Newly Diagnosed, Colon, Liver Lungs

Options

Comments

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I read a study about

I read a study about antocyanines fighting kRAS that led me to this study

www.intechopen.com/books/phytochemicals-source-of-antioxidants-and-role-in-disease-prevention/anthocyanins-smart-molecules-for-cancer-prevention

Breakfast

My dad has each morning for breakfast berries with joghurt, oatmeal and some omega3 rich oil. He hates it to have anything else than that as a breakfast. Berries are rich in antocyanines apparently... did not know that. 

But oatmeal is very good for cancer prevention because it has a lot of fiber. I do also have it as breakfast and it is really nice. So maybe have it together with your wife for breakfast? Add some nuts to it and it will be really healthy. You also need to have powwr so you can support your wife as best as possible. 

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    edited May 2021 #83
    Options
    Tueffel said:

Breakfast

My dad has each morning for breakfast berries with joghurt, oatmeal and some omega3 rich oil. He hates it to have anything else than that as a breakfast. Berries are rich in antocyanines apparently... did not know that. 

But oatmeal is very good for cancer prevention because it has a lot of fiber. I do also have it as breakfast and it is really nice. So maybe have it together with your wife for breakfast? Add some nuts to it and it will be really healthy. You also need to have powwr so you can support your wife as best as possible. 

I thought it was interesting

I thought it was interesting that berry pairs are better than lone ones for synergy such as black raspberry with blackberry, chokeberry with bilberry, ect.

I put black raspberry extract in my coffee along with chokeberry.  Might have to swao it up a little.

Its also good to know Earl Gray Tea is really good.  Haven't found the sencha/jasmine mix yet.

• Elka111
    Elka111 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021 #84
    Options

So sorry you are here. You

So sorry you are here. You can read my short story but stage 4 guy here dx almost 15 yers ago now. I had liver and lung mets. I agree with all written so far. I wanted to be as aggressive as possible. I always took surgery when possible. I have had 4 thoracic surgeries along with liver and colon. In between chemo. But I am here today and doing well with 6 years clean so far.I went to Stanford on the west coast. I always felt better when I felt bad as it seemed to me that the chemo was working. That might not make sense but I had a discussion one day with my onc and the possible unknown side effects of vitamin or herbal interactions with chemo. If ginger tea made me feel better maybe it was interfering with the chemo? The disease is so unfair and unpredictable. For what its worth here's what I thought and did, It is a marathon not a sprint, the internet is not always your friend, confidence matters, eat healthy, walk, took a baby aspirin when I was allowed, scheduled surgery, take care of yourself and people around you - caregivers matter, eliminate as much stress as possible ( for me social media),if you are religious that helped me,  There are many more people out there than you think who have gone through all of this and are doing great. All my best.

Chip

Hi Chip, I've read your post

Hi Chip, I've read your post and felt very encouraged and calm. Knowing that there are people here with long term survival stories makea me feel hopeful. Thank you for that!

• DanNH
    DanNH Member Posts: 185 Member
    edited May 2021 #85
    Options
    Tueffel said:

Breakfast

Diet

Tueffel:

The article was very informative. My wife is on a very restricted Keto type diet. She does not have any fruit of any kind at this time. She ate a lot of oatmeal and berries prior to being diagnosed and misses them terribly. We stopped using processed sugar years ago and used honey or local maple syrup for sweeteners when we used them.

That being said she is also taking a lot of supplements. Every time I read an article like that I am reminded to go through all of the supplements and index the ingredients so that I can reference them to see if the ones in the article are included in her supplements. My wife is an amature herbalist and so many of the names of teh berries and other ingedients I read about are familiar to me although I can't remember if she used them in the past or if they are in the supplements! I think I remember something about billberry for eyes...

I will re-read the article and see if we can get a consentration of the anthocyanins from the various berries mentioned in the article in a supplement form that has no sugars or carbohydrates. That seems to be worth trying. We are seeking every advantage we can get over this cancer.

I wish you and your Papa the best in discovering what is going on with him and defeating it! Sometimes rechecking your work leads to discovering something missed or misleading. I credit the doctors for having the confidence to do that and not simply refuse to consider that they missed something. To me it indicates that they are focused on the right thing, your Papa's health!

Dan

• DanNH
    Options

I read a study about

I read a study about antocyanines fighting kRAS that led me to this study

www.intechopen.com/books/phytochemicals-source-of-antioxidants-and-role-in-disease-prevention/anthocyanins-smart-molecules-for-cancer-prevention

Thank-You for the Article

SnapDragon2:

That was a good read and good leads! kRAS is one of the things we are dealing with...

