Fatigue

AnnissaP
AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member

Did/does anyone diagnosed with rcc have extreme fatigue?? For the past 3 mths (before even being diagnosed) I have been completely exhausted. Not a normal stressed or lazy tired.... I mean an "absolutely cannot stay awake" tired. I am not a coffee person, but I now have caffeine every day to try to help and it doesn't even work!!! I also read you can have low iron due to rcc. I had it checked in June and my iron level is only a 5. I am sure this has something to do with it. Thanks!!!!

Comments

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2017 #2
    Looking back.......about a

Looking back.......about a year before my wife was diagnosed she too was extremely tired. More so the last few months before but we thought back and can pinpoint about a year bac. She would literally fall sound asleep on the couch at night by 8:30 most nights. 

We just thought she was working hard and being in her mid 40s that she was slowing down. We should known but a cancer diagnosis was the farthest thing from our minds.

since having the "Demon" out she has more energy and can make it to a normal bed time now. Lol

it took a few months post surgery tho but she gets better every day.

hope you get some relief soon.

• Dutch1
    Dutch1 Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2017 #3
    I'm no stranger to fatigue

I don't know what your situation is as to partial or complete surgery or if you're on any sort of chemo.  I can relate my experience.  I had a complete removal of my right kidney and assorted other parts.  Before the surgery (for months before) I was often fatigued.  After surgery, I slept the afternoons away -- or at least part of them.  Now, four plus years later, I still tire easily.  However, I have been on chemo almost that entire time, so I attribute my current problem with fatigue to the drugs. 

This fatigue thing is another thing that's thrown at us as we learn to live with the disease and it's after-effects.

Hope you find a way to deal with the symptom.

Dutch

• Optimisticgirl
    Optimisticgirl Member Posts: 82 Member
    edited October 2017 #4
    Looking back

My husband had been feeling exhausted after coming home from work in evenings. We chalked it up to being 62 and a job he rather dreaded. He would come home and do a deep breath/sigh and I assumed it was his way of saying he was glad to be home. Would then sit in recliner and nap often until shower and bedtime.  He had begun really talking retirement in the last year because he felt so "old". Lab work always came back fine, cancer did not enter our thoughts.  He had full nephrectomy of right kidney on Sept 6 for ccrcc and still complains of fatigue on occasion but not like it was presurgery. Also noticed more pink in his cheeks since surgery. He had been looking pale and as before chalked it up to age. We are northerners and heading to Florida at the end of this month for a well deserved vacation and hope to get some sun, fun and relaxation in.  Wishing you the best of luck!

• Angie1496
    Angie1496 Member Posts: 154
    I had days where I would be

I had days where I would be exhausted but not many.  I worked everyday and went to the gym after work.  Since my surgery I do find myself tiring easily. I am chalking that up to my kidney healing itself.  This Wednesday will be 4 weeks since surgery.  I am back at work onsite today but have been working from home for the last 3 weeks.  

• AnnissaP
    Thank you everyone!!! As I

Thank you everyone!!! As I sit here it is even difficult to keep my eyes open. All of a sudden I just shut down and absolutely have to sleep. I see the surgeon/oncologist tomorrow. My urologist said it should be a partial nephrectomy I will have. I guess I will know by this time tomorrow!!! I cannot wait to have energy again. It bothers me bc I am used to being a super active and healthy person. I wish you all the best for your recoveries and futures!!!!!

• Bellafelice
    Bellafelice Member Posts: 57 Member
    Fatique answer

In terms of your fatique question, my hubby was extremely tired for at least 6 months before he was diagnosed with kidney cancer. He was always sleeping after work, to the point I joked that he looked like he was in a retirement home all the time (at age 56). After his nephrectomy the color came back to his face overnight and when he was healed from the surgery his energy returned. Fast forward from 2008 to 20017 when he had mets for the first time-extreme tiredness again before we found out the cancer reared its ugly head again. Now he is on 800 mg of Votrient-and he is responding to it-but he still has bouts of fatique intermingled with times he feels extremely energetic.

Hope this info helps and write anytime with any other questions. Everyone is here for you on this board. You may also want to check out Smart Patients-they have excellent people and posts on all areas of kidney cancer!

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited October 2017 #8
    WOW Annisa, iron is at a 5?

WOW Annisa, iron is at a 5? No wonder you are so fatigued. Look up foods that build iron and SLOW FE (non constipating) is usually recommended. What is your doctor telling you? 

I had to demand to have Iron checked following my nephrectomy. My surgeon didn't think it would be a problem, but turned out I was iron deficient. Also make sure your diet is rich in greens and other nutrients to build you up for this surgery. 

Many of the medicaitons, used for general anesthesia are strong and take awhile to leave our system. Plus then you'll be on opiates for awhile. Make sure you use ice packs over incisions to reduce swelling/edema which is natural after any surgery. It will reduce your need to need opiates for long. 

I also recommend using a lumbar, velcro wrap, used for back support to hold those aching muscles/tissues as you recovery. It helped me get up, and out of a chair or bed. I even wore it to bed. I place ice packs inside of it, but over underwear to help reduce swelling. It helped a lot! Therefore I didn't need opiates for very long.

Healing hugs, 

Jan

• AnnissaP
    Jan4you said:

WOW Annisa, iron is at a 5? No wonder you are so fatigued. Look up foods that build iron and SLOW FE (non constipating) is usually recommended. What is your doctor telling you? 

I had to demand to have Iron checked following my nephrectomy. My surgeon didn't think it would be a problem, but turned out I was iron deficient. Also make sure your diet is rich in greens and other nutrients to build you up for this surgery. 

