it's the same thing. Tumors don't grossly develop in the cervix over 6 months. My next scare is that yes i hope and pray to beat this cancer; but I'm still single with no kids. Was engaged twice but didn't pan out. Now I have to tell future women that I meet that I have HPV and I could possibly give it to her and it may turn into to cancer. Who in there right mind wouldn't turn and run. You guys are so lucky that you have partners and are already in relationships and have kids. I wish the stupid doctors never told me about HPV! Yes I know that most likely people who have had multiple sex partners already have HPV; but like us if they weren't diagnosed with they will deny having it. Hopefully, I will be able to meet a woman who is understanding/and or would be willing to take the vaccine! It's crazy I should be happy to having a fighting chance at beating this cancer; but I'm more afraid of dying alone. :( What's the sense of beating cancer if you have to grow old alone!!!!!!!!! I don't want to offend anyone, but this sucks, I wish I would have listened to my black friends and never participated in oral sex!!!!

HVP
    The doctor told us that they did not do a test for HVP, becuae, my husband met all the requirments , None smoker none dranker , and so on. Not I know that My husband had no other sexual relations other than me. I can say that 100% . But His mother died of Ovarian cancer , the doctor said that my husband could have had this since birth and something set it off, I don't know that he was ever sick but I do know he took a job that stressed him so bad , that he had to return to his old job. So the Stress could have weaken his immune system? I do not know the answers either and struggle with it. As my father died from head and neck cancer ,, I wonder if we passed something thru to each other?
    Who knows we all struggle to find answers.
    I will tell you that for someone who loves you having HVP would have no bearing on it. Or in my book I would not worry so much about that. All have a fighting chance at this cancer.
    Peace be with you
    Jennie
  • Silver_Foxette
    Silver_Foxette Member Posts: 130
    Options
    *survey*.......good luck ! Sincerly, Roxanne
    How old at diagnosis (54 )
    Sex (F )
    Smoker (Y/N stopped smoking 11 yrs ago ,was at 3 pk a day )
    HPV + (?..I see my ENT in a few weeks I will ask )
    Type Of Cancer (vocalcord)
    Cannabis User (Y )
    Drinker (not much ...havent had a drink or any type of smoke for 11 yrs.)
    Ever been serevley sunburned (once at age 14)
    Eye Color (hazel )
    Skin complexion (medium/ I have Indian blood line so I tan very dark )
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? (N )
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) (I don't believe so ...and if I was I was in denial )
    Were you tired before diagnosis (N.. not really )
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue (N )
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer (Never )
    Obese (Y/N)10 yrs ago I had Gastric Bypass Surgery,I lost 185 #'s I weighted in at 347 !
    Fingernail biter ? ( N..never)
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? (fair ...due to severe arthritis starting at age 24 )
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? (Y..)
    Diet (Vegetarian >> Carnivore)* carnivore
    Heritage (American Indian/c )
    I SHOULD ALSO ADD THAT I HAD STAGE 3 CERVICAL CANCER IN 1980 AT AGE 25...TOTAL HYSTERCTOMY {WAS TOLD SO,BUT A FEW MONTHS AGO A NON CANCEROUS MASS WAS FOUND WRAPPED AROUND MY F-TUBE AND OVERY ? I WAS SHOCKED ! I ALWAYS WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY !!! * I NEVER HAD CHEMO FOR EITHER CANCERS ,BUT I DID HAVE 33 RADS FOR V-CORD CANCER...IT DID NOT WORK SO THATS WHEN I HAD MY {TOTAL} LARYNGECTOMY 15mo.AGO }
    ‹ Constant fatigue FYI - The cancer treatments only kills cancer cells; not hpv!!!!!