Dan

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    grapes

Do grapes have same benefits are berries ? seems like they would right 

• Tueffel
    edited May 2021 #88
    Options
    DanNH said:

Diet

Tueffel:

The article was very informative. My wife is on a very restricted Keto type diet. She does not have any fruit of any kind at this time. She ate a lot of oatmeal and berries prior to being diagnosed and misses them terribly. We stopped using processed sugar years ago and used honey or local maple syrup for sweeteners when we used them.

That being said she is also taking a lot of supplements. Every time I read an article like that I am reminded to go through all of the supplements and index the ingredients so that I can reference them to see if the ones in the article are included in her supplements. My wife is an amature herbalist and so many of the names of teh berries and other ingedients I read about are familiar to me although I can't remember if she used them in the past or if they are in the supplements! I think I remember something about billberry for eyes...

I will re-read the article and see if we can get a consentration of the anthocyanins from the various berries mentioned in the article in a supplement form that has no sugars or carbohydrates. That seems to be worth trying. We are seeking every advantage we can get over this cancer.

I wish you and your Papa the best in discovering what is going on with him and defeating it! Sometimes rechecking your work leads to discovering something missed or misleading. I credit the doctors for having the confidence to do that and not simply refuse to consider that they missed something. To me it indicates that they are focused on the right thing, your Papa's health!

Dan

Forgot

I forgot that you already mentioned thediet. Sorry... 

Maybe I should do this checking for supplements as well even though I seem to be terrible to find these studies like snapdragon. I told my mom today that green tea and cacao are nice for Papa. Papa now has in the evening freshly made ginger tea. Otherwise my mom cooks fresh meals each day. As long as they eat we are happy. 

Thank you! Of course it is not nice to hear bad news or the info that the oncologist doesnt know the cancer. We are in a big limbo of not knowing. I am lucky that my Papa is in best care and that they focus on Papa even if it is bad news. They arein contact with other centers, talking constantly and I do hope that they come up with something. 

I hope that your wife also has these doctors!

Tueffel

• DanNH
    Options

grapes

Concentration

I think that the issue is getting a concentrated enough amount for treatment rather than prevention. I am searching for a commercially available supplement that contains billberry, chokeberry, and grape extract. I will let you know what I find. There are a lot of stand alone supplements for Billberry and Blueberry out there by simply searching anthocyanin supplements.

Dan

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Your wife's young age is in her favor!  I was 77 when dxed.  Currently ,will be 89 in 3 weeks .  Been NED(no evedence of disease) after a very bumppy year..  If I can beat it at my age, so can your wife!!  Good luck to you both!

• SnapDragon2
    Options

grapes

Yes, you want one with at

Yes, you want one with at least >95% polyphenol.  Resveratrol and grapeseed synergize each other.

• SnapDragon2
    Options
    DanNH said:

Concentration

I think that the issue is getting a concentrated enough amount for treatment rather than prevention. I am searching for a commercially available supplement that contains billberry, chokeberry, and grape extract. I will let you know what I find. There are a lot of stand alone supplements for Billberry and Blueberry out there by simply searching anthocyanin supplements.

Dan

berrihealth is reputable

berrihealth is reputable according to the cancer community.

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    confused

Just saw a article on the national cancer institute website saying antioxidants accelerate growth and invasivesness of tumors in mice so wouldn't that make grape seed extract and all these different berries bad ? Would link to the article but don't know how to do that yet .

• SnapDragon2
    edited May 2021 #94
    Options

confused

Just saw a article on the national cancer institute website saying antioxidants accelerate growth and invasivesness of tumors in mice so wouldn't that make grape seed extract and all these different berries bad ? Would link to the article but don't know how to do that yet .

We can not answer that question for you.

Do a google search for reputable research papers and decide for yourself if its best for your dad or not.

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #95
    Options
    PET Scan Cancelled, CT Scan Ordered

I am going to start off with a little whining and then follow up with a couple of questions.

So this morning we showed up a half hour prior to our PET Scan and spent the half our going through the intake process only to find out that we had been taken off the schedule yesterday. It turns out that the insurance company kicked back the Oncologists order for the scan yesterday and as a result he ordered a CT scan instead. Apparently someone failed to notify us so a couple of days of anxiety, cancelled holistic treatments, a Lorazepam, and a lost work day later, we don't have a scan, an insurance approval or an appointment. It is not our Oncologist's fault. But, someone dropped the ball.

Monday is Chemo six and we were hoping that the scan would have been read, or at least looked at by our Oncologist and we would have gotten some feed back. But alas, that is not to be. Disengage frustration.... End of rant.

