Support From Family falters

justme52
justme52 Member Posts: 4

Yes, I said it,  The support I should have gotten from my family faltered from the time I found my breast lump to the bitter end of chemo treatment.  The first words I heard from someone who should have casred and cared deeply, said Jesus Christ, yes, it happened and to this day, it still bothers the heck outta me.  I'm still hurt by it, and still realing from the feeling it gave me.  Sure I'm glad I'm alive, very much so, but oddly, I think the one who responded in that matter would have been fine with me just laying down and dying before it was over.  What say you? Did you have the support you neede? Have you come out of survi orship with a chip on your shoulder and anger in your very breathse?

Comments

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    edited October 2017 #2
    Lack of family support

Justme52, I am also very hurt by the lack of family support for this canceR. My family pretty much pretended it wasn't happening. my treatment started in the summer and they all had travel plans, second homes to go to, and were otherwise occupied. I had one sister who tried her best to help me, but she doesn't drive and has her own family obligations. I received text messages, which really got irritating and were no help at all! I got text messages instead of any help at all! Today, I went to a sister's home. She has not seen me since May, before treatment started. I have no hair, look like hell and she said not one word about it! Never asked me how I was, not a word! I am a woman who has been there for any family or friend who needed a hand.  I really don't know how to deal with it, except to be deeply hurt. 

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    edited October 2017 #3
    How's this one?

After treatments ended which I kep working through it all, (it wasn't blood family) they said to me " I think you could have handled it better"

done and done

• HapB
    lack of family,support

Tufi, that is horrible! And what do we say when someone makes stupid comments like that? Recently, a sibling said to me that cancer has become my way of life! I was speechless. I am a nice person, but I am getting fed up with the ignorance.

I have been looking for a snappy response to a brother who I have seen once since treatment started. He did drive me once to chemo, but complained about the traffic the whole way home and by the time the day was over, had my stomach in  knots. So, since then he sends text messages, "thinking of you" on almost a daily basis.  I need a snappy response that lets him know that thoughts don't do much for me and the texts are a nuisance to answer! 

BTW, I have 6 siblings, and we have been a very close family. 5 of my siblings live about 1/2 hour from me, all are well to do, and I have always been there for them over the years whenever they needed me. They seem to be under the impression that BC is not serIous. I blame the pink bows and ribbons for that! 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Wow

Yes, I have heard some of those comments.   If anyone would like to "get over it" it would be us.   I distance myself from them.  It is not good for my well being to surround myself with stupid, heartless people. 

Hugs to you all,

Annie

• HapB
    Family

annie, I simply cannot distance myself from my very large family. How exactly would that work?  

• justme52
    Family abaondonment

Thank you all for sharing, I at least know I wasn't erally alone.  Over time, I have realized that my 6 months of treatments were shopping excursions for my "helper" and a lot of naps and eathing here and eating there.  Not one time did anyone ask me how I was feeling, cooked a meal I could eat and when they laughed at me when I was in so much pain I could barely sit and had a tough time walking into my chemo appointment and it made me very very angry and I do not forgive them for that, or for "shopping" or for anything that had anything to do with my treatment which was stopped 6 months shy of complete simply because I was worn out and could take no more of it.  I lost a lot of me during this time, my freedom, my health, and my emotional and psychological health.  I now suffer from MS which was found these years later and was the whole issue of me not being able to walk without pain for months.  Yes I am cancer free almost 4 years later, which is good for stage 3 her2 positive cancer that can move to some other organ at will, but it has not thus far.  What I miss is being cared for, being treated as a human being and I must admit, from one disease to the next, nothing has improved as ;yet, but I am still hopefull it will eventually end.  I was raised by what I now know to be a narcicistic individual that continues to flog me through this all..........Part of me wishes I was dead simply because of it............

