Diagnosed last Monday (Squamous Cell -throat cancer)

Options
167891012»

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Pam M said:

What Now?
    Mike,

Glad to hear from you again here. Sorry to hear things are hard AGAIN. We need to send your cousin Murphy on vacation - or get him to find his own place, so he can get out of your house.

Amazed that drs found something "new" without new tests. Huh?

Glad you already have the PEG is place, so you can put it to good use NOW.

Please know that there are a lot of us pulling for you, and hoping you catch a break.

great
    Pam, what a great post!!! I laughed out loud and it felt gooooooooooooooooooooood! I also agree with everything you said. Thank you.
    God Bless,
    Debbie
  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    writing
    Hi, Mike. I couldn't find the post again where you were wondering how could would go whan you can't talk but I replied to it before. But I have an even better idea, you could use a small white board. No matter what you decide, I'm sure it will all work out.
    God Bless,
    Deb
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Hi everyone,
    Thank you for

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support, friendship and prayers.

We finally got moved this weekend but I was very ill during all of it. If I wasn't carrying something I was passing out.

I had my eleventh radiation treatment today and it was a very frustrating session with the doctors afterwards. While he and another doctor were talking between each other as they were looking at their computer screen, I picked up out of their quiet chatter that they had increased the amount of rads of the treatments and when I questioned them about it they mumbled that they had found "something" in another lymph node.

I was completely stunned, first, for hearing this for the first time and that I had to question them to find this out and secondly, that this increase in the rads have my throat, tongue, inside cheeks and lips very swollen with ulcers everywhere. I cannot drink water without inflicting pain and there is no way that liquid food can go down, everything burns horribly.

This morning I gargled four times with Magic Mouthwash and it did nothing to ease the pain.
    The doctor gave me a bottle of straight Lidocaine.

I had lost the hearing in my right ear after they removed the right lymph node in my neck back in December, but just lately, whenever I swallow, it sends a bolt of pain to my right ear drum. The doctor told me today that when they did the surgery it affected a band of nerves that goes from the jaw up to the ear, and that the radiation is now making it worse.

My question is how can they find "something" in a lymph node now when there has not been any additional tests or scans done since the beginning scans?

I could not understand why I appeared to be reacting and burning so much faster to the radiation treatments than the typical three weeks into the treatments that I have read about here. The last week has been a dramatic increase in burning, swelling, sores and the inability to eat or drink. My lips look like I kissed a hot burner on the stove, they're pretty ugly!

The doctor also said he is thinking about stopping the Erbitux chemo as I have had numerous bad reactions to it and now they give me two bags of Benadryl before they administer the Erbitux in an attempt to stop the bad reactions which comes on like a heart attack.

The latest Erbitux side-affect is that the skin on the ends of all my fingers have started splitting and bleeding, making it near impossible to zip up or button my pants or open a water bottle.

So guys and gals, if there was ever any doubt that "Murphy" was a close relative to me...it's no longer a debate, the vote is in! LOL

I won't have internet until March 2ND, my brother brought over his laptop tonight and he picked up a neighbors internet on his WiFi.

Thank you all again!

Hondo,

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and surgery as well. My prayers are with and for you my friend. If you try to call I must warn you that I can barely get an audible sound out. But if you don't mind a bunch of whimpering grunts please call when your up to it.

Ill try to write again asap!

Your friend

Mike

Hang in there....
    Hi Mike,

Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I pray for you and your children daily. Now I think we all need to say a prayer and get Murphy permanently removed from your life :-)

Please stay strong and keep up the fight, it may not seem like it now but eventually you will start to heal and life will start getting easier. Like everyone else, I wish there was something I could do to help you and your family.

Take good care of yourself and never give up!!! Write again when you have a chance to let us all know how everything is going.

Your friend,

Glenna
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

John
    When the doctor seen it he new there was another problem and through it best to just go in and take care of all of at one time.

All the best to you and the Wife, God be with you

Hondo & Mike
    Sorry for both of your ordeals, I guess we've all come to endure varying levels of pain and discomfort anymore....

You both should at leasy have a pass fpr today though..."It's my birthday". My wife and I decided to take a day off and just hang out together a little.

Tomorrow I have a routine CT, so keep me in your thoughts for good news.

John
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options

I am sorry to hear about
    I am sorry to hear about difficulty walking and the bleeding. I had bad bleeding from ,my mouth too, starting pretty early.

Find that canned food, and get some in you. Keep your strength up. Still praying for you. I started a list by my bed to keep names straight. I have an awful memory anymore!

I have a love hate relationship with my laptop. Though, it is mostly hate. One of these days, it will be in micro-pieces.