My wife has asked me to see if anyone has experienced numbness in the nose, upper lip, upper gums, and lower lips? We suspect that it is a side effect of the chemo.

I have also noticed that her gait is strange. She walks with her right foot - toe end, canted outward. This is something that she has picked up over the past month or two. I don't know if it is related to her chemo or if she just needs a visit with the chiropractor. It is very new and pronounced.

With Oxilplaten off the table Monday will be a new adventure. We are ready to try the cold mits again and I will let everyone know how that worked out. She is still doing the cancer app ChemoWave but maybe not consistently enought for any meaningful feed back.

All in all this past two weeks have been pretty good, from my perspective. She has been sleeping when we drive any distances and her energy is low, but she is more active than she has been.

Dan

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited May 2021 #96
    Options

confused

I had a nurse once mention

I had a nurse once mention that too. That eating fruit and veg is fine and good, but that the high dose anti oxidants can actually protect the cancer cells from the chemo. Now, that was when I started on my journey, so I can't even remember who said it to me. I would also say I have NO data what so ever to back up this info, just that I heard it. I have no idea if it is true or not

• Tueffel
    Options
    abita said:

I had a nurse once mention

I had a nurse once mention that too. That eating fruit and veg is fine and good, but that the high dose anti oxidants can actually protect the cancer cells from the chemo. Now, that was when I started on my journey, so I can't even remember who said it to me. I would also say I have NO data what so ever to back up this info, just that I heard it. I have no idea if it is true or not

The dose makes the poison

I did a little research now about antioxidants and cancer. There were some studies that indicated higher risk of cancer development. 

I am now going into biochemistry so in my studies a few years ago... During processes oxygen is split up which likes to act with lipids or worse DNA. Antioxidants neutralize this adfitional oxygen in this way preventing the oxygen radical to do any damage. This is the protective effects. One scientiest said that if the dosis is too high that this effect also occurs on cancer cells. So the antioxidants do not only protect healthy cells from the oxygen radical but also the cancer cells. You can say the old saying in medicine "the dose makes the poison" seems to be true again. 

I dont know if you can measure it somehow... so you can prevent an overdose and in this way prevent the protective effect against cancer cells. I know you can measure vitamine D...

PS most of these articles were around +/-2016. So in medical research they are already quite outdated. I need to find something from this or last year

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Tueffel said:

The dose makes the poison

I did a little research now about antioxidants and cancer. There were some studies that indicated higher risk of cancer development. 

I am now going into biochemistry so in my studies a few years ago... During processes oxygen is split up which likes to act with lipids or worse DNA. Antioxidants neutralize this adfitional oxygen in this way preventing the oxygen radical to do any damage. This is the protective effects. One scientiest said that if the dosis is too high that this effect also occurs on cancer cells. So the antioxidants do not only protect healthy cells from the oxygen radical but also the cancer cells. You can say the old saying in medicine "the dose makes the poison" seems to be true again. 

I dont know if you can measure it somehow... so you can prevent an overdose and in this way prevent the protective effect against cancer cells. I know you can measure vitamine D...

PS most of these articles were around +/-2016. So in medical research they are already quite outdated. I need to find something from this or last year

There have been a lot of

There have been a lot of studies on Vit D3 as an additive to targeted therapies and chemo, most have shown statistically significant OS but they aren't OMG amazing numbers. One thing the studies proved is that humans can absorb way more Vitamin D than the recommended doses in general nutrition. Also, one study showed that patients who took the D3 megadoses with their chemo experienced less severe diarrhea. Most recent one I know of was from 2020.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited May 2021 #99
    Options
    DanNH said:

PET Scan Cancelled, CT Scan Ordered

I am going to start off with a little whining and then follow up with a couple of questions.

So this morning we showed up a half hour prior to our PET Scan and spent the half our going through the intake process only to find out that we had been taken off the schedule yesterday. It turns out that the insurance company kicked back the Oncologists order for the scan yesterday and as a result he ordered a CT scan instead. Apparently someone failed to notify us so a couple of days of anxiety, cancelled holistic treatments, a Lorazepam, and a lost work day later, we don't have a scan, an insurance approval or an appointment. It is not our Oncologist's fault. But, someone dropped the ball.

Monday is Chemo six and we were hoping that the scan would have been read, or at least looked at by our Oncologist and we would have gotten some feed back. But alas, that is not to be. Disengage frustration.... End of rant.

My wife has asked me to see if anyone has experienced numbness in the nose, upper lip, upper gums, and lower lips? We suspect that it is a side effect of the chemo.

