Newly diagnosed with a recurrent Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma

Options

Comments

• Dak82
    Dak82 Member Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I highly recommend the port. I didn’t have one for my 6 chemo treatments but when I found out I had to get immunotherapy treatments I decided to get one—good thing because the veins in my arms, which were always excellent for blood draws and IVs are now completely shot. I had my last chemo on 30 Mar 2021. Two weeks ago I tried to have blood drawn at my PCP’s office for a cervical CT and they tried 7 times in both arms and got half a tiny tube. My non-cancer clinic has no nurses qualified to access ports. But get the port now and save your arm veins!

Best wishes to you as you start this journey. I hesitate to always call this a fight—but it does involve all aspects of your being—physical, emotional, spiritual.

Deb1

• Ribbons
    Ribbons Member Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2022 #23
    Options

I had a port. It’s not a major surgery to put it in. I think there are a couple of different models, but mine was just a small hard round thing right under the skin on my chest about 5” below my collar bone. It was not too bothersome and I was very happy to have it for the chemo. I had to have weekly blood tests during chemo and they said the port could be used for that but I only did that once, for a blood test it was much simpler and quicker to just have my arm poked like usual. I also was preloaded with steroids. Early morning on treatment days i had to take a lot of steroid pills. I have never had high blood pressure, so I can’t comment on that. My blood pressure stayed normal but for the last two treatments I was allowed to cut way down on the steroids. They might talk to you about your neutrophils, that’s the part of your blood that helps fight infections. I had to have Neulasta for that, so if you have questions about that I can share my experience. Hang in there, it’s doable.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options

• HFTG61
    HFTG61 Member Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Wow. Godspeed to you. Thankyou for sharing and giving hope

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Kathy,

So glad to see you check in. Good luck with the surgery. I am so happy to hear from our long term members. Such an inspiration!

xxoo

Denise

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

These double posts are so annoying!

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Kathy,

You have given me such hope, same diagnosis (2020) and same stage and grade as you, 3A grade 2. I have a hernia now as well.

I was diagnosed a tad later than you at age 70 but looking forward to more years, too. NED so far.

My best to you and your future surgery.

((Hugs))

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Kathy,

Glad you took the plunge to post in the new site design. I'm always happy when you check back in with us.

I hope the surgery goes well. Getting rid of some of that scar tissue would be a relief I'm sure.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I just wanted to come lend my "best of luck" to you, and thank all the women who jumped forward to reassure you about getting a port. Sending love and luck!

Spring flowers are coming on. They sure cheered me up last year---although not quite as early. At this time last year, I was just dealing with appointments and the idea that I had uterine cancer. I didn't have a formal diagnosis until late February, but I can't help but marvel at how far I've come--and how much I've learned, and how much more relaxed I am--than I was last year at this time. I could not get "out of my head" to save my life last year. I had to learn a few techniques. I'm better now, and have many women here to thank for that.

Love to all--

Deb2

• HFTG61
    Options

Hope everyone is doing well. I anticipate my port being in on 2-17-22, then the nurse told me it looks like I will be starting my first treatment 2-25-22, so my prelinary labs must have been decent this past Monday. Though my glucose was on the high side #131. Must have been that oatmeal w/honey & banana & blueberries. Now I know to not have even natural sugar before labs if I'm not able to flush it out with water or excercise! LOL

Surely hope my anxieties fade away about these upcoming steroids and the Taxol. The treatment Medical Oncologist just let it all hang out during my Team mtg on Monday. Said he didn't want to sugarcoat anything. He used words like "incurable" and allergic reaction with "cardiac arrest". I just kept thinking " WOW!" I surely hope there are more empathetic chemo doctors out there! Just my luck that I opt for location as a top priority. My original Gyn Oncologist (who is writing my tx plan) is so much farther away and I miss him already. At least I can return to him once the cycles are over.

