Options
13»

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Rague said:

I was told that the hand

I was told that the hand veins should not be used either as it is after all part of the arm.  Potential there to compromise the lymphatic system just as with the rest of the arm.  No BP or shots/injections either.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

I have heard that too.

But I am slap out of 'places' that haven't been compromised.

They even take my bp on my ankle.

Nurses hate to see me coming. 

Zah

• zahalene
    Options

Hands?

I can't believe they poked your hands if you had nodes removed on both sides. They should not touch you anywhere on either arm. That really sucks, but a port will be such a relief for you. I know one time they were trying to start an IV on me and it took them nine times of getting it in and blowing my veins. It hurt like crazy. That's why I always use my port now.

Gonna be interesting...

to see what they come up with when I go in on the 7th for my port installation as they plan to put me 'under'. 

Zah

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Zah, you'll be glad to have

Zah, you'll be glad to have the port.  It's implanted by a surgeon under light sedation usually in a surgi center.  With all the infusions and bloodwork you will need it will be much easier.  It's usually implanted on the left side straight into the artery.  You'll be fine.  I had mine implanted on a Monday and started chemo that Friday.  Was a little sore until it finished healing but very doable.  Strength my friend.

• zahalene
    Options

Zah, you'll be glad to have

Zah, you'll be glad to have the port.  It's implanted by a surgeon under light sedation usually in a surgi center.  With all the infusions and bloodwork you will need it will be much easier.  It's usually implanted on the left side straight into the artery.  You'll be fine.  I had mine implanted on a Monday and started chemo that Friday.  Was a little sore until it finished healing but very doable.  Strength my friend.

Thanks

Got that lil sucker implanted yesterday.

And lived to tell the tale!

Will begin Herceptin infusions next week.

As you said, very doable.

Zah