and medical centers and I have my atlernative sites. I research and read
    many disturbing things about cancer and I want to know all about it
    wether its conventional or alternative and yes there are many, many
    misconceptions about cancer and sugar. One tells you this and the other
    tells you that. It seems its the medical industry says No and alternative
    say Yes, it depends how deep you want to dig in each industry to see who's
    pulling the wool over our eyes.
    www.cancertutor.com/

I enjoy your posts, and coments to people on here (and me).

Respectfully my friend.

God bless
    Tonsil dad,

Dan.

No Problem...
    Were good...
  • Andy.h
    Andy.h Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Good science supports the claim

There is actually very good science that supports the claim that diet can stabilize and reverse Cancer.

A very good reference is the China Study, one of the most comprehensive studies of health and nutrition ever conducted. What they found was a direct correlation to animal protein.  

another good reference is the recently released documentary, "What the Health".  All reputable MD's interviewed. You can watch it on Netflix.

• jpmsd
    jpmsd Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Andy.h said:

Good science supports the claim

There is actually very good science that supports the claim that diet can stabilize and reverse Cancer.

A very good reference is the China Study, one of the most comprehensive studies of health and nutrition ever conducted. What they found was a direct correlation to animal protein.  

another good reference is the recently released documentary, "What the Health".  All reputable MD's interviewed. You can watch it on Netflix.

"What the health" felt like

"What the health" felt like it had as much "good science" as "Is Genesis History?"

I asked my nutritionist about the animal protien claims from that show and she smiled, and said she did not believe the claims and a lot of patients have come to her asking about it. She strictly deals with cancer patients at a large academic cancer center.

Everything in moderation! Too much water can kill you too.

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Options
    jpmsd said:

"What the health" felt like

"What the health" felt like it had as much "good science" as "Is Genesis History?"

I asked my nutritionist about the animal protien claims from that show and she smiled, and said she did not believe the claims and a lot of patients have come to her asking about it. She strictly deals with cancer patients at a large academic cancer center.

Everything in moderation! Too much water can kill you too.

Agree 100%

I have not seen "What the Health", but I have vegan friends who try to say that milk causes cancer, meat causes cancer, this causes cancer, that causes cancer.  Well, in my husband's case, HPV caused cancer.  It was not meat or milk or alcohol or anything else.  A virus mutated.  I fully believe that good foods and healthy living can prevent cancer, but once it has its hold on you, you are better off seeking conventional treatment.

• Bob Watt
    Bob Watt Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Several people

'advised' me on this or that drink, herbs etc to take instead of going ahead with the treatment. All I know is that when the oncologist explained that my cancer was treatable, and the success rate was very good, I knew that I needed to act upon with what was being offered medically, rather than wait for an outcome from these alternatives that 'may' work. I'm glad I made that decision.

• Kskokko
    Kskokko Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Alternate therapies

If a therapy has validity, there would be empirical evidence to support it, and it would be adopted by mainstream medicine.   There would be good clinical evidence publsihed in peer-reviewed journals.  My therapy of surgery, cisplatin and radiation has decades of empirical evidence to support it.   As terrrible as the therapy is, it works.

The burden of proof is on the alternative medicine proponents to show the evidence.   

The dangr is that someone will forego proven medicine and opt for some unproven nonsense.  

• Andy.h
    Options

Agree 100%

I have not seen "What the Health", but I have vegan friends who try to say that milk causes cancer, meat causes cancer, this causes cancer, that causes cancer.  Well, in my husband's case, HPV caused cancer.  It was not meat or milk or alcohol or anything else.  A virus mutated.  I fully believe that good foods and healthy living can prevent cancer, but once it has its hold on you, you are better off seeking conventional treatment.

Chicklette,  interesting that you think that a healthy diet can prevent cancer, but you don't believe that diet can reverse it's hold. Admittedly, I'm just getting into this research, but the experimental trials in the China Study debunks your assertion.  It can be reversed by diet, even after it "takes hold".  Also, HPV is a virus and many people live with it their whole lives without it promoting and progressing into cancer.  I think a fair question to ask what causes that progression?