Memory loss
    It is called Chemo-Brain. I read about it in a newspaper in San Antonio Texas long ago. Later it will be a good excuse for a myriad of sins :>)
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Hondo & Mike
    Sorry for both of your ordeals, I guess we've all come to endure varying levels of pain and discomfort anymore....

You both should at leasy have a pass fpr today though..."It's my birthday". My wife and I decided to take a day off and just hang out together a little.

John

Birthday
    Hi John

I am glad that even in our pain there is always time to say Happy Birthday, save Mike and I a little cake for wend we get there. And please let us know when you get the CT report, all the best to you my friend
  • Chefdaddy
    Chefdaddy Member Posts: 170
    Options

writing
    Hi, Mike. I couldn't find the post again where you were wondering how could would go whan you can't talk but I replied to it before. But I have an even better idea, you could use a small white board. No matter what you decide, I'm sure it will all work out.
    God Bless,
    Deb

My Friends!
    Hi all my friends,

First, John you're not the only "old" guy around here lol my birthday was Monday and since I can't eat anything I made the kids a big pot of oyster stew and surprised them with fresh Dungeness crabs. They had a blast! I foolishly tried to drink a glass of wine...oh the pain lol.

I had a breakthrough at chemo today, I asked the nurse PA if I could not have the Benadryl as it is on the unsafe drug list for Porphryia, she said the doctor would most likely not agree to do that but a few minutes later she returned and he agreed and was going to give me some other kind of blocker for the Erbitux. I didn't have one side-affect through the whole treatment! Yippie!!!

My problem with looking this way with sores all over my head, blisters on my swollen lips and unable to speak, is that once she knows I have cancer she will file all sorts of motions to get the kids back. I don't think I can deal with that.

My daughter just got approved today as my care provider so she is going to start getting paid for all the hard work she has been doing. She is such a loving sweetheart, I am a very blessed dad.

I don't have enough strength to thank you all directly my friends, so thank you all so very much, I love you all!

Hondo, much pain came from you making laugh so hard, my daughter ran into the kitchen where I'm on my brothers laptop again wanting to know why I was laughing and making painful noises at the same time...lol I really needed the humor today my friend, thank you!

God Bless you all!

Mike
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Hondo & Mike

John

Happy Belated Birthday, John
    Sounds like you and your wife had a good game plan for your birthday. Hope it was great.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

My Friends!
    Hi all my friends,

First, John you're not the only "old" guy around here lol my birthday was Monday and since I can't eat anything I made the kids a big pot of oyster stew and surprised them with fresh Dungeness crabs. They had a blast! I foolishly tried to drink a glass of wine...oh the pain lol.

I had a breakthrough at chemo today, I asked the nurse PA if I could not have the Benadryl as it is on the unsafe drug list for Porphryia, she said the doctor would most likely not agree to do that but a few minutes later she returned and he agreed and was going to give me some other kind of blocker for the Erbitux. I didn't have one side-affect through the whole treatment! Yippie!!!

My problem with looking this way with sores all over my head, blisters on my swollen lips and unable to speak, is that once she knows I have cancer she will file all sorts of motions to get the kids back. I don't think I can deal with that.

My daughter just got approved today as my care provider so she is going to start getting paid for all the hard work she has been doing. She is such a loving sweetheart, I am a very blessed dad.

I don't have enough strength to thank you all directly my friends, so thank you all so very much, I love you all!

Hondo, much pain came from you making laugh so hard, my daughter ran into the kitchen where I'm on my brothers laptop again wanting to know why I was laughing and making painful noises at the same time...lol I really needed the humor today my friend, thank you!

God Bless you all!

Mike

Mike
    Glad Hondo made you hurt. Isn't it worth it, if it's laughing?

Also good to hear your daughter will be paid as a caregiver. Not only helps with finances, but lets her know that someone besides you recognizes her value as a caregiver.
  • Hondo
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

My Friends!
    Hi all my friends,

God Bless you all!

Mike

Daddy Mike

It is good to be able to laugh through our pain, I am glad to hear things are finally starting to look up for you.

Take care my friend
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Salt Water Washes
    Hi Staceya,

I used both hydrogen peroxide and baking soda washes (mouth rinsing), it was still kind of nasty, all I could taste was that it seemed...at one time even water tasted like sweat.

Keep an eye on your Amifostine Injections and Rads...around day 29 or 30 I started getting sever temperature swings...anywhere fro 96.7 - 102.8. I finally stopped the Amifositine so I could wipe out the remaing few rads.......

Good Luck & Good Bless,
    John

Dear John,
    The amifostine is

Dear John,
    The amifostine is finally over..it was rough at times. 8 more rads...itchy itchy neck...etc etc..hanging in there...
  • Hondo
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

My Friends!
    Hi all my friends,

God Bless you all!

