Ketogenic Diet - Clinical Trial Thoughts????????

Options
2»

Comments

• Beautious3358
    Beautious3358 Member Posts: 11
    Options

If anyone is interested in my keto diet menu

As mentioned before, started the Keto deit several weeks ago at the advice of my radiation oncologist. After going through the list of recommended food items in the Keto plan, and looking at just exactly what it is we are trying to achieve with the diet, this is what I put together and it seems to be working quite well:

Breakfast: (Daily) 1-Sugar free strawberry dan Active, 1/4 cup real whipping cream, 1-cup of coffee, 5-strips of bacon or 1-kielbasa or Italian sausage link, (alternated every other day) 1-scrambled egg, 1/4 cup Guerbers lil bits Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon cereal, fresh and/or frozen fruit as follows: raspberries/blackberries/strawberries/mango and pineapple chunks, and peaches. Enough to finish filling my Ninja blender to the full mark before blenderizing the ingredients into a liquified consistancy that I can push through a syringe and feed myself bolus. This is a very flavorful and nutritional breakfast that gives me much of what the Keto diet calls for.

Lunch: (daily) Ham salad, cole slaw, Guacamole, kale, 1-measure of Green Vibrance 1-hard boiled egg, 2-heaping teaspoon of mayonaise, 2-teaspoons of dill relish, squirt of brown mustard, 1-cup of coffee, 1/4 cup of real whipping cream. Again, all blenderized into a liquid form to feed bolus through my feeding tube.

Dinner: (meats very from day to day) Beef patties, pork chops or chicken cooked on the grill, pulled bar b qued pork shoulder roast cooked in the crock pot, salisbury steak, and shrimp. A variety of uncooked frozen or fresh vegetables, kale, 1-V8vegetable drink, (low sodium) sour cream, 1-cup of coffee, 1/4 cup of real whipping cream, a small amount of mixed frozen or fresh fruit, all blenderized.

Dessert: (nightly) 2-sugar free fig newtons, 2-sugar free oatmeal cookies, raspberries/blackberries/strawberries/ mango and pineapple chunks, peach slices, 1-strawbery Glucerna, 1/2 cup of real whipping cream, 1-cup of coffee, all blenderized into a two servings (two nights worthof dessert) quantity.

This menu has been working very well for me, as it not only fills me up and satisfies my hunger, it also smells and taste really good (even though I cannot eat or drink orally for the rest of my life. I would recommend this arrangement of foods even to those who can eat orally that are not trying to loose weight, as I've continued to slowly gain it while on this diet, which is part of my goal. That is to put the weight back on that I lost (from 190 lbs before my diagnosis of having cancer down to 124 lbs when I almost died from it in September 2017). The cool thing about this diet is there is a lot of room for change, and customizing it to the indivivual imop. The main goal being to get the body into the state of ketosis, and stop giving the cancer the foods it thrives on, anotherwards, starving the cancer. Which I've already seen happening in the weeks since starting my version of the Ketogenic Diet. Now if my radiation oncologist can just give me some doses of reirradiation to hopefully slow the progess of the cancer, or to contain it where it is and not allow it to get into anymore nodes or the arteries, I might have a fighing chance at a little more quality life before it finlly takes me, rather the the 6-months to 1-year prognosis for life that Moffitt has given me.

We just left the radiation

We just left the radiation oncologists office and he said the outward visible part of the mass has all but disappeared after only 16 treatments. He is not a supporter of the Keto diet, but my husband is doing it anyway. We both feel based on common sense scientific research that it is helping. I wouldn’t suggest at an early stage (he is only at stage 1 no lymph nodes involved)to just use Keto to attempt to cure but in addition to standard treatment it could possibly even allow for a shorter course of radiation which due to the side effects sure wouldn’t be a bad thing. You mention Moffit, we are located in SWFL and almost made the decision to go to Moffit for a second opinion, but obtained a second opinion locally. Please keep me updated on your journey! 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Update on my treatments

