☺RADIATION TREATMENT ☼☼☼ QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS☻

Options

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Why so sorry? Twice?
    Your post does not need to be reread. Why be so defensive? Everyone just wanted to clarify a few things. Don't take it so personal MAJW. Once again, they and I are just trying to stress that experience is great, but, it does not mean that you should follow it. Stick with your doctor's expertise, male or female. OK?

♥ Noel

Not a problem........
    I am not being defensive, simply stating MY opinions and My feelings.......I thought this was what this site was for......again, didn't mean to upset anyone.....
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Not a problem........
    I am not being defensive, simply stating MY opinions and My feelings.......I thought this was what this site was for......again, didn't mean to upset anyone.....

Gawd lol
    Geesh, drop it alreay MAJW.

Kristin ♥
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Yes, What Jeanne Says
    Thanks for making those important and overlooked points, Jeanne. Sometimes, lessons delivered from a soapbox are just what is needed.

touche'... Jeanne... you
    touche'... Jeanne... you rock... and can get on the "soap box" when ever you see fit!

Hugs,

~T
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Personal Experience with Fatigue, Working during Rads
    I myself am/was more drained during and now after rads than during chemo. I worked part-time during chemo, but am sure glad I haven't worked during radiation. I do have to go back on the 14th. Just hoping my energy levels rise. I'm following the advice given by Judy and Mimi and trying to get more exercise.

Keep in mind, though, that I did have chemo, and it's all cumulative. Plus, I got more than the average radiation. Even my surgeon, looking at my chest, remarked, "You got a lot of radiation." (More radiation is exactly what I wanted and needed.)

Most women, I believe, are able to work during radiation. The recommendation I got from a nurse was to schedule rads at the end of my workday, not the beginning.

A woman my husband works
    A woman my husband works with, her name is Lynda. she had the same type of cancer I had IDC. she was working throughout her RADS. She had her's on her lunch hour and came back to work. she works as a secretary. He gave me her phone number and told me she wanted to talk to me about her cancer since we had the same kind, and both had lumpectomies. So, she was tired, but still was able to work since it wasn't a strenuous job.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

A woman my husband works
    A woman my husband works with, her name is Lynda. she had the same type of cancer I had IDC. she was working throughout her RADS. She had her's on her lunch hour and came back to work. she works as a secretary. He gave me her phone number and told me she wanted to talk to me about her cancer since we had the same kind, and both had lumpectomies. So, she was tired, but still was able to work since it wasn't a strenuous job.

I know it must be hard for
    I know it must be hard for bc survivors to work during rads, and, especially chemo, but, it seems a lot on here do and have. I think that is incredible!

Sue :)
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Gawd lol
    Geesh, drop it alreay MAJW.

Kristin ♥

Drop it?
    Again, I thought this site was to express feelings and experiences.....guess I was wrong!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Drop it?
    Again, I thought this site was to express feelings and experiences.....guess I was wrong!

Amazing
    lol

♥ Noel
  • Noel
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I know it must be hard for
    I know it must be hard for bc survivors to work during rads, and, especially chemo, but, it seems a lot on here do and have. I think that is incredible!

Superwomen!
    You are right Sue, for the women that work and go thru chemo and rads, they are super warriors in my book!

♥ Noel
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Thanks for this post
    I will be doing radiation (still have to get my appointment with the radiologist) and I appreciate all the good information in this post.

I have a couple of questions that I would like answered/clarified by those of you who have gone through it:

1. I have heard people list how many weeks they have radiation and I assume this varies based on cancer type, health of the patient and what kind of radiation treatment they receive. Is there an "average" number of weeks that people have gone?

2. I know that radiation is done every weekday and that some people become very tired. Has anyone out there been able to extend their short term disability for the length of the radiation treatment? Although I understand that radiation can't be started until I am healed from my surgery I would like to continue to stay home until I am done with all of my treatments. I know some people work part time or work in the mornings and have their treatments in the afternoon, but that won't work for me because of my husbands (night shift) work schedule.

3. If anyone has had a mastectomy (or bilateral) with radiation I am interested to know how the surgery scar ends up looking after rads are done. Does the "new" skin make the scar less noticable or does it look the same as it did before rads started?

I'm lucky that I won't have to deal with the bra issue during rads but I feel for those of you who must face this problem because of your size (I was a 38DD).

