Another Update since I went to CTCA Atlanta

Options

Comments

• Kathy G.
    Kathy G. Member Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Hi Ms. Taylor!

You certainly have more stress on you than is fair to anyone. A cancer diagnosis by itself is overwhelming by itself, but adding in the other components of being so young, losing the ability to have children, the financial strain and situation with your parents, brother and the farm just puts your anxiety and tolerance level thru the roof!

As the other ladies have said our hearts go out to you!

I am in agreement with moving forward with the surgery as soon as possible. I remember the time between diagnosis and surgery as being the worst! It was so stressful not knowing what to expect and how I would deal with any required medical procedures after surgery be it chemo , radiation, etc.

So moving forward will eliminate some of your stress even if you have new concerns as your journey progresses. But one thing at a time.

I had my surgery at 55. I was extremely overweight, had high blood pressure, sleep apnea and afib. But aside from bladder spasms my recovery was very easy. Never took the pain meds...tylenol sufficed for the first couple days. I WAS tired for a couple weeks, but gradually got back to normal and to my job within 8 weeks.

Obviously I can't predict the same for you, but being younger and doing all the physical activity involved in caring for your parents and running the farm is in your favor.

I also agree with MoeKay about talking to the hospital social worker about any help she may know of for your situation. I would also suggest calling the Aging & Disability program run by your state to see what they might offer in terms of help for your parents. And your gyn/oc office may also have a social worker on staff.

I would start reaching out now bc between covid affecting everyone's workload and so much short staffing these days it may take longer to get callbacks.

Most states also have a 211 helpline number where you can call for help and they make referrals.

At any rate my two cents worth of advice...take what you like and leave the rest 🙂🙂

And please keep us posted.

Kathy

• misstaylor84
    misstaylor84 Member Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Surgery date is February 8. I'm going to try to find clothes that I can wear because from what I have heard from others is that they couldn't even tolerate their underwear band so I doubt my sweat pants will feel comfy. It's going to probably be cold though so I don't want to just wear a dress. Maybe maternity sweat pants since they have a really wide stretchy band, but then there's the issue of having the money to buy anything.

I am going to start taking stool softeners probably a week before surgery because I tend to have a hard time going anyway. I have no idea what to take with me for a possible overnight stay. I know I need to be monitored closely because after the last procedure my sugar went up to nearly 500! The last thing I need is to slip into a diabetic coma. I am going to bring my meter, sanitary pads, my meds, and my phone and charger. I'm going to buy some slip-on shoes so I don't have to hopefully bend over or down to put my shoes on. I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to sleep comfortably because I'm a side sleeper and others have said the best way is flat on your back so I may have to sleep sitting up in a recliner. I also don't handle most pain meds that make you sleepy very well. Codeine makes me super sick and I don't even take Nyquil because I stop breathing unless I'm consciously thinking about breathing and it gives me awful dreams. I will ask my doctor about what she usually prescribes and let her know about my issues. When I had my D&C she told me to just take Ibuprofen and Tylenol. The first D&C I was prescribed Toradol.

Hubby said he will work close to home as long as I need him. I told him 2 weeks so he said he'll stay close for 3 weeks. I'm still very worried about taking care of our dogs and my pitbull jumping up on me or my Great Dane smacking me in the belly with his tail. I'm working on teaching them a different routine so hopefully I don't get smacked.

It is an 8 hour drive to the Cancer Treatment Center but flying makes me super nervous and I get motion sick at take-off and take-off is pretty bumpy and last time it took a good 45 minutes to get through security. I think I would rather take the car so if I need to get out and walk I can and if I need to lay down I can stretch out in the back seat.

I'm going to pick up these lozenges they have in the gift shop that are supposed to help with nausea. Last time I did have nausea after the procedure for about a week, which I didn't have the first time.

I'm bringing a big soft pillow to hold against my stomach to hopefully help with bumps.

Anything else I should bring or get for when I'm back home?