Beautious3358: I just got off the phone with my radiation oncologist's nurse. I was calling him as a follow up to an appointment I had with him a month ago. At that time we discussed Moffitt's prognosis regarding my case, in which he disagreed. He feels that I am too young and healthy to just go home and die, and that he wants to try to keep me as comfortable as possible  and extend my life as much as medicine may be capable of doing. His recommendation is to step out of the box and give me lower doses of daily radiation, five days a week, twice a day for a three week period, then rest for a week to see how my body reacts to being reradiated in these areas. I had previously received forty doses in some of the same areas back in Feb-Apr 2017. Interestingly, many rad onc's don't like to or do reradiation, and even Moffitt was hesitant to go there based upon the locations of my tumors. As for my local rad onc, of the 26,000 plus patients he has treated over the last thirty-eight years of his practice, I'm apparently only the third patient that he has agreed to reradiate himself. We aren't talking "postage stamping" of small targets, as is sometimes done to clean up areas that were missed. We're talking LARGE radiation fields of areas that have already been radiated before. Vey dangerous!

The reason I was doing a follow up call today is because my treatments haven't started yet, even though I was fitted with a new mask four weeks ago. I was told then that the mapping for my treatment should be completed in a week to ten days. Again, that was almost a month ago! So you can bet I'm getting nervous waiting to receive word of when my reradiation treatments will begin. In addition to needing to have an answer for my medical oncologist tomorrow when he ask during my appointment. Depending on the outcome of my post reradiation treatment, my medical oncologist is considering attempting some lower dosage chemotherapy treatment to also possibly extend my life somewhat, and that time still be quality life. Thank God my local doctors aren't so quick to write me off as a deadman walking as Moffitt seems to be. Nobody is trying to promise me a cure here, as my cancer has been deemed as being "incurable" by the doctors. Rather, they are just trying to extend my life as much as they possibly can.                                                                                                                                                                           

Just Had to Respond

58harley you are an inspiration to us all. You embody the saying we have on here NEGU (Never Ever Give Up). You didn't stop looking for help and hope and you found it. As you say no cure but who knows they may end up maintaining your cancer on hold but at least a very good chance of extended days and you can't put a price on that it is invaluable. I pray your days are long and your quality of life is A1-God Bless

• Beautious3358
    Beautious3358 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Update on my treatments

Beautious3358: I just got off the phone with my radiation oncologist's nurse. I was calling him as a follow up to an appointment I had with him a month ago. At that time we discussed Moffitt's prognosis regarding my case, in which he disagreed. He feels that I am too young and healthy to just go home and die, and that he wants to try to keep me as comfortable as possible  and extend my life as much as medicine may be capable of doing. His recommendation is to step out of the box and give me lower doses of daily radiation, five days a week, twice a day for a three week period, then rest for a week to see how my body reacts to being reradiated in these areas. I had previously received forty doses in some of the same areas back in Feb-Apr 2017. Interestingly, many rad onc's don't like to or do reradiation, and even Moffitt was hesitant to go there based upon the locations of my tumors. As for my local rad onc, of the 26,000 plus patients he has treated over the last thirty-eight years of his practice, I'm apparently only the third patient that he has agreed to reradiate himself. We aren't talking "postage stamping" of small targets, as is sometimes done to clean up areas that were missed. We're talking LARGE radiation fields of areas that have already been radiated before. Vey dangerous!

The reason I was doing a follow up call today is because my treatments haven't started yet, even though I was fitted with a new mask four weeks ago. I was told then that the mapping for my treatment should be completed in a week to ten days. Again, that was almost a month ago! So you can bet I'm getting nervous waiting to receive word of when my reradiation treatments will begin. In addition to needing to have an answer for my medical oncologist tomorrow when he ask during my appointment. Depending on the outcome of my post reradiation treatment, my medical oncologist is considering attempting some lower dosage chemotherapy treatment to also possibly extend my life somewhat, and that time still be quality life. Thank God my local doctors aren't so quick to write me off as a deadman walking as Moffitt seems to be. Nobody is trying to promise me a cure here, as my cancer has been deemed as being "incurable" by the doctors. Rather, they are just trying to extend my life as much as they possibly can.                                                                                                                                                                           

58Harley, I just wanted to

58Harley, I just wanted to check in to see if you had restarted yet. Please keep us posted. 

• dnelson964
    dnelson964 Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2019 #25
    Options
    absolutely great

Absolutely great for helping cancer die off in your body ! It also gives you many any anti cancer nutrients your body and immune system need to continue normal function and kill cancer cells. Like when we were much younger.

