My Anal Cancer Experience

Options

Comments

• dawn_g
    dawn_g Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Hi , I was diagnosed with stage 2 about a month ago and I will be getting treatment in a few days. I am having a tremendous amount of pain and a lot of bleeding, and this really frightens me. I guess I am a huge baby. I was given tramadol which doesn't help and tylenol arthritis strength. When the pain is unbearable, I have been taking halt of an oxycodone (against Dr orders), that was given to me by a friend. I drink mineral oil with it so I don't get constipated. I am in such pain sometimes that I have considered asking to go on hospice and morphine and just go be with Jesus, but I have a lot of people who love me and count on me so I know I can't do that. Sorry for venting

• bbee22
    bbee22 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Is there a reason your doctor won't give you anything stronger for pain? If there is not a valid reason, please ask for a different doctor and/or to be seen by a palliative care doctor. I am very surprised by this because I was in extreme pain and they gave me as much as I needed. You'll just have to wean off the stronger pain medication when you no longer need it. Potential dependence us bit a valid reason to deny someone of pain relieving medication. Take care. You are not a baby. You must be your own advocate and demand pain relief. Good luck.

• dawn_g
    Options

They said it will cause me to be constipated. I am with Kaiser and I have asked 3 or 4 different doctors there and I got the same answer. MYbe I will ask for pallative care. I haven't tried that

• McG
    McG Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I'm so happy my info helped you!

Regarding your post about pain and pain meds - as someone else mentioned, constipation is the problem with them. My doc gave me a pain killing topical lidocaine creme. It didn't take all the pain away but it really helped after movements. Try asking your team about it.

Remember that all of this is temporary. Before you know it everything will be in the past!

Grant

• bbee22
    bbee22 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Constipation associated with pain relief medications can be managed with senna tablets or other natural laxatives.

• Cantu
    Cantu Member Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. I am 75 years old and was recently diagnosed with Stage II squamous cell carcinoma in the rectal-anus area. I'm not sure if I want to go through treatment. What you said about quality of life really spoke to me. I've heard this treatment is very hard for those with osteoporosis which I have had. Have you had any problems with that? I know I will die of something at some point. I just want to enjoy my life for as long as I can, and when it's no longer enjoyable, I want to be able to go with some dignity. Living with a cracked or broken pelvis is not my idea of fun. Knowing what you know now, would you still choose to take the treatment? I understand if you do not want to answer my questions, and I wish you all the best in your recovery! Thank you for your time.

• dawn_g
    edited August 2022 #48
    Options

Hi, Cantu,

I saw your post and wanted to answer you. I too have stage 2 squamous cell carcinoma in the anus, and I have been having radiation and chemo for 1 1/2 weeks. I am 74, but I never considered not taking the treatment. I have family members and friends who love me and want me around still, and I still have things I want to do. I know it would be easy to give up and just go see Jesus, but I and you have at least 10 more years on this earth, and I think we should live them and make the best of them. Yes, I do have excruciating pain at times, and the chemo pills make me nauseous, but I know it will only be for a season, and I will be ok. I encourage you to do the same. I will pray for you that you do, and that it will be an easy ride for you. We can chat on this forum and hold each other up.

• dawn_g
    Options

Oh, also, I have ostiopenia which means almost osteoporosis, and I chose to have Proton radiation therapy, as it does not go through your body, and hits only the tumor and a little bit around it, so it does not hit your hips, where we are so susceptable to fractures. You might check that out to see if you can go to one in your area. If you have medicare I think it would cover most of it.

• Cantu
    Options

Hi Dawn,

I really appreciate the response and information. It makes me feel better that someone else close to my age is getting this treatment because maybe it will work for me as well! I never heard of the Proton radiation treatment but it sounds better if it only targets the tumor. How are you doing with the chemo? Any weight loss? I’m only 97 lbs right now so I don’t have any excess weight to lose.

I would definitely like to take you up on your offer to hold each other up! I’m glad you’ve been managing the treatment well. I will also say my prayers that you will get the healing you need and spend the rest of your years in good health! Please keep me updated on your progress! You have given me some hope I didn’t have before.

Thank you!

• Cantu
    Options

Hi DC,

I just wanted to follow up and see how you’re doing now? I hope all is well and life is good for you!

• dcboy
    dcboy Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi Cantu,

How thoughtful of you to check up on me. The news is good. I see I last posted in October last year which seems a lifetime ago. All of the post treatment symptoms of loss of appetite, weight, energy, and pain from that time finally went away. I had a follow-up CT scan in December which was good. And then I had another biopsy last April at the request of my new oncologist which came back benign. So right now things are good and I am enjoying life. I hope all is going well for you as well.

• Cantu
    Options

That’s great to hear! I am so happy for you. Wishing you a long and happy life! 😋

• dawn_g
    Options

I am in my third week of treatment now, and will get a xcan to see if my tumor shrank. I get nauseated a lot, but so far I have not lost weight. Some foods are beginning to taste weird to me now. Forgive me if I skip a couple of days. I have to go out of town for the proton radiation, because there is only onc center here, so I have to unpack and pack every week

• Cantu
    Options

Good luck with your treatment! I will say prayers for you at church today. Blessings 🙏🏻

• dawn_g
    Options

I keep experiencing new things happening to my body every day. Now I have a cough, and my stomach hurts when I eat anything. I can't wait until the treatment is done. I know I have to have patience, though, and rely on God's plan for me.

• Cantu
    Options

Hi Dawn,

Hope you’re doing ok! Another week of treatment and getting closer to it being over. I’m waiting to hear when mine will start. Hopefully soon! I’ll say my prayers for you at church. Feel better soon!

• dawn_g
    Options

Hi, Cantu, I have been getting treatment for about 3 weeks now. I am off 3 days for labor day weekend, which I need, because the chemo pills make me so sick! Today I ate a whole chicken salad from a restaurant and was able to keep it down. I hope you start treatment soon! You are in my prayers!✝️🙏❤️💕

• Cantu
    Options

Hi Dawn, I have been thinking about you and hope you are doing well. How are you feeling now that you have had your treatments for a few weeks? Hope you enjoyed you 3 days off. Praying for you also Dawn let me know how you are doing.

• dawn_g
    Options

Hi, Cantu, I was thinking about you, and I am glad you posted. I have completed 17 days of treatment, and I feel a lot bettr. My pain is much betterand I am so gratefil. I am sooo sleepy tight now, I will talk to you soon. So good to hear from you.

• Cantu
    Options

Hi Dawn I am very happy to hear you are doing much better, I still have not started my treatments yet waiting to talk to the radiologist which is scheduled next week, I am supposed to get my pick line next week also. Not looking forward to any of this .