Port information needed

Options
zahalene
zahalene Member Posts: 670

I will be having a port installed soon before beginning Herceptin infusions.

I have never had a port before.

How long does it need to heal before treatments begin?

Does it bother you after it is in place and healed?

If I am right handed should I have it implanted on the left side or does it matter?

Sorry to be such a wuss, just a bit nervous.

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I had mine put in
    it was eithrr the next day or the day after that. I had chemo. Ilove my port. At first I could tell it wasthere, but after afew days I didnt even notice. I didnt have one the first time around, thought no big deal. I didnt even think about all the blood draws, surgeries etc and because they took the nodes on the right side every thing was done on the left so my veins were shot!
    I was so scared and it was a very easy pro edure for me.
    Good luck!
    Carol
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    My Port Experience

By all means, get a port. You will not be sorry that you did. I have been fortunate to have smoothe skin with next to invisible veins. It makes for a lovely feminine look but it is difficult to find a vein. Often pediatric needles have to be used. With all the upcoming bloodwork, chemo and other diagnostics requiring vein access I couldn't have imagined having a technician  finding those tiny veins so often. 

I had the port implanted by my general surgeon at an outpatient surgery center. I am left-handed and it was implanted about 3 inches below my collarbone on the left side. All my surgery had been done on the right side. At first it felt strange - like my chin was somehow tethered to my chest. It didn't really hurt though. After a week or so even that feeling disappeared. I was fortunate to be able to begin chemo about 3 weeks after the port placement. It didn't require any special care in the shower and if I were so inclined I could have gone swimming. My main issue with the port was mental. It was odd feeling this bump under the skin on the upper part of my chest. It gave me the willies to touch it. I received sixteen rounds of chemo through the port. Prior to each chemo infusion I had blood drawn. That is 32 so far. Then of course there were the IV fluids a couple of times. I kept the port in for about 4 months after chemo was over. I know many people keep the port in much longer. I just wanted it out and my oncologist and surgeon were OK with that. I didn't mind a monthly blood draw through an arm vein for a little while. It was removed with local anesthesia in the surgeon's office. I drove myself there and back. 

You can do this.

IRENE

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Had a port put in about a

Had a port put in about a week or two before I began chemo.  No problem. The decision to put it on my right side was because I had had more extensive surgery on the left side.

A port is very beneficial.

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I had my port put in over a

I had my port put in over a year ago.  I am so grateful for it!  It has saved me so many sticks!

I was sent home the day they put my port in.  Mine was placed on my left and I can't remember why that side.  It must not have taken me any time to heal, because I can't remember much about it at all.

At first, I was more conscious of it physically - or maybe it was still a little tender.  I am not aware of it at all anymore.  I have a sheepskin thingie on my seatbelt that would normally hit that side.  It makes it much more comfortable when  am driving.

Good luck!

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    numbing cream for port

Love my port. No one has mentioned the numbing cream in their responses. Be sure and get a script from your onc for the tube of numbing cream. Apply a glob of cream in the center of the port about 1 -2 hours before you expect the nurse to poke the needle into the port. Tape a small square of plastic wrap over the port to keep the cream in place so your clothes won't rub it off. I didn't feel any of my pokes, some people have described the pokes as very uncomfortable without the cream.

• zahalene
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

Sooo grateful for all the help and advice.

I feel so much better about this port thing.

This is my 4th cancer dx and you'd think I

could handle a little thing like a port without

freaking out, but I guess we all have our

'eek, I hafta WHAT?' moments.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

Best wishes to all of you and thanks for taking

time to help me through this.

Zah

• zahalene
    Options

I had my port put in over a

I had my port put in over a year ago.  I am so grateful for it!  It has saved me so many sticks!

I was sent home the day they put my port in.  Mine was placed on my left and I can't remember why that side.  It must not have taken me any time to heal, because I can't remember much about it at all.

At first, I was more conscious of it physically - or maybe it was still a little tender.  I am not aware of it at all anymore.  I have a sheepskin thingie on my seatbelt that would normally hit that side.  It makes it much more comfortable when  am driving.

Good luck!

Ohhhh....

The seat belt issue hadn't even occured to me.

Thanks for the heads up CC!

Zah

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    zahalene said:

Thanks, everyone!

