Ascites for the 1st time ever. I gained 5 lbs. of fluid weight in 3 days. :(

Options

Comments

• TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    Options

Thanks, Laurie. It's more extreme discomfort than pain.
    The only pain I have is if I try and get in regular jeans or slacks intead of stretchy pants and I don't seem to have a bra I can stand. Even without a bra on, I feel like I have a tight band around the bra line and that hurts.

I forgot to add that with the Doppler Wednesday, they will also be looking to see if I might have a blood vessel blockage in or near my liver from the radioembolism that would present with similar symptoms as the blocked bile duct.

That pancreatis sounds grim! I understand that it can be extremely painful. Glad that's behind you now. ((((Laurie))))

Hoping you get some relief soon and some answers
    Keep us posted....geez we need good breaks here!! We are all so due!!

Stay strong and do whatever gives you relief !

Laurie
  • Barneygirl
    Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Thinking of you Linda. I'm
    Thinking of you Linda. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this side effect. I had ascites when I was diagnosed and was able to have it drained and oh what a relief that was. I'm hoping you can get relief from the pain and that your docs can come up with a plan of action for you very soon. You are in my prayers.

Laura
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having these
    Sorry you are having these difficult issues! You have been such a stalwart in dealing with all your treatments ... and I am sure that will continue. Your innate strength and sheer determination are such assets. Hopefully all of this will be side effects from your summer treatments and your highly competent team will be busy helping resolve the problems.
    Sending positive thoughts your way!
    Annie
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    HUGS TO YOU, LINDA
    They WILL come up with a plan for you! Though I've never had ascites, I've been here long enough to know how painful it must be, and discouraging. But, you've always been such an inspiration, Linda. And I know you've been thrown lots of curve balls in these last months. Please know that my thoughts and prayers and with you, and we'll be anxiously awaiting your words from the doc. Till then, I hope you find some relief from the pain. Minimizing pain goes a long way to give us not just physical strength, but emotional, too.

Monika
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    ((((Linda))))
    I don't know

((((Linda))))

I don't know what to say. I am mad that you have to go through this. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This utterly sucks. I hope
    This utterly sucks. I hope this gets resolved soon and with as little pain as possible. I praying for you.
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Linda....
    I had ascites when

Linda....

I had ascites when I was diagnosed. It was, in fact, what was causing the pain that sent me to the doctor in the first place. I thought it was my gallbladder, because the pain was right under my sternum. Before my surgery, they drained 2+ liters of fluid from my abdomen. By the time they opened me up, it had all come back, plus more.

I had no ascites until this past week, when my latest CT scan showed a "small amount" of ascites in my abdomen. Like you, I am a bit freaked out and would like to see if my gyn/onc will consider taking a sample and testing it for malignancy.

I sure hope they get to the bottom of this, and soon. Ascites is not a sign that the end is near. At least I hope not!

Carlene

At the risk of repeating
    At the risk of repeating myself this utterly sucks. I hoped you would get back and there would be nothing to worry about. Praying, for all of you.
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

This utterly sucks. I hope
    This utterly sucks. I hope this gets resolved soon and with as little pain as possible. I praying for you.

Me too Linda
    I hope this gets resolved soon too. I had acites before my surgery but none since. I remember how uncomforable I was. I could barely bend over or get up from a chair. Praying very hard for you because I want you to get well. Enough is enough!!!!!!! ..val
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Linda,
    I'm so sorry to read this! I'm praying for a resolution very soon.
    love and hugs,
    kathleen
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    kayandok said:

Linda,
    I'm so sorry to read this! I'm praying for a resolution very soon.
    love and hugs,
    kathleen

AN UPDATE: as Carlene says "It's not always about cancer". ;)
    Thanks for all your good wishes & prayers; I really was thinking that I might be entering an ugly phase of this cancer journey that I might not survive. I just came from my Ultrasound. The GOOD news is that all of the arteries and blood vessels, etc. in my liver are open and so the problems I'm having aren't being caused by a blood clot. & the technician doing the sonogram showed me the images that prove that the bile duct is NOT obstructed after all, and is not being pressed on by a tumor or by anything. Instead, he says the bile is blocking up in my Gall Bladder, not gall stones, just a non-functioning gall bladder. AND, he said, that this may be UNRELATED to my cancer! (Carlene is so smart! She's often said "don't always assume every medical issue is related to your cancer".) It may end up being as simple as having my gall bladder out. I hope the technician was right. I need to wait for my new gastroenterologist and my oncologist to compare these new images to the CT/PET scan I had 10/03. But it looks like we're getting closer to having a treatment plan, which apparently is a process of elimination of a number of things it COULD be. Meanwhile the ascites and jaundice seem no worse. I'm uncomfortable, but nothing I can't handle without pain pills, and I went to that party yesterday and ate a LOT and had a fabulous time. I know my oncologist wants to see me before the week is out. Anyhoooo, just knowing that this is 'fix-able' has made me feel 1000% better!
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

