☺RADIATION TREATMENT ☼☼☼ QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS☻

Options

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

ASKING QUESTIONS......
    I think it's a given we know to ask our professionals, but I, personally, want imput from those who have travelled the road I am about to take.........because......my MALE ocologist has NOT travelled this road and most who are involved in our treatment have not either......That's why I find this site so incredibly wonderful! Everyone is different, treatments are different, depending on the type of bc, etc. But there is no greater thing than EXPERIENCE! And experience is what all the wonderful women here have. I know for myself at the beginning of this journey, for me, back in April, this site was incredibly helpful....I had a zillion questions about upcoming "things" such as the wire needle localization.....I was terrified of that......listening to those who had it done eased my mind greatly.....as only someone who had it done could......anyway, that is my soap box for the day!
    Love and prayers to all you wonderful women
    Nancy

With Jeanne, Lex, and Jackie on Soapbox
    I never followed any advice given here as far as meds and lotions without running it by my doctors first. Not because I do not value my friends' advice and experience--they will tell you I do, greatly. But, a male oncologist is still an oncologist, however limited by biology he may be.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Personal Experience with Fatigue, Working during Rads
    I myself am/was more drained during and now after rads than during chemo. I worked part-time during chemo, but am sure glad I haven't worked during radiation. I do have to go back on the 14th. Just hoping my energy levels rise. I'm following the advice given by Judy and Mimi and trying to get more exercise.

Keep in mind, though, that I did have chemo, and it's all cumulative. Plus, I got more than the average radiation. Even my surgeon, looking at my chest, remarked, "You got a lot of radiation." (More radiation is exactly what I wanted and needed.)

Most women, I believe, are able to work during radiation. The recommendation I got from a nurse was to schedule rads at the end of my workday, not the beginning.

My experience
    I am almost done with rads and I personally would not have been able to work. Even if my work was not physically demanding (I work in an Auto body shop) I would have still had a difficult time working. I am incredably physically drained and need to recoup my strength to make it through my next surgery.
    I became drained from the moment I was diagnosed, more so after all the appointments and testing, increasing through my surgery and recovery, and totally hit the brick wall during rads. I would have never been able to hold up. My rad Onc said that what I was going through was perfectly normal and he had very few patients that could work all the way through it. Most did out of fear of losing their jobs.
    Pammy
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

My experience
    I am almost done with rads and I personally would not have been able to work. Even if my work was not physically demanding (I work in an Auto body shop) I would have still had a difficult time working. I am incredably physically drained and need to recoup my strength to make it through my next surgery.
    I became drained from the moment I was diagnosed, more so after all the appointments and testing, increasing through my surgery and recovery, and totally hit the brick wall during rads. I would have never been able to hold up. My rad Onc said that what I was going through was perfectly normal and he had very few patients that could work all the way through it. Most did out of fear of losing their jobs.
    Pammy

Bed early
    I didn't work and am happy that I didn't have to. But, almost everyone else, men and women worked their jobs while taking rads that I talked to. I really admired them. Some of them said their secret was that they took really good care of themselves. They ate right, did some exercising if possible, and went to bed very early so that they would get lots of rest. I think the main key is get to bed early. I know I found myself staying up late and that was the wrong thing to do. When I did go to bed early, I felt so much better the next day.

And, survivors that took chemo first, like someone said, are in a whole different ballgame. They are already wore down from chemo, so rads, for them, is 100 times worse.

If you have to work, try to schedule your treatment at the end of the day. So you can get zapped after work, go home, and if necessary, go to bed.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

My experience
    Pammy

Pammy is Right about that Brick Wall
    I had forgotten that the emotional and physical drain began with the diagnosis. It just goes on and on. I suspect Pammy is also correct in that most worked because they had to. Thanks for your post, Pammy. Rads are usually not a breeze for anyone. I stand corrected and glad to be so.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

Jeanne
    climb back on the soap box! Your advice was perfect! As you know I was probably the 1% that burned terribly. I wish my Rad Oncologist would have stopped to give my skin a break, like yours did to those couple of women you were treated with. If I would have insisted maybe they would have gave me a few days off toward the end.

