Port information needed

Options

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options

Mine was put in at the

Mine was put in at the hospital.  I was put under for it.  Before they released me, they brought iin a potable x-ray machine to be sure it was in as it should be.   I was home well before lunch.

When they took it out they just numbed the area.  It was in a small OR at the hospital.  I was in/out quickly,  as I had not been anesthetized.

Port in - March 2012

Port out - January 2013

I think ...

I would rather be put under but don't know if that is

what my onco has in mind or not.

I was recently put under for a bone biopsy and then

went home later that day. 

I would just rather not be aware of what they are doing to me

while it is happening.

Zah

• zahalene
    Options

GlowMore

The picture might not give an idea of its size, but I can say that the port area was not too obvious.  Yes, there was a slight bump, but definitely smaller than a fifty-cent piece.  Getting it out, I could feel some tugging to free it from tissue that had grown in that area.  I could hear my surgeon scraping it as he freed it, too.  

If you can't copy/paste this link, let me know.  I can try something else.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FW0dqWp3Feo/UGo8CUyhkEI/AAAAAAAAACs/hPKNdroEDRg/s1600/799px-Porta_cath.jpg

The link worked

Thanks dg, I had no idea what they were talking

about when they said a small 'button'. 

Now I do.

Not nearly as intimidating as I imagined.

Zah

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    zahalene said:

I am so glad....

that things have changed for the better since I had chemo.

I don't dread this whole deal nearly as much after hearing

you guys tell me what to expect from the port and all.

I am not as young as I used to be and I just don't think I

could deal with a lot of stuff I did before.

Plus, I have diabetes now and have to manage that along with

all these new changes due to the new dx.

Oh, well.  It is what it is.

Thanks for the info glo.

port placement

my port is the size of a quarter, maybe even a little smaller. Mine was placed in the xray dept at the hospital by a specially trained radiologist. They usually give light sedation (versed and fentanyl) thru the IV that makes you sleep through the procedure, then take you to the outpatient recovery area for a couple hours and you go home.

• zahalene
    Options

port placement

my port is the size of a quarter, maybe even a little smaller. Mine was placed in the xray dept at the hospital by a specially trained radiologist. They usually give light sedation (versed and fentanyl) thru the IV that makes you sleep through the procedure, then take you to the outpatient recovery area for a couple hours and you go home.

Thanks, Puff

Good to know.

I just want to get this step over with and move

on with the treatments.

Sounds like this port thing is good for a lot of

stuff like blood draws and such.

I may never have mine removed!

Zah

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

port placement

We are each very different

We are each very different and our Drs are too.  Different ways of implanting ports are common.

In my case, I was totally 'knocked' out in the OR.  I am very hard to keep 'knocked out'.  I woke up in OR in time to see my Breast Surgeon walk out the door.  He went up to talk to Hubby and told him it'd be a couple of hours before I'd be ready to go home -WRONG.  I was taken straight to Discharge where they called him (he was supposed to go do morning barn chores but still in the parking lot).  By the time he got parked again and back up to the surgery floor, I had eaten a delicious muffin, drank some OJ (not good FL OJ) and was dressed ready to go.

There are so many variables.

My port is a Bard Power Port.  The overall shape is a rounded triangle, probably about the size of a quarter.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• Rague
    Options
    zahalene said:

Thanks, Puff

Good to know.

I just want to get this step over with and move

on with the treatments.

Sounds like this port thing is good for a lot of

stuff like blood draws and such.

I may never have mine removed!

Zah

Port is a good thing!  It

Port is a good thing!  It saves your veins.  I have great/good veins and intended keep them good as after UMX only one arm could be used for draws/etc..  I do not use my port for blood draws - it's a lot quicker and easier to just hit my vein.  To access a port, it takes an RN or MD as to prevent clotting it is filled with heprin.  After port is used the heprin has to be put back in.  Done automatically by the RNs at infusion centers.  Find out if your center has numbing spray or ask for EMLA cream (numbing cream).  

My port (My little soldier standing guard) has been in ?for over 5 yrs and it is not coming out anytime soon.  I do go monthy for a flush (herprin replacement).

Each of unique and have go do what we believe is best for us.

• zahalene
    Options
    Rague said:

We are each very different

We are each very different and our Drs are too.  Different ways of implanting ports are common.