Many of the medicaitons, used for general anesthesia are strong and take awhile to leave our system. Plus then you'll be on opiates for awhile. Make sure you use ice packs over incisions to reduce swelling/edema which is natural after any surgery. It will reduce your need to need opiates for long. 

I also recommend using a lumbar, velcro wrap, used for back support to hold those aching muscles/tissues as you recovery. It helped me get up, and out of a chair or bed. I even wore it to bed. I place ice packs inside of it, but over underwear to help reduce swelling. It helped a lot! Therefore I didn't need opiates for very long.

Healing hugs, 

Jan

He said it could def be

He said it could def be caused by the tumor. He said we will know for sure once it is out and if my iron starts to go back up. What an awful feeling!! Surgery is booked for Nov.7th! He is not 100% sure yet if he will take part or all of my kidney. I have read comments on using a lumbar wrap. We actually have one!!! Thank you for all of the info!!!!

• meljg
    meljg Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017 #10
    AnnissaP said:

Thank you everyone!!! As I

Thank you everyone!!! As I sit here it is even difficult to keep my eyes open. All of a sudden I just shut down and absolutely have to sleep. I see the surgeon/oncologist tomorrow. My urologist said it should be a partial nephrectomy I will have. I guess I will know by this time tomorrow!!! I cannot wait to have energy again. It bothers me bc I am used to being a super active and healthy person. I wish you all the best for your recoveries and futures!!!!!

Have you had your thyroid

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? My husband is Stage IV and the treatment (Sutent) has resulted in a significant drop in his thyroid levels which is contributing to his fatigue. He has felt quite a bit better now they are sorting that out. Not sure whether you've been having any treatment prior to surgery but there are quite a few medications that can mess with your thyroid. Might be worth getting it checked out. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

• AnnissaP
    meljg said:

Have you had your thyroid

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? My husband is Stage IV and the treatment (Sutent) has resulted in a significant drop in his thyroid levels which is contributing to his fatigue. He has felt quite a bit better now they are sorting that out. Not sure whether you've been having any treatment prior to surgery but there are quite a few medications that can mess with your thyroid. Might be worth getting it checked out. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Thank you! Just had bloodwork

Thank you! Just had bloodwork in July and thyroid is all good. My iron is quite low. I have had that happen before, but this fatigue is different :-(

• Rockspin
    Rockspin Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2017 #12
    I too had fatigue before

I too had fatigue before being diagnosed. It wasn't normal tired but weary. Since surgery 3 weeks ago I do feel so much better. Also before surgery I was. Instantly having to empty my bladder and that has also stopped. I hope this good feeling lasts.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Fatique

after neph and anemia has been discussed by many. I don't remember the details but fe supplements were usually recommended.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    AnnissaP said:

He said it could def be

He said it could def be caused by the tumor. He said we will know for sure once it is out and if my iron starts to go back up. What an awful feeling!! Surgery is booked for Nov.7th! He is not 100% sure yet if he will take part or all of my kidney. I have read comments on using a lumbar wrap. We actually have one!!! Thank you for all of the info!!!!

Why on earth would ANY doctor

Why on earth would ANY doctor make you wait till AFTER surgery to build up your iron? It could only be worse then. Slow FE is non-constipating, over the counter. Consult with your primary then, but please, do not wait till after surgery a you do have some blood loss. Geesh..

Let me know what your primary says ok?

Hugs, Jan

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited October 2017 #15
    Yes, I'm taking slo FE 2x a

Yes, I'm taking slo FE 2x a day. I'm usually iron deficient but after surgery it really dropped. And my hemoglobin went to six. So don't wait till after; discuss it with your physician and start taking it if approved.

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Jan4you said:

Healing hugs, 

Jan

The opiates thing...

Some of us get opiates for a while after surgery, some not. So don't feel bad if you don't or special if you do. Just make sure you've got a plan for keeping your pain under control before you leave the hospital (and a plan for what to do if THAT plan isn't adequate). Lots of TLCs - definitely!

• AnnissaP
    edited October 2017 #17
    Jan4you said:

Why on earth would ANY doctor

Why on earth would ANY doctor make you wait till AFTER surgery to build up your iron? It could only be worse then. Slow FE is non-constipating, over the counter. Consult with your primary then, but please, do not wait till after surgery a you do have some blood loss. Geesh..

Let me know what your primary says ok?

Hugs, Jan

The one dr I saw did not even

The one dr I saw did not even consider 5 being low!!!!

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    Now that you mention it...

I hadn't really thought about it, but looking back, I was fatigued a lot before diagnosis and nephrectomy. I was just chalking it up to commuting 90 minutes each way into NYC, which is enough to wear anyone out. But in retrospect, I think I was unusually tired. By three months post-surgery, my energy was MUCH better.

• AnnissaP
    edited October 2017 #19

Now that you mention it...

I hadn't really thought about it, but looking back, I was fatigued a lot before diagnosis and nephrectomy. I was just chalking it up to commuting 90 minutes each way into NYC, which is enough to wear anyone out. But in retrospect, I think I was unusually tired. By three months post-surgery, my energy was MUCH better.

I hope mine comes back too!!

I hope mine comes back too!!

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Energy Vampires

That's what those little b***ards are all about. 

Donna~

• Angie1496
    Angie1496 Member Posts: 154
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Donna has

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Donna has me rolling... now I will call my tumor that jezebel ****!!!  I have been refering to it as Jezebel.