I don't ever want to scare anyone, but if you do see yourself getting very burned. Talk to your oncologist and see if they can give you a break to heal a little. Also gauze pads soaked in bottles of saline then applied to the skin until dry feels so soothing, and if you need pain pills take them. I did. My skin did heal extremely fast and is like Jeanne says "smooth as a baby's butt" now.

Take time to rest, and drink LOTS AND LOTS of H20 and fluids.
    hugs, Jackie

My rads oncologist told me
    My rads oncologist told me to expect to be tired. But, he said it will help me if I just try and get more sleep than I did before, which I am. lol I am not tired yet, but, I am napping now during the day. I kind of like that.

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

My rads oncologist told me
    My rads oncologist told me to expect to be tired. But, he said it will help me if I just try and get more sleep than I did before, which I am. lol I am not tired yet, but, I am napping now during the day. I kind of like that.

Someone mention naps?
    I love my naps! lol

Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Options
    jnl said:

Someone mention naps?
    I love my naps! lol

Leeza

When?
    Is there a number of treatments before you start really feeling it? Or, getting pink or something? My rads oncologist told me that usually, sometimes, it is around the 3rd or 4th week of rads. But, he said it does vary from patient to patient since we are all different and our treatments vary too.

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Ritzy said:

When?
    Is there a number of treatments before you start really feeling it? Or, getting pink or something? My rads oncologist told me that usually, sometimes, it is around the 3rd or 4th week of rads. But, he said it does vary from patient to patient since we are all different and our treatments vary too.

It varies
    Sue, I don't think there is a set number for everyone. Like your rads onc said, we are all different, just like our treatments. But, I think the "standard" might be around the 15th to the 20th, that you might start feeling a little warm, and, maybe a little pink. Just be sure and use the creams. Biafine is what my rads onc gave me and I never burned. What are you using? And, I laid the Aquaphor on thick at night and my skin looks and feels like a baby's behind, as others have said.

Lex♥
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    Ritzy said:

When?

That sounds about right
    I really noticed the fatigue hit me just as I was starting into my third week (about day 11) and then I started to really tan about the fourth week (about day 20) but really reddened by the fifth week (about day 26). I think one of the reasons I turned so red was because I was allergic to the Aquafore (very unusual) and could only use 100% Pure Aloe. But the stinging only lasted until I put the Aloe on after my shower. It is important to stay moisturized and I was unable to do that. So I look really good for not using anything! And my skin doesn't hurt, just itches. It looks way worse than it feels! Pammy
  • Ritzy
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

That sounds about right
    I really noticed the fatigue hit me just as I was starting into my third week (about day 11) and then I started to really tan about the fourth week (about day 20) but really reddened by the fifth week (about day 26). I think one of the reasons I turned so red was because I was allergic to the Aquafore (very unusual) and could only use 100% Pure Aloe. But the stinging only lasted until I put the Aloe on after my shower. It is important to stay moisturized and I was unable to do that. So I look really good for not using anything! And my skin doesn't hurt, just itches. It looks way worse than it feels! Pammy

I am already using the
    I am already using the Biafine and Aquaphor per my radiation oncologist's instructions. He wanted me to start right away. He said most people don't even get the tan anymore with the newer machines. I might just get a little pink, maybe a burn, like a sunburn. But, that it would go away pretty quick after I am done. Still feeling good. Still have my energy!

And, hubby is either taking me out to eat and/or he is giving me a gift everyday. He is so sweet and so supportive. Today, I got a bouquet of daisies, my favorite flower! :)

• peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I am already using the
    I am already using the Biafine and Aquaphor per my radiation oncologist's instructions. He wanted me to start right away. He said most people don't even get the tan anymore with the newer machines. I might just get a little pink, maybe a burn, like a sunburn. But, that it would go away pretty quick after I am done. Still feeling good. Still have my energy!

And, hubby is either taking me out to eat and/or he is giving me a gift everyday. He is so sweet and so supportive. Today, I got a bouquet of daisies, my favorite flower! :)

anyone no
    went for day 4 yesterday and have celulotis dont know if spelled right breast infection oncologist says common i went through major surgery 6 weeks monday never had antibiotic only right before surgery now i after 4 days have to take antibiotic i dont understand i had all my care at hershey medical center but havings rads closer because hershey to far away but drivig there tuesday o see how this could happen anyone famillar with rhis god bless luv peggy
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I am already using the

Awww...
    Ritzy, You have the sweetest hubby!! Yeah, I heard that about the tan...my center must have an older machine (go figure) because I definitely tanned! Pammy
  • Ritzy
    Options

anyone no
    went for day 4 yesterday and have celulotis dont know if spelled right breast infection oncologist says common i went through major surgery 6 weeks monday never had antibiotic only right before surgery now i after 4 days have to take antibiotic i dont understand i had all my care at hershey medical center but havings rads closer because hershey to far away but drivig there tuesday o see how this could happen anyone famillar with rhis god bless luv peggy

Peggy, I am so sorry about
    Peggy, I am so sorry about this. You are on antibiotics now, so, you will be fine. Please don't be upset.

• Ritzy
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Awww...
    Ritzy, You have the sweetest hubby!! Yeah, I heard that about the tan...my center must have an older machine (go figure) because I definitely tanned! Pammy

Yes, he is wonderful! But,
    Yes, he is wonderful! But, he always has been. I am so emotional now that everything is just intensified a zillion times. So, if he were to just give me a dandelion, I would probably start bawling. lol

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

With Jeanne, Lex, and Jackie on Soapbox
    I never followed any advice given here as far as meds and lotions without running it by my doctors first. Not because I do not value my friends' advice and experience--they will tell you I do, greatly. But, a male oncologist is still an oncologist, however limited by biology he may be.

Sorry
    Sorry, that i seem to have upset some........
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Sorry
    Sorry, that i seem to have upset some........

Noone was upset
    Noone was upset here. The others were just stressing the point to check with your own oncologist, rads oncologist or plastic surgeon before you would take, use, or do anything that is written on this board or that you are just told about. Advice and experience is great, but, you need to always check with your doctor to see if it is good for YOU! They, your doctors, are the experts, whether male or female and you have to trust in them.

♥ Noel
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Noone was upset
    Noone was upset here. The others were just stressing the point to check with your own oncologist, rads oncologist or plastic surgeon before you would take, use, or do anything that is written on this board or that you are just told about. Advice and experience is great, but, you need to always check with your doctor to see if it is good for YOU! They, your doctors, are the experts, whether male or female and you have to trust in them.

♥ Noel

Sorry again.......
    I think my post needs to be reread........I started with saying WE ALL KNOW WE NEED TO CHECK WITH OUR PROFESSIONALS which I always do........But I still believe that no one can understand completely unless they have walked in your shoes......No one who has not gone through this can understand what it's like.....And, that's where their experience comes into play.....
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Akiss4me said:

Awww...

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Sorry again.......
    I think my post needs to be reread........I started with saying WE ALL KNOW WE NEED TO CHECK WITH OUR PROFESSIONALS which I always do........But I still believe that no one can understand completely unless they have walked in your shoes......No one who has not gone through this can understand what it's like.....And, that's where their experience comes into play.....

Why so sorry? Twice?
    Your post does not need to be reread. Why be so defensive? Everyone just wanted to clarify a few things. Don't take it so personal MAJW. Once again, they and I are just trying to stress that experience is great, but, it does not mean that you should follow it. Stick with your doctor's expertise, male or female. OK?

♥ Noel