Past members

peanut butter
peanut butter Member Posts: 30 Member

Had some time last night so I looked at some old post that go back quite a few years. I came across a member I kinda forgot about. The name was cobra 666. He helped keep the forum going. Anybody know what happened to him. I had a glitch in my computer back then and then I noticed I did not see any more post from him. Also there was a lady named almost60 that stopped posting around the same time. I already mentioned jimwins. Those 3 kept the lymphoma site going.

Comments

• peanut butter
    edited June 2020 #2
    ShadyGuy said:

COBRA 666

He was banned from this site by the censors for some reason. Someone complained I guess. He has two 1966 Cobra cars and thus his name. Had absolutely nothing to do with satanism "666". I think perhaps Max knows the story.

Shady

Thanks for the info. Never connected the 666 to anything satistic. Very easy to do though. I thought cobra was something to do with a cobra snake. Looking thru the post I didn't see anything out of the ordinary about his post. Guess, like you say he must have offended someone. I can sense from the post from some people that it seems like they hold back on some things. Maybe they feel they might offend someone or something. Guess I better watch what I post as well. I see from his (cobra666) about me page he had the same diagnosis as I did. Only difference was I had b symtoms. I tryed to contact him today thru PM, but it would not let it go thru. A bunch of double talk popped up which translated into, No Way Jose'. Makes me wonder if almost 60 and jimwins were banned as well. I looked forward to reading their post. They used to post pretty regular.

I only joined about a week ago because I had something to say. Before that I just read the post. I thought about signing up 10 years ago, but never did.

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 902 Member
    COBRA 666

He was banned from this site by the censors for some reason. Someone complained I guess. He has two 1966 Cobra cars and thus his name. Had absolutely nothing to do with satanism "666". I think perhaps Max knows the story.

• ShadyGuy
    edited June 2020 #4
    Not sure about JimWins ..

but almost60 just took a break and is back as almost70. I wonder if JimWins still has his dog? The cobra in cobra666 refers to his Shelby Cobra sports cars. A sense of humor is critical for surviving cancer. My understanding is that someone actually demanded that CSN ban anything funny or humorous as inappropriate. Lets all be dark and grim! My response to that is that if such a person is out there that he/she get the help needed. It does not anger me. I just feel for him/here being in such a state of mind. It cannot be helpful to recovery. I wish them only the best.

• peanut butter
    edited June 2020 #5
    Banning of members

You know, I may be wrong about what I am ging to say but I'm gonna say it anyway. I know this site is mostly for people seeking info about lymphoma, but when someone takes the time to brighten up the posters day and then they are banned is a crime. Now, if they offended someone they should be warned about it. Like I stated in an earlier post it becomes so boring with constant depressing text. Like so many members who post for info only and we never hear from them again, a few take the the time to put a little humor in the day. They do not have to do this by any means. I noticed when certain members become staples and then they no longer post it becomes a big void in the site. It may be time for me to take a break myself and just go back to only reading the ocassional post before I get in trouble and get banned for expressing how I feel. NOT  really comfortable posting where BIG BROTHER is breathing down my neck and worrying about the single member who may get offended. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Dang, 2 Shelby Cobras and took the time to even post !!!!!

• ShadyGuy
    edited June 2020 #6

Banning of members

You know, I may be wrong about what I am ging to say but I'm gonna say it anyway. I know this site is mostly for people seeking info about lymphoma, but when someone takes the time to brighten up the posters day and then they are banned is a crime. Now, if they offended someone they should be warned about it. Like I stated in an earlier post it becomes so boring with constant depressing text. Like so many members who post for info only and we never hear from them again, a few take the the time to put a little humor in the day. They do not have to do this by any means. I noticed when certain members become staples and then they no longer post it becomes a big void in the site. It may be time for me to take a break myself and just go back to only reading the ocassional post before I get in trouble and get banned for expressing how I feel. NOT  really comfortable posting where BIG BROTHER is breathing down my neck and worrying about the single member who may get offended. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Dang, 2 Shelby Cobras and took the time to even post !!!!!

Yes!

I would feel blessed to have even one. Then there is always  the lottery!

