Diagnosed Today.....

Comments

• peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    fauxma said:

M & C,
    Sorry that you have

M & C,
    Sorry that you have to be here but this is the best place to be for what lies ahead. This is an incredible group that will be with you each step of the way with love, guidance, sympathy, honesty and care. Welcome to the group no one ever wants to join.
    Stef

WELCOME CAR
    I JUST GOT DIAGNOSED IN JULY I HAVE BEEN ON A ROLLER COASTER RIDE TO BUT THESE GIRLS IN A SHORT TIME HAVE BECOME MY STRENGTH THEY ARE SO SMART ABOUT THINGS I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF GOD BLESS YOU YOU WILL BE FINE LUV PEGGY
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    welcome
    I was diagnosed July 2nd , I know it is a lot to take in! Just try and take it day by day. In between my first mammo and the biopsies, it was 3 weeks and I lost 18 lbs from not eating, and I never slept. I still take a notebook to every dr appt with a list of questions to ask him because I just forget when I get there. These fabulous ladies on here have made me feel so welcome and given me great advice. Let us know how you are doing!monica
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Carolyn,I am so very sorry
    Carolyn,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother and your dx. I found out my dx 10 days after my fathers death.. I understand how it can just seem like too much. However... I am so glad that you found this group. It is full of amazing individuals.. You will find a wealth of information, support, friendship, support, laughter, and did I say support. Being scared is a natural reaction... we all feel it or have felt it... but the amazing thing here is, that no matter what you are feeling... we are here for you, with reassurance, drip dry lapels, and even cyber hugs.

Please come, read and post as often as you need.. let us know how you are doing..

Welcome..and gentle hugs to you.

~T
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    taleena said:

Carolyn,I am so very sorry
    Carolyn,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother and your dx. I found out my dx 10 days after my fathers death.. I understand how it can just seem like too much. However... I am so glad that you found this group. It is full of amazing individuals.. You will find a wealth of information, support, friendship, support, laughter, and did I say support. Being scared is a natural reaction... we all feel it or have felt it... but the amazing thing here is, that no matter what you are feeling... we are here for you, with reassurance, drip dry lapels, and even cyber hugs.

Please come, read and post as often as you need.. let us know how you are doing..

Welcome..and gentle hugs to you.

~T

Hello Carolyn~
    Im sorry about your moms passing, and your devastating news of your diagnosis. I understand from the perspective of hearing the news myself 6 mo after my mother had passed away from renal cell carcinoma~and having to tell my 4 kids who were 15-17-19-23 at the time. They wondered if I was going to die like their grandmother did. This whole ordeal has made us stronger as a family. We have bonded together with great strength and a faith that cannot be shaken.
    I wish you the best in the days to come.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    scared
    I AM SORRY TO HEAR YOUR NEWS ABOUT BC. ITS BEEN ALMOST 2 MONTHS SINCE I FIRST HEARD THOSE HORIBLE WORDS BREAST CANCER.AND LIKE YOU TELLING MY GROW SON AND DAUGHTER WAS THE HARDEST.AND IT TRULLY WAS THE SCARTEST I HAVE EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE.BUT I HAVE MOVED ON.TWO SURGERYS AND LOTS OF TEST.WAITING TO SEE WHAT TREATMENTS I WILL BE HAVING.I HAVE CAME A LONG WAYS SINCE I FIRST CAME ON THIS WEB SIGHT.THE PEOPLE ARE SO VERY NICE AND UNDERSTANDING.IT WILL HELP YOU ALOT.EVERYONE IS SO GREAT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.AND AS I WAS TOLD IT IS NORMAL TO BE SCARED.AND WHEN THEIR IS SOMETHING ON YOUR MIND YOU CAN NOT TALK TO YOUR FAMILY ABOUT THIS SIGHT IS HERE.GOD BLESS YOU.AND KEEP US POSTED. PAT.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    scared
    I AM SORRY TO HEAR YOUR NEWS ABOUT BC. ITS BEEN ALMOST 2 MONTHS SINCE I FIRST HEARD THOSE HORIBLE WORDS BREAST CANCER.AND LIKE YOU TELLING MY GROW SON AND DAUGHTER WAS THE HARDEST.AND IT TRULLY WAS THE SCARTEST I HAVE EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE.BUT I HAVE MOVED ON.TWO SURGERYS AND LOTS OF TEST.WAITING TO SEE WHAT TREATMENTS I WILL BE HAVING.I HAVE CAME A LONG WAYS SINCE I FIRST CAME ON THIS WEB SIGHT.THE PEOPLE ARE SO VERY NICE AND UNDERSTANDING.IT WILL HELP YOU ALOT.EVERYONE IS SO GREAT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.AND AS I WAS TOLD IT IS NORMAL TO BE SCARED.AND WHEN THEIR IS SOMETHING ON YOUR MIND YOU CAN NOT TALK TO YOUR FAMILY ABOUT THIS SIGHT IS HERE.GOD BLESS YOU.AND KEEP US POSTED. PAT.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Carolyn
    Wow you really have not had a good month have you? I am so sorry about the loss of your mom. I lost both my parents in the last 5 years and it really is tough not to mention getting the diagnosis 3 weeks later.

