ROLL CALL 2015 (ENROLLMENT, CHECKING-IN, STATUS UPDATE) CLOSED 8-15-15

Options

Comments

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    Options
    PJ Wilmington NC

Stage 3 or 4 (depending on the MD) BOT SCC HPV 16+

TORS to BOT and Left neck dissection with one out of 22 lymph nodes + Sept. 2013

33rounds of radiation ending in Dec 2013

2 PEG tubes (never used for food, but had to irrigate anyway)

8 front teeth filled so far and 2 cataract surgeries 1 year following treament and now shinglesFrown

Got rid of the HPV virus with AHCC Smile

Whooping it up in Montana now and eating peach, chocolate, and hucklberry pie and ice cream.  Also kayaking, swimming and dancing to work the calories off. Cool

Loving life and all its ups and downs. 

PJ

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Checking In

Jeff from Bernville PA.

Diagnosed with base of tongue cancer October of 2009. At the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania I had a full neck dissection a week before Christmas removing part of my tongue, epiglottis, lymph nodes, and uvula. Radiation February 16, 2010 through March 30, 2010. January 2015 I was told I was cured but my wife reminded me and the Doc only of cancer.

I have often said it was the hardest thing I ever had to endure in my life but if I can do it anybody can do it. I now live happily ever after spending the kid’s inheritance.

• Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Duggie88 said:

Checking In

Jeff from Bernville PA.

Diagnosed with base of tongue cancer October of 2009. At the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania I had a full neck dissection a week before Christmas removing part of my tongue, epiglottis, lymph nodes, and uvula. Radiation February 16, 2010 through March 30, 2010. January 2015 I was told I was cured but my wife reminded me and the Doc only of cancer.

I have often said it was the hardest thing I ever had to endure in my life but if I can do it anybody can do it. I now live happily ever after spending the kid’s inheritance.

Greg53

Stage IV SCC of Tonsil with bilateral mets to lymph nodes / 2010 / St. Louis, Missouri.

This thread was always one of my favorites - great way to see how old friends are doing - Thanks Matt and Skiff!  And RIP HAWVET

Positive thoughts and Good Mojo to everyone!

Greg

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Roll call

Husband Jim diagnosed with stage four base of tongue in May 2011. 35 Rads and Cisplatin. Mets to lungs 3 months after treatment ended. Lost battle on Good Friday 2014

Mother diagnosed with lung cancer Oct. 2014, mets to eye April 2015 25 Rads on eye. Lung Rads to begin in a week to treat tumor rubbing vessel and causing blood loss. 

Next to my faith this site is my lifeline. 

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Still here

Kent Cass

Quad Cities, Illinois

DX: 11/2008  Stage-3 NPC

Treatment 2/09-4/09 Concurrent Cisplatin and 5-FU, carrying 2 bags&pumps twice for 96 hours weeks 1 and 4. 6800 rads in a total of 20 places/session, though missed weeks 5 and 6 (was in the hospital for 4 nights). 31 full rad sessions, and the last 4 in only 5 places.

Over $11K in Dental bills since tx, with 2 root canals and 3 new Crowns, and tops of 10 teeth keep getting rebuilt

Returned to work a month after the last rad, and still working as an Inspector at a progressive metalworking factory.

Believe

KentCass..

Good seein you bud..., long time..

John

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

Roll call

Husband Jim diagnosed with stage four base of tongue in May 2011. 35 Rads and Cisplatin. Mets to lungs 3 months after treatment ended. Lost battle on Good Friday 2014

Mother diagnosed with lung cancer Oct. 2014, mets to eye April 2015 25 Rads on eye. Lung Rads to begin in a week to treat tumor rubbing vessel and causing blood loss. 

Next to my faith this site is my lifeline. 

Family

You are family....

So glad that you're still part of the gang.. Sure miss the fishin stories with your man..

John

• ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Family

You are family....

So glad that you're still part of the gang.. Sure miss the fishin stories with your man..

John

STILL HERE

Still here.  DX with Base of Tongue stage 4 in March 2012.  Chemo and Rads, no feeding tube.  Kansas.  I agree this site got me thru the treatments, along with God and my wife Diane.  Not sure what we would have done without it. 

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    staceya said:

Roll call 2015

Thanks so much for keeping this going!

Dx 2009, NP T1, 35 rad. Class of 2010. NED since. I am more of a reader than a poster, but REALLY feel connected to this group. Made a huge difference during treatment. 

Thanks,

Stacey

pets welcome

Stacey,

Where’s my goat?

Matt

• dunedintech
    dunedintech Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Checking In

Diagnosed Jan 7 2013. SCC front left of tongue. Partial glossectomy plus modified neck dissection (27 lymph nodes removed) showed one node infected. 

6 weeks of radio plus 3 x Cisplatins. NED as from April 9 2013.

Ticking along ok as at 15 July 15. 

CPC

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    phrannie51

Nasopharyngeal (NPC) diagnosed March 2012.

Kalispell, Mt.

Last Onc check up in May, 2015...all clear....last ENT check up July 2015....all clear.....scan scheduled for Aug. 12, 2015....praying for another all clear. 