• peanut butter
    edited June 2020 #7
    Shelby Cobras !!!!!

I've seen hundreds of Shelby cobras....... in magazines and on tv. Actually never seen one up close, but I did see a volkswagen beetle once. LOL

• peanut butter
    Private message

Would you believe I got a pm from an anonymous member saying, " I hope you realize this site is for Lymphoma members with existng problems and not for hobbies and good ole' boy adventures. This disease is no joke."

I don't need this !!!!!.

• peanut butter
    edited July 2020 #9

Shelby Cobras !!!!!

I've seen hundreds of Shelby cobras....... in magazines and on tv. Actually never seen one up close, but I did see a volkswagen beetle once. LOL

Picture being used

To the multitude of private messages. Why do you think I am using this picture. It was taken in 1969. Good health to all. PLEASE NO MORE PRIVATE MESSAGES !!!!!

• ShadyGuy
    edited July 2020 #10

Private message

Would you believe I got a pm from an anonymous member saying, " I hope you realize this site is for Lymphoma members with existng problems and not for hobbies and good ole' boy adventures. This disease is no joke."

I don't need this !!!!!.

I was unaware ...

That anonymous Private messages (PMs) were even possible. Don't you have to log in to post? Of course our usernames on here are anonymous in a sense. So I assume some people have multiple usernames. I stopped using PMs when I discovered the ones I was exchanging on this site were being read by the CSN staff. Nothing "private" about that. Still I hang around as I have benefitted from some of the messages posted on this site.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    edited July 2020 #11
    ShadyGuy said:

I was unaware ...

That anonymous Private messages (PMs) were even possible. Don't you have to log in to post? Of course our usernames on here are anonymous in a sense. So I assume some people have multiple usernames. I stopped using PMs when I discovered the ones I was exchanging on this site were being read by the CSN staff. Nothing "private" about that. Still I hang around as I have benefitted from some of the messages posted on this site.

Various and sundry....

At random:  (1) Yes, CSN sniffs our "PM" underwear (but in a proud, socially-conscious way);  (2) Cobra continues to be a close friend with at least four active members at the Boards today, including myself;  (3) Yes, his moniker referred to the 1966 Cobra Mustang;   (4)  Shady, my brother owned a 1968 Shelby GT 500.  The 500 differed from the GT-350, in that the 500 had a dual-quad 428 engine.  He sold it years ago, or I'd send you pics.  Clean, original versions today always bring at least $100,000.   A few of the only muscle cars today regularly fetching more are original, genuine Hemi Barracudas, hemi Dodge Challangers, and Plymouth Superbirds.  Clean, genuine, hemi-engined Superbirds regularly list for around $300,000.  I can recall as a kid, in 1969, when my aunt drove past the Plymouth dealer in East COlumbia, SC, and there were two brand new Superbirds on the lot.   New, they cost about $5,000 each.   Today, those two in new condition would be worth close to a million dollars.   Hemmings and DuPont Registery routinely has a few.\

Keep your drawers washed people,

max

• ShadyGuy

Various and sundry....

At random:  (1) Yes, CSN sniffs our "PM" underwear (but in a proud, socially-conscious way);  (2) Cobra continues to be a close friend with at least four active members at the Boards today, including myself;  (3) Yes, his moniker referred to the 1966 Cobra Mustang;   (4)  Shady, my brother owned a 1968 Shelby GT 500.  The 500 differed from the GT-350, in that the 500 had a dual-quad 428 engine.  He sold it years ago, or I'd send you pics.  Clean, original versions today always bring at least $100,000.   A few of the only muscle cars today regularly fetching more are original, genuine Hemi Barracudas, hemi Dodge Challangers, and Plymouth Superbirds.  Clean, genuine, hemi-engined Superbirds regularly list for around $300,000.  I can recall as a kid, in 1969, when my aunt drove past the Plymouth dealer in East COlumbia, SC, and there were two brand new Superbirds on the lot.   New, they cost about $5,000 each.   Today, those two in new condition would be worth close to a million dollars.   Hemmings and DuPont Registery routinely has a few.\

Keep your drawers washed people,

max

Shelby Cobra .....

