My hisband was just diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue

taunya
taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
He says he isn't extremely upset, but I am. I had colo-rectal cancer 9 years ago. This is scary. Any words of advice? He hasn't had the CAT scan yet. It will be scheduled today. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Taunya

Sorry to hear that your husband has this but don’t let it scare you. There are a lot of survivors here with the same cancer and doing very well. Will keep you both in prayer today as he does his CAT scan they may want to also do a PET scan later to see if it is just localize on just his tongue.

PS: Welcome to our family here on CSN.
    Hondo
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Welcome
    Hi Taunya, Sorry to hear about your husband. I was diagnosed with base of tongue SCC stage 4 last year in May. My treatment was a combination of rads and chemo. One year out of treatment and doing fine.

Certainly it is a scary and overwhelming time, but it can be beaten. Stay strong. There are many good people on this site who will provide the benefit of their experience. Take notes during your visits with the MD's. Sometimes it is difficult to remember everything that is said during the consultations. Hope you have a relatively smooth ride during treatment and come out stronger on the other side. Cheers.

Jimbo
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Welcome
    Welcome to the dreaded double post.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Welcome
    To our little niche in the big scheme.... a lot of good people here, tons of experience and history to share as well.

Did they do a biopsy, I mean have they actually done anything confirming that he does actually have SCC. I was just curious as they haven't performed a CT as of yet.

That was something they did upfront on me. The ENT did diagnose me as being 90% sure I did have SCC and ordered a CT. But it wasn't confirmed STGIII SCC (HPV+) until he took my tonsils out and did the biopsy.

I'm sure the gravity hasn't hit home with your husband yet or he's just trying to lessen the worry on you.

It's a life changing experience as you already know from your own ordeal. He's lucky to have you and the history that you already have experienced.

Thoughts and Prayers,
    John
  • sfuzzy
    sfuzzy Member Posts: 1
    Squamous cell tongue cancer
    My husband was diagnosed with squamous cell base of tongue cancer stage 2 at the end of June 2011. He has been going through radiation (35 treatments) and chemo (once a week for 7 weeks) now since july 7th. He lost so much weight that after 3 weeks they put a feeding tube in him. He lost weight though because of the chemo. It made food taste to bad, and he wouldn't or couldn't eat. After the surgery for the feeding tube, I noticed his tempature was going up (this was the same day of surgery), I took him to the er, and they kept him in the hospital for 7 days. Hes been home now for 8 days, and doing much better. It's extremly important to get food down you, for the cancer and the chemo use up so many calories. He needs 2600 calories a day just to maintain his weight. And 100g of protein a day. He seems to be doing much better now, he has 8 more radiation treatments and 1 more chemo! The feeding tube, they tell me will probably be in him at least another month, maybe 2! He was a slim man to begin with, so if anybody is going thru this don't hesitate to get the feeding tube. I hear in some cases they put the tube in before your treatment even starts. I don't know yet if he is going to be cured, but I have faith! This has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through, I cry everyday! But there is alot of people that are cured of this very same cancer, so he will be too! If I can help anybody out there just let me know. I do want to add that my husband had a sore throat for 5 years and went to many differnt doctors! They all said it was alleries and would give him nasal sprays etc. Don't give up if you know the doctor didn't look hard enough or in your gut you know its more then what they are saying. Doctors are only human and they call it a practice because they are all practicing! They make mistakes. We still have to trust them and have faith in them. God bless
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Welcome (Back) Taunya
    Looks like you signed up when you had your round with cancer - congrats on your survivorship - my dad's a long-term colon cancer survivor.

It IS scary. Dunno if hubby is in denial, or is trying to be strong for you, or if he just has it all together, and is not feeling the strain. Hope he's not too stressed because he is confident he'll do well.

You know the advice I have - Water water water CSN meds food food exercise water CSN. I was diagnosed with Stage IV SCC Base of tongue with two lymph nodes involved in October, 2009. I had open biopsies with a tonsillectomy, induction chemo, chemo rads, then a modified radical neck dissection. I got my first "clean" scans this April.

Some folks go through treatment fairly smoothly (not fun, but uncomfortable) - hope your hubby's one. If not, I'm a big fan of contacting the docs so they can help with any reactions or side effects. Lots of helpful folks here, Taunya - come in often. Do well.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    sfuzzy said:

Squamous cell tongue cancer
    My husband was diagnosed with squamous cell base of tongue cancer stage 2 at the end of June 2011. He has been going through radiation (35 treatments) and chemo (once a week for 7 weeks) now since july 7th. He lost so much weight that after 3 weeks they put a feeding tube in him. He lost weight though because of the chemo. It made food taste to bad, and he wouldn't or couldn't eat. After the surgery for the feeding tube, I noticed his tempature was going up (this was the same day of surgery), I took him to the er, and they kept him in the hospital for 7 days. Hes been home now for 8 days, and doing much better. It's extremly important to get food down you, for the cancer and the chemo use up so many calories. He needs 2600 calories a day just to maintain his weight. And 100g of protein a day. He seems to be doing much better now, he has 8 more radiation treatments and 1 more chemo! The feeding tube, they tell me will probably be in him at least another month, maybe 2! He was a slim man to begin with, so if anybody is going thru this don't hesitate to get the feeding tube. I hear in some cases they put the tube in before your treatment even starts. I don't know yet if he is going to be cured, but I have faith! This has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through, I cry everyday! But there is alot of people that are cured of this very same cancer, so he will be too! If I can help anybody out there just let me know. I do want to add that my husband had a sore throat for 5 years and went to many differnt doctors! They all said it was alleries and would give him nasal sprays etc. Don't give up if you know the doctor didn't look hard enough or in your gut you know its more then what they are saying. Doctors are only human and they call it a practice because they are all practicing! They make mistakes. We still have to trust them and have faith in them. God bless

Hello, sfuzzy
    Welcome. Sounds like your husband's doing well (considering) so far. Hope it keeps up. It's great of you to be wanting to help others at a time when you have a lot on your plate.
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    My husband is 2 weeks out
    My husband is 2 weeks out from stage 4 Base of tongue treatment. He had a couple of rough patches but as they say, everyone is different. He was hospitalized twice, once for dehydration and once for an infection in the parotid gland [probably spelled wrong]. All in all he did better than some. The best recommendation I can give is, water, water, water. Some have made it without the PEG but I recommended having a PEG before treatment as youe immune system gets compromised and the healing is slowed.
    Also you are miserable from the treatment then you are adding more discomfort to your pain if you wiat. Jim lost 6 lbs in one day because he couldn't even take the tube feeding due to neausea for a day. We were able to get his weight back up but it took two weeks. Two weeks out of treatment he still can't eat, not pain but taste, so he is still using the tube.
    Last tip: Take care of yourself. You are no good to hubby if you are worn out. I slept when he did and had lunch and shopping with my sister occationally to distract me.

Will keep you in prayer
    Debbie
  • nwasen
    nwasen Member Posts: 235 Member
    Tongue cancer
    My best advice is get to where they see this type of cancer on a regular basis. I went for treatment 80 miles away. Stage 4 with 3 lymph nodes. Turned down the surgery and had 35 radiation and 7 chemos. Was misdiagnosed for months by my GP. Went to an ENT who found it immediately. Listen to your body as docs do make mistakes. I had even told my doc that I was afraid I had a tumor and she never checked it out.
    My last treatment was in Dec and so far so good. I eat pretty much anything I want. No more dry mouth or stringy saliva. I am one of the lucky ones. I had two months of therapy with throat issues and two stretches. I credit them with being able to ditch the PEG tube ( I lost over 30 pounds in 3 weeks.Went from 134 to 102 in that short time). I then went to 96 pounds but happy to say am back up to 101 now and feel STRONG!
    We all are here to help and hope all goes well for your husband. It won't be easy but it can be beat.
    Good vibes
    Peace, Nancy aka toughcookie
  • buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    New diagnosis
    My husband, Buzz, was diagnosed with Stage IV base of tongue Cancer 1 year ago and he is doing fine. Radiation and Chemo were extremly tough but we made it and so will you. We are here to help you along the way. Regards, Karen
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    buzz99 said:

New diagnosis
    My husband, Buzz, was diagnosed with Stage IV base of tongue Cancer 1 year ago and he is doing fine. Radiation and Chemo were extremly tough but we made it and so will you. We are here to help you along the way. Regards, Karen

Thank you all so much
    I am overwhelmed by your kindness. He had the CT scan and it showed a "larger mass" than the doc anticipated and some swollen lymph nodes. Doc says it may still be an early stage. Husband says he feels positive. I am still scared. He has an appt. next Tuesday at Dana Farber in Boston. I have a hard time sleeping. Your stories helped a lot. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.
  • Hondo
    Pam M said:

Hello, sfuzzy
    Welcome. Sounds like your husband's doing well (considering) so far. Hope it keeps up. It's great of you to be wanting to help others at a time when you have a lot on your plate.

Hi sfuzzy

Same here Welcome to the family here on CSN

Hondo
  • Wife of Joe
    Wife of Joe Member Posts: 1
    My husbands too
    Taunya,

My husband also had squamous cell carcinoma of the base of the tongue, diagnosed 04/2010. He went through 7.5 weeks of chemo and radiation. It has been a very long, hard road. The doctors say it is a bad, bad treatment. That is being gentle. But it is worth it, no matter what the fight. My husband has had 4 PET scans and all came back IN REMISSION. We will be getting another PET scan in October. Prayers do work. Something that I want to tell you that one of the nurses at the cancer center told me. Be very careful because every fluid that leaves your husband is very toxic due to the treatments. If he gets sick, use rubber gloves when cleaning it up. Close the lid of the stool when flushing. Flush twice. Later, much later, when I had time to look through the stacks of books they gave us, I read the same information. Who has time to read that stack of books when you need the information!