• RushFan
    RushFan Member Posts: 224
    Options
    Checking in

January 2010, swollen lymph node was a concern after not responding to two rounds of antibiotics.
    Diagnosed SCC unknown primary HPV+ T0,N2b, with lymph node envolvement
    Completed treatments 4/30/2010 M.D. Anderson : 35 rads, 7 once weekly doses of CisplatinGiven the all clear May 2013, which was a surprise. Doing great, dry mouth at night...some minor swallowing issues.Best to all,Chuck

• yensid683
    yensid683 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Yensid683 - Peter

Orlando FL

joined April 2012, DX March of 2012 with BOT, stage IVa with left cervical node involvment.

Induction Chemo

Concurrent Chemo and rads - last rad 7/5/12

two selective neck dissections

NED and going strong!

• avisemi
    avisemi Member Posts: 172
    Options
    Avisemi (real name is Majose)

Avisemi (real name is Majose) caregiver. My husband Dmitri was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma stage 3 or 4 depending on doc on Sept 2014. 

We live in Washington, DC. 

Finished treatment in Feb this year. First post treatment scans were NED. Next ones are next month. 

Pone of the favorite tips I learned here: "if Jeff can do it, Dmitri can do it" Laughing

• robswife87
    robswife87 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Update

Caregiver for husband Rob

Howell, MI

Joined 4/2013

Tonsil Cancer Stage IV A SCC, HPV+, Lymph Node involvement

No surgery, just radiation and chemo

July 6, 2015 NED and doing great

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

Update

Caregiver for husband Rob

Howell, MI

Joined 4/2013

Tonsil Cancer Stage IV A SCC, HPV+, Lymph Node involvement

No surgery, just radiation and chemo

July 6, 2015 NED and doing great

husband Jim

5 years post-treatment for inoperable late stage hypopharyngeal and base of tongue with lymph node involvement.

Jim has developed dysautonomia likely as a result of his treatment.

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options

husband Jim

5 years post-treatment for inoperable late stage hypopharyngeal and base of tongue with lymph node involvement.

Jim has developed dysautonomia likely as a result of his treatment.

Mike checking in

Decatur. GA.  6+ years NED, but still dealing with the after effects from rads.  But, it sure beats the alternative!

Mike

• MGC
    MGC Member Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mikemetz said:

Mike checking in

Decatur. GA.  6+ years NED, but still dealing with the after effects from rads.  But, it sure beats the alternative!

Mike

Mark checking in

Diag Feb-2010 T4,N2c or T3N2.  Stage 4 SCC Right Tonsil & BOT HPV + Multiple lymph nodes on primary side in neck and shoulder. No metastasis to other side and still NED;-)

33 Rads, 2 out 3 Chemo, (Cisplatin). Completed May 2010

Have the Usual side effects, chemo killed my hearing and tinitus as well. Could not recieve 3rd dose of chemo. Dry mouth, nothing even remotely spicey etc etc.

All good and happy to be here, adapting along like we all have to do. Did treatment at Stanford and have no regrets making the regular long 430 mile trek.

At the five year mark starting experiencing more severe radiation side effects. Hypoglosal nerve on primary side starting to die. Developed a slight speech slur and partial loss of tongue coordination as well and difficulty swallowing (more than usual). Actually choked on lunch at work and thank GOD was successfully heimliched to safety. 5 Weeks later my ribs are just now getting better. Learning to adapt more and chewing and chewing my food even more. Very scarry experiene. 

All in all, still feel real good, working full time plus and appreciate everyone here on this board. I do not post much but i read often and appreciate the regualar posters. Some of the posters here are just here 24-7 and offer their undivided support to everyone regardless of their plight. I just want to say thank you to all of you for all of your support. Hopefully we can all continue to help each other. Have not seen poster Love for lacross around and wondeer if he is still ok.

Thanks again to all

• josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Roll Call

josh r.

scc stage iv throat 1991

joined csn 2010

"Jimmy V's"; "Never, never,never, never give up!" When I returned to teaching on January 4, 1992 I put his quote above my classroom door so when leaving the room it was imposssible to miss. I'd like to think that being there for the last sixteen years of my teaching career it gave someone hope as much for them as it did for me.

• joannaw81
    joannaw81 Member Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    josh r. said:

Roll Call

josh r.

scc stage iv throat 1991

joined csn 2010

"Jimmy V's"; "Never, never,never, never give up!" When I returned to teaching on January 4, 1992 I put his quote above my classroom door so when leaving the room it was imposssible to miss. I'd like to think that being there for the last sixteen years of my teaching career it gave someone hope as much for them as it did for me.

joanna

Caregiver to my mom. Diagnosed in oct of 2010, stage 3 tonsil and later tongue twice, neck dissection on both sides and radiation. 3 recurrances with last surgery on 3/1/12. NED for 3 years and 5 months which Ii thank God for.  THIS SITE AND ALL OF U HELPED ME  AND MY MOM GET THROUGH THIS. GOD BLESS U ALL. 

• Loves2read
    Loves2read Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Checking In

Loves2read, my husband was diagnosed 12/14 with Tonsil SCC HPV+, we are from Virginia.

He finished radiation/chemo Feb 2015 (no surgery) and is doing well (NED!). In March, had tubes in his ears to relieve fluid build-up from radiation. Getting fitted for CPAP to address apnea, throat must still be swollen or narrower than before treatment. I am very appreciative of the regulars on this board. 

My mom was just diagnosed with Psuedomyxoma Peritonei, a rare appendix cancer, which will be treated in NC.  I am a thryoid cancer survivor, since 2008.  On paper/screen it may seem depressing, but we are surrounded by love and light and don't let this get us down. Grateful to be surrounded by love and surprised by hope at every turn! God bless everyone.  --Elizabeth