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

HFTG,

My gynocolgical oncologist, since pathology report, has focused on my Stage IIIA endometrial adenocarcinoma and extensive LVSI as high risk for reoccurence. He is very skilled and kind but not the most positive cheerleader. I appreciate his knowkedge and honesty.

I turn to certain friends and family and time but mostly the ladies on this site for my encouragement and inspiration. There are so many women here with high risk potential that are doing well and I am doing well. We move forward. Recently I received a " So Far, so Good!" comment from my Doc. That was nice!

Seek your encouragement from right resources. I found my chemo infusion staff so comforting each treatment. I was a part of a group of survivors and I felt kinship there. I hope you have the same experience. Treat yourself kindly, rest and eat well.

((Hugs))

• Ribbons
    Options
  • Ribbons
    Options

Try not to be overwhelmed with worry. Drs usually err on the side of caution, some just don’t have much tact. The chemo nurses will monitor you closely and watch for any kind of reaction. It may seem like a big dose of steroids but it’s only a temporary thing, if they see any problems with it the Dr will cut back on it. Your first treatment is kind of “let’s see how she does”, so they watch you real close. I hope your infusion place is warm and caring, most are. When the Dr gives you those grim sounding percentages focus on the survival numbers and put yourself in that group in your mind. I had such a rare cancer(clear cell) that not much is known about it except that it can be aggressive. But I put myself at the top of the survivor group and didn’t think much more about it. Now I’m 3 years out and still good. I have to add, prepare yourself for loosing your hair, that part was stressful for me.

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Hi, HFTG,

Of course it’s different for everyone, and different doctors do different things, but I had steroids in my IV before every infusion and it was fine. I’d made it clear I didn’t want them, and they made it equally clear that I didn’t have a choice! You have to avoid allergic reactions to the chemo.

My steroid would start to wear off about 24 hrs. post-infusion. That was evident because my face would start to feel flush and then hot and red. It was uncomfortable for 6-8 hours, but not terrible. I used gel masks I kept in the freezer, but they were mostly too cold. A cold washcloth was good.

I think all of us are afraid of that first infusion, but that’s normal & usually unwarranted! As others have said, rest assured that they are watching you very carefully and they will take care of you. There are very rare occurrences of adverse reactions, so they have to disclose. Because of stupid COVID, my husband couldn’t be with me, so I told him, “….if something bad starts to happen, I’ll text you! Don’t text me back!! Come up here immediately!” :))

I’m almost a year now since my last infusion. None of it is pleasant to remember, but it saved my life. So, Mission Accomplished.

Prayers to you! You can do this!

❤️, Alicia

• HFTG61
    Options

alicia2020

Oh, your post is SO helpful and taken to heart. They did mention I may get the "flushed" feelings. Thanks for the cool masks tip!

• HFTG61
    Options

Ribbons

No, that's not a priority for me. My hair is thick, curly, & most times unruly! I am usually braiding it every few days or pinning it up. I def lose my mind if I ever could no longer see, hear, or speak. Those would make me totally independent.

So I'm hoping I can keep remembering that the hair will grow back someday!

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

HFTG,

So glad I could help! I wasn’t warned about the flushing & freaked out a little!

You’ll feel this in the future…..During treatment you want to be here often! You have a million questions & need support, and most of all, HOPE!! That’s what we’re here for! After treatment, a lot of us don’t come back as regularly. It’s a little hard because it’s a stark reminder of what we went through ourselves. But we come back to help new sisters, knowing how vitally important it was that someone was there for us.

Most of the other boards on CSN are very, very quiet. We are sooooo lucky here! I’m completely grateful every day for the lovely ladies on this board who were willing to experience some of that discomfort to be here to help me. I’m trying to do the same. 😘

❤️, Alicia

• Ribbons
    Options

I agree with alicia2020, after my treatment was done I didn’t visit here much. Lately though I have been checking in to try to be helpful. The steroids I had were pills and I had to take a lot of them in the early mornings on treatment days. I didn’t have too much flushing, just kind of rosy cheeks, but my husband said on those days I was “fiesty” Lol