Newly diagnosed with a recurrent Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma

Options
124»

Comments

• HFTG61
    HFTG61 Member Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I have been watching my labs, specifically my Phil's- on the low side. Anything I can do to bring them up diet wise? I gets lots of fruit & veggies. Does the neulasta have side effects too?

• Ribbons
    Ribbons Member Posts: 150 Member
    Options

As far as I know you cannot control your neutrophils with diet. I researched a bit and couldn’t find anything that worked. I don’t know your Drs protocols but mine had a cutoff point and when I dropped below that I had to have Neulasta. Yes, it can cause your bones to ache, that is not permanent. You need to take Claritin to help or prevent that. They don’t know exactly why that works, but it does. I had the little timed device that was attached on my side instead of the injection because I live quite a distance from my Onc facility. Neulasta has to be given at a specific time after the chemo infusion. After that little thing gives you the dose, you take it off, not a big deal. One other thing, Neulasta is very expensive and not all insurances cover it, I got help from a non profit health care place.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Options

With the Neulasta (I also had the "on-body injector," but mine was on my arm), I'm thinking it was something like 26 hours after it was applied. The bone pain started about 24 hours after the dose was administered, and lasted 24 to 36 hours. And by the way, it has a little green light that blinks so you know it's okay. Really weird on my arm at night! Not everyone has bone pain, so maybe you won't.

The explanation I got was that as the drug stimulates your bone marrow to produce more blood cells, one of the by-products of this process is histamines. LOTS of histamines! For many, the pain is mostly in the larger bones, specifically the femur. The first time I had trouble finding a position that was comfortable, so I didn't sleep well the first night (meaning two nights after chemo). I think the lack of sleep exacerbated my discomfort, because I don't do well when sleep-deprived. After I switched to benadryl, I still had the aches but not bad enough to interfere with sleeping or activity.

• HFTG61
    Options

Bless you for sharing this & explaining it so well. Can't say I'm looking forward to any bone related pain. And I am like you . . .without sleep, my entire next day is off the rails! Thanks again.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I always had bad pains in my legs starting the third day after the carboplatin/taxol treatments that lasted about three days. The first time it happened I tried Advil, etc. but Benedryl finally knocked me out so that I could sleep. Then I took Aleve, which mostly helped.

When I told the oncologist, he allowed me to take a prescription dosage of Aleve during those three days since that's always been a reliable pain reliver for me. But by the time I started Ifosfamide/Doxorubicin, I had learned about taking Claritin. So I took that, along with the Neulasta shot.

I didn't have the leg pains during that chemo. Although given how bad I felt in other ways during those treatments, I would have preferred the leg pains.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Options

That's true, the carbo/taxol can also cause bone pain. Funny about the Aleve - naproxen does nothing for me. The prescription strength was given to me for a knee problem and I just gave up because it made no difference.

• HFTG61
    Options
  • cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I have the same problem with Tylenol. I've never found it to be effective for me, regardless of what it's been recommended for. I don't even bother to keep it in the house anymore since it's never worked.