Also Important to get your blood level for Vitamin D checked. (edited by CSN staff)

• Rosebud10
    Rosebud10 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2019 #26
    Options
    Keto experience

I did Keto for 6 months to counter diabetes and it I'm in complete diabetes remission, at the same time I was getting Keytruda infusions for my sinus cancer but there was no tumor reduction. So for me keto didn't seem to help my cancer but I would still recommend trying it, there are a lot of other health benefits.

• 58HarleySportsterman
    Options

We just left the radiation

We just left the radiation oncologists office and he said the outward visible part of the mass has all but disappeared after only 16 treatments. He is not a supporter of the Keto diet, but my husband is doing it anyway. We both feel based on common sense scientific research that it is helping. I wouldn’t suggest at an early stage (he is only at stage 1 no lymph nodes involved)to just use Keto to attempt to cure but in addition to standard treatment it could possibly even allow for a shorter course of radiation which due to the side effects sure wouldn’t be a bad thing. You mention Moffit, we are located in SWFL and almost made the decision to go to Moffit for a second opinion, but obtained a second opinion locally. Please keep me updated on your journey! 

Update on my treatments

• 58HarleySportsterman
    58HarleySportsterman Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2019 #28
    Options

I don't think the ketogenic

I don't think the ketogenic diet is for the rest of your life, and all things in moderation. But it and other modalities worked for Ruben, as his PET scan 7 weeks after completion of treatment had absolutely no evidence of cancer, which is a little unusual, as it was expected that he would light up somewhere due to the radiation.

The ketogenic diet may not be for everyone, fortunately Ruben and I are both able to tolerate it. Making informed decisions is something we all need to do. 

Take care. God Bless. 

Jude

I totally agree with you,

I totally agree with you, Jude. I believe that the Ketogenic Diet Plan can either be used as a ways to a means, such as trying to loose weight when other methods have failed , or in fighting active cancer until it is gone. But what about afterwards, the what if I have other dormant cancer cells inside of me just waiting to fire at the right time? So should one go back to the old eating habits of higher carb and sugar intakes, or continue on the Keto path of not providing a food source for potentially new cancer to blossom and thrive on? I my case, I just began developing a customized weekly menu for me about 7.5 weeks ago and have been on it since April 26, 2019 When my hometown rad onc, Dr. Norman Anderson suggested I try it, since all other methods of chemical cancer treatments has failed. Two and a half years of treatments using Erbitux, Cisplatin, 5FU, and Opdivo have done nothing to shink or kill off all of the tumors I had,or prevent the new ones that have formed from developing. Yet in the 5.5 weeks leading up to the start date (6/3/19) of my current radiation treatments that I have been eating and refining my personal Ketogenic Diet Plan, my rad onc and I have noted an unbelieveable sign of shrinkage in my tumors. Then after only 9-working days (or 18-treatments) of radiation, we've seen an even greater amount of shrinkage. Early accessments point to the possibility that both the Keto Diet and radiation are having positive effects not seen on my cancer before. So if we get lucky enough to get a total kill of my current cancer, and not knowing if and how many other dormant cancer ceels may be in my body waiting to fire, For me I believe the Ketogenic Diet will be for life. Why with what I've been through over the past 2.5 years, including dying twice and coming back, why give any dormant cells a food source (traditional diet w/sugar, etc) to thrive on once they come to life? Where I'm really fortunate, being 100% dependent on a feeding tube for life, I don't have to taste some of the not so good tasting foods in the diet plan! :)

• 58HarleySportsterman
    Options
    Updating my Ketogenic Diet

Updating my Ketogenic Diet and reradiation treatment program for my persistant SCC of the neck and throat as requested by Beautious3358:

I began radiation treatments twice a day, five days a week at the Robert Boissoneault Oncology Institute on June 3RD, 2019. This is the institute founded by my radiation oncologist, Dr. Norman Anderson. He is considered the best rad onc in the area. Unlike most rad oncs, he is a strong believer in treating the patient twice a day with radiation, rather than once, which seems to have many positive effects on the patient verses the traditional once a day dosing. Today's doses put me on the threshold of the halfway point in the first round of my treatments before taking a week off to see how I have done. We continue to follow the Ketogenic Diet Plan deligently, in which Dr. Anderson is a huge advocate of in fighting different types of cancer, like mine. When none of us were truly expecting to see huge results this early on in this journey, the results to date have been astounding, even to the doctor. Now when I want to be jumping up on the rooftops and yelling the good news, I'm having to reel myself in and remain optimistically hopeful, as I don't want to be let down in the end. But I will say this much, between the two programs in my cancer "management" that I am currently on, (Keto + Radiation) based upon the quickness and scope of the signs we are seeing, we may very well be looking beyond simply controlling this aweful cancer that has taken over my life. It is late and time for bed, so I will expand upon this subject more on Friday. Thanks to those following my story and asking for updates. Ketogenics can help in some cases!

Continuation of this post:

The much awaited radiation treatments I'm currently receiving, almost did not come to fruition for me when I arrived for my very first trearment on 6/3/19. Might I note that this day was a milestone birthday for my wife, and this was how we were spending it, at the rad onc's office getting radiated rather than at Disney! First of all, I have to have my head slightly elevated when on the radiation table because I cannot be laid flat or I will aspirate and choke to death if they don't unclamp the mask and let me sit up to clear my airway. This in turn limits how high the table can be raised above the floor once the patient is in position. So we ran into serious trouble in the very first dose when the gun portion of the machine could not rotate down low enough to hit a portion of the large target area they are having to shoot. Instead, it hit the floor several degrees short of its mark on both sides of the neck. They could not raise me any higher from the floor because with my head elevated slightly, the gun was going to hit the mask as it passed over me while radiating its large traget. I was told the treatment could not be done and to go home and the doctor would be contacting me to discuss my options, which these treatments were supposed to have been my last option already. Suddenly as I was leaving the room, one of the techs (of the eight that were now in the room brainstorming) told me to, "Wait, don't go anywhere." Then she pointed to a tabletop leaning against the wall and asked the other techs, "What if we changed the tabletops to this longer one, do you think it would help?" They all stood there looking at it and discussing it until one of the senior looking techs said, "Lets try it." So they disassembled the table that was on the machine, and installed the other deck, then put the wedge assembly or my head in place before clampping my mask to it without me one the table. Then they ran the machine through each of the paces, as if it were treating me, all of the time carefully watch clearances so nothing hit anything. IT WORKED!!! But you could not have slid more than a single sheet of copy paper between the side of th gun and the floor!

So back on the table I went and the treatment began and all went fine. Thats how I've been treating ever ever since. I don't know what I would have done if I could not have been given these treatments to try and extend my life at the very least. I could not have a better radiation oncologist and treatment team than the Robert Boissoneault Oncology Institute. If things continue on the path were currently on, they just might cure me, or at least put my cancer into remission for a while!!! 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    You Are Getting Results

With the ketogenic diet and radiation combined. Seems you are also surrounded by a great medical team. You and your team are what "Never Ever Give Up' is all about. I pray they continue to reign in and get your cancer under control with this treatment combination. Your story gives hope to others-God Bless

• Soldier of Love
    Soldier of Love Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2019 #31
    Options

YES YES YES

Once Ruben was diagnosed with "C", my daughter sent me a link to the ketogenic diet and I found a book (Canton) which was a good guide. Not only did we start the diet, but we both lost an amazing amount of weight in a matter of 1-2 weeks, as well as now Ruben's cholesterol level is down from 260 to 200 (over a 4 month period), without any pharmacuticals!

I have also discovered "C" grows in an acidic environment, so you should also focus on foods that produce alkaline. Here's the link: http://rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm Also, you can buy alkaline water, albeit expensive!

Here's a link to cancer fighting foods: http://www.cancure.org/cancer_fighting_foods.htm

It's too bad this is not well known information or pushed as much as the pharmacuticals are.

Food is Medicine

Hello Ruben and Jude,

Thank you for sharing this information.  One thing you may want to verify.  Is Lentils Acidic or Alkaline?  In your report it shows on both on different sections. I'm new to the cancer world so I'm just starting to think about what foods to keep and what foods to purge.  Keep up the advocacy ..love it.q