Sooo grateful for all the help and advice.

I feel so much better about this port thing.

This is my 4th cancer dx and you'd think I

could handle a little thing like a port without

freaking out, but I guess we all have our

'eek, I hafta WHAT?' moments.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

Best wishes to all of you and thanks for taking

time to help me through this.

Zah

Zah, you are not alone at

Zah, you are not alone at all!  Your feelings are normal.  I am freaked out waiting on a biopsy right now and I was first diagnosed in 1987 (27 years ago).  Lol, change is scary and waiting is just as scary!

• zahalene
    Options

Had a port put in about a

Had a port put in about a week or two before I began chemo.  No problem. The decision to put it on my right side was because I had had more extensive surgery on the left side.

A port is very beneficial.

Thanks dg

I have had surgery on both sides but it has been

several years ago so maybe there won't be a

problem with where to put it.   I hope.

Zah

• zahalene
    Options

My Port Experience

By all means, get a port. You will not be sorry that you did. I have been fortunate to have smoothe skin with next to invisible veins. It makes for a lovely feminine look but it is difficult to find a vein. Often pediatric needles have to be used. With all the upcoming bloodwork, chemo and other diagnostics requiring vein access I couldn't have imagined having a technician  finding those tiny veins so often. 

I had the port implanted by my general surgeon at an outpatient surgery center. I am left-handed and it was implanted about 3 inches below my collarbone on the left side. All my surgery had been done on the right side. At first it felt strange - like my chin was somehow tethered to my chest. It didn't really hurt though. After a week or so even that feeling disappeared. I was fortunate to be able to begin chemo about 3 weeks after the port placement. It didn't require any special care in the shower and if I were so inclined I could have gone swimming. My main issue with the port was mental. It was odd feeling this bump under the skin on the upper part of my chest. It gave me the willies to touch it. I received sixteen rounds of chemo through the port. Prior to each chemo infusion I had blood drawn. That is 32 so far. Then of course there were the IV fluids a couple of times. I kept the port in for about 4 months after chemo was over. I know many people keep the port in much longer. I just wanted it out and my oncologist and surgeon were OK with that. I didn't mind a monthly blood draw through an arm vein for a little while. It was removed with local anesthesia in the surgeon's office. I drove myself there and back. 

You can do this.

IRENE

Thanks IRENE

I have small veins too and I hate it.

And the port can be used for all kinds of stuff.

That's good to know.  I hate getting stuck in the

arm or back of the hand or even the foot!  OUCH!

Good to know I can shower without a problem too.

• zahalene
    Options
    camul said:

I had mine put in
    it was eithrr the next day or the day after that. I had chemo. Ilove my port. At first I could tell it wasthere, but after afew days I didnt even notice. I didnt have one the first time around, thought no big deal. I didnt even think about all the blood draws, surgeries etc and because they took the nodes on the right side every thing was done on the left so my veins were shot!
    I was so scared and it was a very easy pro edure for me.
    Good luck!
    Carol

Wow!

You had treatment the next day.  That's huge.

I had wondered if there would be a big deal

about healing after the port was installed with

keeping a dressing on it, etc.

See?  I am making way too big a deal out of this.

Silly me.  :)

Zah

• zahalene
    Options

numbing cream for port

Love my port. No one has mentioned the numbing cream in their responses. Be sure and get a script from your onc for the tube of numbing cream. Apply a glob of cream in the center of the port about 1 -2 hours before you expect the nurse to poke the needle into the port. Tape a small square of plastic wrap over the port to keep the cream in place so your clothes won't rub it off. I didn't feel any of my pokes, some people have described the pokes as very uncomfortable without the cream.

Great tip!

Thanks Puff,

I was wondering if the pokes would hurt much.
    Nice to know there is something I can do about it.

Zah

• zahalene
    Options

Zah, you are not alone at

Zah, you are not alone at all!  Your feelings are normal.  I am freaked out waiting on a biopsy right now and I was first diagnosed in 1987 (27 years ago).  Lol, change is scary and waiting is just as scary!

I know

I have been doing this cancer stuff since 1986

and it just doesn't get any easier.

I had tests this past August and nearly went bonkers

before the results came back.

Good luck with your biopsy.