• HapB
    justme52 said:

Family abaondonment

Thank you all for sharing, I at least know I wasn't erally alone.  Over time, I have realized that my 6 months of treatments were shopping excursions for my "helper" and a lot of naps and eathing here and eating there.  Not one time did anyone ask me how I was feeling, cooked a meal I could eat and when they laughed at me when I was in so much pain I could barely sit and had a tough time walking into my chemo appointment and it made me very very angry and I do not forgive them for that, or for "shopping" or for anything that had anything to do with my treatment which was stopped 6 months shy of complete simply because I was worn out and could take no more of it.  I lost a lot of me during this time, my freedom, my health, and my emotional and psychological health.  I now suffer from MS which was found these years later and was the whole issue of me not being able to walk without pain for months.  Yes I am cancer free almost 4 years later, which is good for stage 3 her2 positive cancer that can move to some other organ at will, but it has not thus far.  What I miss is being cared for, being treated as a human being and I must admit, from one disease to the next, nothing has improved as ;yet, but I am still hopefull it will eventually end.  I was raised by what I now know to be a narcicistic individual that continues to flog me through this all..........Part of me wishes I was dead simply because of it............

Justme

I understand your anger and frustration. You have been through a lot and in the end, we have to care for ourselves in the best way that we can. I try to find joy in the little things that I enjoy, even if it is just a good book, or a a walk in the sunshine. I hope you can figure out what things bring you joy and focus on yourself. The thing about anger and unforgiveness is that it is poison to our bodies. I try my best to let things go, recognizing the hurt, but understanding that when people are unkind and unloving, it is about their weakness and there is nothing we can do about that. Sometimes it feels good to express our feelings, other times it is futile and a waste of our valuable time. I was raised as a Christian, but one thing I had forgotten until recently.  We are told to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. First, we have to love ourselves and be good to ourselves. Many women forget that. I hope you are good to yourself and take good care!  Hang in there! 

• justme52
    Having a decent life considering

I watch a lot of tv, it makes me happy, and play some games on facebook.  I do have things I enjoy and I do them.  Some things are a struggle for me but I will make it through,  I don't stress out much at all any longer and am not as angry as I was, but I harbor some very intense feelings that I know I am not ready to give up, but soon I will.   I will be able to move out and away from the issue that most brings me low, and for that, I am thankful.  I know God has a reason for me and all I have gone through and am going through, I know there is a fulll plan for me, I just don't know what it is but I don't want my suffering to actually make me suffer any longer for any reason, I pray only for peace and give thanks and gratitude daily for what I am and who I have become over time.  Basically, I'm ok and getting better daily and will give no more thought to hoe much I was hurt by another for their own well being and sense of control.  Thanks Hap!!!

• tufi000
    edited October 2017 #10
    HapB said:

lack of family,support

Tufi, that is horrible! And what do we say when someone makes stupid comments like that? Recently, a sibling said to me that cancer has become my way of life! I was speechless. I am a nice person, but I am getting fed up with the ignorance.

I have been looking for a snappy response to a brother who I have seen once since treatment started. He did drive me once to chemo, but complained about the traffic the whole way home and by the time the day was over, had my stomach in  knots. So, since then he sends text messages, "thinking of you" on almost a daily basis.  I need a snappy response that lets him know that thoughts don't do much for me and the texts are a nuisance to answer! 

BTW, I have 6 siblings, and we have been a very close family. 5 of my siblings live about 1/2 hour from me, all are well to do, and I have always been there for them over the years whenever they needed me. They seem to be under the impression that BC is not serIous. I blame the pink bows and ribbons for that! 

The best response

I have found that no response works best.  I doubt this person will inquire why because their nature is that they are the center of the world. Respond to anything else, you don't want to end the relationship.

• Cherryblssm
    Cherryblssm Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2017 #11
    After I received my complete

After I received my complete diagnosis, my main support looked at me and said "well, it's not going to kill you"

I still struggle with how to deal with this....

• HapB
    tufi000 said:

The best response

I have found that no response works best.  I doubt this person will inquire why because their nature is that they are the center of the world. Respond to anything else, you don't want to end the relationship.

tufi, you are probably right, but once in awhile, I would sure like to come out with a smart mouthed zinger!  

• Apaugh
    HapB said:

Family

annie, I simply cannot distance myself from my very large family. How exactly would that work?  

Set your boundries....