• Andy.h
    Options
    Kskokko said:

Alternate therapies

If a therapy has validity, there would be empirical evidence to support it, and it would be adopted by mainstream medicine.   There would be good clinical evidence publsihed in peer-reviewed journals.  My therapy of surgery, cisplatin and radiation has decades of empirical evidence to support it.   As terrrible as the therapy is, it works.

The burden of proof is on the alternative medicine proponents to show the evidence.   

The dangr is that someone will forego proven medicine and opt for some unproven nonsense.  

Kskokko,  I'm a scientist and I know how to discern between empirical evidence and an outragious claim.  Also, I know there is essentially no such thing as a 100% proof, only the best theories with the most supportive evidence survive.  There is good empirirical evidence to support diet's causation on cancer and there is 1000's of supportive peer-reviewed articles.  That does not mean, however, that it will be adopted by the mainstream medicine.  That is a what we call a non sequitur argument.  

• welding2
    welding2 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Totally Annoying!!

I am the caregiver for my husband.  And we are big advocates for a healthy diet.  Your diet truly affects your overall health.  HOWEVER, it is so annoying when people suggest that if you just ate something different or tried a diet, you would cure this.  After telling an acquaintance about my husband's cancer, she said "Have you tried red light therapy?"  REALLY????  He has stage 4 Head and Neck cancer, I think we are beyond red light therapy!!

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Andy.h said:

Kskokko,  I'm a scientist and I know how to discern between empirical evidence and an outragious claim.  Also, I know there is essentially no such thing as a 100% proof, only the best theories with the most supportive evidence survive.  There is good empirirical evidence to support diet's causation on cancer and there is 1000's of supportive peer-reviewed articles.  That does not mean, however, that it will be adopted by the mainstream medicine.  That is a what we call a non sequitur argument.  

My 2 cents

I agree there is some evidence that nutrition can influence cancer development. For instance colon cancer is affected by the chronic inflammation in the colon (caused by the type of diet). Or, chronic inflammation in general is an important promoter of cancer. Other examples are obesity, which also known to promote cancer (IGF is increased during diet reach in highly refined sugars, and that promotes cancer as well). This is a very ample discussion. So yes, your diet promotes or slows down cancer. HOWEVER, once you have cancer, you don’t have time to tinker with diet alteration. In addition, by the time cancer starts to metastasize there are so many mutation and changes in the cancer cells and microenvironment, that no diet in the world would change its inexorable course. I believe diet and healthy lifestyle is OK and should be carefully followed as prophylaxis and follow-up after conventional treatment. Please note that in most instances the initial mutations that triggered the cancer have nothing to do with diet. Could be caused by viruses, environment (exposure to toxins, etc), chronic inflammation for various reasons, inherited mutations, or could be just a draw of luck (mutations happen all the time in the body; these are corrected in the vast majority of situation, but … not so much in a small percentage).

• Andy.h
    Options

This one general practitioner's clinical trials shows evidence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JO88Agdag

Evidence yes, but like Dr. Kelly says, further study is needed, but unfortunately the mainstream medical community is largely opposed to it.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    edited July 2017 #33
    Options

Reminds me of a couple of things.... First, I now apparently know lots of people who think they are Google Cancer Certified Experts. I can't count the number of people that have suggested everything from hypnosis to acupuncture to some funky diet. I'm told my diet sodas, the chemical I spray my lawn with or my childhood vaccinations caused it. It's all just rubbish.

I'm in my 40's, lead a very active and healthy lifestyle, my intense life insurance physical was off the charts good -- and, with all that I still have SCC base of the tongue. It's just the cards I was dealt.

The second thing this reminded me of was the conversation my wife had when we first met my cancer team. She said, "how do we need to change his diet, do we cut out the diet drinks? Should we cut out sugar because I heard it feeds cancer? I hear he may loose up to 80 pounds, do I need to help him gain weight before treatment starts?" The team, and in particular my surgeon, just snickered. She looked me in the eye and said "You have cancer, you most likely contracted HPV in your teens and it's simply taken this long to negatively effect you. Thankfully you've taken care of yourself as good as you have because it makes the fight more bearable and the outcome more favorable. As for what you eat - nothing you put into your body or leave out at this point is going to effect the cancer in any way. As for gaining weight.... Does it make you feel uncomfortable and depressed to put on 20 or so pounds? If so, then don't do it. You want to feel as normal and as healthy going into this as possible. Keep your routine as much as you can, treat food as a numbers game because soon you probably won't find pleasure in it's taste. But most of all, keep your eye on the very long life you have ahead of you."

