☺RADIATION TREATMENT ☼☼☼ QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS☻

Options

Comments

• peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    Options
    MAJW said:

Table postition for rads
    I may have dreamed this but I think my radiation oncologist said that in addition to the breast markings they would make a "cast" of my back and arms to postion me on the table....Anyone have this done? Did I dream this or is this just chemo brain? tee-hee.....I see him on September 9 and hope to start sometime in September.....finished chemo two weeks ago.......YEAH....surgery and chemo behind me.....Also, do they put protective lead blankets on the rest of your body and your other breast? My rads will be on the right breast......I have heard that sometimes radiation can cause heart damage, so I am most concerned about them covering my left breast......I guess I'll find out, but would appreciate any tips from all you WONDERFUL WOMEN!
    Thank you,
    Nancy

yes
    had mold done to hon gl god bless luv peggy
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

yes
    had mold done to hon gl god bless luv peggy

I never had the mold. Some
    I never had the mold. Some do and some of us don't. Please don't worry about the rads hurting you. You don't feel a thing and with the new machines and the new technology now, your organs are protected. The radiation only goes where it is suppose to.

♥Noel
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    MAJW said:

Table postition for rads
    I may have dreamed this but I think my radiation oncologist said that in addition to the breast markings they would make a "cast" of my back and arms to postion me on the table....Anyone have this done? Did I dream this or is this just chemo brain? tee-hee.....I see him on September 9 and hope to start sometime in September.....finished chemo two weeks ago.......YEAH....surgery and chemo behind me.....Also, do they put protective lead blankets on the rest of your body and your other breast? My rads will be on the right breast......I have heard that sometimes radiation can cause heart damage, so I am most concerned about them covering my left breast......I guess I'll find out, but would appreciate any tips from all you WONDERFUL WOMEN!
    Thank you,
    Nancy

You can see your plan
    If you want to see the area that will be radiated in relation to the rest of your body, just ask your radiation onc. or a radiation tech. That's all in your file. I was shown all that information when I asked. It's very precise and seeing it on a computer monitor was very reassuring to me. Lynn
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

You can see your plan
    If you want to see the area that will be radiated in relation to the rest of your body, just ask your radiation onc. or a radiation tech. That's all in your file. I was shown all that information when I asked. It's very precise and seeing it on a computer monitor was very reassuring to me. Lynn

Please Read This........
    I want to wish all of the new and soon to be survivors that are in rads an important piece of advice. The main thing is for you to listen and do what your OWN rads oncologist tells you to do. And, if you are scared, terrified or have lots of questions inre to how the radiation works, to ask your OWN radiation oncologist. They have a file on you which will show you pictures of exactly how and where the radiation will be on you. They can show you on the computers how it works, which will put your mind at ease. My husband stood outside and watched and the rad techs explained to him exactly what was going on while I was in "the room" being zapped. It is fine to ask questions on here and read others advice, but, just remember it might not apply to you and it may not be approved by your OWN rads oncologist. I know I found great advice on here about problems I had and about creams to use. I asked my rads oncologist about what I had been told on here and he approved it. So, this site, these wonderful women helped me so much when I went thru rads. There are different types of rad treatments, different machines, old and new machines and some bc survivors have been out of treatment for a long time and their advice might not apply to today. There is nothing to fear. Rads will kill any stray cancer cells left and that is what you hope and pray for. You might get a burn with rads, some just get a little pink, but, if you do, your rads oncologist will help you and make you more comfortable. You will heal and when you do, your skin will be beautiful. It will be better than before as it is new skin. You will get tired, but, if you go to bed at a decent hour, take a nap if you can, eat right and even exercise some, you will get thru it. Well, I am off my soap box now!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Please Read This........
    I want to wish all of the new and soon to be survivors that are in rads an important piece of advice. The main thing is for you to listen and do what your OWN rads oncologist tells you to do. And, if you are scared, terrified or have lots of questions inre to how the radiation works, to ask your OWN radiation oncologist. They have a file on you which will show you pictures of exactly how and where the radiation will be on you. They can show you on the computers how it works, which will put your mind at ease. My husband stood outside and watched and the rad techs explained to him exactly what was going on while I was in "the room" being zapped. It is fine to ask questions on here and read others advice, but, just remember it might not apply to you and it may not be approved by your OWN rads oncologist. I know I found great advice on here about problems I had and about creams to use. I asked my rads oncologist about what I had been told on here and he approved it. So, this site, these wonderful women helped me so much when I went thru rads. There are different types of rad treatments, different machines, old and new machines and some bc survivors have been out of treatment for a long time and their advice might not apply to today. There is nothing to fear. Rads will kill any stray cancer cells left and that is what you hope and pray for. You might get a burn with rads, some just get a little pink, but, if you do, your rads oncologist will help you and make you more comfortable. You will heal and when you do, your skin will be beautiful. It will be better than before as it is new skin. You will get tired, but, if you go to bed at a decent hour, take a nap if you can, eat right and even exercise some, you will get thru it. Well, I am off my soap box now!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Yes, What Jeanne Says
    Thanks for making those important and overlooked points, Jeanne. Sometimes, lessons delivered from a soapbox are just what is needed.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Yes, What Jeanne Says
    Thanks for making those important and overlooked points, Jeanne. Sometimes, lessons delivered from a soapbox are just what is needed.

