Weight Survey

Options

Comments

• Kenny-
    Kenny- Member Posts: 99 Member
    edited November 2017 #42
    Options
    Update

After a 9 months of trying to gain weight...!

Pre-treatment: 160 lbs

Post treatment (min): 140 lbs

+1 year: 148 lbs

+2 year: 145 lbs

Now at 145 lbs. My dietitician made me "track calories", and I am consuming sub-2500 calories per day due to my personal diet restrictions. She mentioned that was the reason I could not put on weight. Personally, I feel like I am eating a lot, but apparently I am not by calorie counting and protein makes up less than 20% of my calories. So in conclusion, I haven't tried hard enough. I would like to try incorporating protein shakes but I get full so easily from it which I think would  make it worse! 

Anyways, thought I just share, and thank everyone for posting this information for everyone's reference.

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Kenny- said:

Update

After a 9 months of trying to gain weight...!

Pre-treatment: 160 lbs

Post treatment (min): 140 lbs

+1 year: 148 lbs

+2 year: 145 lbs

Now at 145 lbs. My dietitician made me "track calories", and I am consuming sub-2500 calories per day due to my personal diet restrictions. She mentioned that was the reason I could not put on weight. Personally, I feel like I am eating a lot, but apparently I am not by calorie counting and protein makes up less than 20% of my calories. So in conclusion, I haven't tried hard enough. I would like to try incorporating protein shakes but I get full so easily from it which I think would  make it worse! 

Anyways, thought I just share, and thank everyone for posting this information for everyone's reference.

weight

I have just been diagnosed with kidney disease, and just found the greatest tool for managing my diet.  Granted, it is written to limit certain items, but it will let you enter any meals, to your own recipes you can save, and it counts protein, calories for you!!  Gives info by item, recipe, meal, daily with incremental progress.  I was thinking how great it would be for anyone wanting to count calories for weight loss.  It would work just as well for weight gain.  It is at Davita dot com, a dialysis company.  You do have to sign up, but it is free.  I learned more about diet in the past two days than the rest of my life!  It is sooo simple!

Crystal

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    47yr old male 5' 11" tall

47yr old male 5' 11" tall

Normal Weight pre-treatment: 175

Pre-treatment intentional weight gain: 195

Lowest weight during treatment: 157

Last day of treatment: 162

Now 2 months post treatment: 165

I did not use a feeding tube and was on liquids only when I lost the most weight. I began eating solids not long after treatment ended and now can eat anything I want - Had a chicken friend steak with gravy, fries and corn for lunch yesterday.

That said, gaining weight is not nearly as easy as it used to. Pre-treatment I could gain 5 pounds in a week and have no idea how it happened. Now I intentionally eat all kinds of high calorie foods and the scale doesn't budge.

In all honesty though. The PCP reminded me that even at 175 I was technically/medically slightly overweight. For my age/gender/height I should be in the 160's. 

My only complaint is the amount of muscle mass I lost. I was really hoping it would be fat loss.

I am back at the gym again though and should be back in the boxing gym shortly. That will definitely mean I have to consume even more calories, but maybe the muscle mass will come back too.

• christine2080
    christine2080 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    64 year old male 5'11" tall

pre treatment normal weight- 194

pre treatment intentional weight gain - 209

post treatment (finished yesterday) - 178.1

My husband has not gotten a peg yet and if he can avoid it he plans to do without one. However, it is an option that is still on the table. He has had pretty bad nausea for the last 3 weeks and is just now getting a handle on it. He is living on Ensure (which he hates) and has worked up to 2 a day with a goal of 4 a day.

• nancytc
    nancytc Member Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2017 #46
    Options
    5'1 58 yr old woman

My preweight 105

Intentional weight gain 109

post treatment 93

current weight 7 mos post 99

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    edited November 2017 #47
    Options
    Currently

Down 100 - intentionally.. I have been dieting for years, and if I have to get cancer, something GOOD is going to come out of it!

40 more to go!

• frokker68
    frokker68 Member Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2017 #48
    Options
    295 pre treatment

295 pre treatment

220 post treatment (only been 4 1/2 months)

• DanceSkater
    DanceSkater Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2017 #49
    Options
    5'5" 68 yr old female

pre - 155

post (rad & urbitux June 2016) - 130    (with peg tube)

post radical left neck dissection (June 2017) - 118   (with another peg tube)

Have been advised to increase weight a bit.

• FamilyLove
    FamilyLove Member Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    55 yr old female

Pre-treatment 158 lbs  Jan 2016

during treatment- 109

22 months out 115

• JBBW
    JBBW Member Posts: 30
    Options
    52 year old male

in the years before pre-treatment (Ulcerative Colitis) varies between 200 lbs and 250 lbs

pre-treatment 225 lbs

post-treatment 195 lbs

post-treament plus 1 month to present (3 months) 185 lbs

• Andy13460
    Andy13460 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Weight lets do the maths to put it right

Stillman height/weight ratio table. The average man is allocated 110 lbs (50kg) for the first 5 feet (1.524m) in height. Thereafter, he is allocated 5½ lbs (2.495 kg) for every additional inch (O.025m) in height.