add ons:
    Ever participate in oral sex? (yes)* I ask my Oncologest at 1st visit after DX if having oral sex would have caused this ? It was something I had just read about in a Readers Digest ! {Oh , did I mention my daughters who are in their mid 30's had to be peeled away from their hiding spots ? They had NO IDEA mama was going to ask "such" a question ! LOL *we find some humor in it now ;-D but I have been ask to PLEASE let them know BEFORE I ever ask such a question ..my answer to that is NOT !!! LOL ... it was a priceless look ! BUT ..Onco said that type of cancer is found more in males and VERY VERY VERY active woman with muliple sex partners....Has an immediate family member had cancer? Your type? (N )
    Nutritious diet before dx? (usually no)
    Exercise regularly before dx? (usually no)
    Ever had a mole removed? (no)
    Signs/symptoms before diagnosis? (I was being treated for 4 mo for seasonal allergies after being tested...but horseness/raspy voice was getting worse.I insisted on a scope ..allergest found nothing to worry about{his words}..I took it upon self to see a ENT and INSISTED on a scope ASAP ..I has one done ASAP ..same day ! and then a biopsy proved to be cancer on vocalcords .Thank God I was my own advocate ! Allergist was dumb founded when he learned it was cancer.{ I was also DX with singers nodules at age 30 when I noticed a change in deepness of voice { I thought I was just partied out from celebrating turning 30 ..Ent said it was singers noduals and did nothing except told me to relaxe on talking and no raising voice for a few months ! { ok ! so I was a bit of a partier at 30 ;))...}
  • pascotty
    pascotty Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    How did we go
    Not really a lot of common areas. Still got a lot of research to do here xxx
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    pascotty said:

How did we go
    Not really a lot of common areas. Still got a lot of research to do here xxx

I'll Try This
    First it's Nice to See you Silver Foxette, I wondered what happen to you?
    52 male
    smoker y less than a pac, doctors did not point this out to be the cancer reason
    drinker occasional
    Ate Everything
    Weight up and down
    Active
    Blue Eyes
    Blonde
    Worked Out...Going Back to Gym In February...the gym is almost complete
    Worked 24-7 before cancer...life stopped, very fatigued, lost alot of weight and muscle mass
    hair changed in textured, couple of wobbly teeth, was tried with trach twice. fought it, breathing is a choring when it's cold..sitting I am fine
    Love the Sun
    Burn-y-Roasted
    Dennis in TN
  • arjenkins
    arjenkins Member Posts: 36
    Options
    what commonalities are there..... will be interesting to find o
    How old at diagnosis (67 )
    Sex ( M)
    Smoker (N0 )
    HPV + ( unknown)
    Type Of Cancer (stage IV Base of tongue with mets to lymph nodes )
    Cannabis User (No )
    Drinker (socially )
    Ever been serevley sunburned (No )
    Eye Color (Brown )
    Skin complexion (fair/medium )
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? (No )
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) (No )
    Were you tired before diagnosis (Yes...a little )
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue (No )
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer (? )
    Obese (Y/N) overweight but not obese
    Fingernail biter ? (No)
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? (Good )
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? (Yes )
    Diet (Carnivore)
    Heritage (Native American on paternal side and European descent on maternal side)
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    Options
    This if for my dad
    How old at diagnosis (70 )
    Sex (M )
    Smoker ( not at time of diagnosis, smoked only a little about 20 years before )
    HPV + ( not tested )
    Type Of Cancer (tongue )
    Cannabis User ( no )
    Drinker (social )
    Ever been serevley sunburned ( yes )
    Eye Color (green )
    Skin complexion (medium )
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? (yes on arm)
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) (no )
    Were you tired before diagnosis ( yes )
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer (no )
    Obese (Y/N) yes a little
    Fingernail biter ? ( no)
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? ( good )
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? (no )
    Diet (Vegetarian >> Carnivore)carnivore
    Heritage (Irish/German )

‹ Michael Douglas tells Matt Lauer, odds are he's got throat cancer 'beat' How long have you survived › 11 monthes

Pumakitty
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Pumakitty said:

This if for my dad
    How old at diagnosis (70 )
    Sex (M )
    Smoker ( not at time of diagnosis, smoked only a little about 20 years before )
    HPV + ( not tested )
    Type Of Cancer (tongue )
    Cannabis User ( no )
    Drinker (social )
    Ever been serevley sunburned ( yes )
    Eye Color (green )
    Skin complexion (medium )
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? (yes on arm)
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) (no )
    Were you tired before diagnosis ( yes )
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer (no )
    Obese (Y/N) yes a little
    Fingernail biter ? ( no)
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? ( good )
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? (no )
    Diet (Vegetarian >> Carnivore)carnivore
    Heritage (Irish/German )

‹ Michael Douglas tells Matt Lauer, odds are he's got throat cancer 'beat' How long have you survived › 11 monthes

