Ascites for the 1st time ever. I gained 5 lbs. of fluid weight in 3 days. :(

Options
124»

Comments

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Ultrasound showed no safe entry point for paracentesis. :(
    I'm back from another frustrating morning at the hospital. When I went to have an ultrasound to be 'marked' for paracentesis, the radiologist doing the scan said that he didn't feel comfortable marking me, that one good entry point was too close to the bowel, and the other he was afraid the fluid would shift away during my walk from IR over to oncology. He said that they could do ultrasound-assisted paracentesis there since I wouldn't be moving that fluid around, but wouldn't advise having it done without constant ultrasound to guide the needle. & he didn't have an order for that, and I didn't have a time slot there for it, so I was sent back to Oncology without the marking. ARGH!

In oncology we did new labs (3rd set of blood labs in a week!) and they prescribed 2 types of water pills for me to try for a week, plus more potassium since the water pills will lower my already-low potassium. I sure hope the Lasix helps as I gained 7 pounds in fluids so far.

Meanwhile, Gastroenterology has scheduled an Endoscopic Ultrasound for next Thursday. Anyone ever have one of those? I was told it is fairly invasive as they go down the throat but can do biopsies and take photos, etc., so it must be a pretty big tube, and they knock you completely out for it. Gastro didn't seem too keen on removing my gall bladder; they seem to think these symptoms are beging driven by my liver mets. WHOLE lotta tests; no treatment plan. :(

Rough morning. I feel discouraged.

Oh Linda what a day!!!!!
    I can understand why you feel discouraged. I am sorry they could not find a safe entry point to have the paracentesis done. It sounds like you have gained more fluid, so you are probably feeling more discomfort.

I hope the Lasix and whatever your other water pill work for you. It certainly won't remove the fluid as quickly as a paracentesis would have. I hope you can get an ultrasound guided paracentesis.

I have not heard of an Ednoscopic Ultrasound, but it seems many others have had it done. Good luck with having it done.

I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. Hope you have something fun with the grandkids for the weekend. Although I know you will need to be close to the bathroom is your water pills work.

You remain in my prayers. In peace and caring.
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

I'm back from another frustrating morning at the hospital. When I went to have an ultrasound to be 'marked' for paracentesis, the radiologist doing the scan said that he didn't feel comfortable marking me, that one good entry point was too close to the bowel, and the other he was afraid the fluid would shift away during my walk from IR over to oncology. He said that they could do ultrasound-assisted paracentesis there since I wouldn't be moving that fluid around, but wouldn't advise having it done without constant ultrasound to guide the needle. & he didn't have an order for that, and I didn't have a time slot there for it, so I was sent back to Oncology without the marking. ARGH!

In oncology we did new labs (3rd set of blood labs in a week!) and they prescribed 2 types of water pills for me to try for a week, plus more potassium since the water pills will lower my already-low potassium. I sure hope the Lasix helps as I gained 7 pounds in fluids so far.

Meanwhile, Gastroenterology has scheduled an Endoscopic Ultrasound for next Thursday. Anyone ever have one of those? I was told it is fairly invasive as they go down the throat but can do biopsies and take photos, etc., so it must be a pretty big tube, and they knock you completely out for it. Gastro didn't seem too keen on removing my gall bladder; they seem to think these symptoms are beging driven by my liver mets. WHOLE lotta tests; no treatment plan. :(

Here's a thought or two or three
    Linda

As discouraged as you feel, I think that the doctors realize that a conservative approach is going to be the safest for you. Better to be safe, right?

I had an endoscopy done and I imagine that the endoscopic ultrasound is very similar--it's not bad at all. They knock you out to keep you comfortable.

I expect that your kidneys are healthy so the short-term diuretics shouldn't be too big of a concern. With 2 diuretics, you will need to watch out for low blood pressure and be careful standing up or getting out of bed. I would get a blood pressure monitor because if your blood pressure stays too low (< 80/50) for too long, then your kidneys are at a greater risk of being damaged.

I just read that potassium plays an important role in healing cancer--I don't understand the pathophysiology of it but I'm glad you will be getting supplemental potassium. I don't know if you were told to eat a low-sodium diet or not but I think you should consult with a dietician about what you should eat and avoid (besides avoiding alcohol).

I expect you were already told to stay away from Tylenol and ibuprofen. I don't know if you were given Percocet for pain management but that has Tylenol in it and your liver has enough to deal with without the extra burden of Tylenol (in my opinion).

If you are too miserable over the weekend, don't hestitate to go to the ER. I did. They will MAKE time for your paracentesis! I am kind of disgusted that you didn't get your belly drained already...you are too nice, Linda. ; )
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Sorry Linda
    Sorry for the complications hang in there you are one tough lady, you really should be getting a break soon ! Keep us posted and as someone else said do something fun for yourself something extravagint ( I need spellcheck ! )
    Colleen
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Oh, dear girl!
    This is the first day I've been able to "check in" and I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been going through. I hope by the time this read this that you've gotten relief from the ascities....... ((((HUGS))) Maria
  • Barneygirl
    Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
    Options

Hi Linda,
    Just thinking

Hi Linda,

Just thinking about you and hoping that you were able to get the endoscopic ultrasound last week and your doctors have a plan for you. Hopefully you are just recooperating from the procedure and all is well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

-Laura
  • the_derek
    the_derek Member Posts: 1
    Options

I know it's been a long time,

I know it's been a long time, but yours has been the closest we've found to our story. What was the end result?

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    the_derek said:

I know it's been a long time,

I know it's been a long time, but yours has been the closest we've found to our story. What was the end result?

Derek

Is it Linda's story you are referring to?  Unfortunately Linda passed away in November of 2011.  If you share exactly what your story is, others may be able to offer suggestions.  There are many women with different experiences that may be able to help you.  When you tell your story if you put it under a new post, others can find it easier than using a post from years ago.  Good luck.