Thanks for all your good wishes & prayers; I really was thinking that I might be entering an ugly phase of this cancer journey that I might not survive. I just came from my Ultrasound. The GOOD news is that all of the arteries and blood vessels, etc. in my liver are open and so the problems I'm having aren't being caused by a blood clot. & the technician doing the sonogram showed me the images that prove that the bile duct is NOT obstructed after all, and is not being pressed on by a tumor or by anything. Instead, he says the bile is blocking up in my Gall Bladder, not gall stones, just a non-functioning gall bladder. AND, he said, that this may be UNRELATED to my cancer! (Carlene is so smart! She's often said "don't always assume every medical issue is related to your cancer".) It may end up being as simple as having my gall bladder out. I hope the technician was right. I need to wait for my new gastroenterologist and my oncologist to compare these new images to the CT/PET scan I had 10/03. But it looks like we're getting closer to having a treatment plan, which apparently is a process of elimination of a number of things it COULD be. Meanwhile the ascites and jaundice seem no worse. I'm uncomfortable, but nothing I can't handle without pain pills, and I went to that party yesterday and ate a LOT and had a fabulous time. I know my oncologist wants to see me before the week is out. Anyhoooo, just knowing that this is 'fix-able' has made me feel 1000% better!

Ha! I should follow my own
    Ha! I should follow my own advice! I still imagine the worst, every single time.

Your story is sounding more and more like my son's, Linda. He was jaundiced, bloated, in pain, etc and finally consented to let his wife drive him to the ER. His bile duct was full of "sludge" and though he did have gallstones, the bile duct issue was a bigger concern. They actually tested him first for Hep C because gallstones are common, but I guess the bile duct thing isn't.

They dealt surgically with the bile duct first - cleaned it out and put in a stent - then a couple of days later took him back to the OR to remove his gallbladder. The stent has to come out in a few months.

On the one hand, more surgery is not something to look forward to, but at least it's not Cancer. Anything is better than Cancer.

Carlene
  • AN UPDATE: as Carlene says "It's not always about cancer". ;)

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options

Linda:
    I am happy for you

Linda:

I am happy for you that this latest problem is unrelated to cancer. That alone must have been a real high for you! I hope your uncomfortableness soon goes away and you are going out enjoying more parties and spending time with the grandkids.

Kathy
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

This is Great News!!
    So glad it sounds like something very manageable and NOTHING to do with cancer.
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Options
    Linda
    Glad to hear you've got some good news.. no blood clots, and that you are closer to having a plan in place. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Hugs,
    Cindy
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Linda
    Glad to hear you've got some good news.. no blood clots, and that you are closer to having a plan in place. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

This sounds good--surgeons
    This sounds good--surgeons are removing gall bladders all the time. Maybe your docs can team up and yank out some of those persistent malignant lesions while you are under anesthetic. That would be a nice silver lining for you!

Next you'll get a free membership to the club of people with no gall bladders--mine has been gone since 1989 so let me be the first to welcome you!
    Some people have no problem tolerating fats/oils afterwards; I had to adjust my diet accordingly. I just wish the doctor would have warned me in advance about the possibility of bowel urgency--ugh! Be careful what you eat initially, especially when you are traveling.
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Options

YipppEEEE!
    I was so very worried about you, Linda. Glad you posted an update. I am sorry to hear that you may need surgery. However, it is such a relief to know that it is not dire.
  • cfont11
    cfont11 Member Posts: 115
    Options

Good news
    Linda,

I am so sorry you are going through all of this but it sounds like there is some good news here. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope the docs can figure out a good plan for you. You are strong, don't give up!

Chris
  • Bluebird Bush
    Bluebird Bush Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Your new post today
    Linda, thanks for letting us know the great news. I am so glad for you if having your gallbladder out will fix this problem. I had to have my gallbladder out last year because of stones. After surgery I had to follow the "gallbladder diet" they give you for about a month because I kept "having gallbladder attacks" after it was gone; but after about a month I was back to eating just like before the problem started. I hope you have the same luck I had in that department.

Please keep us posted - we all care about you. Geni
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Linda hope the removal of the Gallbladder will fix all
    Sorry to hear you have had problems with jaundice and now ascites. Neither are comfortable and both are worriesome. So glad to hear that the outlook is so much better today. You are such a trooper and an inspiration to me. I hope your platelets are up enough that you can have the surgery.

Glad you can still enjoy a party and have a good time. You have been through so much and continue to fight each day. You remain in my thoughts and prayers. In peace and caring.