I have also noticed that her gait is strange. She walks with her right foot - toe end, canted outward. This is something that she has picked up over the past month or two. I don't know if it is related to her chemo or if she just needs a visit with the chiropractor. It is very new and pronounced.

With Oxilplaten off the table Monday will be a new adventure. We are ready to try the cold mits again and I will let everyone know how that worked out. She is still doing the cancer app ChemoWave but maybe not consistently enought for any meaningful feed back.

All in all this past two weeks have been pretty good, from my perspective. She has been sleeping when we drive any distances and her energy is low, but she is more active than she has been.

Dan

PET and insurance

I am really sorry to hear that your wife's PET scan was cancelled.  Insurances are notorious for refusing to pay for PET scans, which is appauling. I mean, when an Oncologist requests something, that request should be honoured. 

I had better not get on the rant about insurance companies, as they do make me angy, and I do not like to be angry. 

I don't know if this will help, but when my insurance refused to cover my PET scan, my Oncologist office were the ones to call them, not me. I'm not sure if my Oncologist got on the phone - I know that my liver surgeon acutally got on the phone with the insurance, after his office manager couldn't get them to budge - but at the end of the day, both of my PET scans were covered after a fight.  If it wasn't for my second PET scan, my liver tumour would not have been found, as the CT scan did not pick it up. 

Right, numbness. I do remember numbness in my face. My tongue and lips at least.  I know you will be mentioning it to the Oncologist, thuogh I doubt anything can be done, especially if the Oxi has already been dropped. 

Feet.  Does your wife hava any neuropathy in her feet?  When my neuropathy was bad, my gait changed. I had a freind come to the door, once, and she told me that I sonded like a herd of Elephants. I hadn't noticed, but I guess I slammed my feet down to the point of it being very noisy. I can only describe it as walking like Frankenstien. 

Ah, the joys of Chemo.

I do so hope that something can be done about your wife's insurance, as a PET scan can be improtant. Talk to the Oncologist, and see if their office staff can't push the insurance for it. 

Tru

• DanNH
    edited May 2021 #100
    Options
    Trubrit said:

PET and insurance

I am really sorry to hear that your wife's PET scan was cancelled.  Insurances are notorious for refusing to pay for PET scans, which is appauling. I mean, when an Oncologist requests something, that request should be honoured. 

I had better not get on the rant about insurance companies, as they do make me angy, and I do not like to be angry. 

I don't know if this will help, but when my insurance refused to cover my PET scan, my Oncologist office were the ones to call them, not me. I'm not sure if my Oncologist got on the phone - I know that my liver surgeon acutally got on the phone with the insurance, after his office manager couldn't get them to budge - but at the end of the day, both of my PET scans were covered after a fight.  If it wasn't for my second PET scan, my liver tumour would not have been found, as the CT scan did not pick it up. 

Right, numbness. I do remember numbness in my face. My tongue and lips at least.  I know you will be mentioning it to the Oncologist, thuogh I doubt anything can be done, especially if the Oxi has already been dropped. 

Feet.  Does your wife hava any neuropathy in her feet?  When my neuropathy was bad, my gait changed. I had a freind come to the door, once, and she told me that I sonded like a herd of Elephants. I hadn't noticed, but I guess I slammed my feet down to the point of it being very noisy. I can only describe it as walking like Frankenstien. 

Ah, the joys of Chemo.

I do so hope that something can be done about your wife's insurance, as a PET scan can be improtant. Talk to the Oncologist, and see if their office staff can't push the insurance for it. 

Tru

Chiropractic Today

Monday will be Chemo 6 and we always see the Doc when he makes his rounds during chemo. I am sure he will tell us what happened and why he opted for the CT Scan. While I am disappointed that the scan won't be a PET Scan, the purpose is to see what impact the chemo had on the size of the tumors as opposed to finding unknown tumors. In my limited experience with this, that is my thought.

We addressed the gait today at the chiropractor's visit. It turns out that her right femur head was out of position. He adjusted her and it is much better now. The chemo may be the cause of the problem as her port is on her right side, her right femur was out of place and the right side has the worse neuropathy for hands and feet. I will tell her about your experience with your mouth Brit.

Our chiropractor does applied kinesiology, (muscle testing) and he tested her on her entire regimine of supplementation from our holistic oncologist. Almost everything tested very positive with a few supplements testing neutral. Not a single supplement tested negative! That was a real confidence booster for us!

Dan

• SnapDragon2
    Options
    I too had numbness of the

I too had numbness of the mouth.  It was brushed off as "Haven't heard that before, not a common side effect so probably not."  Ya, whatever!!!