• Momschooling
    Momschooling Member Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I just had my surgery 2 days ago. I ended up getting it done through Dana Farber after not feeling comfortable with my previous location. My son lives in Cambridge so that's why this was possible. I had a laparoscopy with mini laparotomy because my uterus was too enlarged. I would definitely recommend anti nausea meds and a lot of light snack foods. I still haven't felt like eating anything regular beyond yogurt, soup etc..also peeing can be an issue but know it does improve. Good luck!

• yetti
    yetti Member Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Hello Miss Taylor, sorry to hear you have to have the hysterectomy. I could only image how you must feel , I was just up at CTCA. Had my Jan 3 mth checkup. I was hoping to have been there when you will be there !

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Ms. Taylor,

February is almost here and your scheduled surgery. It sounds like you and your husband are well prepared.

All I can add is to rest often, follow that lifting warning and that same pillow you use in the backseat will prove well held against your stomach for coughs or sneezes and deter any unwelcome dog jumps.

((Hugs))

• misstaylor84
    misstaylor84 Member Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Yesterday my appointments started at 7:15 and my last one was at 2:30 so I had a very busy day. I met with an Internal Medicine doctor who struck me as very good and very kind. He looked at my images of my adrenal gland and said no, it is fine and doesn't need any biopsy, bloodwork, etc. He said it was just an incidental finding and if it was bad my weight would have started to climb, my sugar would be really high and other negative effects that I am not having. So that's a major worry lifted from my shoulders. I also met with a nurse on my doctor's team and she did a lot to relieve some of my fears and anxiety. I also got my pre-op and post-op instructions and am so relieved to know I do not have to do a nasty bowel cleanse. My pre-op instructions will be super easy. I also told them I was worried more about waking up in severe pain and they all told me their aim is to keep pain below a 4 at all times and they check with me what my pain level is constantly. Of course I know they often inject a painkiller and numbing agent in the incision site that will keep most of the pain away for the first 24 hours so after that is when I'll start hurting. The nurse also told me aside from what they would normally expect, like elevated white blood cell count, my labs look perfect.

Every single person at CTCA is just wonderful. When the Internal Medicine doctor was ten minutes late, the nurse informed me it would be just a little longer and asked me if I needed anything. Later in the day, my EKG was running late and the lady who checked me in called them to see what the hold up was and when I was finally called back, the technician apologized. Most of the time, other doctors I have had at home never apologize or even care if they are late.

The environment here is just completely different. I have ran into several people multiple times and they remember us and we recognize when someone is there for the first time and offer them encouragement and share our experience. One lady in the waiting room was talking to another patient about God and doctors will stop and say hi to patients when they are just walking down the hall or in the cafeteria. That's unlike anything I have ever experienced and I am still thankful to be surrounded by such caring people. When you walk through the doors it's like you become part of a really amazing family. And they are letting caregivers in the building again but they can't go into the rooms, they have to stay in the waiting areas but it was so nice having my husband waiting there with me.

• Lyn70
    Options

MissyT,

I was so glad to read many good things in your latest post. No biopsy on Adrenal gland, no nasty bowel prep and LESS Anxiety! TY to that nurse and her caring manner. Big Sigh!

The fact that you are fully welcomed and relaxed at CTCA is great. The facility and staff all sound truly wonderful! It is great your Husband was there with you for that looooong day! A comforting hand to hold /squeeze makes anything better.

Remember that your story, challenges, questions, good news/bad news and complaints are always welcome here with us. We are Family, Sisters.

I hope you find your surgery to be a better recovery than you expected, mine was. Keep us up to date.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I'm so glad they are kind and good to you. It makes all the difference in the world. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, beautiful Miss Taylor! Sending love---and we are all right here with you.

D2

• Spydergal
    Spydergal Member Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Sounds like your going to a top notch cancer treatment facility. Your husband sounds like such an awesome man. It’s great you have that kind of support going through all this. A therapist is a great idea to help you with all the fears and emotions your experiencing. The ladies on this board will help answer your questions and give you the emotional support that only someone suffering from cancer can provide. This board is a sisterhood. To all you other ladies who helped me, I miss all of you. I will still check up with you all even though I was lucky enough to dodge the bullet and am cancer free.