Zah

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    YOU WILL LOVE YOUR PORT

Zahalene, I cannot believe that you have never had a port put in as long as you have been fighting this wicked beast. You do not know how wonderful you are going to enjoy having it for different reasons. You will have just a little discomfort after it is put in but nothing like having to try to find a vein to be used everytime you have to have chemo. At my cancer center where I went they used this numbing spray from a can before they stuck me. Did not feel anything. I guess all chemo places are different. I had my port put in 3 days before my first chemo treatment which I had alittle discomfort when connecting it the first time but that is the only time I had had trouble. And that is only because I had it only 3 days and it was still sore. Let me tell you something funny. You are going to love your port so much and some people even give their port a  name. Maybe you can come up with a good name for yours. Smile Let us know how you are doing and I wish for you the very best in all things.  (((HUGS)))   Pixie Dust

• zahalene
    Options

YOU WILL LOVE YOUR PORT

Zahalene, I cannot believe that you have never had a port put in as long as you have been fighting this wicked beast. You do not know how wonderful you are going to enjoy having it for different reasons. You will have just a little discomfort after it is put in but nothing like having to try to find a vein to be used everytime you have to have chemo. At my cancer center where I went they used this numbing spray from a can before they stuck me. Did not feel anything. I guess all chemo places are different. I had my port put in 3 days before my first chemo treatment which I had alittle discomfort when connecting it the first time but that is the only time I had had trouble. And that is only because I had it only 3 days and it was still sore. Let me tell you something funny. You are going to love your port so much and some people even give their port a  name. Maybe you can come up with a good name for yours. Smile Let us know how you are doing and I wish for you the very best in all things.  (((HUGS)))   Pixie Dust

Too funny Pixie! :D

I will definitely pick a name for my port.

Maybe 'Port au Princess', what u think? 

Actually I did have a subclavian tube when I

was in chemo years ago but that is a whole

different ball of wax and not fun.

There was a 3" tube that hung on the outside

of my shoulder that had to be maintained all

the time very carefully to prevent infection.

It had to be stitched to my skin and I kept

tearing it loose.  I have a 'tattoo' of scars from

where it was sewed so many times.

I mean I couldn't even shower unless it was

sealed in plastic. 

I hated it!  Except on chemo days then I loved it.

I am so happy to learn that 'modern medicine' has

come up with the port.  It sounds so much nicer.

Thanks for the support.

Zah

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    zahalene said:

Too funny Pixie! :D

I will definitely pick a name for my port.

Maybe 'Port au Princess', what u think? 

Actually I did have a subclavian tube when I

was in chemo years ago but that is a whole

different ball of wax and not fun.

There was a 3" tube that hung on the outside

of my shoulder that had to be maintained all

the time very carefully to prevent infection.

It had to be stitched to my skin and I kept

tearing it loose.  I have a 'tattoo' of scars from

where it was sewed so many times.

I mean I couldn't even shower unless it was

sealed in plastic. 

I hated it!  Except on chemo days then I loved it.

I am so happy to learn that 'modern medicine' has

come up with the port.  It sounds so much nicer.

Thanks for the support.

Zah

Hey Za....

Back in 2002 when I had my Lumpectomy and it was discovered I would have to do the Chemo, my Oncologist recommended that I get a port.  He said that if they blew a vein during chemo it would be like acid going down the inside of my arm and that was enough for me.  Mine was implanted just below my right collar bone...was about the size of a fifty cent piece and they explained to me that the tube would be threaded down into the top of my heart chamber where the chemo would hit the  blood and be pumped immediately to all the places it was supposed to go.  :)    I had no problems with the surgery for port placement...back then it was done in the Hospital and I was put to sleep....maybe today it is a little simpler?  IDK   but I do know that they used a spray freezing solution on me to keep it from hurting for each time we used it....and it is very important that they use the herceptin I think it is at the end.   I kept that port from 2002 until about 2008 and  then just wanted it out ....I had no problems with it but I just didn't want any problems either.  One wonderful thing about our bodies that I find amazing is the way they cut the artery to insert the tube (or is it a vein?) either way...they insert that tube into it and it just sealsl around it NATURALLY.....like we have some wonderful self sealing plumbing  :)  I did have to take coumidin(warfarin) to be sure my blood stayed thin ....but besides having to have it flushed at least every 30 days it was not problem at all..   Now that it is gone there is only a small indentation and not much of a scar.  I remember the terrible one my sister in law had to have back in 1985...hers was outside her skin too and very dangerous for infection...these new ones are lovely.  And if I ever need it again we will just have to find a new place for it my doc said........not too sure about what I would do at this stage.   You will love the port though  :)

• desertgirl947
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Hey Za....