Pumakitty

How old at diagnosis (41
    How old at diagnosis (41 )
    Sex (female )
    Smoker (on and off very light smoker )
    HPV + ( don't think so)
    Type Of Cancer (SCC HNC STAGE IV unknown primary )
    Cannabis User ( a few times as a kid between 16-19 )
    Drinker (very light few times a year )
    Ever been serevley sunburned (not really. )
    Eye Color (dark brown)
    Skin complexion (pale olive )
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? ( no)
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) (yes. Extreme stress. Many years )
    Were you tired before diagnosis (exhausted but I did work 50 plus hrs a week )
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue (not diagnosed but I think I was always exhuasted )
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer (yes, but because of my Fanconis I was told to watch for breast, cervix and ovarian )
    Obese (Y/N) no
    Fingernail biter ? ( no)
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? ( good)
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? ( had acid reflux and swallowing issues)
    Diet (Vegetarian >> Carnivore) I ate everything but ate a lot of veggies. Mediterranian diet
    Heritage ( 1/2 Sicilian 1/4 native American rest French Canadian and Scottish?

Suffered from L'hermittes Syndrome ( ) Mild /Severe & How long. Mild in the last year
    Dry Mouth - Severity (Short term / Long Term) long term severe dry mouth. Left submandular removed
    Loss of Taste - Y/N ? Short term/long term ? Yes taste still isnt great 20 months out
    Participated in Oral sex (yes)

My additional huge and enormous cancer factor: Fanconi Anemia
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

Keep them coming - great responses
    I will either do a spreadsheet or I am trying to find a Free online Survey we can send the link and people can then anonymously fill in information but even this data here is interesting. If everyone on our board can fill in the above, that would be great and we can send results to our Doctors. Can the next person add another few items & if folks can 'edit' and add these in:

Suffered from L'hermittes Syndrome ( ) Mild /Severe & How long.
    Dry Mouth - Severity (Short term / Long Term)
    Loss of Taste - Y/N ? Short term/long term ?

& in Johns suggestion - maybe optional but :

Participated in Oral Sex ?

Tx Jen + all who have posted.
    Scam

Double post
    Double post
  • mwellsg
    mwellsg Member Posts: 66
    Options
    New guy
    Can't answer what kind, will find out next week. But here's the rest:

How old at diagnosis ( ). 61
    Sex ( ). M
    Smoker ( ). Started at 10, quit 8 years ago, but used Commit lozenges since
    HPV + ( ). Don't know
    Type Of Cancer ( ) don't know, I think squamous type, mass at base of tongue, metastasis to r lymph nodes
    Cannabis User ( ). Yes, a lot, a long time ago
    Drinker ( ) yes, fair amount a long time ago, now just a beer or two
    Ever been serevley sunburned ( ) going to say no because of the word severely
    Eye Color ( ) brown
    Skin complexion ( ) dark
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? ( ) no
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) ( ). Yes when I got divorced
    Were you tired before diagnosis ( ). Not "tired", but I workout and was wondering why my workouts were not the same
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue ( ). No
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer ( ). No.
    Obese (Y/N). N. Fit, strong
    Fingernail biter ? ( ). No
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? ( ). Like an Ox, most people think I'm in my late forties
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? ( ). I did once, a very long time ago,
    Diet (Vegetarian >> Carnivore). Carnivore but radically changing diet as I write this; supplement freak
    Heritage ( ). Italian
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    the lowdown
    How old at diagnosis (61)
    Sex (M)
    Smoker (Y)Quit 25 years ago
    HPV + (y )
    Type Of Cancer (SCC Bot )
    Cannabis User ( y)
    Drinker ( y)
    Ever been serevley sunburned ( y)
    Eye Color ( brm)
    Skin complexion ( dark)
    Ever had Skin Cancer ? ( n)
    Ever been Stressed for a long period of time ( years) (n )
    Were you tired before diagnosis (n )
    Have you had Chronic Fatigue ( n)did though for many months during and after treatment
    Ever subconsciously worried about getting cancer ( ?)
    Obese (N)
    Fingernail biter ? (n )
    General health prior to Dx. Poor Fair Good ? (Good )
    Suffer from Gastric Reflux/ Stomach ulcers ? (n )
    Diet (omnivore)
    Heritage ( US)