• Dak82
    Dak82 Member Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Keep coming back spydergal! It’s so important for new members to hear success stories yours. I think that’s why I hesitate to post a lot. I am still 100% engaged in the fight of and for my life and I feel like I’m dragging down the mood. I have posted some pretty soul-searching stuff in the past and hesitate to burden others when they are dealing with their own issues. Then I remind myself we are a Family of women struggling the best we can with what will be the scariest and toughest battle of our lives. We help each other hold it together and I can’t thank my friends—family—enough.

With all my heart,

Deb1

• Lyn70
    Options

I second that remark, cmb!

Post away, Deb!

We are a Sisterhood of Hope, here for the Good, Bad and Ugly with Understanding and Compassion for All.

((Hugs))

• Afoste3
    Afoste3 Member Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Hi Deb1,

Just chiming in with cmb and Lyn that everyone should post about whatever is happening, good or bad, to the extent they are compelled to share. That's the reality of the disease--some people will emerge from treatment cancer free, while others will recur or just be dealing with it from diagnosis onward. Since my mom has stage 4 cancer that is (most likely) incurable, it actually lifts me up when I read your posts about continuing to live your life while tolerating ongoing treatment. Those posts remind me she's not alone and others are dealing with similar trials and still finding reasons to press forward, as opposed to all good news and clean scans, which she'll likely never have again.

Hope you are hanging in as best you can!

Anne-Marie

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

There would be no need for this site if we were here only for the good and kept the bad out of sight. We need each other through thick and thin. When I know one of us is in a precarious situation and doesn’t post for awhile, I worry even more.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited February 2022 #56
    Options

Deb1, like cmb, Lyn, Anne-Marie, and ConnieSW we want to hear from you. We are here for it all and you have so much to share. Please keep us posted on ALL of it.

Hugs dear!

NoTime

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Deb1, I could not agree more with my fellow sisters. I want to hear everything. When I was going through my worst days I still could get hope and support, and reading all of the stories was so helpful. I learned so much from everyone's story and continue to as new women come along. I get such inspiration from your determination, and from others. Keep it coming!

xxoo

Denise

• Dak82
    Dak82 Member Posts: 109 Member
    Options

So sorry to have hijacked the thread but to everyone who posted in response to my answer—thank you from the bottom of my heart—again! As a quick update—on a positive note, my husband and I have embarked on our 3d Taji 100–run and/or walk 100 miles in the month of Feb! I did it last year during chemo and had a bit more energy and endurance then than I have now but we are going to do it! All donations and part of entry fee go to a veterans group called RWB; they sponsor exercise as a therapeutic solution to PTSD and TBI. Started with 4.2 miles this morning in 20 degree temps! Woo hoo! It’s uplifting to do something for others. Will provide update in near future—cancer has been quiet I think but I’ve had some extreme pain in my right side at the iliac crest extending down and around to the back. Starts off as nothing in the morning and escalates to unbearable in late evening. Very weird. Have two MRIs scheduled to investigate but not until 8 and 18 Feb. Until it resolves gabapentin and Percocet have become good friends!

Much love to all,

Deb1

• PrisPeck
    PrisPeck Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

interesting🤨

• Lyn70
    Options

Hi, Deb1,

Your post about Taji 100 and RWB sent me to Google to find out more! Taji 100, an honor based commitment to walk, bike or hike 100 miles in the month of February. Today, here in the Midwest, we have an inch of ice and are expecting 4"+ of snow. My daily 1 mile postponed and adjusted to walking in place here in the apartment. I am motivated to continue walking. It is my mental therapy.

Red, White and Blue a great cause to give back to vets! ((Hugs)) to both you and your husband.

My best on those February MRI's! TY for sharing with your Sisters.

• Lyn70
    Options

Ms. Taylor,

Ground Hog Day already. I bet it seems like February is dragging by waiting on your surgery on the 8th. How are you coping with the plans for the 8 hour drive and your preparations after surgery and home?

((Hugs))