Please know that we are all here for you. There is so much wisdom, kindness and support here it truly will overwelm you.

Post often and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Diagnosed today
    Carolyn,
    Welcome to the network. We understand it is a very tough! Please, Do be scared, cancer should be scared of your determination to win.
    I was diagnosed about 12 months ago. I have had a Stage 3 and underwent surgery, Chemo, and Radiation.
    New Flower

Carolyn, just want to say
    Carolyn, just want to say how sorry I am. Sending you hugs!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Carolyn
    Wow you really have not had a good month have you? I am so sorry about the loss of your mom. I lost both my parents in the last 5 years and it really is tough not to mention getting the diagnosis 3 weeks later.

Please know that we are all here for you. There is so much wisdom, kindness and support here it truly will overwelm you.

Post often and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs
    Linda T

Welcome Carolyn!

Welcome Carolyn!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763

Welcome Carolyn!

Welcome Carolyn!

God Bless.........
    I'm so glad you found us too. I guess everyone has said what I would have said so all I can add is DITTO! Welcome to the fold.
    Pat
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    padee6339 said:

God Bless.........
    I'm so glad you found us too. I guess everyone has said what I would have said so all I can add is DITTO! Welcome to the fold.
    Pat

carolyn
    Im sorry that you found out about your dianosis so soon after your moms passing. I know how hard it is to have to tell your children too. I have three who are 15,13 and 11. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how you are doing.

laura
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    lolad said:

carolyn
    Im sorry that you found out about your dianosis so soon after your moms passing. I know how hard it is to have to tell your children too. I have three who are 15,13 and 11. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how you are doing.

laura

Carolyn, so sorry to hear of
    Carolyn, so sorry to hear of your mother's passing & your diagnosis. My mom has been a great source of comfort since my July dx. I have had the surgery & am currently halfway through radiation--just taking it a day at a time. Keep us posted on your treatment--you have found a family that cares about you here.

Hugs & prayers sent to you...
  • DEwill
    DEwill Member Posts: 5
    I know how you feel
    Take deep breathes. I have 2 sons also and went thru this starting April 11, 2009. Sometimes I think my sons have taken it worse than I have.
    Try to encourage them to stay calm until all the information is avaialable. ONe of my sons stayed strong and the other one stuck his head in the sand and when he does realize what is going on, panicks over and over. I guess this is just the nature of each one. My husband had a major heart attach 1 week after we learned of my breat cancer. He is doing well but I have that additional worry.

I was also scaread and didn't feel like I could show it to my husband and boys because I wanted to save them from the terror I was feeling.
    Once I met with the Breast Cancer Surgeon, and I asked my sons and husband to go to the appt. with me. She talked to them and me, gave us details of what would happen 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. etc. This seemed to calm them some and I was able to open up a little more.

I am so sorry about your mother. No one understands unless they have gone through this loss. It took me 6 months to speaak about mother without crying. I cannot imagine going through this crazy cancer along with such a loss.

I will pray for you and your family to have strength and guidance.

Write your questions down as they come up. When you get to the Dr. I could not think of anything. My first visit I had 26 questions. Some were important and some were just curious. If you have a good dr they will not mind answering..

Keep us informed and if there is anything I can do to help you through this let me know.
  • DEwill
    DEwill Member Posts: 5
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Carolyn
    I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this on top of the grief you must be feeling for your mother. Telling your sons must have been very difficult as well. I know it may not feel like it, but there is some good news in your diagnosis. Well differentiated means that the cancer cells look and behave like normal cells. This indicates a less aggressive cancer, which is always good. My cells were poorly differentiated and classified as grade 3 (different from stages), and my prognosis is still good. There are many aspects to cancer and, unfortunately, you will be on a crash course in the months to come. But you are starting off with -- relatively -- good news. Come here for questions, support, and whatever else you need.