Mike

Daddy Mike
    You should have started in on your 4th week of treatment today #16, how are you doing my friend. I got all the tubes and stent pulled out and I tell you I can hit a fly off the sidewalk 5 feet away now. Pluming is clean as a whistle the hydrant might be the same but all working well.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Daddy Mike
    You should have started in on your 4th week of treatment today #16, how are you doing my friend. I got all the tubes and stent pulled out and I tell you I can hit a fly off the sidewalk 5 feet away now. Pluming is clean as a whistle the hydrant might be the same but all working well.

Kodak Moment
    LOL, now doesn't that paint a pretty picture....glad you got it flowin....
  • Chefdaddy
    Chefdaddy Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Kodak Moment
    LOL, now doesn't that paint a pretty picture....glad you got it flowin....

Tired of the pain
    Hi Hondo,

I'm glad the plumbing is working so well! LOL

Today the chemo nurse told me they are going to stop the treatments if I lose anymore weight.
    I was so dizzy when I went to chemo that my daughter had to hold me up.

I lost another 10lbs. over the weekend, I was pretty sick from the liquid food formula due to the iodine content. I'm down to 196lbs now, heck I weighed 235 when I was boxing in high school! My skin looks like a wrinkled elephant.

My throat is so badly cooked that I can't get rid of any of the pain using the Magic mouthwash. It numbs my mouth sores for a little while but that's all. I was able to drink down a cup of cream of celery soup, after my daughter filtered out the celery, but it was horribly painful. My eyes were tearing up as I swallowed.

This has got to be punishment from God for something I did, maybe I ran over a nun and didn't know it...or maybe my ex has learned how to do Voodoo? There's a scary thought! lol

I was told today that I have to log down everything that I ingest and how much.

The chemo nurse looked at my gums today after I complained about the unnecessary pain I'm having to endure because of the sloppy work by the Oral Stooges. She saw how many boils I have where the bone chips are trying to work their way out of the gums. She was concerned that between all the weight loss and the radiations damage that my gums may become infected. She told me she was going to contact the Oral Stooges and see what they are going to do for me.

I'm really glad to hear you are doing better now, Mr. Sharpshooter!

Take care my friend

Mike
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    Options
    new Thread
    Hi Chef,
    It looks like we need to start a new thread on this one because I never can get to the latest and I have to go searching for it. You know it's no big deal, Hollywood does it all the time. You know like Planet of the Apes, In my opinion the worst, sorry to all Charles Heston fans, Maybe we can call it Diagnosed 2 or Chef dad returns or something like that. Gotta keep it catchy though so people will return for more updates on ya!!

Lord bless ya Chef!!!!
    Steve
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Tired of the pain
    Hi Hondo,

I'm glad the plumbing is working so well! LOL

Today the chemo nurse told me they are going to stop the treatments if I lose anymore weight.
    I was so dizzy when I went to chemo that my daughter had to hold me up.

I lost another 10lbs. over the weekend, I was pretty sick from the liquid food formula due to the iodine content. I'm down to 196lbs now, heck I weighed 235 when I was boxing in high school! My skin looks like a wrinkled elephant.

My throat is so badly cooked that I can't get rid of any of the pain using the Magic mouthwash. It numbs my mouth sores for a little while but that's all. I was able to drink down a cup of cream of celery soup, after my daughter filtered out the celery, but it was horribly painful. My eyes were tearing up as I swallowed.

This has got to be punishment from God for something I did, maybe I ran over a nun and didn't know it...or maybe my ex has learned how to do Voodoo? There's a scary thought! lol

I was told today that I have to log down everything that I ingest and how much.

The chemo nurse looked at my gums today after I complained about the unnecessary pain I'm having to endure because of the sloppy work by the Oral Stooges. She saw how many boils I have where the bone chips are trying to work their way out of the gums. She was concerned that between all the weight loss and the radiations damage that my gums may become infected. She told me she was going to contact the Oral Stooges and see what they are going to do for me.

I'm really glad to hear you are doing better now, Mr. Sharpshooter!

Take care my friend

Mike

Steve is right...
    You're right Steve, we do need to start another thread, and I like your ideas about the new subject line, sort of a sequel to the original posting. With the luck Mike has been having lately maybe we need to call it "Murphy's Law - aka Mike's Law"

Mike, I thought we all agreed that we were going to get rid of "Murphy" for you. Guess we'll have to try harder ;-)

Stay strong and keep up the fight. I know we all keep saying things will get better but they don't seem to right now, keep the faith - they WILL get better. I hope the Oral Stooges can fix your gums so you don't get an infection and you don't have anymore pain than you already have been. You and your children are in my prayers daily.

Keep posting and keep your sense of humor. Maybe you can learn voodoo and get even with your wife - LOL

Your friend,
    Glenna