♀Jeanne and Moopy♀
    DITTO!

Kristin ♥
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

♀Jeanne and Moopy♀
    DITTO!

Kristin ♥

Someone on here did write
    Someone on here did write some scary stuff about radiation treatments. But I hope by your posts, most of us newbies to it, will know that they were not right. Thanks

Sue :)
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Someone on here did write
    Someone on here did write some scary stuff about radiation treatments. But I hope by your posts, most of us newbies to it, will know that they were not right. Thanks

Sue :)

My rads question
    I'm currently doing chemo, and won't be starting rads until probably mid-Novemberish, but there's one aspect of rads I've already started worrying about ('cause it's not like chemo gives me *enough* to worry about or anything :-): The Bra Issue.

I'm a well-endowed woman, and was fortunate enough to be able to have lumpectomies, so my girls are still very much present and accounted for. I don't step outside my door without a bra -- I mean, like E-V-E-R. But will I still be able to wear a bra during rads?

I work in an office, so I can't just wear big baggy sweatshirts for 8 weeks. I would love some input from your experiences?

Many thanks from me and my girls :-)

Traci
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

My rads question
    I'm currently doing chemo, and won't be starting rads until probably mid-Novemberish, but there's one aspect of rads I've already started worrying about ('cause it's not like chemo gives me *enough* to worry about or anything :-): The Bra Issue.

I'm a well-endowed woman, and was fortunate enough to be able to have lumpectomies, so my girls are still very much present and accounted for. I don't step outside my door without a bra -- I mean, like E-V-E-R. But will I still be able to wear a bra during rads?

I work in an office, so I can't just wear big baggy sweatshirts for 8 weeks. I would love some input from your experiences?

Traci

I was told by a friend who
    I was told by a friend who went through both Chemo and RADs that she wore cotton undershirts at home and cotton bra to work, a "soft type cotton"
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

I was told by a friend who
    I was told by a friend who went through both Chemo and RADs that she wore cotton undershirts at home and cotton bra to work, a "soft type cotton"

Bra or not?
    You can still wear a bra as long as it is comfortable for you. However, if you get a little pink or burnt towards the end, you won't want to wear one, no matter what. I am also not small and I wore soft camisoles. I wore a bra for a little while, but, my rads oncologist didn't want me to. I accused him of being a boobie man. He did laugh at that! Cotton undershirts work too. You will figure it out and be fine.

Kylez
  • Moopy23
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

My rads question

Traci

Haven't Worn Bras since Surgery
    Traci, I was not big, 34B, and have not worn a bra in months. After surgery, I did buy cotton sports bras based on posts here, but they didn't work for me. Before rads, I wore camisoles under tops. Since, I just wear loose, thin cotton tops with lots of details, ruffles, etc., around the bust area.

Once fall/winter arrives, I will go back to vests, etc. Hoping to get away with never wearing bras. The other day, I unthinkingly made the bed topless. My hubby noticed but didn't comment because it just cracked him up. He was thrilled that I was not so self-conscious. He says I have all the boobs I need and a spare. (I had a mastectomy in November)

Good luck with finding what will work for you. It is trial and error.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Haven't Worn Bras since Surgery
    Traci, I was not big, 34B, and have not worn a bra in months. After surgery, I did buy cotton sports bras based on posts here, but they didn't work for me. Before rads, I wore camisoles under tops. Since, I just wear loose, thin cotton tops with lots of details, ruffles, etc., around the bust area.