In my case, I was totally 'knocked' out in the OR.  I am very hard to keep 'knocked out'.  I woke up in OR in time to see my Breast Surgeon walk out the door.  He went up to talk to Hubby and told him it'd be a couple of hours before I'd be ready to go home -WRONG.  I was taken straight to Discharge where they called him (he was supposed to go do morning barn chores but still in the parking lot).  By the time he got parked again and back up to the surgery floor, I had eaten a delicious muffin, drank some OJ (not good FL OJ) and was dressed ready to go.

There are so many variables.

My port is a Bard Power Port.  The overall shape is a rounded triangle, probably about the size of a quarter.

Susan

Thanks Susan

And everyone.

Now I know what questions to ask and what

some of my options are when I go in for my port

implant. 

I can tell them, 'Susan said this and Glo said that....

and....Puff said....etc.'

That should impress them.  :)

I'll let you all know how it went.

Zah

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

GlowMore

The picture might not give an idea of its size, but I can say that the port area was not too obvious.  Yes, there was a slight bump, but definitely smaller than a fifty-cent piece.  Getting it out, I could feel some tugging to free it from tissue that had grown in that area.  I could hear my surgeon scraping it as he freed it, too.  

If you can't copy/paste this link, let me know.  I can try something else.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FW0dqWp3Feo/UGo8CUyhkEI/AAAAAAAAACs/hPKNdroEDRg/s1600/799px-Porta_cath.jpg

Thanks desertgirl

Just cked out the link and that is cute as can be  :)   Mine was bigger and didn't have the style of that one  ha ha

Looks like they have improved it a lot and should be super easy to place now....  isn't that GREAT?   It is a wonderful improvement from the Hickman Catheter that my Sister in Law has to have back in the mid 80s...........   Thanks

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    zahalene said:

Thanks Susan

And everyone.

Now I know what questions to ask and what

some of my options are when I go in for my port

implant. 

I can tell them, 'Susan said this and Glo said that....

and....Puff said....etc.'

That should impress them.  :)

I'll let you all know how it went.

Zah

You Go Girl

But you and I both know what they will say is:  "Breath Deep" and before you know it you will be waking up  LOL

• zahalene
    Options
    GlowMore said:

You Go Girl

But you and I both know what they will say is:  "Breath Deep" and before you know it you will be waking up  LOL

I know...

I was put 'under' a couple of months ago for a bone biopsy.

After they put the iv in my arm and stopped asking me 101 questions I fell asleep on the table before they ever injected the 'sleep' stuff!

My SO told me later...

'I asked the attendant, 'Have you put her to sleep already?'

He said, 'No she is just relaxing.' 

Little he knew.  I was out like a light.

(Actually my blood sugar was very low from fasting for the test and that makes a diabetic really sleepy.)  :)

Zah

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    zahalene said:

I know...

I was put 'under' a couple of months ago for a bone biopsy.

After they put the iv in my arm and stopped asking me 101 questions I fell asleep on the table before they ever injected the 'sleep' stuff!

My SO told me later...

'I asked the attendant, 'Have you put her to sleep already?'

He said, 'No she is just relaxing.' 

Little he knew.  I was out like a light.

(Actually my blood sugar was very low from fasting for the test and that makes a diabetic really sleepy.)  :)

Zah

Hi Zah:
    I had my port in for

Hi Zah:

I had my port in for over 6 years.   They kept putting it off to remove it, then my oncologist retired, the new guy said he was superstititous and didn't want it removed, etc. etc.   I finally had it taken out.    I only used it for 6 months during treatment, and then went monthly to have it flushed for the next 5 1/2 years.   

Kathy

• zahalene
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Hi Zah:
    I had my port in for

Hi Zah:

I had my port in for over 6 years.   They kept putting it off to remove it, then my oncologist retired, the new guy said he was superstititous and didn't want it removed, etc. etc.   I finally had it taken out.    I only used it for 6 months during treatment, and then went monthly to have it flushed for the next 5 1/2 years.   

Kathy

Thanks Kathy

It's good to know it can stay in there and not be a bother.

I would hate to have it taken out and then have to be put back later.

Zah

• mtmom
    mtmom Member Posts: 59
    Options
    zahalene said:

Thanks Kathy

It's good to know it can stay in there and not be a bother.

I would hate to have it taken out and then have to be put back later.