Better advice has yet to be given.

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2017 #34
    Options
    The bottom line?  A healthy

The bottom line?  A healthy diet can certainly do no harm.  You lose nothing by eating right.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Tonita said:

The bottom line?  A healthy

The bottom line?  A healthy diet can certainly do no harm.  You lose nothing by eating right.

But then there's always

But then there's always people looking to take 'a good diet' too far and exploit those who are desperate.... Like all the recent articles on the Tulsa, OK guy who supposedly beat his cancer with diet and coffee enemas and no chemo or radiation.

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Honey

I was told to get a specific kind of honey and smear it on my neck, Not Happening!

• jpmsd
    jpmsd Member Posts: 14
    Options
    SuzJ said:

Honey

I was told to get a specific kind of honey and smear it on my neck, Not Happening!

Was it "royal jelly"? A

Was it "royal jelly"? A concerned friend had a jar sent to me :)

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Royal Jelly is good for you,

Royal Jelly is good for you, especially if you are menopausal, taking it wont harm anything, its not going to cure, but its all sorts of goodness

• Chicklette
    Options
    Andy.h said:

Chicklette,  interesting that you think that a healthy diet can prevent cancer, but you don't believe that diet can reverse it's hold. Admittedly, I'm just getting into this research, but the experimental trials in the China Study debunks your assertion.  It can be reversed by diet, even after it "takes hold".  Also, HPV is a virus and many people live with it their whole lives without it promoting and progressing into cancer.  I think a fair question to ask what causes that progression?

There is a difference between prevention and cure

Im not going to argue with you because you obviously know you are "right".  And I'm too tired to argue.  Maybe I should rephrase... a healthy diet can HELP prevent cancer.  Tonyour HPV comment, I suppose you will say that smoking doesnt cause cancer, too, because some people smoke their whole lives and don't get cancer ...

• Chicklette
    edited July 2017 #40
    Options
    Andy.h said:

This one general practitioner's clinical trials shows evidence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JO88Agdag

Evidence yes, but like Dr. Kelly says, further study is needed, but unfortunately the mainstream medical community is largely opposed to it.

Are you going to try it?

so, are you going to try thwas alternatve therapies first and let us know how they work?  Like others have said ... if you have stage 4 cancer, you don't have time to mess around with experimental treatments.  I'm sorry, but I want my husband to be cured and conventional therapies give us the best shot.  Once the cancer is gone, we can try to help prevent its return with a healthy diet.  

• Chicklette
    edited July 2017 #41
    Options
    OKCnative said:

Reminds me of a couple of things.... First, I now apparently know lots of people who think they are Google Cancer Certified Experts. I can't count the number of people that have suggested everything from hypnosis to acupuncture to some funky diet. I'm told my diet sodas, the chemical I spray my lawn with or my childhood vaccinations caused it. It's all just rubbish.

I'm in my 40's, lead a very active and healthy lifestyle, my intense life insurance physical was off the charts good -- and, with all that I still have SCC base of the tongue. It's just the cards I was dealt.

The second thing this reminded me of was the conversation my wife had when we first met my cancer team. She said, "how do we need to change his diet, do we cut out the diet drinks? Should we cut out sugar because I heard it feeds cancer? I hear he may loose up to 80 pounds, do I need to help him gain weight before treatment starts?" The team, and in particular my surgeon, just snickered. She looked me in the eye and said "You have cancer, you most likely contracted HPV in your teens and it's simply taken this long to negatively effect you. Thankfully you've taken care of yourself as good as you have because it makes the fight more bearable and the outcome more favorable. As for what you eat - nothing you put into your body or leave out at this point is going to effect the cancer in any way. As for gaining weight.... Does it make you feel uncomfortable and depressed to put on 20 or so pounds? If so, then don't do it. You want to feel as normal and as healthy going into this as possible. Keep your routine as much as you can, treat food as a numbers game because soon you probably won't find pleasure in it's taste. But most of all, keep your eye on the very long life you have ahead of you."

Better advice has yet to be given.

OK Native

Bravo!  I like your doctor!