A funny story (at least to me): A few years ago I was trying to figure out what to wear to work one morning. After I got out of the shower I put on my underwear and skirt and was trying to figure out what sweater to wear with my skirt. After trying on a few I did my hair and went to work. It was about an hour after I got to work that I realized I'd forgotten to put on a bra when I was getting dressed. I must have had my mind on something else when I was playing dress up and totally forgot that I wasn't completely ready for work before I walked out the door. I don't think anyone at work noticed, but I stayed at my desk as much as possible that day (and laughed to myself throughout the day).
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Thanks for this post
    I will be doing radiation (still have to get my appointment with the radiologist) and I appreciate all the good information in this post.

I have a couple of questions that I would like answered/clarified by those of you who have gone through it:

1. I have heard people list how many weeks they have radiation and I assume this varies based on cancer type, health of the patient and what kind of radiation treatment they receive. Is there an "average" number of weeks that people have gone?

2. I know that radiation is done every weekday and that some people become very tired. Has anyone out there been able to extend their short term disability for the length of the radiation treatment? Although I understand that radiation can't be started until I am healed from my surgery I would like to continue to stay home until I am done with all of my treatments. I know some people work part time or work in the mornings and have their treatments in the afternoon, but that won't work for me because of my husbands (night shift) work schedule.

3. If anyone has had a mastectomy (or bilateral) with radiation I am interested to know how the surgery scar ends up looking after rads are done. Does the "new" skin make the scar less noticable or does it look the same as it did before rads started?

I'm lucky that I won't have to deal with the bra issue during rads but I feel for those of you who must face this problem because of your size (I was a 38DD).

A funny story (at least to me): A few years ago I was trying to figure out what to wear to work one morning. After I got out of the shower I put on my underwear and skirt and was trying to figure out what sweater to wear with my skirt. After trying on a few I did my hair and went to work. It was about an hour after I got to work that I realized I'd forgotten to put on a bra when I was getting dressed. I must have had my mind on something else when I was playing dress up and totally forgot that I wasn't completely ready for work before I walked out the door. I don't think anyone at work noticed, but I stayed at my desk as much as possible that day (and laughed to myself throughout the day).

Wolfi that's a funny story
    Same thing happened with my daughter, she was only about 3 or 4 years old, we're getting ready for church, just out of the shower, and I told her to go get dressed, and that her dress was on the bed. She did and I proceeded to put her shoes and socks on, she looked so cute all in ruffles. We left and about half way there, she's sitting in her car seat talking, who knows about what, when suddenly she's asks me if it is alright to go to church with out any underware, I say no why? shes say's because I don't have any on! We laugh and made the next U turn. We still laugh to this day about that!

Anyway regaurding your questions.

Most people have Rad's for 6 weeks, but It can be as long as 8 weeks, I've heard. As far as short time disability goes I plan to use it until at least 2 weeks past rad's. Here in California, breast cancer qualifies thourgh out the whole treatment, because they know you have to miss some work for appts and treatments. You still need a doctor to sign off on it, stating that you are in treatment and can not work your noraml hours or are suffering a wage loss because of it. I had my surgeon sign me off until November 1st, and will probably need an extention til December 1st since I won't be done until mid November. Any one of your doctors can sign off on it. So chose the one that is most understanding of your situation. I am only using it part time, and even if I chose to work full time in between tests and treatments, I will still qualify according to the Disability Office, they understand that while having cancer you are not always on your back but sometimes do suffer wages losses because of it.

I hope that it's the same for you in your state, you do have to have at least 8 days off to get your case open, and that's why I used my surgeon. I'll probably ask the rad dr. to exrend it, and if she won't I'll go back to my surgeon, or onco. I hope that this info helps.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Wolfi that's a funny story
    Same thing happened with my daughter, she was only about 3 or 4 years old, we're getting ready for church, just out of the shower, and I told her to go get dressed, and that her dress was on the bed. She did and I proceeded to put her shoes and socks on, she looked so cute all in ruffles. We left and about half way there, she's sitting in her car seat talking, who knows about what, when suddenly she's asks me if it is alright to go to church with out any underware, I say no why? shes say's because I don't have any on! We laugh and made the next U turn. We still laugh to this day about that!

Anyway regaurding your questions.

Most people have Rad's for 6 weeks, but It can be as long as 8 weeks, I've heard. As far as short time disability goes I plan to use it until at least 2 weeks past rad's. Here in California, breast cancer qualifies thourgh out the whole treatment, because they know you have to miss some work for appts and treatments. You still need a doctor to sign off on it, stating that you are in treatment and can not work your noraml hours or are suffering a wage loss because of it. I had my surgeon sign me off until November 1st, and will probably need an extention til December 1st since I won't be done until mid November. Any one of your doctors can sign off on it. So chose the one that is most understanding of your situation. I am only using it part time, and even if I chose to work full time in between tests and treatments, I will still qualify according to the Disability Office, they understand that while having cancer you are not always on your back but sometimes do suffer wages losses because of it.

I hope that it's the same for you in your state, you do have to have at least 8 days off to get your case open, and that's why I used my surgeon. I'll probably ask the rad dr. to exrend it, and if she won't I'll go back to my surgeon, or onco. I hope that this info helps.

Some answers
    I will do my best Wolfi to answer your questions.

1. There is no set amount of radiation treatments. It can vary from 5 days to 16 weeks. It does seem that most do around 25 to 35. Anymore they do boosters and those are counted in there and are done towards the end of your treatments. They just are focused on the tumor site and not all of your breast tissue and lymph nodes.

2. I don't know about disability. I know that if there are a certain amount of workers at your job, your employer can give you a certain amount of time off with part of your wages. I am not for sure what states that is covered in nor how many employees have to work there. As far as social security disability, I think you have to prove that you will be off work for at least a year due to your medical condition. Your ss office can help you with that, but, I don't think it is very ease to qualify and get.

3. I had a lumpectomy so I can't speak for your skin after a mastectomy and rads. My skin is like what everyone said. It is like baby's skin. It looks great! My scar is barely visible as it was small to start with. I don't think rads had anything to do with it either way.

4. I didn't wear a bra from the start as I was told not to by my rads oncologist if possible. I am not small breasted either but I didn't have a problem without a bra. I often didn't wear a bra. My breasts don't sag or anything, so , going without a bra is fine with me.

You will be tired during rads, but, just get lots of rest. That is the main thing. Don't stay up late and if you can, take naps. You will do fine!

Kylez ♥
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

Some answers
    I will do my best Wolfi to answer your questions.

1. There is no set amount of radiation treatments. It can vary from 5 days to 16 weeks. It does seem that most do around 25 to 35. Anymore they do boosters and those are counted in there and are done towards the end of your treatments. They just are focused on the tumor site and not all of your breast tissue and lymph nodes.

2. I don't know about disability. I know that if there are a certain amount of workers at your job, your employer can give you a certain amount of time off with part of your wages. I am not for sure what states that is covered in nor how many employees have to work there. As far as social security disability, I think you have to prove that you will be off work for at least a year due to your medical condition. Your ss office can help you with that, but, I don't think it is very ease to qualify and get.

3. I had a lumpectomy so I can't speak for your skin after a mastectomy and rads. My skin is like what everyone said. It is like baby's skin. It looks great! My scar is barely visible as it was small to start with. I don't think rads had anything to do with it either way.

4. I didn't wear a bra from the start as I was told not to by my rads oncologist if possible. I am not small breasted either but I didn't have a problem without a bra. I often didn't wear a bra. My breasts don't sag or anything, so , going without a bra is fine with me.

You will be tired during rads, but, just get lots of rest. That is the main thing. Don't stay up late and if you can, take naps. You will do fine!

Kylez ♥

I have to agree with Kylez
    If you are attempting to get SS disability, you do need to be off for treatment for at least a year and have a doctor verify it. From what I understand it is very hard to qualify for.

Here in California, it doesn't matter how many p[eople work at a company as long as you worked and made at least $300.00 during the base year, which starts 18 months prior to the date you apply. Then with a doctors certification, you'll qualify.

I'm sure every state has a different State Disability Office with different rules, so you need to check in the state you live in for what's available. I am receiving state disability now, part time. It's like unemployment, I receive a weekly amount based on my prior earnings, and I can even work part time, and they will make up the difference or give me all of my payment. It all depends on how many hours I work. It's really going to help when I start my rads, they'll make up the difference for the hours I lose for the appts.

What state are you in? that will probably make a huge difference.

Good Luck,

Aurora
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options

I have to agree with Kylez
    If you are attempting to get SS disability, you do need to be off for treatment for at least a year and have a doctor verify it. From what I understand it is very hard to qualify for.

Here in California, it doesn't matter how many p[eople work at a company as long as you worked and made at least $300.00 during the base year, which starts 18 months prior to the date you apply. Then with a doctors certification, you'll qualify.