Zah

Zahalene,
    I hope all goes

Zahalene,

I hope all goes well for your port placement. And I second keeping it in. I did not. Had it taken out last month and just had to have it put back in last week. Did not go as well the second time around and I really regret being in such a hurry to have it removed. Plan on leaving it in the rest of my life...may it be long!

Blessings to you,

~Mtmom

• zahalene
    Options
    mtmom said:

Zahalene,
    I hope all goes

Zahalene,

I hope all goes well for your port placement. And I second keeping it in. I did not. Had it taken out last month and just had to have it put back in last week. Did not go as well the second time around and I really regret being in such a hurry to have it removed. Plan on leaving it in the rest of my life...may it be long!

Blessings to you,

~Mtmom

Amen Mtmom

I will have mine implanted on the 7th of this month.

So on the 8th (or sooner) you can expect to see me here whining about it.  :)

Thanks for your support.

Zah

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    zahalene said:

Amen Mtmom

I will have mine implanted on the 7th of this month.

So on the 8th (or sooner) you can expect to see me here whining about it.  :)

Thanks for your support.

Zah

It will be OK, zah...

When we went through our cancer crap long ago - ports weren't commonly used. As you've learned here, now they are.

Will be thinking good thoughts for you on the 7th. And visiting here on the 8th - anxious to experience your whining. :-)

Kind regards, Susan

• nannyginnie
    nannyginnie Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I am on my second port and I

I am on my second port and I love it! My first round of breast cancer i had a port placed in my left arm. I got used to it really quick and never noticed it unless I accidently hit it on something. Then my onc wanted it out as soon as I was in remission and off chemo. I wished I could have kept it just in case.

Then in January 2013 I was diagnosed with mets and had to start chemo again so I had a POWER PORT put in my upper right chest. Having a power port in my chest was so much better than the old one I had had in my arm. Only with a power port can you use it for things like CT scans or anything needing fast injecting dye. The port they place in your arm isn't strong enough for rapid injection so you would still have to get an IV in that case. That's why I wanted the power port, I have no veins left and only one arm is usable due to lymph node removal.

I promise you that you will love having a port and not getting poked over and over to try to find a good enough vein for an IV.

• zahalene
    Options

It will be OK, zah...

When we went through our cancer crap long ago - ports weren't commonly used. As you've learned here, now they are.

Will be thinking good thoughts for you on the 7th. And visiting here on the 8th - anxious to experience your whining. :-)

Kind regards, Susan

Hugs Susan

It sure helps to know I have all this support at the tips of my fingers.

Zah

• zahalene
    Options

I am on my second port and I

I am on my second port and I love it! My first round of breast cancer i had a port placed in my left arm. I got used to it really quick and never noticed it unless I accidently hit it on something. Then my onc wanted it out as soon as I was in remission and off chemo. I wished I could have kept it just in case.

Then in January 2013 I was diagnosed with mets and had to start chemo again so I had a POWER PORT put in my upper right chest. Having a power port in my chest was so much better than the old one I had had in my arm. Only with a power port can you use it for things like CT scans or anything needing fast injecting dye. The port they place in your arm isn't strong enough for rapid injection so you would still have to get an IV in that case. That's why I wanted the power port, I have no veins left and only one arm is usable due to lymph node removal.

I promise you that you will love having a port and not getting poked over and over to try to find a good enough vein for an IV.

That is very comforting.

I have NO good veins left (surgery on both sides with lymph nodes removed).

So I have been stuck in the back of my hand and my feet and other places we won't mention (jk).

But a port sounds like a really good idea at this point.

Thanks.

Zah

• Rague
    Options
    zahalene said:

That is very comforting.

So I have been stuck in the back of my hand and my feet and other places we won't mention (jk).

Thanks.

Zah

I was told that the hand

I was told that the hand veins should not be used either as it is after all part of the arm.  Potential there to compromise the lymphatic system just as with the rest of the arm.  No BP or shots/injections either.

Susan

• nannyginnie
    nannyginnie Member Posts: 7
    Options
    zahalene said:

That is very comforting.

Thanks.

Zah

Hands?

I can't believe they poked your hands if you had nodes removed on both sides. They should not touch you anywhere on either arm. That really sucks, but a port will be such a relief for you. I know one time they were trying to start an IV on me and it took them nine times of getting it in and blowing my veins. It hurt like crazy. That's why I always use my port now.