Thus, a man 6 feet tall (1.829m) would be allocated 110lbs (50kg) plus 12 x 5½lbs (2.495kg), which comes to 176 lbs or 12 st 8lbs (80kg). The exceptions to the rule are Japanese wrestlers, heavyweight boxers and certain rugby players, who aim to exceed this weight. Females are allocated 100 lbs (45kg) for the first 5 feet (1.524m) and 5lbs (2.268kg) for every inch thereafter. Therefore a woman who is 5 ft 6ins (1.676m) tall would be given 100 lbs plus 6 x 5lbs, which totals 130 lbs or 9st.4lbs (59kg).

It dosent matter what weight you where this is what you should be

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    edited December 2017 #53
    Options
    Interesting

Have you all noticed that not one person is heavier after treatment than before? I thought the human body slowed its metabolism down to accomodate days/weeks without food.  People who starve themselves to lose weight always seem to gain more back.  Why not with us?  Did the cancer do something to our metabolism?  Or are we just eating less because of what happened.

I have to eat slow and avoid grains or anything dry that will get caught in my throat.  That food seems to like to stick to my scar tissue where my tumor was.  There is only so many times you can eat either eggs or cream of wheat to avoid coughing. 

Just an observation.

• MissBlueEyes4Life
    Options
    Pre-surgery 175

Pre-surgery 175

Post surgery 163 (couldn't believe I lost that much in 4-5 days)

Few month's into treatment 145 

Post treatment (currently 4 months out) 152 

Not sure how I gained weight when I'm on only tube feeds. But I am glad to not be 175 anymore, been trying to lose weight for long time but couldn't drop anymore than a few pounds so hey got something good out of all this.

• Andy13460
    Andy13460 Member Posts: 115
    Options

Interesting

Have you all noticed that not one person is heavier after treatment than before? I thought the human body slowed its metabolism down to accomodate days/weeks without food.  People who starve themselves to lose weight always seem to gain more back.  Why not with us?  Did the cancer do something to our metabolism?  Or are we just eating less because of what happened.

I have to eat slow and avoid grains or anything dry that will get caught in my throat.  That food seems to like to stick to my scar tissue where my tumor was.  There is only so many times you can eat either eggs or cream of wheat to avoid coughing. 

Just an observation.

Weight gain

If I stopped running and didnt count calories the weight would fly back on it took me ages to get back down after treatment, still trying to lose another 8 lbs.

Before cancer treatment 139 lbs   put 21 lbs on before treatment started = 160 lbs. Last day of treatment 148 lbs, now 135.4 lbs and I want to get down to 128 lbs for running.

• tommyodavey
    Options
    Update

Had to dig this one up from the archives.  One of the magazines I subscribe to is Men's Health because I get so much good information from it.  80% is not revelent due to my age now (64) but still, ton's of great tidbits of info.

What I just recently read and the reason for bringing this post back up was the question asked about sustaining weight loss.  Everything I've read in the past has said that a yo yo diet causes more weight gain.  The body senses the loss of fat and slows the metabolism to compensate.  Then people eat like before and gain the pounds back faster.  

The actual question was "does the body ever adjust to a new weight?" (not exact) The answer was that, yes, if you go at least a year the body will accept the new weight as normal.  My wife argued this one with me but lost because she dieted for a year but still splurged about once a week.  I explained that we couldn't splurge even if we wanted to. Just couldn't swallow w/o slapping my leg a dozen times in pain.

That explains this post now.  I couldn't figure out why every single one of us now weighs less than what we started at, even though our diet is back to normal.

Thinking about my own experience, it did take about a year for the radiation pain, surgery pain, and swelling to go down enough to eat normally.  And even now I don't eat the same stuff due to trying to eat healthier food and ones that won't get stuck on the scar tissue in the throat.

To refresh the memory.  I was 182-185 lbs before DX.  Went down to about 160-175 during the worst of it.  Now, I'm a constant 170-172 without even trying.  Most of it being in my stomach of course so I'm not too happy.  Just too lazy to do anything about it.

That's it.  Just wanted to update this subject with an explanation. If you know something I don't, please post it.  Or correct me if I'm wrong.

• Kskokko
    Kskokko Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Weight

pretreatment.  156

post treatment. 155

now.  151

i really struggle to maintain my weight 

• hlrowe
    hlrowe Member Posts: 80
    Options
    58 male when treated

finished 06/12

Pre 185

Post 150

Current 6 years later 180

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    one of us?

I couldn't figure out why every single one of us now weighs less than what we started at, even though our diet is back to normal

Geez, I thought I was one of us. My weight returned to pre-treatment days. Eating like a pig and enjoying every bite. LOL

• tommyodavey
    edited July 2018 #60
    Options
    donfoo said:

one of us?

I couldn't figure out why every single one of us now weighs less than what we started at, even though our diet is back to normal

Geez, I thought I was one of us. My weight returned to pre-treatment days. Eating like a pig and enjoying every bite. LOL

Corrected

Okay donfoo, that statement needs a correction.  Most of us.

• gamaral
    gamaral Member Posts: 1
    Options
    35/M 5'10

Pre-treatment: 282 Pounds

Post-treatment: 182 Pounds

Dropped 100 pounds in about 2 years of treatment (surgery, surgery, radio+chemo, chemo, surgery)

I had a total glossectomy recently, so the chances of me gaining it back are pretty much null; Still not out of the woods (margings wheren't clean), so I have to start trying to pack some pounds if/when I require more treatment.