Tamoxifin

13»

Comments

• Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Healthy alternative
    Look up Noni Juice. It's from Tahiti. Not the best tasting stuff. Powerful antioxident that has shown promise at targeting brst ca cells. I was drinking after my diagnosis, but my chemo doc suggested it would poss. block chemo. So I feel it's that good. I'm going to resume it after my rads are done. Guess I will ask him first though. I will be on herceptin for the yr. Good luck. It won't hurt to look it up :)
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    pgrace35 said:

Interesting
    Did your oncologist insist you take it, or did he give you the info and told you to decide? This is the first response I have recieved where the oncologist didn't INSIST on this drug. 2% for me isn't enough either, it would have to be much much more than that.

Make that 2
    My oncologist did not insist. She tested to see if I metabolized it and left the decision up to me. I agreed to take it unless it gave me trouble. 7 months late multiple pulmonary emoboli that the doctors feel were caused by the tamoxifen--I'm not taking it any more. But as others have said, every situation is different and we must all make our own choices.
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    marywest said:

can you pass on the information?
    I feel the same way you do. I have not filled my prescription for it, its almost a month old. Have you learned what you can take from the homepathic remedies that would help as far as blocking estrogen? I am thristing for knowledge on this. Being out of radiation for 7 months now, I am so hesitant to put something in my body that is not natural. I probably got cancer from toxins in food or whatever. I am so intersted in what you have learned, if you dont' mind passing that on to me. I took Arimidex and after 2 weeks I quit it because it caused such joint pain. I imagine tamoxin would do the same thing. I do not want to discourage anyone on taking these drugs at all. But I am with you 100% on this. I do hope you can share what you do know. mary

Natural remedies
    I'm not a doctor, and I not telling you to do what i do, just giving you info on what I've decided to do and would be happy to pass this info on.
    I'm taking everyday Flax Hull Lignans. It has been researched for almost 20 years and does block estrogen receptors. I would google it and research it for yourself. I have also researched nutrition that is best for breast cancer. I hope this is helpful to you and I think our best way to decide on any medication is to speak to others, get their experiences. I just love sharing information and getting it, it has been so helpful to me on this decision.
  • pgrace35
    susie09 said:

OMG you misspelled words on here! How dare you! lol
    This is all so interesting! I, like some of the others, am still undecided. Thanks for this thread pgrace!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣

So many on the fence
    Since I have started this thread, I have found that a very good percentage of women are in question on this drug. It is so helpful to hear everyones opinions, experiences etc....It just confirms my decision even more.
  • pgrace35
    marywest said:

One more post
    I would so love to see that stats of women who have taken it and how many had cancer return. Does anyone know where to look for that????????

Would love to know that too
    Good question, I would love to know that too. Considering that it only raises your chances 2%, would love to know that.
  • pgrace35

My oncologist did the stats
    My oncologist did the stats test for me to determine chance of recurrence with my type of cancer, grade, stage, treatment and so on. My chance of recurrence, according to that, was 4%. That 50% stat comes in then. Meaning that 50% of 4 is 2%. That is the way they figure it.

Same here
    That is what I was told too.....and I think its important to take in to consideration each persons situation in their cancer stage and grade.
  • pgrace35
    Katz77 said:

Healthy alternative
    Look up Noni Juice. It's from Tahiti. Not the best tasting stuff. Powerful antioxident that has shown promise at targeting brst ca cells. I was drinking after my diagnosis, but my chemo doc suggested it would poss. block chemo. So I feel it's that good. I'm going to resume it after my rads are done. Guess I will ask him first though. I will be on herceptin for the yr. Good luck. It won't hurt to look it up :)

Very good stuff
    Have had it before and thinks it's wonderful. It is a very powerful antioxident which is very important. It's funny that doc suggested it would block chemo, not sure they is anything that could block chemo. I don't think the doc's in western medicine even know, but since they don't they just say no. Good luck to you, here is to your health!
  • pgrace35
    Eil4186 said:

My cancer was hormone
    My cancer was hormone receptor positive so the tamoxifen actually lowers my risk of recurrence more than my chemo treatments. Almost 50%. I figured I'd be crazy not to take it.