..... the Sports car evolved from the Bristol, not the Ford Shelby Mustang Cobra. I recall his and his son's are replicas with Mustang running gear. There I go again - being a good old boy with an MBA, a degree in physics but with a Love for anything mechanical.

• peanut butter
    edited July 2020 #13
    ShadyGuy said:

I was unaware ...

anonymous

I have tried to post the message I got from the anonymous p.m person, but being very illiterate with computers I can not or else there may be a block not letting me post it. It did not come through as a moniker. It was signed, Anonymous member. If it had strings it would have been a different story. I only posted because I had read the post so long and stayed silent for 10 years. I had plenty of time to read since this Corona Virus has kept me at home for so long and off the road as it has for so many of you. Julie was reading them with me one night and said I should post something. Since she was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich it was easy to come up with a name to use. Yep, we are just normal people. California is lifting so many restrictions with this virus on the rise. I turned 75 years old past couple of months and feel unsafe with that order. People with what we have been diagnosed with are known to have weak immune systems and are easily infected. I am NED, as so many are on here, but this deadly virus is no joke and the Drs say they have no real experience with it or no knowledge of what harm it may do later.  I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC in the early 60's before being shipped to Ft. Knox Ky. and there was a flu going around at the time. I had that flu and was very sick, it turned into pneumonia. Finished out my enlistment in the Army Reserves. I had to go through watching my brother die of aids in 1990 due to multiple blood transfusions over the years. The flu of the 60's puts me in mind of whats going on now. It killed 1,000's of people and in the spring it was gone. This virus which is not the flu appears to be growing stronger. So tired of hearing a cure will come someday. Never found a cure for that flu or aids. Just shoved under the rug. I learned long ago "Someday Never Comes." Don't get me wrong I am not angry just frustrated. I will continue to read the post but NO more posting for me. Good Luck everyone, we all need it. You're the best !!!!

• peanut butter

Anybody heard from Almost70 lately

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    edited May 2023 #16

peanut butter,

Almost 70 last wrote here roughly five years ago, to the best of my knowledge. Before that, she moved to rural Oregon to be near family. She later had a recurrence of lymphoma -- ocular I believe, relating of course to the eye. Very rare. I hear from Cobra once every few years. Last I heard, he is still well.

I have nothing from or about Jimwins in probably eight years or so. I believe he lived in Western NC. The person who knew him best was (I think) Rocquie. She writes perhaps once a year or so of late.

In general, participation here has been WAAY down, compared to ten or so years back. I used to read here around twice weekly, but now seldom look at who has posted more than twice a month, or even less often.

• peanut butter

Thank You Mr. Max,

I've been following this site for the past several years, but only posted a few times a couple years back. I was getting private messages from certain posters telling me not to post certain things since this a site to discuss Lymphoma only. I was only trying to make a conversation with a more warm setting for posters. Seems most people feel more at ease when they post with people that they feel more comfortable with. I haven't posted since that time, But DO look on the the site now and then to see what is going on. I have noticed there are several people that do not post as often anymore. I have seen where nobody has posted on this site for a week at a time. Way to many rules and regulations.

• ShadyGuy
    edited May 2023 #18

I agree that this site is not a chatroom for discussing cars or anything else exclusively. However I think the occasional mention of a car, a grandchild, going fishing or anything else in passing is enlightening and shows there is life after cancer. Life does not necessarily end when you are diagnosed. One still has interests and that can, in some cases, help those in despair. Since I was accused of being a “good ole boy” I will quote Junior Samples from a long ago TV show. This is NOT how one encourages people.

“Gloom, despair and agony on me

Deep dark depression, excessive misery

If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all

Gloom despair and agony on me.”

He sang that in humor and demonstrated you need to be able to laugh at yourself. It was a joke!

• peanut butter

Hee- Haw was a good family show.

• ShadyGuy
    edited May 2023 #20

I only saw it a time or two but I thought Junior Samples self pity song was hilarious! I read Archie Campbell, Buck Rogers and other real singers sang it but every week a different person would join in. Junior was one who occasionally joined in. At that stage of my life I lived in Asia and seldom saw American TV.