Newly Diagnosed, Colon, Liver Lungs

Options

Comments

• DanNH
    DanNH Member Posts: 185 Member
    edited May 2021 #102
    Options
    Chemo 6, Irinotecan replaces Oxilplatin

Well the nurse didn't know about Pam's allergic reaction to the Oxilplatin until she told her... The doc is starting her on Irinotecan today. Looks like we are moving from constepation to diarrhea. There was a bit of a delay getting started this morning and I was concerned that the cancer might get a pass while we wait for the scan. That didn't happen. Looks like the cold mitts are out for now. Does anyone have any advice about this new drug and what to expect for side effects? We are on the learning curve for this one. 

Dam

• BerniceOB
    BerniceOB Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    DanNH said:

Well the nurse didn't know about Pam's allergic reaction to the Oxilplatin until she told her... The doc is starting her on Irinotecan today. Looks like we are moving from constepation to diarrhea. There was a bit of a delay getting started this morning and I was concerned that the cancer might get a pass while we wait for the scan. That didn't happen. Looks like the cold mitts are out for now. Does anyone have any advice about this new drug and what to expect for side effects? We are on the learning curve for this one. 

Dam

Irinotecan

Hi Dan,

My husband who was diagnosed with stage 4 with a liver MET was having liver issues on Oxiplatin and after 3 very difficult treatments he was changed to Irinotecan.  He was able to tolerate Irinotecan very well and his liver issues somewhat stabilized.  He did not have any issues with diarrhea while on this drug.  We did have prescribed medication not too far should he need to use it but he only took it once.  What we were told is that at the first sign of diarrhea take something for it so that you can stay ahead of it.  For him, the only major side effect that he had was heartburn and taking Nexium helped him greatlly.  

The Irinotecan did shrink his tumor and his last 3 chemo treatments have now been canceled and he is starting raditation this week.  I hope that your wife will do as well on this chemo.  Best Wishes!

Bernice

• DanNH
    Options
    Thanks Bernice

That's encouraging. She was badly constepated on Oxilplatin and we geared up for that in advance of this treatment. We should know soon how she will react to it. 

Dan

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Wishing the best

This is a strange and scary world to enter. Wishing you and your wife the very best!

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    DanNH said:

Dam

My second week with

My second week with irenotecan and Bev not as bad as the first but still worse than FOLFOX regarding overall tolerability. They stopped Oxy for me with two weeks left in the course because of the nerve damage (which I still have). Otherwise I experienced minimal nausea on FOLFOX, what little I had didn't go away after quitting Oxy.

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #107
    Options
    Chemo 6 Pump Disconnect, Hand and foot Syndrome Bad!

This has been one of the worst we've had yet. Pam's energy is about sapped. She had all she could do to make it in and out of the infusion center. She has nausea, dizziness, weakness, and hand and foot sores. Her hands and feet are very painful. Cold packs give some relief temporarily. The Doc prescribed hydrocortisone cream, which helps. She has celecoxib for pain. The hand discomfort wakes her up. She got a bag of fluids at the infusion center and has been drinking water and green tea to flush the leucovorin out of her system. It is very discouraging and depressing. Any advice about getting through this? I know it's not forever but it makes chemo 7 a tough thing to face. 
    Dan

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    How many grams IVC is she up

How many grams IVC is she up to?  

I didn't have HFS. I credit IVC, 100% vitE oil mixed with burts bees lotion as the carrier for the vitE to penetrate deep into the skin and baths with epsom salt, baking soda and food grade aloe was really awesome (suppose to pull left over toxins out).

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #109
    Options
    Funny you should mention Vitamin C IV

She missed her last vitamin C IV because of the PET scan they cancelled on us. Very interesting you should point that out... She has the IV tomorrow afternoon, 50 grams. I told her about your post and She is doing aloe fresh cut off the leaf and vitamin E oil as we speak. Thanks so much for your response Snap Dragon!

• SnapDragon2
    Options
    IVC only stays in your system

IVC only stays in your system for 72 hrs +/-.  Maybe go twice a wk and bump it up to 60 grams.

My plastic surgeon told me about 100% vitE needing a good carrier lotion.  I didn't know about it.  My fish gut scar is very thin, barely noticeable.  He said it might work for keeping my hands and feet in tip top shape during adjuvant chemo also.  I took his advice.

To add:  When I was on heavy chemo Folfox I found an aromatherapy inhaler on amazon that advertised use for chemo nausea and stomach upset.  It has ginger, peppermint and orange.  For me, it worked.