I'm sure every state has a different State Disability Office with different rules, so you need to check in the state you live in for what's available. I am receiving state disability now, part time. It's like unemployment, I receive a weekly amount based on my prior earnings, and I can even work part time, and they will make up the difference or give me all of my payment. It all depends on how many hours I work. It's really going to help when I start my rads, they'll make up the difference for the hours I lose for the appts.

What state are you in? that will probably make a huge difference.

Good Luck,

Aurora

When I was still working, I
    When I was still working, I had an operation, a cervical laminectomy. Where I worked(a nursing home) I got 3 months off. If it needed to be extended, it would have been without pay. I was paid at least a portion of my salary for 3 months. I felt well enough to drive down for meetings(in services) but not to physically work. Even when I did come back it affected my left shoulder which was my weakend side from the surgery, and I needed cortizone injections. I would think many places have that 90 day SS disability, so if you only take 2 months, being 6 weeks and 2 more for recovery at the end, that should be accepted. Now, like i mentioned in another post, the one secretary where my husband worked went on her lunch break, and she said she was fine, but that's her.
  • teachkids
    teachkids Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Noel said:

If any of you are looking
    If any of you are looking for help with rads, please post them here. You will get answers!

rads with x rays prior to each treatment
    Is it usual to have two x-rays taken prior to each breast radiation treatment? Seems like a lot!!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

With Jeanne, Lex, and Jackie on Soapbox
    I never followed any advice given here as far as meds and lotions without running it by my doctors first. Not because I do not value my friends' advice and experience--they will tell you I do, greatly. But, a male oncologist is still an oncologist, however limited by biology he may be.

I agree with all of you,
    I agree with all of you, Moopy, Lex, Jeanne, Jackie and the others. I would never use something on my skin without my radiation oncologist saying that it was alright with him. So far, he has me using Biafine and Aquaphor at night. And since I have only had 5, I am doing ok. Thanks!

• Noel
    Options

anyone no
    went for day 4 yesterday and have celulotis dont know if spelled right breast infection oncologist says common i went through major surgery 6 weeks monday never had antibiotic only right before surgery now i after 4 days have to take antibiotic i dont understand i had all my care at hershey medical center but havings rads closer because hershey to far away but drivig there tuesday o see how this could happen anyone famillar with rhis god bless luv peggy

Peggy

Peggy, you are doing great with your rads! Take your antibiotics and you will be over this hurdle in no time.

♥ Noel
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    lanie940 said:

When I was still working, I
    When I was still working, I had an operation, a cervical laminectomy. Where I worked(a nursing home) I got 3 months off. If it needed to be extended, it would have been without pay. I was paid at least a portion of my salary for 3 months. I felt well enough to drive down for meetings(in services) but not to physically work. Even when I did come back it affected my left shoulder which was my weakend side from the surgery, and I needed cortizone injections. I would think many places have that 90 day SS disability, so if you only take 2 months, being 6 weeks and 2 more for recovery at the end, that should be accepted. Now, like i mentioned in another post, the one secretary where my husband worked went on her lunch break, and she said she was fine, but that's her.

This post might help some of
    This post might help some of the newbies starting rads.

Lex♥
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    Alexis F said:

This post might help some of
    This post might help some of the newbies starting rads.

Lex♥

Since I will be starting
    Since I will be starting mine soon I have been reading all the posts regarding Rads. I have an appointment to meet with my radiation oncologist on Sept 11. I am already familiar with him and the staff as I had brachytherapy there in June. I thank each and every one of you who has posted your experiences and advice. And yes, I will always listen to my doctor!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    new question
    I read that you have regular blood tests during radiation. How often? Did you leave your port in for these? I go to the rad onc Sept. 22 but the chemo onc wants my port removed on Oct. 14...
    If I have to have blood drawn on a regular basis I would rather keep it and save my veins after all the problems I had before. Any thoughts?
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    elm3544 said:

new question
    I read that you have regular blood tests during radiation. How often? Did you leave your port in for these? I go to the rad onc Sept. 22 but the chemo onc wants my port removed on Oct. 14...
    If I have to have blood drawn on a regular basis I would rather keep it and save my veins after all the problems I had before. Any thoughts?

Intraoperative Radiation Therapy
    Today I heard about this procedure. I looked it up and it went to the Mayo Clinic. Has anyone had this done? I know they have it in Minnesota, Arizona, Rush Hospital in Chicago and somewhere here in Florida, but haven't yet found out where. It seems to have several benefits, one being ALOT less radiation and a better chance of no recurrence.
    Cathy