My prayers are with you!
  • lauralou55
    lauralou55 Member Posts: 12
    My Dad was just diagnosed with stage 2 base of the tongue squamous cancer when they found a tumor in his right neck. The original tumour in the very back of his tongue was draining into the lymph nodes in his neck. He has 35 radiation treatments to complete and has completed 9 - 25 to go. So far so good he is just getting sore in his mouth and throat. But he is 77 and I am 55 and I still have trouble keeping up with him!

The cat scan is important. Before my Dad had the cat scan I was afraid his cancer was stage 4 and it turned out to only be stage 2!

Hang in there! Let us know what happens!

Leora
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537

My Dad was just diagnosed with stage 2 base of the tongue squamous cancer when they found a tumor in his right neck. The original tumour in the very back of his tongue was draining into the lymph nodes in his neck. He has 35 radiation treatments to complete and has completed 9 - 25 to go. So far so good he is just getting sore in his mouth and throat. But he is 77 and I am 55 and I still have trouble keeping up with him!

The cat scan is important. Before my Dad had the cat scan I was afraid his cancer was stage 4 and it turned out to only be stage 2!

Hang in there! Let us know what happens!

Leora

Welcome to the board. Sorry
    Welcome to the board. Sorry about the circumstances. You will find soma amazing people on this borad willing to help, pray,laugh or cry with you.
  • Skiffin16

My husbands too
    Taunya,

My husband also had squamous cell carcinoma of the base of the tongue, diagnosed 04/2010. He went through 7.5 weeks of chemo and radiation. It has been a very long, hard road. The doctors say it is a bad, bad treatment. That is being gentle. But it is worth it, no matter what the fight. My husband has had 4 PET scans and all came back IN REMISSION. We will be getting another PET scan in October. Prayers do work. Something that I want to tell you that one of the nurses at the cancer center told me. Be very careful because every fluid that leaves your husband is very toxic due to the treatments. If he gets sick, use rubber gloves when cleaning it up. Close the lid of the stool when flushing. Flush twice. Later, much later, when I had time to look through the stacks of books they gave us, I read the same information. Who has time to read that stack of books when you need the information!

My prayers are with you!

Five PET Scans
    Five PET scans in six months, that has got to be a record.....

Welcome to the forum Wife of Joe and Leora... A lot of great peoiple here, willing to share all of their experiences to make it easier for others.

I had STGIII SCC Tonsils....nine weeks of Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5FU and an additional seven weeks of concurrent weekly Carboplatin and 35 daily rad sessions. Over two years post treatment, and all scans have been clear.

I'm not sure and definitely not a medical professional. But I think that most of the chemo is flushed through your system relatively fast. One of the reasons they want you to drink a lot and stay very hydrated. Especially Cisplatin that can cause damage to kidneys, hearing and a ton of other things.

Granted for the first few days post chemo, I imagine you still have some residual flowing through you.

Thoughts and Prayers,
    John
  • Baygal
    Baygal Member Posts: 34
    Posting for my wife.
    We too could use some advice. My wife Vickie and I learned today that she has stage 3 SCC of the base of tongue. As I'm sure all of you can relate, we are pretty shook up over it. She has her PET scan tomorrow.We meet the oncologist Monday and her biopsy is Tuesday. We're sailing in uncharted waters, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob
  • Skiffin16
    Baygal said:

Posting for my wife.
    We too could use some advice. My wife Vickie and I learned today that she has stage 3 SCC of the base of tongue. As I'm sure all of you can relate, we are pretty shook up over it. She has her PET scan tomorrow.We meet the oncologist Monday and her biopsy is Tuesday. We're sailing in uncharted waters, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob

Welcome Bob...
    So sorry for your situation and wife's diagnosis....

Welcome to the forum, you found a great place to be.

First, check out the SuperThread, ton's of newbie info and links;

SuperThread

Next, stay calm as you can, maintain a positive attitude. Most importantly, know that this is very doable and has a pretty high success rate.

It's definitely not a cake walk, and is a rough diet to say the least...but very doable.

Thoughts & Prayers,
    John
  • Hondo
    Baygal said:

Posting for my wife.
    Bob

Problems Posting
    Is it just me or any one else havIs it jIs it just me or any one else having problems postingust me or any one else having problems postinging probl
  • Baygal
    Baygal Member Posts: 34
    Skiffin16 said:

Welcome Bob...
    So sorry for your situation and wife's diagnosis....

Welcome to the forum, you found a great place to be.

First, check out the SuperThread, ton's of newbie info and links;

SuperThread

Next, stay calm as you can, maintain a positive attitude. Most importantly, know that this is very doable and has a pretty high success rate.

It's definitely not a cake walk, and is a rough diet to say the least...but very doable.

Thoughts & Prayers,
    John

Thanks John
    Not looking forward to this journey but good to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel.