Ascites for the 1st time ever. I gained 5 lbs. of fluid weight in 3 days. :(

Options

Comments

• jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options

AN UPDATE: as Carlene says "It's not always about cancer". ;)
    Thanks for all your good wishes & prayers; I really was thinking that I might be entering an ugly phase of this cancer journey that I might not survive. I just came from my Ultrasound. The GOOD news is that all of the arteries and blood vessels, etc. in my liver are open and so the problems I'm having aren't being caused by a blood clot. & the technician doing the sonogram showed me the images that prove that the bile duct is NOT obstructed after all, and is not being pressed on by a tumor or by anything. Instead, he says the bile is blocking up in my Gall Bladder, not gall stones, just a non-functioning gall bladder. AND, he said, that this may be UNRELATED to my cancer! (Carlene is so smart! She's often said "don't always assume every medical issue is related to your cancer".) It may end up being as simple as having my gall bladder out. I hope the technician was right. I need to wait for my new gastroenterologist and my oncologist to compare these new images to the CT/PET scan I had 10/03. But it looks like we're getting closer to having a treatment plan, which apparently is a process of elimination of a number of things it COULD be. Meanwhile the ascites and jaundice seem no worse. I'm uncomfortable, but nothing I can't handle without pain pills, and I went to that party yesterday and ate a LOT and had a fabulous time. I know my oncologist wants to see me before the week is out. Anyhoooo, just knowing that this is 'fix-able' has made me feel 1000% better!

I am sooo happy to hear
    I am sooo happy to hear this. Carlene is always right by saying it's not always related to cancer. But it is so easy to just think the worst. We all do it. I am so happy for you. Because it's not cancer related it makes surgery seem fine, it's amazing how our standards have changed.
  • Bluebird Bush
    Bluebird Bush Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Gallbladder Surgery
    Linda, this is just a thought ----
    I had my gallbladder surgery through robotic - like the DeVinci and this could be a real opportunity for the surgeon to have an in depth look all around in there. I don't know if he would, but you could ask him to video the whole procedure and look around so that you yourself could see inside there (if you want to) but also to share with your other doctors. You could even ask him to let your onc docs have their own look around while he is in there. There again, I don't know ------ guess I just know it never hurts to ask.

I am still hoping that GB surgery will fix this newest problem for you. Hope you have as good a day as is possible under the circumstances. Geni
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

Gallbladder Surgery
    Linda, this is just a thought ----
    I had my gallbladder surgery through robotic - like the DeVinci and this could be a real opportunity for the surgeon to have an in depth look all around in there. I don't know if he would, but you could ask him to video the whole procedure and look around so that you yourself could see inside there (if you want to) but also to share with your other doctors. You could even ask him to let your onc docs have their own look around while he is in there. There again, I don't know ------ guess I just know it never hurts to ask.

I am still hoping that GB surgery will fix this newest problem for you. Hope you have as good a day as is possible under the circumstances. Geni

I did something similar.
    I did something similar. When I had my hernia repaired in Aug, I asked my gyn/onc if we could schedule it for a time when he could also take a look, and he agreed.

Although doctors are reluctant to open you up anymore for a second look surgery, they are often willing to take advantage of other opportunities - like gallbladder removal or hernia repair - to eyeball your insides.

Like BBB said, it couldn't hurt to ask.

Carlene
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options

I did something similar.
    I did something similar. When I had my hernia repaired in Aug, I asked my gyn/onc if we could schedule it for a time when he could also take a look, and he agreed.

Although doctors are reluctant to open you up anymore for a second look surgery, they are often willing to take advantage of other opportunities - like gallbladder removal or hernia repair - to eyeball your insides.

Like BBB said, it couldn't hurt to ask.

Carlene

I'm getting paracentesis tomorrow morning to relieve ascites.
    I sent an email to my oncologist this morning that I looked 6 months pregnant and was VERY uncomfortable. And they just called with an 8AM appointment for another ultrasound to "mark me" for the paracentesis; labs yet agin at 9:15; and the paracentesis at 10 AM. I've never had this done before but am so uncomfortable that I don't care if they go in there with a RotoRooter as long as they relieve some of this pressure. I know that they plan to test the removed fluid for a bunch of stuff, and hopefully that will help them come up with a firm diagnosis and treatment plan for me. I'm hoping that nothing changes & that it is my gall bladder that simply needs removed. If so, I'll definitely see if they will yank any malignant lymoh nodes nearby while theyre in there and also do some 2nd-look camera shots. Thanks for that idea!

I am frustrated by the slow pace of getting a treatment plan, but as long as my symptoms are stable, I guess I need to be patient. Each department seems to have called in outside opinions that they want to factor in. & I sure am being closely monitored, with blood labs drawn Friday, Monday, and now tomorrow, and lots of diagnostic scans and images to compare. Glad I have good insurance!

Any words of experience or advice (or comfort!) on the paracentesis??
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options

I sent an email to my oncologist this morning that I looked 6 months pregnant and was VERY uncomfortable. And they just called with an 8AM appointment for another ultrasound to "mark me" for the paracentesis; labs yet agin at 9:15; and the paracentesis at 10 AM. I've never had this done before but am so uncomfortable that I don't care if they go in there with a RotoRooter as long as they relieve some of this pressure. I know that they plan to test the removed fluid for a bunch of stuff, and hopefully that will help them come up with a firm diagnosis and treatment plan for me. I'm hoping that nothing changes & that it is my gall bladder that simply needs removed. If so, I'll definitely see if they will yank any malignant lymoh nodes nearby while theyre in there and also do some 2nd-look camera shots. Thanks for that idea!

I am frustrated by the slow pace of getting a treatment plan, but as long as my symptoms are stable, I guess I need to be patient. Each department seems to have called in outside opinions that they want to factor in. & I sure am being closely monitored, with blood labs drawn Friday, Monday, and now tomorrow, and lots of diagnostic scans and images to compare. Glad I have good insurance!

Linda,
    I have no words of wisdom on the paracentesis, but just jumping on to say that you are amazing and are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this is a gall bladder issue, and you will get some other benefits from all of this. You go girl!!!
    Hugs and prayers,
    Kathleen
  • dreamer007
    dreamer007 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    kayandok said:

Linda,
    I have no words of wisdom on the paracentesis, but just jumping on to say that you are amazing and are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this is a gall bladder issue, and you will get some other benefits from all of this. You go girl!!!
    Hugs and prayers,
    Kathleen

ascites
    Linda,

you are in my thoughts and prayers...hope you get some answers very soon, and
    some relief from the discomfort
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Linda good luck tomorrow
    The paracentesis should relieve your discomfort when they remove the fluid. I have not had one done myself but have helped with many of them. They will numb your abdomen, and then insert a needle to remove the fluid. That should relieve the pressure you are feeling. I know it is scary to under go a new procedure. I'll keep you in my prayers for peace and comfort. Glad you are being closely monitored.
    In peace and caring.
  • Robkel7
    Robkel7 Member Posts: 68
    Options

Sweet Relief....
    I had to go through this post surgery as the fluid built up quickly , although I had none prior....was weird, but in any event, I had immediate relief and the fluid had no cancer cells in it. I pray the same for you. Thanks for your posts and I think of you each day.
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Paracentesis
    So happy your news is good, I had paracentesis done after my initial surgery and it was not bad at all, I hope it is the same for you !
    Acsities can happen at any time so you can't read anything into that, you are a tough lady and it sounds like they are taking good care of you.
    Colleen
  • sarahb74
    sarahb74 Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I've had paracentesis done
    several times and it's such a relief when the fluid is taken off. They give you something to numb the bit where the needle goes in so you will probably feel a bit of tugging but no pain. I'm sure you'll feel a million times better when it's over
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    sarahb74 said:

I've had paracentesis done
    several times and it's such a relief when the fluid is taken off. They give you something to numb the bit where the needle goes in so you will probably feel a bit of tugging but no pain. I'm sure you'll feel a million times better when it's over

Ultrasound showed no safe entry point for paracentesis. :(
    I'm back from another frustrating morning at the hospital. When I went to have an ultrasound to be 'marked' for paracentesis, the radiologist doing the scan said that he didn't feel comfortable marking me, that one good entry point was too close to the bowel, and the other he was afraid the fluid would shift away during my walk from IR over to oncology. He said that they could do ultrasound-assisted paracentesis there since I wouldn't be moving that fluid around, but wouldn't advise having it done without constant ultrasound to guide the needle. & he didn't have an order for that, and I didn't have a time slot there for it, so I was sent back to Oncology without the marking. ARGH!

In oncology we did new labs (3rd set of blood labs in a week!) and they prescribed 2 types of water pills for me to try for a week, plus more potassium since the water pills will lower my already-low potassium. I sure hope the Lasix helps as I gained 7 pounds in fluids so far.

Meanwhile, Gastroenterology has scheduled an Endoscopic Ultrasound for next Thursday. Anyone ever have one of those? I was told it is fairly invasive as they go down the throat but can do biopsies and take photos, etc., so it must be a pretty big tube, and they knock you completely out for it. Gastro didn't seem too keen on removing my gall bladder; they seem to think these symptoms are beging driven by my liver mets. WHOLE lotta tests; no treatment plan. :(

Rough morning. I feel discouraged.
  • antcat
    antcat Member Posts: 270
    Options

I'm back from another frustrating morning at the hospital. When I went to have an ultrasound to be 'marked' for paracentesis, the radiologist doing the scan said that he didn't feel comfortable marking me, that one good entry point was too close to the bowel, and the other he was afraid the fluid would shift away during my walk from IR over to oncology. He said that they could do ultrasound-assisted paracentesis there since I wouldn't be moving that fluid around, but wouldn't advise having it done without constant ultrasound to guide the needle. & he didn't have an order for that, and I didn't have a time slot there for it, so I was sent back to Oncology without the marking. ARGH!

