What do you do?

Options

Comments

• Kyle Gilmore
    Kyle Gilmore Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Alot...but mostly
    All within the music industry. Everything from being a bouncer to running a record label.lol

Its a tough way to make a living now a days...great for artists though.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Long Term Disability here,
    Long Term Disability here, too. What I have done for a living in the past, (from recent to long ago....):

Store Manager for The Shoe Dept
    General Manager for McDonalds
    Bakery (my step mom had a pastry shop)
    Banking - as a teller, then proof department, operations, and loans

That sums up my 1985-1998 working career. :)
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    I get by . . .
    with a little help from my friends, Uncle Sam, and Jerry Brown. And I take care of three websites that sell niche collectibles.

best, Hal
  • Bigfuzzydoug
    Bigfuzzydoug Member Posts: 154
    Options
    crime-fighting super-hero
    Well... That's my part-time night job.

By day I'm a boring old IT businessman. I am currently doing contract work for Wells Fargo Bank as their International IT Program/Project Manager. I spend my days (and some) nights working with people in 16 countries around the world.

Then I go home and act like a silly 10-yr-old with my kids.
  • Klynten
    Klynten Member Posts: 29
    Options

crime-fighting super-hero
    Well... That's my part-time night job.

By day I'm a boring old IT businessman. I am currently doing contract work for Wells Fargo Bank as their International IT Program/Project Manager. I spend my days (and some) nights working with people in 16 countries around the world.

Then I go home and act like a silly 10-yr-old with my kids.

RN
    Well I have been in Nursing since 2007. I am currently off work r/t treatments, but my most recent position as a nurse is being a RN Case Manager for nursing home residents who are hospice appropriate. I love this job, very rewarding. It is sad that it seems unless you have cancer or are on hospice, it is the only time pain is adequately controlled - sorry a little grip of mine.
    I have also worked as a nurse in the following;
    County Jail - fun work
    Nursing Homes - both as a staff nurse and as a Resident Care Manager dealing with medicare regulations and stuff like that.

This is a great thread, it is nice to read about all the people on here.

Clinton
  • NeoTheron91
    NeoTheron91 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Senior Systems Engineer
    I am working as a Senior Systems Engineer in the internet company responsible for maintenance, monitoring, support and new infrastructure project.(all-rounder :-))
    Started working last week after 6 months leaves for NPC treatment.

Neo
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Senior Systems Engineer
    I am working as a Senior Systems Engineer in the internet company responsible for maintenance, monitoring, support and new infrastructure project.(all-rounder :-))
    Started working last week after 6 months leaves for NPC treatment.

Neo

so you are al Gore?
    Just kidding. Feels good to return to work, doesn't it?
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Wow! Lots of vocations and
    Wow! Lots of vocations and some avocations as well. I was trying to think of how many common careers we are missing. A few that come to mind are policeman, fireman, dentist, chiropractor, mortgage broker (used to be a lot of those folks), politician (I consider that a career for some people:). No doubt there are lots more.
    John
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    jtl said:

Wow! Lots of vocations and some avocations as well. I was trying to think of how many common careers we are missing. A few that come to mind are policeman, fireman, dentist, chiropractor, mortgage broker (used to be a lot of those folks), politician (I consider that a career for some people:). No doubt there are lots more.
    John

well, I know of a policeman
    who regularly posts here. So that's one less.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    jtl said:

John

Fireman
    annnd, there is at least one fireman among us....

JG
  • Sue22
    Sue22 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Fireman
    annnd, there is at least one fireman among us....

JG

New
    Carmen is a receptionist. Now her speech is almost back to normal so that's helpful.

I am a dispatcher full time but my part time job is as a counselor in a shelter.

This was a very intereting question. Everyone wonders.

Take care, Sue
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Sue22 said:

New
    Carmen is a receptionist. Now her speech is almost back to normal so that's helpful.

I am a dispatcher full time but my part time job is as a counselor in a shelter.

This was a very intereting question. Everyone wonders.