Once fall/winter arrives, I will go back to vests, etc. Hoping to get away with never wearing bras. The other day, I unthinkingly made the bed topless. My hubby noticed but didn't comment because it just cracked him up. He was thrilled that I was not so self-conscious. He says I have all the boobs I need and a spare. (I had a mastectomy in November)

Good luck with finding what will work for you. It is trial and error.

Cami Tshirt or nothing :)
    I gave up the bra when I started rads. It was recommended by my rads oncologist and he knows best. I wore camisoles, my hubby's tshirts or nothing. I am not small either, but, that didn't make a difference. I just wore baggy tops sometimes. I am proud of my boobies, so, if someone wants to stare, then LOOK. And, when you start in the winter, you can wear sweaters, and all kinds of stuff to hide the fact that you are braless. That would be the perfect time to have rads. Just find what suits you.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

My rads question

Traci

I understand
    I go without a bra outside the house about once every 2 years. Maybe. I finished rads in April and wore a bra for most of it. I got simple cotton bras (WalMart $7 44D)but when I burned I needed to give it up for awhile. But since I was unemployed at the time, I pretty much gave up *clothes* until I healed. As always, talk with _your_ doctor.

Maureen
  • peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    Options

I understand
    I go without a bra outside the house about once every 2 years. Maybe. I finished rads in April and wore a bra for most of it. I got simple cotton bras (WalMart $7 44D)but when I burned I needed to give it up for awhile. But since I was unemployed at the time, I pretty much gave up *clothes* until I healed. As always, talk with _your_ doctor.

Maureen

im confused
    why cant you wear a bra im day 2 of rads will i burn that bad i have worn a bra the same day as my surgery my surgeon told me to wear as soon as i woke up he said it would not bother and it didnt im a 38 c a bra has never bothered me do we really burn that bad ty would appreciate help ty luv peggy god bless
  • Moopy23
    Options

im confused
    why cant you wear a bra im day 2 of rads will i burn that bad i have worn a bra the same day as my surgery my surgeon told me to wear as soon as i woke up he said it would not bother and it didnt im a 38 c a bra has never bothered me do we really burn that bad ty would appreciate help ty luv peggy god bless

Peggy
    I didn't burn badly at all. But it's like with a sunburn. You don't want anything rough touching the affected skin. Plus, keeping the area dry is important to prevent infection. Frankly, I LIKE not wearing a bra. My rad onc. nurse gave me a copy of a catalog page with recommended bras I could buy; I just said thanks, but no thanks, and she said good.

To wear or not to wear: that is a question you can ask your rad. onc. I would try not to worry unduly. We all find ways to be comfortable, discreet, and compliant with our doctors' recommendations. You see, cancer does spur you to creativity, sometimes!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Please Read This........

Love, Jeanne ♥

ASKING QUESTIONS......
    I think it's a given we know to ask our professionals, but I, personally, want imput from those who have travelled the road I am about to take.........because......my MALE ocologist has NOT travelled this road and most who are involved in our treatment have not either......That's why I find this site so incredibly wonderful! Everyone is different, treatments are different, depending on the type of bc, etc. But there is no greater thing than EXPERIENCE! And experience is what all the wonderful women here have. I know for myself at the beginning of this journey, for me, back in April, this site was incredibly helpful....I had a zillion questions about upcoming "things" such as the wire needle localization.....I was terrified of that......listening to those who had it done eased my mind greatly.....as only someone who had it done could......anyway, that is my soap box for the day!
    Love and prayers to all you wonderful women
    Nancy
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    MAJW said:

ASKING QUESTIONS......
    I think it's a given we know to ask our professionals, but I, personally, want imput from those who have travelled the road I am about to take.........because......my MALE ocologist has NOT travelled this road and most who are involved in our treatment have not either......That's why I find this site so incredibly wonderful! Everyone is different, treatments are different, depending on the type of bc, etc. But there is no greater thing than EXPERIENCE! And experience is what all the wonderful women here have. I know for myself at the beginning of this journey, for me, back in April, this site was incredibly helpful....I had a zillion questions about upcoming "things" such as the wire needle localization.....I was terrified of that......listening to those who had it done eased my mind greatly.....as only someone who had it done could......anyway, that is my soap box for the day!
    Love and prayers to all you wonderful women
    Nancy

Check with your doctor FIRST
    This site is great for the experiences and knowledge that bc survivors have been thru inre to tests, surgery, radiation treatments, chemo and just plain living with bc. It is great to come here and have a laugh, meet a new friend, learn something, read about a cream that might help you, understand better what going thru chemo is all about. But, you have to realize that some of the advice on here may not be what is best for you. That is why you should always, ALWAYS check with your own oncologist, rads oncologist, plastic surgeon or whatever doctor is your primary doctor of your treatment before implementing anything you have read inre to your treatment. This is not a given. Some people might read about a cream or something and just go out and buy it, use it and make matters worse because they want some relief and haven't made their doctor aware that they need something. I speak mainly here about rads. The machines are so different and everyone's treatments are different. So, ask questions, read the answers and check with your doctor to see if it is ok for you. Most doctors are very open minded and realize there may be something out there that even they are not aware of. I found that true with my own rads oncologist. Not that he didn't approve it, but, he wasn't aware that it might help the problem I was having. He ok'd it, I got it and it helped. So, just be smart and check with your doctor first.

On My Soapbox Now Lex♥
  • prv
    prv Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Check with your doctor FIRST
    This site is great for the experiences and knowledge that bc survivors have been thru inre to tests, surgery, radiation treatments, chemo and just plain living with bc. It is great to come here and have a laugh, meet a new friend, learn something, read about a cream that might help you, understand better what going thru chemo is all about. But, you have to realize that some of the advice on here may not be what is best for you. That is why you should always, ALWAYS check with your own oncologist, rads oncologist, plastic surgeon or whatever doctor is your primary doctor of your treatment before implementing anything you have read inre to your treatment. This is not a given. Some people might read about a cream or something and just go out and buy it, use it and make matters worse because they want some relief and haven't made their doctor aware that they need something. I speak mainly here about rads. The machines are so different and everyone's treatments are different. So, ask questions, read the answers and check with your doctor to see if it is ok for you. Most doctors are very open minded and realize there may be something out there that even they are not aware of. I found that true with my own rads oncologist. Not that he didn't approve it, but, he wasn't aware that it might help the problem I was having. He ok'd it, I got it and it helped. So, just be smart and check with your doctor first.

On My Soapbox Now Lex♥

how tired?
    How tired do you get with radiation? I wanted to continue working!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Please Read This........

Love, Jeanne ♥

Jeanne
    climb back on the soap box! Your advice was perfect! As you know I was probably the 1% that burned terribly. I wish my Rad Oncologist would have stopped to give my skin a break, like yours did to those couple of women you were treated with. If I would have insisted maybe they would have gave me a few days off toward the end.

I don't ever want to scare anyone, but if you do see yourself getting very burned. Talk to your oncologist and see if they can give you a break to heal a little. Also gauze pads soaked in bottles of saline then applied to the skin until dry feels so soothing, and if you need pain pills take them. I did. My skin did heal extremely fast and is like Jeanne says "smooth as a baby's butt" now.

Take time to rest, and drink LOTS AND LOTS of H20 and fluids.
    hugs, Jackie
  • Moopy23
    Options
    prv said:

how tired?
    How tired do you get with radiation? I wanted to continue working!

Personal Experience with Fatigue, Working during Rads
    I myself am/was more drained during and now after rads than during chemo. I worked part-time during chemo, but am sure glad I haven't worked during radiation. I do have to go back on the 14th. Just hoping my energy levels rise. I'm following the advice given by Judy and Mimi and trying to get more exercise.

Keep in mind, though, that I did have chemo, and it's all cumulative. Plus, I got more than the average radiation. Even my surgeon, looking at my chest, remarked, "You got a lot of radiation." (More radiation is exactly what I wanted and needed.)

Most women, I believe, are able to work during radiation. The recommendation I got from a nurse was to schedule rads at the end of my workday, not the beginning.