In oncology we did new labs (3rd set of blood labs in a week!) and they prescribed 2 types of water pills for me to try for a week, plus more potassium since the water pills will lower my already-low potassium. I sure hope the Lasix helps as I gained 7 pounds in fluids so far.

Meanwhile, Gastroenterology has scheduled an Endoscopic Ultrasound for next Thursday. Anyone ever have one of those? I was told it is fairly invasive as they go down the throat but can do biopsies and take photos, etc., so it must be a pretty big tube, and they knock you completely out for it. Gastro didn't seem too keen on removing my gall bladder; they seem to think these symptoms are beging driven by my liver mets. WHOLE lotta tests; no treatment plan. :(

Dear Linda
    I'm sorry to hear what you are going through and I know it's easy to say don't feel discouraged, but I know what you're feeling. Right now, I'm pretty discouraged myself. I've had so many chemos for a year and nothing has really worked that well. I'm going to a new oncologist and going to do the BRCA testing. I have never gone thru the parcentesis so I'm not even sure what that entails. I know you're going through alot. On top of everything else with me, I have an infection with my port, which was caused by the way the chemo nurses accessed the port, so now need to get it taken out. Please try to hang in there, I know it's easy to say that but I wish you well.

Take care.
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    antcat said:

Dear Linda
    I'm sorry to hear what you are going through and I know it's easy to say don't feel discouraged, but I know what you're feeling. Right now, I'm pretty discouraged myself. I've had so many chemos for a year and nothing has really worked that well. I'm going to a new oncologist and going to do the BRCA testing. I have never gone thru the parcentesis so I'm not even sure what that entails. I know you're going through alot. On top of everything else with me, I have an infection with my port, which was caused by the way the chemo nurses accessed the port, so now need to get it taken out. Please try to hang in there, I know it's easy to say that but I wish you well.

Take care.

So sorry for you, LInda
    It's hard to read your post - I can feel your frustration and wish I could give you a (((HUG)))). I hope the water pills give you some relief until you have the endoscopy and then come up with a plan.

(((HUGS & PRAYERS)))) Linda. Mary Ann
  • sarahb74
    Options

I'm sorry you're having
    so many problems. Hopefully they'll be able to fix you up for an ultrasound assisted parecentesis. I had that done just once and it was so much easier. It was done in theater and everything shows on a screen so they can see exactly where they are putting the needle. Quite reassuring.

My husband had an endoscopic ultrasound done just a few months ago. He was a bit groggy afterwards and I had to drive him home but otherwise he was fine. I think the actual procedure only took an hour or so in his case.
  • sarahb74
    Options

I'm sorry you're having
    oops

double post!
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    Options

Discouraged
    You certainly are in this spiral of two steps forward, three back....geez

I am happy they are on the path of treating you, but I can imagine the frustration you are feeling.

Next Thursday is a long way's off....can you request an earlier appointment? You should not be in that type of discomfort...

I was scheduled to have that endoscopic u/s before my Gall Bladder Surgery, but luckily the Gall Stone moved back into the bladder and they cancelled it.

Sending thoughts and prayers your way...Laurie
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Options
    I'm sorry Linda
    I am getting tired /frustrated just reading your post, I cannot imagine how frustrated you are. Please hang in there. Hoping that the pills bring some relief and that a new plan is in place for you soon.
    Big Hugs,
    Cindy
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options

Sorry Linda for your
    Sorry Linda for your discouraging day today. I hope you get some relief from the meds. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

Linda...I had my
    Linda...I had my paracentesis done under guided ultrasound and it was a piece of cake. The only way to go, in my opinion.

I don't like the idea AT ALL of someone marking a spot and someone else sticking a loooong needle in the middle of the big X. I want the tech to be able to SEE what he's doing.

My Mother-in-law had an endoscopic ultrasound in her late 80's. It must not have been too bad. We took her out to eat lunch right after they released her.

Are they going to test the fluid, when they do finally drain it?

Carlene
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Endoscopic Ultrasound
    I had that done in June of this year just before they found my cancer. They gave me so medication and said how are you feeling now. I remember saying something like I really like this medication I feel really good. Then I remember them waking me up and saying it was done. I did have a little bit of a sore throut but nothing big. I wish I could say the same thing about having my lungs drain just an hour after the endoscopic ultrasound. Having my lungs drained not only hurt but your lung colaspe and then reinflates it sent me into a panic attack which made it even harder to breath. The kept saying take a slow deap breath but I felt like I couldn't even catch a breath. I ended up having each lung drained two times each and my stomach one time. I had two liter off my right lung (1 liter each time) just under two liters taken off my left lung ( 1 liter each time) and a liter and a half off my stomach. The fluid taken off my stomach was during surgery so I don't remember that one. I do remember they left a bag for about four days after surgery and the nurse pulled it two times which hurt like hell. I am so glad that is over I am always worried that when I start coughing that my lungs are filling back up and I don't want that to happen again.

Anne