A wIise man told me, just because you are related to them does not mean you have to tolorate them.  You dont have to have a showdown with them.  I dont.  In my head, I set boundries and if they cross it, I either change the subject or I say, Oh look at the time, I got to go. 

Surround with positive, stay clear of negative vibes. 

Hugs,

Annie

• Apaugh

After I received my complete

After I received my complete diagnosis, my main support looked at me and said "well, it's not going to kill you"

I still struggle with how to deal with this....

hey

WE are here and we care.

Hugs,

Annie

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2017 #15
    family

my sister dont mention anything either..but I have always been the one helping supporting etc. i think they are scared . (my sisters anyway) have lost several of their close friends this past year.

I know they love me we talk about everyday and have family gatherings..I am the one who want things to go along as normal as possible.

prayers and hugs to alll

Beepositive 

• meschellejensen
    meschellejensen Member Posts: 117
    Cherryblssm

Are you stage 1?  When I received my full diagnosis, I heard basically the same thing.  What I heard alot was, "stage 1 is easy, you will be okay."  The other thing that I heard alot was, "you are so lucky, you should be more grateful for a stage 1 diagnosis."  The most frustrating thing though was a long text from someone important to me telling me that she has also had tough issues (tubal pregnancy and a divorce) so I need to just get tougher, everybody goes through tough things.

Like Hap, I just try to smile on the outside and tell my self that people cannot possibly understand what it is to deal with breast cancer...

• Cherryblssm
    Cherryblssm Member Posts: 19

Cherryblssm

Are you stage 1?  When I received my full diagnosis, I heard basically the same thing.  What I heard alot was, "stage 1 is easy, you will be okay."  The other thing that I heard alot was, "you are so lucky, you should be more grateful for a stage 1 diagnosis."  The most frustrating thing though was a long text from someone important to me telling me that she has also had tough issues (tubal pregnancy and a divorce) so I need to just get tougher, everybody goes through tough things.

Like Hap, I just try to smile on the outside and tell my self that people cannot possibly understand what it is to deal with breast cancer...

I'm stage 3 but it's

I'm stage 3 but it's responding well to chemo 

• meschellejensen
    meschellejensen Member Posts: 117
    Cherryblssm,

I am glad to hear that you are doing well!!  Please know that you have support here!!

• Apaugh
    HapB said:

Justme

I understand your anger and frustration. You have been through a lot and in the end, we have to care for ourselves in the best way that we can. I try to find joy in the little things that I enjoy, even if it is just a good book, or a a walk in the sunshine. I hope you can figure out what things bring you joy and focus on yourself. The thing about anger and unforgiveness is that it is poison to our bodies. I try my best to let things go, recognizing the hurt, but understanding that when people are unkind and unloving, it is about their weakness and there is nothing we can do about that. Sometimes it feels good to express our feelings, other times it is futile and a waste of our valuable time. I was raised as a Christian, but one thing I had forgotten until recently.  We are told to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. First, we have to love ourselves and be good to ourselves. Many women forget that. I hope you are good to yourself and take good care!  Hang in there! 

very well said

Hap, you said that so well.  Thank you.

Hugs,

Annie

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I think that the ribbons and

I think that the ribbons and false statistics have hurt as well as helped.  They have it seeming thatt breast Cancer is not serious any more. I have heard people say they noe have it almost gone.  I am stage 4 and at the end on hospice. However it will take me dying for understanding.  I have 10 living siblings, 4 with cancer. Now most have seen the light and everything has changed?????  I don't feel bad any more.  They are believing what they have read.

i wish you the best, you cant Chanhe some things  so do your best and know they do care just don't know what to do!

• tufi000
    camul said:

I think that the ribbons and

I think that the ribbons and false statistics have hurt as well as helped.  They have it seeming thatt breast Cancer is not serious any more. I have heard people say they noe have it almost gone.  I am stage 4 and at the end on hospice. However it will take me dying for understanding.  I have 10 living siblings, 4 with cancer. Now most have seen the light and everything has changed?????  I don't feel bad any more.  They are believing what they have read.

i wish you the best, you cant Chanhe some things  so do your best and know they do care just don't know what to do!

YES!

Teach on Sensei!!!!! Great to see you on!