Back in 2002 when I had my Lumpectomy and it was discovered I would have to do the Chemo, my Oncologist recommended that I get a port.  He said that if they blew a vein during chemo it would be like acid going down the inside of my arm and that was enough for me.  Mine was implanted just below my right collar bone...was about the size of a fifty cent piece and they explained to me that the tube would be threaded down into the top of my heart chamber where the chemo would hit the  blood and be pumped immediately to all the places it was supposed to go.  :)    I had no problems with the surgery for port placement...back then it was done in the Hospital and I was put to sleep....maybe today it is a little simpler?  IDK   but I do know that they used a spray freezing solution on me to keep it from hurting for each time we used it....and it is very important that they use the herceptin I think it is at the end.   I kept that port from 2002 until about 2008 and  then just wanted it out ....I had no problems with it but I just didn't want any problems either.  One wonderful thing about our bodies that I find amazing is the way they cut the artery to insert the tube (or is it a vein?) either way...they insert that tube into it and it just sealsl around it NATURALLY.....like we have some wonderful self sealing plumbing  :)  I did have to take coumidin(warfarin) to be sure my blood stayed thin ....but besides having to have it flushed at least every 30 days it was not problem at all..   Now that it is gone there is only a small indentation and not much of a scar.  I remember the terrible one my sister in law had to have back in 1985...hers was outside her skin too and very dangerous for infection...these new ones are lovely.  And if I ever need it again we will just have to find a new place for it my doc said........not too sure about what I would do at this stage.   You will love the port though  :)

Mine was put in at the

Mine was put in at the hospital.  I was put under for it.  Before they released me, they brought iin a potable x-ray machine to be sure it was in as it should be.   I was home well before lunch.

When they took it out they just numbed the area.  It was in a small OR at the hospital.  I was in/out quickly,  as I had not been anesthetized.

Port in - March 2012

Port out - January 2013

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Mine was put in at the

Mine was put in at the hospital.  I was put under for it.  Before they released me, they brought iin a potable x-ray machine to be sure it was in as it should be.   I was home well before lunch.

When they took it out they just numbed the area.  It was in a small OR at the hospital.  I was in/out quickly,  as I had not been anesthetized.

Port in - March 2012

Port out - January 2013

desert?

I'd be interested in knowing the size of yours....were they lots smaller by 2012?   I said it was about a 50 cent piece size but actually I think it was more like a Silver Dollar and of course a bit thicker.........I can't imagine it being taken out so quickly like that....both my implant and removal were surgical procedures and took a bit of getting over....but I did go home each night.

• desertgirl947
    Options
    GlowMore said:

desert?

I'd be interested in knowing the size of yours....were they lots smaller by 2012?   I said it was about a 50 cent piece size but actually I think it was more like a Silver Dollar and of course a bit thicker.........I can't imagine it being taken out so quickly like that....both my implant and removal were surgical procedures and took a bit of getting over....but I did go home each night.

GlowMore

The picture might not give an idea of its size, but I can say that the port area was not too obvious.  Yes, there was a slight bump, but definitely smaller than a fifty-cent piece.  Getting it out, I could feel some tugging to free it from tissue that had grown in that area.  I could hear my surgeon scraping it as he freed it, too.  

If you can't copy/paste this link, let me know.  I can try something else.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FW0dqWp3Feo/UGo8CUyhkEI/AAAAAAAAACs/hPKNdroEDRg/s1600/799px-Porta_cath.jpg

• zahalene
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Hey Za....

I am so glad....

that things have changed for the better since I had chemo.

I don't dread this whole deal nearly as much after hearing

you guys tell me what to expect from the port and all.

I am not as young as I used to be and I just don't think I

could deal with a lot of stuff I did before.

Plus, I have diabetes now and have to manage that along with

all these new changes due to the new dx.

Oh, well.  It is what it is.

Thanks for the info glo.