Mimi

Carolyn Pathology Report
    Did you get the information regarding the type stage etc. from the Dr? I have not beeengiven detail of this and would like to know more about it.
  • Briterstar
    Briterstar Member Posts: 2

New
    I see the surgeon on Wednesday to determine when surgery will occur. The second opinion clinic and I have agreed on the lumpectomy. The surgeon presented mastetomy(misspelled) and Lumpectomy choices, but since the % for recurrence were so close it seemed insignificant.

I do like the website connection. I have lots of up times, few down ones when I am alone mainly. Just glad to write this. I will start journaling tomorrow. Sorry for the rambling, but just needed to talk.

Oh, I have been reading a lot on nutrition, since I am overweight so I am changing that immediately regardless.

Lumpectomy vs Mastectomy
    Hi, When I was originally diagnosed with BC, I was told that I needed a Mastectomy. After a couple weeks of tests (MRI's CT Scams, etc) I too, was given the option of a Lumpectomy or Mastectomy because of the size of the tumor. I debated this for several more weeks.. What to do? I prayed alot and decided on the Mastectomy. My surgeon, after the surgury, when she got the pathology results, said that I made the right decision. Because of the size of my breasts, the tumor was larger and growing faster than they thought. There were 2 additional tumors that were not previously detected. They also told me originally that it appears that the Lymoh nodes were most likey not affected. Guess what? They found cancer in the sentinel node and removed all my Lymph nodes on the right side. If I had gone with the Lumpectomy, I would still have had to get a Mastectomy at a later date and who knows how much this may have grown/spread before being detected!

I know that each one of us is a unique individual and all our cancers have distinct characteristics but make sure you have answered all your questions before making a final decision. In the meantime, I will pray for you.

Terry
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Hi Carolyn,
    I'm so sorry to

Hi Carolyn,

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I don't think any of us will forget that day either! My sympathies for the loss of your Mother. You will bounce all over the place emotionally and that is normal. Being scared is never a good thing, but it is normal. What I like to remember is that today, the diagnosis of breast cancer is NOT a death sentence. I hope that you and your 2 sons hold on to that. You are going to be okay, you may have a rough road or a paved road. Just know that you are not alone on your journey. This is a wonderful group that will give you whatever support you need 24/7. You will be in my thoughts.

Love and gentle hugs,
    Donna
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    You will be ok. You can get
    You will be ok. You can get through this. I know how terrified you are right now. And you've got some stuff to get through but it is all doable. For me chemo was the thing I was most afraid of but even that turned out not to be as b ad as I thought. Keep us informed. We will all be here for you. God bless, Eil
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    DEwill said:

Carolyn Pathology Report
    Did you get the information regarding the type stage etc. from the Dr? I have not beeengiven detail of this and would like to know more about it.

Hi DEwill and welcome to the
    Hi DEwill and welcome to the boards. Hope to see you posting more and telling us about yourself.

Lex♥
  • PGirlSTL
    PGirlSTL Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Hi Carolyn, I know how you feel, I was diagnosed with invasive ductal AND invasive lobular carcinoma July 24 (my doc says only 10% get both at the same time, I guess I'm an overachiever)It's such a roller coaster, especially at first. In four weeks I've had 2 ultrasounds, an MRI, a mammo, and I'm having my third lumpectomy attempt next week. I haven't found a support group I really fit into, most of the BC groups are older women with grandkids, and the young people groups are for people 20-30. I turned 41 2 days after my diag. I'm divorced with a 5 year old son and family out of town. Lean on your family and friends! The hardest part for me is going home to the empty house and having no one to cry on. Stay strong, we will beat this!!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    PGirlSTL said:

Hi
    Hi Carolyn, I know how you feel, I was diagnosed with invasive ductal AND invasive lobular carcinoma July 24 (my doc says only 10% get both at the same time, I guess I'm an overachiever)It's such a roller coaster, especially at first. In four weeks I've had 2 ultrasounds, an MRI, a mammo, and I'm having my third lumpectomy attempt next week. I haven't found a support group I really fit into, most of the BC groups are older women with grandkids, and the young people groups are for people 20-30. I turned 41 2 days after my diag. I'm divorced with a 5 year old son and family out of town. Lean on your family and friends! The hardest part for me is going home to the empty house and having no one to cry on. Stay strong, we will beat this!!

Hi PGirlSTL and welcome to
    Hi PGirlSTL and welcome to the site. You will find an amazing group of bc survivors here that will offer you support and encouragement. The ages on here, I think, go from the 20's to the 70's. So, there is a wide range, but, everyone is great to help you! Hope you like the group!

Leeza