• DanNH
    Options

IVC only stays in your system

IVC only stays in your system for 72 hrs +/-.  Maybe go twice a wk and bump it up to 60 grams.

My plastic surgeon told me about 100% vitE needing a good carrier lotion.  I didn't know about it.  My fish gut scar is very thin, barely noticeable.  He said it might work for keeping my hands and feet in tip top shape during adjuvant chemo also.  I took his advice.

To add:  When I was on heavy chemo Folfox I found an aromatherapy inhaler on amazon that advertised use for chemo nausea and stomach upset.  It has ginger, peppermint and orange.  For me, it worked.

Aromatherapy

That's a great idea! On it!

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #112
    Options
    CT Scan Results, Close of Chapter 1

Pam had her CT scan today and for some reason I was more anxious than I was waiting for the PET Scan that never happened. The oncologist called a few hours later while we were at our chiropractor's office getting muscle tested on Black Cumin Seed oil, which by the way, was rock solid! We will continue with that one.

The Doc said that the scan results showed a remarkable shrinkage of the tumors in her liver and lungs, with some of the lung tumors disappearing. There remains a thickening in her colon but no tumors. We were thrilled at this news. While we lack the contexts that so many of you who have more experience in this area have, from the oncologists tone it sounds very promising.

Pam is going to continue on Folfiri. It beat her up pretty badly and the Leucovorin is really hitting her hard in hand and foot syndrome. The doc may have to cut back on it or pause treatments until her hands and feet clear up a bit.

Thank-you all for helping us through this journey so far. I will start a new thread for chemo 7 and beyond.

Dan

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    DanNH said:

Pam had her CT scan today and for some reason I was more anxious than I was waiting for the PET Scan that never happened. The oncologist called a few hours later while we were at our chiropractor's office getting muscle tested on Black Cumin Seed oil, which by the way, was rock solid! We will continue with that one.

The Doc said that the scan results showed a remarkable shrinkage of the tumors in her liver and lungs, with some of the lung tumors disappearing. There remains a thickening in her colon but no tumors. We were thrilled at this news. While we lack the contexts that so many of you who have more experience in this area have, from the oncologists tone it sounds very promising.

Pam is going to continue on Folfiri. It beat her up pretty badly and the Leucovorin is really hitting her hard in hand and foot syndrome. The doc may have to cut back on it or pause treatments until her hands and feet clear up a bit.

Thank-you all for helping us through this journey so far. I will start a new thread for chemo 7 and beyond.

Dan

Congratulations,Dan and Pam,

you got great news which is very encouraging! It seems that your combination of traditional and holistic medicine is fruitful. Good luck,

Suzy

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    edited May 2021 #114
    Options
    congrats

I am so happy for you and pam dan great news enjoy it

• SnapDragon2
    Options
    DanNH said:

Dan

Amazing Ch 1...Go Pam!!!

Amazing Ch 1...Go Pam!!!

Is the thickening of the colon inflammation?  If so, hammer it more.

Immune system high, inflammation low to none.

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #116
    Options

Amazing Ch 1...Go Pam!!!

Amazing Ch 1...Go Pam!!!

Is the thickening of the colon inflammation?  If so, hammer it more.

Immune system high, inflammation low to none.

The Oncologist said it was

The Oncologist said it was part of the cancer but has always described it as "thickening" and never as a tumor. Two x-rays to check for blockages and there was never a tumor as such. Maybe I can work up the courage to look at the scans now...

Dan

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #117
    Options

congrats

I am so happy for you and pam dan great news enjoy it

Thanks Jason. We need some

Thanks Jason. We need some good news about your Dad now!

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    DanNH said:

Thanks Jason. We need some

Thanks Jason. We need some good news about your Dad now!

hoping to

Hoping we get some next week then we both can celebrate together my friend 

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Didn't see this earlier

Given we have some of the best hospitals in the world here in Boston, Ihope you went to Mass General for your second opinion. I was diagnosed in 2007 and am writing this today,

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #120
    Options
    pamness said:

Didn't see this earlier

Given we have some of the best hospitals in the world here in Boston, Ihope you went to Mass General for your second opinion. I was diagnosed in 2007 and am writing this today,

We actually saw Dr. Jeffrey

We actually saw Dr. Jeffrey Clark at Mass General for a second opinion before we had our first chemo. Like you say, we are lucky to have so many great hospitals close by. I hope to be able to post a message like yours about my wife Pam 14 years from now too! Your results are wonderful and I am so happy for you!

Dan

• SnapDragon2
    Options
    I hope you all are having a

I hope you all are having a good day.

Question: What is the schedule for your wife's HBOT?  Times per week and length of time in the chamber?