Take care, Sue

WOW amazing backgrounds
    great question. I am amazed at the different backgrounds and what talented folks you all are. In comparison, my background is quite boring but here goes. I retired in 2009 (2 yrs before dx) after 34 years with AT&T. held many different jobs over the years including legal secretary, paralegal, office manager and then spent the last 12 years in sales. I handled mostly large corporate customers and helped them set up their customer service depts; I was the queen of the toll free number. I was blessed to be able to retire early with good benefits. However the best part of my career was that AT&T is where I met the love of my life, my husband and caregiver, Ted. How lucky I have been.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Ingrid K said:

WOW amazing backgrounds
    great question. I am amazed at the different backgrounds and what talented folks you all are. In comparison, my background is quite boring but here goes. I retired in 2009 (2 yrs before dx) after 34 years with AT&T. held many different jobs over the years including legal secretary, paralegal, office manager and then spent the last 12 years in sales. I handled mostly large corporate customers and helped them set up their customer service depts; I was the queen of the toll free number. I was blessed to be able to retire early with good benefits. However the best part of my career was that AT&T is where I met the love of my life, my husband and caregiver, Ted. How lucky I have been.

I Can Hear You Now.....
    Hugs to you and Ted....

JG
  • bigchili
    bigchili Member Posts: 8
    Options

well, I know of a policeman
    who regularly posts here. So that's one less.

cars cars cars
    i have been in the used car business for 30 years; wholesale and retail here in louisiana.
  • BrianKrashpad
    BrianKrashpad Member Posts: 188
    Options
    By day, or night?
    Well, lawyering pays the bills (mostly). I do research and consulting exclusively for other lawyers. Don't go to court. Don't directly represent clients. No suits, no ties. Low pay. ;) But no one cares that I'm in a rock band. Well, a couple rock bands.

By night (and some days, see avatar) I play guitar (and occasionally other instruments) in a couple rock bands. My main band just put out a 10-song album, it's free online and we sell CDs at shows and locally, and will be issuing it on vinyl in May.

I also play in church every Sunday.
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

I Can Hear You Now.....
    Hugs to you and Ted....

JG

Hi back
    Hi back to you and Shelley and tell her I miss her on FB.... lol.
  • shoeloy
    shoeloy Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Engineer
    Design rotating machinery for oil and gas business.
  • josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    shoeloy said:

Engineer
    Design rotating machinery for oil and gas business.

What do I do?
    I work in a winery on the Central Coast of California. I work in the tasting room and in guest services as a tour guide. Previously I was a public school teacher for 30 plus years in the Central Valley so I have continued to be a teacher but in different areas. It can become quite interesting when former parents, and even more so when former students come in for a tasting and or tour. There have been many joyous unexpected reunions that I cherish along with catching up with people who were so important in my past and now are adding to my present. Prior to becoming a teacher I had been in the food and wine industry as a cook, not chef, and manager of two restaurants so I have come full circle and I am very grateful.

As a nearly 21 year, as of November 22nd, 2012, survivior I am most grateful to my Higher Power, wife and you my fellow bother and sister surviors.

God bless, Josh r.
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    TTT

TTT
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options
    josh r. said:

What do I do?
    I work in a winery on the Central Coast of California. I work in the tasting room and in guest services as a tour guide. Previously I was a public school teacher for 30 plus years in the Central Valley so I have continued to be a teacher but in different areas. It can become quite interesting when former parents, and even more so when former students come in for a tasting and or tour. There have been many joyous unexpected reunions that I cherish along with catching up with people who were so important in my past and now are adding to my present. Prior to becoming a teacher I had been in the food and wine industry as a cook, not chef, and manager of two restaurants so I have come full circle and I am very grateful.

As a nearly 21 year, as of November 22nd, 2012, survivior I am most grateful to my Higher Power, wife and you my fellow bother and sister surviors.

God bless, Josh r.

I'm a video game designer
    Well, technically I'm more of a manager now, but I still do a lot of design work and it's how I think of myself professionally. :-)