That's wonderful
    That is wonderful, if I had those stats I would do the same thing, you're right, you would be crazy not too. Thanks!
  • pgrace35

Make that 2
    My oncologist did not insist. She tested to see if I metabolized it and left the decision up to me. I agreed to take it unless it gave me trouble. 7 months late multiple pulmonary emoboli that the doctors feel were caused by the tamoxifen--I'm not taking it any more. But as others have said, every situation is different and we must all make our own choices.

Sorry for your troubles
    Thank for your info and I'm sorry you had problems, that is the last thing we need after treatment. This kind of info is what makes me really question....is it worth the risk?
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    pgrace35 said:

Hi there
    I start my rads on Jan 4th...happy for you that your almost done. What do you think your Dr. will say. I'm almost thinking now not to even say anything, don't want to feel I have to explain myself.

Hi their again.
    I am not sure how I will tell my Dr.She will try to talk me out of not doing it.I feel like you ,don,t want to explain myself either.Just that i am not going to take it.
  • pgrace35
    ppurdin said:

Hi their again.
    I am not sure how I will tell my Dr.She will try to talk me out of not doing it.I feel like you ,don,t want to explain myself either.Just that i am not going to take it.

Telling Dr.
    I think it might be best I don't. It's my decision good or bad and the only one that will have to live with the decision is me. Especially if she hears that I'm taking a homepathic route, sure she won't agree at all! We will see, I see her monday, might feel out the situation and go from there. Let me know what you decide and the reaction. HAVE A GREAT DAY!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

My oncologist did the stats
    My oncologist did the stats test for me to determine chance of recurrence with my type of cancer, grade, stage, treatment and so on. My chance of recurrence, according to that, was 4%. That 50% stat comes in then. Meaning that 50% of 4 is 2%. That is the way they figure it.

That is the way my onco
    That is the way my onco explained it too. I think some don't realize that it isn't actually 50%. It is 50% of what your own personal risk of recurrence is. Some are higher than others, just like some are lower. You divide your recurrence chance by 50%. That is how much tamox helps you.

Lex♥
  • pgrace35
    Alexis F said:

That is the way my onco
    That is the way my onco explained it too. I think some don't realize that it isn't actually 50%. It is 50% of what your own personal risk of recurrence is. Some are higher than others, just like some are lower. You divide your recurrence chance by 50%. That is how much tamox helps you.

Lex♥

Risk Factor
    That is how I understood it as well Lex....for my situation it's 2%ish. It gets confusing and really scary when you 50%, if it limited my chances by 50%, then that would be totally different.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Of course everyone must do
    Of course everyone must do what will give them peace and I would not try and force my opinion on someone else. However with that said, I am taking tamoxifen and the decision was an easy one for me. My prognosis after surgery was a 25% chance of recurrence without any further treatment. Chemo reduced that by 2% and tamoxifen reduced it by 40%.

If your cancer was hormone receptive positive and you are premenopausal after chemo, then tamoxifen is a no brainer. It will improve your chance of remaining cancer free dramatically. Think it over very carefully.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Calleen said:

My Choice
    is to not take tamoxifen. I did what I felt I could to prevent a recurrance by having both breasts removed. my lymph nodes were clear and my oncotype score was 10. So I have a 10% chance of recurrance. I have heard but not researched that the average person has a 12% chance of getting cancer so right now if this is true I'm at a lower percentage than the average person. I have a hard time taking advil for headaches and there was no way I could see taking this pill for 5 years and know I would have side effects.. Especially if it wasn't going to lower my chances of recurrance more than 3%. I feel at peace with my choice and know that even if I took it I could have a recurrance. Nothing is 100%!!

Callen, Tamoxifen reduces
    Callen, Tamoxifen reduces recurrence risk by more than 40%. it's chemo that only reduces it by 3%.